Community Discussions and Support
home windows 10 desktop running fine, now want to add laptop and see emails via local ethernet, questions

Pegasus 4.73 is working fine on the Dell W10 desktop, I have added a W10 pro laptop to the home desktop setup and the two are talking fairly nicely over local ethernet.
I want to keep the desktop as the primary email machine and at the same time be able to read emails on the laptop in another part of the house.
I could run a separate Pegasus on the laptop but how do I set it up to see the inbox of the desktop Pegasus? Is that possible? Or I can ignore the desktop Pegasus and login with the laptop to the ISP webmail server and read emails that way. I would prefer the first method, Pegasus on both machines. But is that possible? I need guidance on the setup steps.

Pegasus 4.73 is working fine on the Dell W10 desktop, I have added a W10 pro laptop to the home desktop setup and the two are talking fairly nicely over local ethernet. I want to keep the desktop as the primary email machine and at the same time be able to read emails on the laptop in another part of the house. I could run a separate Pegasus on the laptop but how do I set it up to see the inbox of the desktop Pegasus? Is that possible? Or I can ignore the desktop Pegasus and login with the laptop to the ISP webmail server and read emails that way. I would prefer the first method, Pegasus on both machines. But is that possible? I need guidance on the setup steps.

Access to a mailbox by multiple installations of Pegasus Mail is possible BUT
simultaneous access of a mailbox by multiple instances of Pegasus Mail can lead to corruption of both data and configuration settings. This would mean that before you run Pegasus Mail on the desktop machine you must insure that it is not running on the laptop, and vice versa. Only you can tell whether this is practical.

That said, in order for it to work, the mailbox directory would need to be on a network share that each machine sees as having the same drive letter. That is easy in a client/server relationship but I don't know whether it can be done between two Win10 or Win11 PCs.

Another consideration is that the laptop is portable. The scenario above would not work when the laptop was off the local LAN.

So, IMHO, pick one machine as the local repository and configure the other to access the host mailbox either via the host's web interface or by using Pegasus Mail via IMAP. Something to keep in mind about this is that the convenience of the Pegasus Mail copies to self feature is lost when mail is sent from the machine that is not the local repository. The only way to get a copy of a sent message into the local repository is to BCC yourself. Even then, it appears as an incoming message in Pegasus Mail, not as a copyself.

I hope that all makes sense.

Access to a mailbox by multiple installations of Pegasus Mail is possible **BUT** simultaneous access of a mailbox by multiple instances of Pegasus Mail can lead to corruption of both data and configuration settings. This would mean that before you run Pegasus Mail on the desktop machine you must insure that it is not running on the laptop, and vice versa. Only you can tell whether this is practical. That said, in order for it to work, the mailbox directory would need to be on a network share that each machine sees as having the same drive letter. That is easy in a client/server relationship but I don't know whether it can be done between two Win10 or Win11 PCs. Another consideration is that the laptop is portable. The scenario above would not work when the laptop was off the local LAN. So, IMHO, pick one machine as the local repository and configure the other to access the host mailbox either via the host's web interface or by using Pegasus Mail via IMAP. Something to keep in mind about this is that the convenience of the Pegasus Mail copies to self feature is lost when mail is sent from the machine that is not the local repository. The only way to get a copy of a sent message into the local repository is to BCC yourself. Even then, it appears as an incoming message in Pegasus Mail, not as a copyself. I hope that all makes sense.

Thank you, I have not much experience with this kind of thing but I think I understand. I shall return to that project tomorrow and if I get stuck I may need to ask more questions. Thanks again

Ted

Thank you, I have not much experience with this kind of thing but I think I understand. I shall return to that project tomorrow and if I get stuck I may need to ask more questions. Thanks again Ted

Just as another option. You could use VNC to actually have the notebook connect to the desktop and thus would be able to access the Pegasus on Desktop from notebook. Would just be setting up on local network, with no port mapping needed on router.

I've used TightVNC on windows for many years, and generally use Tigervnc on linux machine.

Set the VNC on desktop in server mode. Runs on port 5900 by default. Then would just need the viewer on the notebook to connect. That way all mail would stay on the Desktop.

With Windows VNC shares the primary display. With linux, it generally has service using a virtual display, so one can be using it locally, and be remotely connected.

Just another option.

Just as another option. You could use VNC to actually have the notebook connect to the desktop and thus would be able to access the Pegasus on Desktop from notebook. Would just be setting up on local network, with no port mapping needed on router. I've used TightVNC on windows for many years, and generally use Tigervnc on linux machine. Set the VNC on desktop in server mode. Runs on port 5900 by default. Then would just need the viewer on the notebook to connect. That way all mail would stay on the Desktop. With Windows VNC shares the primary display. With linux, it generally has service using a virtual display, so one can be using it locally, and be remotely connected. Just another option.

mikes@guam.net

Thank you very much for the suggestion of TightVNC, I went to their website to catch up with the basics.
The laptop and the desktop are connected now via the ethernet link installed for the internet service. Windows has something called remote desktop connection and it is compatible with the laptop (W10pro) but not with the desktop (W10std), unless I want to spend US$100 to upgrade the W10 machine to W10pro, which I am trying to work around.
Much to my own surprise following some hours poking around in the Windows security settings and sharing rules I succeeded in getting the two machines to talk nicely so far as opening folders and files in both directions and saving both locally and back on the desktop (which is the original machine of the two). What I have yet to try is getting PM to run on the desktop and viewing the result on the laptop, that would be a desirable result if it will work.
At this stage I think I'll keep VNC in reserve in case I can't get the ad hoc windows hookup to play nicer yet.
Thank you again.
Ted

Thank you very much for the suggestion of TightVNC, I went to their website to catch up with the basics. The laptop and the desktop are connected now via the ethernet link installed for the internet service. Windows has something called remote desktop connection and it is compatible with the laptop (W10pro) but not with the desktop (W10std), unless I want to spend US$100 to upgrade the W10 machine to W10pro, which I am trying to work around. Much to my own surprise following some hours poking around in the Windows security settings and sharing rules I succeeded in getting the two machines to talk nicely so far as opening folders and files in both directions and saving both locally and back on the desktop (which is the original machine of the two). What I have yet to try is getting PM to run on the desktop and viewing the result on the laptop, that would be a desirable result if it will work. At this stage I think I'll keep VNC in reserve in case I can't get the ad hoc windows hookup to play nicer yet. Thank you again. Ted

Thank you very much for the suggestion of TightVNC, I went to their website to catch up with the basics.
The laptop and the desktop are connected now via the ethernet link installed for the internet service. Windows has something called remote desktop connection and it is compatible with the laptop (W10pro) but not with the desktop (W10std), unless I want to spend US$100 to upgrade the W10 machine to W10pro, which I am trying to work around.
Much to my own surprise following some hours poking around in the Windows security settings and sharing rules I succeeded in getting the two machines to talk nicely so far as opening folders and files in both directions and saving both locally and back on the desktop (which is the original machine of the two). What I have yet to try is getting PM to run on the desktop and viewing the result on the laptop, that would be a desirable result if it will work.
At this stage I think I'll keep VNC in reserve in case I can't get the ad hoc windows hookup to play nicer yet.
Thank you again.
Ted

Thank you very much for the suggestion of TightVNC, I went to their website to catch up with the basics. The laptop and the desktop are connected now via the ethernet link installed for the internet service. Windows has something called remote desktop connection and it is compatible with the laptop (W10pro) but not with the desktop (W10std), unless I want to spend US$100 to upgrade the W10 machine to W10pro, which I am trying to work around. Much to my own surprise following some hours poking around in the Windows security settings and sharing rules I succeeded in getting the two machines to talk nicely so far as opening folders and files in both directions and saving both locally and back on the desktop (which is the original machine of the two). What I have yet to try is getting PM to run on the desktop and viewing the result on the laptop, that would be a desirable result if it will work. At this stage I think I'll keep VNC in reserve in case I can't get the ad hoc windows hookup to play nicer yet. Thank you again. Ted

In a multi-user network environment, Pegasus Mail is installed on a network PC, typically a server but that is not necessary.. It's directory is set as a network share with a drive letter, let's say drive P:, and let's refer to this machine as the host. All PC's/users on the network that have the appropriate permissions can then run the instance of Pegasus Mail that is on the host (eg: P:\Programs\Pmail\winpm.32.exe <commandline options> ). For Pegasus Mail to be fully functional on the non-host machines, some registry entries must be created. this can be done with a utility included with Pegasus Mail named wssetup.exe (read Workstation Setup)

Doing this kind of installation in a Windows server/client network (Domain) is relatively easy. I don't know about doing it in a Win10 Home and Win10 Pro network. I can help with the concepts but not with the execution.

Something I mentioned earlier was that two installations can not access the same mailbox at the same time so if you pursue this you need to understand that when you walk away from the desktop you will need to shutdown Pegasus Mail before you try to run Pegasus Mail on the laptop. The only way to avoid this would be to do a remote desktop connection from the laptop to the desktop instead of the shared installation scenario I described above.

Edit: It dawned on me that, IIRC, "Remote Desktop Connection" was removed from Win10, replaced with something called Quick Assist, which I don't know anything about.

In a multi-user network environment, Pegasus Mail is installed on a network PC, typically a server but that is not necessary.. It&#039;s directory is set as a network share with a drive letter, let&#039;s say drive P:, and let&#039;s refer to this machine as the host. All PC&#039;s/users on the network that have the appropriate permissions can then run the instance of Pegasus Mail that is on the host (eg: P:\Programs\Pmail\winpm.32.exe &lt;commandline options&gt; ). For Pegasus Mail to be fully functional on the non-host machines, some registry entries must be created. this can be done with a utility included with Pegasus Mail named wssetup.exe (read Workstation Setup) Doing this kind of installation in a Windows server/client network (Domain) is relatively easy. I don&#039;t know about doing it in a Win10 Home and Win10 Pro network. I can help with the concepts but not with the execution. Something I mentioned earlier was that two installations can not access the same mailbox at the same time so if you pursue this you need to understand that when you walk away from the desktop you will need to shutdown Pegasus Mail before you try to run Pegasus Mail on the laptop. The only way to avoid this would be to do a remote desktop connection from the laptop to the desktop instead of the shared installation scenario I described above. Edit: It dawned on me that, IIRC, &quot;Remote Desktop Connection&quot; was removed from Win10, replaced with something called Quick Assist, which I don&#039;t know anything about.
edited Jun 8 at 1:08 am

I just wanted to add that my reference to a remote desktop connection is that same suggestion as made by @msetzerii except I was thinking along the lines of Microsoft built-in tools rather than a third party utility. +1 for TightVNC if you go this route.

I just wanted to add that my reference to a remote desktop connection is that same suggestion as made by @msetzerii except I was thinking along the lines of Microsoft built-in tools rather than a third party utility. +1 for TightVNC if you go this route.

Good Points Brian. I'm not a windows users, so not sure on what Microsoft includes for desktop shareing or network sharing.

Started with Pegasus in 80's with Dos Version on Novell 2.2 servers. All mail was on server, and students and teachers could log into any machine, and Pegasus was running from servers directory, and pointed automatically to their mail directory on Novell server. Worked great. Mr. Harris did a great job.

TightVNC has been great, so perhaps Microsoft has some options. Don't know if just sharing directory, or Desktop sharing might be best.

With Linux it sets up a directory for each user, so you can run multiple users on same machine at same time with no issues. Just that IERender doesn't work with the wine, so generally needs to be uninstalled.

Hope you find the best solution that works for you.

Good Points Brian. I&#039;m not a windows users, so not sure on what Microsoft includes for desktop shareing or network sharing. Started with Pegasus in 80&#039;s with Dos Version on Novell 2.2 servers. All mail was on server, and students and teachers could log into any machine, and Pegasus was running from servers directory, and pointed automatically to their mail directory on Novell server. Worked great. Mr. Harris did a great job. TightVNC has been great, so perhaps Microsoft has some options. Don&#039;t know if just sharing directory, or Desktop sharing might be best. With Linux it sets up a directory for each user, so you can run multiple users on same machine at same time with no issues. Just that IERender doesn&#039;t work with the wine, so generally needs to be uninstalled. Hope you find the best solution that works for you.

mikes@guam.net

Hi, why you not just connect the PM on the laptop via IMAP, then you work online inside your online postbox.

Only when you use on your Desktop Pop3 with deleting mails in online postbox then you for sure can't see them anymore on you notebook.

Hi, why you not just connect the PM on the laptop via IMAP, then you work online inside your online postbox. Only when you use on your Desktop Pop3 with deleting mails in online postbox then you for sure can&#039;t see them anymore on you notebook.

Pegasus v4.81 Beta

live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft