Community Discussions and Support
Unable to "Move" emails into a different folder. PMail freezes

Hi all

I have been using v4.71 happily on Windows 10 for some time. Since a few days ago, every time I press the "Move" button to move a message from the "New Mail Folder" into a specific folder, PegasusMail freezes.

Task Manager doesn't show any problem (not "Not Responding"smile but the only way to unfreeze is to "End Task" and reload.

The move presets 1-6 work without a problem. The freezing problem is just when using the Move button.

Upgrading to v4.80 hasn't solved the problem. Though I haven't tried a fresh installation, as I suspect this has to be done in a strict manner.

Windows version notes attached.

Any advice appreciated.
Thanks!
Chris

Hi all I have been using v4.71 happily on Windows 10 for some time. Since a few days ago, every time I press the "Move" button to move a message from the "New Mail Folder" into a specific folder, PegasusMail freezes. Task Manager doesn't show any problem (not "Not Responding") but the only way to unfreeze is to "End Task" and reload. The move presets 1-6 work without a problem. The freezing problem is just when using the Move button. Upgrading to v4.80 hasn't solved the problem. Though I haven't tried a fresh installation, as I suspect this has to be done in a strict manner. Windows version notes attached. Any advice appreciated. Thanks! Chris [6644d3b45dc27](serve/attachment&path=6644d3b45dc27)

Just to point out. The New Mail folder isn't actually a folder, but is the CNM message files located in the users mail directory. Would guess the CNM file must have some bad code that is not allowing Pegasus to move it to a folder.

Would close Pegasus, and look at the CNM files to figure which one is causing the issue.

Might see some code could be fixed, or just might be a corrupted CNM file that just needs to be removed.

Just to point out. The New Mail folder isn't actually a folder, but is the CNM message files located in the users mail directory. Would guess the CNM file must have some bad code that is not allowing Pegasus to move it to a folder. Would close Pegasus, and look at the CNM files to figure which one is causing the issue. Might see some code could be fixed, or just might be a corrupted CNM file that just needs to be removed.

mikes@guam.net

Does it happen when you attempt to move any message or just one specific one?

FWIW, a fresh installation is unlikely to fix your problem.

BTW, v4.80 has a couple of bugs, one being the loss of the user-saved words dictionary. If you haven't used the spell checker since upgrading then don't until advised of the workaround or upgrading to v4.81 beta. I recommend upgrading to the beta. The bugs in v4.80 have been fixed and it has been solid. If you wish to stay on v4.80 then post back for the details preserving the user-saved words dictionary

Does it happen when you attempt to move any message or just one specific one? FWIW, a fresh installation is unlikely to fix your problem. BTW, v4.80 has a couple of bugs, one being the loss of the user-saved words dictionary. If you haven't used the spell checker since upgrading then don't until advised of the workaround or upgrading to v4.81 beta. I recommend upgrading to the beta. The bugs in v4.80 have been fixed and it has been solid. If you wish to stay on v4.80 then post back for the details preserving the user-saved words dictionary

I have been using v4.71 happily on Windows 10 for some time. Since a few days ago, every time I press the "Move" button to move a message from the "New Mail Folder" into a specific folder, PegasusMail freezes.

Since you don't mention it, I suppose the folder selection dialog doesn't show up? If so it is located somewhere out of screen and waiting for you to select the target folder. For solving this issue you need to open your new mail directory in Windows (file) Explorer, the path can be found via PM's main menu Help > About Pegasus Mail > Info button (at the bottom) which opens a screen showing several configuration infos including the one you'll need to figure out.

In the new mail directory you would need to open the file STATE.PMJ (PM should be closed and a backup copy of the file created) using a plain text editor like the former Notepad which is now simply called "Editor", don't use anything creating formatted output files unless you know how to prevent this. Now scan this file for a line containing [SELFOL], somewhere below this one should be an entry starting with Select a mail folder: Simply remove this single whole line, save and close the file and restart Pegasus Mail. Next time you'd want to move a message the folder selection dialog will show up in its default position so you can access it again. If this works for you delete the file's backup and you're done.

[quote="pid:56603, uid:41238"]I have been using v4.71 happily on Windows 10 for some time. Since a few days ago, every time I press the "Move" button to move a message from the "New Mail Folder" into a specific folder, PegasusMail freezes.[/quote] Since you don't mention it, I suppose the folder selection dialog doesn't show up? If so it is located somewhere out of screen and waiting for you to select the target folder. For solving this issue you need to open your new mail directory in Windows (file) Explorer, the path can be found via PM's main menu Help > About Pegasus Mail > Info button (at the bottom) which opens a screen showing several configuration infos including the one you'll need to figure out. In the new mail directory you would need to open the file STATE.PMJ (PM should be closed and a backup copy of the file created) using a plain text editor like the former Notepad which is now simply called "Editor", don't use anything creating formatted output files unless you know how to prevent this. Now scan this file for a line containing [SELFOL], somewhere below this one should be an entry starting with _Select a mail folder_: Simply remove this single whole line, save and close the file and restart Pegasus Mail. Next time you'd want to move a message the folder selection dialog will show up in its default position so you can access it again. If this works for you delete the file's backup and you're done.
			Michael
--
IERenderer's Homepage
PGP Key ID (RSA 2048): 0xC45D831B
S/MIME Fingerprint: 94C6B471 0C623088 A5B27701 742B8666 3B7E657C
edited May 15 at 10:35 pm

THE SOLUTION. Thanks for all the suggestions. Michael guessed correctly, it turns out. I had been using my laptop with two external monitors at a different site. Reverting to a single external monitor, PMail was getting confused and wasn't displaying the "Select a Mail Folder" dialog box where it was visible.
A klittle playing around has brought the dialog box back onto the same screen as the main app.
A thought: Shou;ld PMail be coded so that dialog box always appears on the same screen as the main app?
P.S. I can't see how to reply to messages. How?

Hi all

Task Manager doesn't show any problem (not "Not Responding"smile but the only way to unfreeze is to "End Task" and reload.

The move presets 1-6 work without a problem. The freezing problem is just when using the Move button.

Upgrading to v4.80 hasn't solved the problem. Though I haven't tried a fresh installation, as I suspect this has to be done in a strict manner.

Windows version notes attached.

Any advice appreciated.
Thanks!
Chris

THE SOLUTION. Thanks for all the suggestions. Michael guessed correctly, it turns out. I had been using my laptop with two external monitors at a different site. Reverting to a single external monitor, PMail was getting confused and wasn't displaying the "Select a Mail Folder" dialog box where it was visible. A klittle playing around has brought the dialog box back onto the same screen as the main app. A thought: Shou;ld PMail be coded so that dialog box always appears on the same screen as the main app? P.S. I can't see how to reply to messages. How? Hi all I have been using v4.71 happily on Windows 10 for some time. Since a few days ago, every time I press the "Move" button to move a message from the "New Mail Folder" into a specific folder, PegasusMail freezes. Task Manager doesn't show any problem (not "Not Responding") but the only way to unfreeze is to "End Task" and reload. The move presets 1-6 work without a problem. The freezing problem is just when using the Move button. Upgrading to v4.80 hasn't solved the problem. Though I haven't tried a fresh installation, as I suspect this has to be done in a strict manner. Windows version notes attached. Any advice appreciated. Thanks! Chris [6644d3b45dc27](serve/attachment&path=6644d3b45dc27)

P.S. I can't see how to reply to messages. How?

If you want to quote a previous post just highlight some of its text and you'll note a sliding clickable "dot" coming into view, otherwise just go to the right column's bottom on the forum page you're viewing to find the reply bar ...66461fe1260d0
The screenshot shows both of these.

[quote="pid:56607, uid:41238"]P.S. I can't see how to reply to messages. How?[/quote] If you want to quote a previous post just highlight some of its text and you'll note a sliding clickable "dot" coming into view, otherwise just go to the right column's bottom on the forum page you're viewing to find the reply bar ...![66461fe1260d0](serve/attachment&path=66461fe1260d0) The screenshot shows both of these.
			Michael
--
IERenderer's Homepage
PGP Key ID (RSA 2048): 0xC45D831B
S/MIME Fingerprint: 94C6B471 0C623088 A5B27701 742B8666 3B7E657C
edited May 16 at 4:03 pm
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft