Community Discussions and Support
Changing from Gmail app password to OAuth 2 in PMAIL v8.1

System: Windows 7 (x64)

I had been using PMAIL v8.0 since updating from v4.73 back in March 2022. Then in June 2022 I set-up a Gmail 2 stage app password, which has been working fine ever since for accessing my Gmail account for POP, SMTP, and IMAP.

I have been patiently waiting for over a year now for either a patch for the v8.0 Dictionary problem to be issued, or a final version of PMAIL v8.1. As neither of those seems likely anymore, I yesterday updated PMAIL to the newest v8.1 beta that David released on Jan 10, 2023. It appears to be working fine.

3 Questions:
1) Is there any advantage in changing from using my Gmail app password set-up to OAuth 2.0?
2) Are there any disadvantages?
3) Should I just wait for OAuth 2.1?

Finally: if I do decide to update PMAIL v8.1 to OAuth 2.0, how is that done?

Thanks in advance for any and all replies.

System: Windows 7 (x64) I had been using PMAIL v8.0 since updating from v4.73 back in March 2022. Then in June 2022 I set-up a Gmail 2 stage app password, which has been working fine ever since for accessing my Gmail account for POP, SMTP, and IMAP. I have been patiently waiting for over a year now for either a patch for the v8.0 Dictionary problem to be issued, or a final version of PMAIL v8.1. As neither of those seems likely anymore, I yesterday updated PMAIL to the newest v8.1 beta that David released on Jan 10, 2023. It appears to be working fine. 3 Questions: 1) Is there any advantage in changing from using my Gmail app password set-up to OAuth 2.0? 2) Are there any disadvantages? 3) Should I just wait for OAuth 2.1? Finally: if I do decide to update PMAIL v8.1 to OAuth 2.0, how is that done? Thanks in advance for any and all replies.

1) Is there any advantage in changing from using my Gmail app password set-up to OAuth 2.0?

No.

2) Are there any disadvantages?

No.

3) Should I just wait for OAuth 2.1?

IDK anything about OAuth 2.1.

Finally: if I do decide to update PMAIL v8.1 to OAuth 2.0, how is that done?

In the Internet options of Pegasus Mail v4.81 is a "Gmail" button that automates the process, part of which is logging in to Google. There are two things that I have learned since that feature was introduced:

1. Creation of a Gmail profile is identity specific so if you use multiple identities be sure to trigger it while as the profile that connects to the Gmail account.
  2. Google randomly invalidates OAUTH credentials. One day connections work fine then suddenly they fail with an invalid credentials error. There is no warning nor has there been any consistency in the time between when the OAUTH profile was created and when the credential failure occurs.

IMO, if all is working fine with an app password then stick with it until Google stops supporting it.

[quote="pid:56600, uid:34558"]1) Is there any advantage in changing from using my Gmail app password set-up to OAuth 2.0?[/quote] No. [quote="pid:56600, uid:34558"]2) Are there any disadvantages?[/quote] No. [quote="pid:56600, uid:34558"]3) Should I just wait for OAuth 2.1?[/quote] IDK anything about OAuth 2.1. [quote="pid:56600, uid:34558"]Finally: if I do decide to update PMAIL v8.1 to OAuth 2.0, how is that done?[/quote] In the Internet options of Pegasus Mail v4.81 is a "Gmail" button that automates the process, part of which is logging in to Google. There are two things that I have learned since that feature was introduced: 1. Creation of a Gmail profile is identity specific so if you use multiple identities be sure to trigger it while as the profile that connects to the Gmail account. 2. Google randomly invalidates OAUTH credentials. One day connections work fine then suddenly they fail with an invalid credentials error. There is no warning nor has there been any consistency in the time between when the OAUTH profile was created and when the credential failure occurs. IMO, if all is working fine with an app password then stick with it until Google stops supporting it.

Thank you Brian for your quick reply, and the advice you offered.
I'll leave things as they are for now, and follow the proverb "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" until Google changes something on their end that creates a problem.

Thank you Brian for your quick reply, and the advice you offered. I'll leave things as they are for now, and follow the proverb "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" until Google changes something on their end that creates a problem.
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft