Community Discussions and Support
Outlook Cutting Off Basic Authentication on 09/16/2024

Some suggestions to continue using your Outlook.com email address with Pegasus:

Receiving:
Set Outlook to forward all email to a Gmail account.
Forwarding in this way, unlike forwarding individual emails, preserves the original sender/from.
You can then use POP3 in Pegasus to download your Outlook emails from your Gmail account.
Caveats:
Your rules in Outlook.com will not be triggered, so (eg) daily newspaper updates which might have been directed to an Outlook folder and away from the Inbox will be forwarded to Gmail.
This might prompt users to trim their email subscriptions; I am doing that now.
Junk mail (as determined by Outlook) will not be forwarded so it must be checked.

Sending:
Set your Web Gmail account to allow sending from Gmail using your Outlook email.
Then set the Outlook SMTP parameters in Pegasus to use Gmail's SMTP definition.
This works, allowing sending directly from Pegasus, and the From: will be your Outlook address.

Some headers (eg return address) will show your Gmail address but not the most important ones.

Incidentally, Gmail can be set to pick up emails using POP3 but it cannot now access Outlook because of OAUTH2.

I am using the setup above for now to maintain my ability to send/receive from Pegasus using my Outlook email address but I will probably change to Thunderbird in the medium term.

Some suggestions to continue using your Outlook.com email address with Pegasus: Receiving: Set Outlook to forward all email to a Gmail account. Forwarding in this way, unlike forwarding individual emails, preserves the original sender/from. You can then use POP3 in Pegasus to download your Outlook emails from your Gmail account. Caveats: Your rules in Outlook.com will not be triggered, so (eg) daily newspaper updates which might have been directed to an Outlook folder and away from the Inbox will be forwarded to Gmail. This might prompt users to trim their email subscriptions; I am doing that now. Junk mail (as determined by Outlook) will not be forwarded so it must be checked. Sending: Set your Web Gmail account to allow sending from Gmail using your Outlook email. Then set the Outlook SMTP parameters in Pegasus to use Gmail's SMTP definition. This works, allowing sending directly from Pegasus, and the From: will be your Outlook address. Some headers (eg return address) will show your Gmail address but not the most important ones. Incidentally, Gmail can be set to pick up emails using POP3 but it cannot now access Outlook because of OAUTH2. I am using the setup above for now to maintain my ability to send/receive from Pegasus using my Outlook email address but I will probably change to Thunderbird in the medium term.

Set Outlook to forward all email to a Gmail account

I tried this. It was simple to set up the rule but didn't work well in practice. Gmail was "suspicious" of the redirected emails. It sent around one-third of them to my spam folder, including messages from people in my Google contacts. It bounced a few emails without notifying me (I knew because I left them on Outlook after forwarding). These included emails from banks, resulting in a text from my bank to say that their email to me had been rejected.
I'm getting used to Thunderbird, which uses folders like Pegasus and allows you to save emails locally. It does feel rather disloyal, though, after 30 years with Pegasus.
Currently I'm still using Pegasus with Gmail and an app password, so that I can send group emails from a distribution list, which is easy to set up with Pegasus by copying in an Excel file.

[quote="pid:57081, uid:27623"]Set Outlook to forward all email to a Gmail account[/quote] I tried this. It was simple to set up the rule but didn't work well in practice. Gmail was "suspicious" of the redirected emails. It sent around one-third of them to my spam folder, including messages from people in my Google contacts. It bounced a few emails without notifying me (I knew because I left them on Outlook after forwarding). These included emails from banks, resulting in a text from my bank to say that their email to me had been rejected. I'm getting used to Thunderbird, which uses folders like Pegasus and allows you to save emails locally. It does feel rather disloyal, though, after 30 years with Pegasus. Currently I'm still using Pegasus with Gmail and an app password, so that I can send group emails from a distribution list, which is easy to set up with Pegasus by copying in an Excel file.

Some suggestions to continue using your Outlook.com email address with Pegasus:

I too have been busy trying to find alternatives to PMail no longer connecting to Outlook. I tried using GMail's Gmailify which mirrors another site but received varying results. Worked perfectly to get my Outlook folders pulled over to Gmail which was my immediate concern.

Between the 3 major email ISPs, Outlook (for me!) has the best features and I've been SO happy with it I was getting close to subscribing. Now I'm torn between giving up Outlook or Pmail (30 year history)

Still experimenting....

It does feel rather disloyal, though, after 30 years with Pegasus.

Isn't it funny that we have those feelings associated with a piece of software? I KNOW David Harris does... this is HIS baby and he's been nursing it for over 30 years. I programmed for local businesses (under DOS) using dBase, compiling with Clipper. Each of those programs were MY babies, re-written to venture into the 21st century, and coddled until DOS finally gasped its last breath, trampled under the heal of Windows.

I understand David's reluctance to weave the OAuth2 maze again after his experience with GMail... I was unwilling to learn another programming language simply to re-write the applications I had already written.

and yet... I know the feelings he is experiencing as his pet starts showing its age and enters the path leading to obsolescence. The "views" on this thread have surpassed 1K which means many more people are seeking a solution than are posting to the thread. Only those of us that have spent decades with the most excellent piece of email software I ever tested, are kicking up our heels.

I KNOW what I should do... and it's the same as Brian... bite the bullet and move to a more current application... pull in existing records from PMail and rewrite the rest. Utilize PMail for record storage retrieval or pay $40 for an app to transfer all those old records to Thunderbird.

It's just difficult to say goodbye to an old and trusted friend. sigh...

[quote="pid:57081, uid:27623"]Some suggestions to continue using your Outlook.com email address with Pegasus:[/quote] I too have been busy trying to find alternatives to PMail no longer connecting to Outlook. I tried using GMail's Gmailify which mirrors another site but received varying results. Worked perfectly to get my Outlook folders pulled over to Gmail which was my immediate concern. Between the 3 major email ISPs, Outlook (for me!) has the best features and I've been SO happy with it I was getting close to subscribing. Now I'm torn between giving up Outlook or Pmail (30 year history) Still experimenting.... [quote="pid:57082, uid:42001"]It does feel rather disloyal, though, after 30 years with Pegasus.[/quote] Isn't it funny that we have those feelings associated with a piece of software? I KNOW David Harris does... this is HIS baby and he's been nursing it for over 30 years. I programmed for local businesses (under DOS) using dBase, compiling with Clipper. Each of those programs were MY babies, re-written to venture into the 21st century, and coddled until DOS finally gasped its last breath, trampled under the heal of Windows. I understand David's reluctance to weave the OAuth2 maze again after his experience with GMail... I was unwilling to learn another programming language simply to re-write the applications I had already written. and yet... I know the feelings he is experiencing as his pet starts showing its age and enters the path leading to obsolescence. The "views" on this thread have surpassed 1K which means many more people are seeking a solution than are posting to the thread. Only those of us that have spent decades with the most excellent piece of email software I ever tested, are kicking up our heels. I KNOW what I should do... and it's the same as Brian... bite the bullet and move to a more current application... pull in existing records from PMail and rewrite the rest. Utilize PMail for record storage retrieval or pay $40 for an app to transfer all those old records to Thunderbird. It's just difficult to say goodbye to an old and trusted friend. sigh...

I KNOW what I should do... and it's the same as Brian... bite the bullet and move to a more current application.

That's not me. Fortunately, I never hitched my wagon to my outlook.com account. It ended up just being a test account. I'm now ignoring it, intending to do research into whether there is a way to close it.

I have email accounts with outlook.com, zoho.com, gmail.com, and gmx.com. I don't love any of them. Each one has an issue or two that I deal with. All but outlook.com work with Pegasus Mail and POP3.

[quote="pid:57084, uid:42003"]I KNOW what I should do... and it's the same as Brian... bite the bullet and move to a more current application.[/quote] That's not me. Fortunately, I never hitched my wagon to my outlook.com account. It ended up just being a test account. I'm now ignoring it, intending to do research into whether there is a way to close it. I have email accounts with outlook.com, zoho.com, gmail.com, and gmx.com. I don't love any of them. Each one has an issue or two that I deal with. All but outlook.com work with Pegasus Mail and POP3.

Not impressed with Outlook as ISP. Seems they go out of way to not support anything, but very limited of their old hardware XBOX?? I've used Pegasus since the old DOS version on Novell 2.2 server that evenually was server 7 Classrooms of computers with about 2000 total student/teachers. Later moved to Novell 4.x and everything just worked from any PC on Lan.

Had a windows 10 machine around just to have it, but then it didn't meet specs to install Windows 11?? Had an I3 CPU, but didn't have a high enough Gen for Windows 11. Wiped it out, and install latest Fedora 40 with no issue. Runs great.

Bougth a used HP notebook for about $120 and it has Windows 11. In setting it up did have to set up an outlook.com account, but never actually used it for anything. Did look at it from time to time. Had a number of ad messages at top, and was 25 Junk email message that I had never even used account for anything, so Microsoft must have shared email address..

Tried to setup it up for Pegasus, but for long time could not get it to even prompt me to create and app password, eventually had two step setup with phone, and then install the microsoft authenticator? But that was a mess, at one point kept getting messages that it couldn't contact phone, so could get into account at all. Now isn't sending any messages to phone, and seems to open ok in browser, but search firefox for any password, but nothing there? Tried to connect on another PC, and got a screen prompting me to create a new outlook account. No option to setup to use other, and no password to enter? So, for me it is a fake account. Sometimes, it sends an authorization code to my gmail account that has the same name to get in, but don't understand when or why it decides to do that.

Just Micro$oft is looking to get people so dependant at some point, they will figure a way to make a lot of money.
Deleted all email, so now get a funny message asking how I like my empty mail box??

Was thinking the Authenticator might send a message to phone, to confirm that you are connecting with an app, but doesn't have any option to setup more than about 6 apps they list. Whatsapp does prompt to check once in a while to confirm it is you.

Left a feed back message, but got no response.
Good Luck to those that still spend time with LookOut..

Not impressed with Outlook as ISP. Seems they go out of way to not support anything, but very limited of their old hardware XBOX?? I've used Pegasus since the old DOS version on Novell 2.2 server that evenually was server 7 Classrooms of computers with about 2000 total student/teachers. Later moved to Novell 4.x and everything just worked from any PC on Lan. Had a windows 10 machine around just to have it, but then it didn't meet specs to install Windows 11?? Had an I3 CPU, but didn't have a high enough Gen for Windows 11. Wiped it out, and install latest Fedora 40 with no issue. Runs great. Bougth a used HP notebook for about $120 and it has Windows 11. In setting it up did have to set up an outlook.com account, but never actually used it for anything. Did look at it from time to time. Had a number of ad messages at top, and was 25 Junk email message that I had never even used account for anything, so Microsoft must have shared email address.. Tried to setup it up for Pegasus, but for long time could not get it to even prompt me to create and app password, eventually had two step setup with phone, and then install the microsoft authenticator? But that was a mess, at one point kept getting messages that it couldn't contact phone, so could get into account at all. Now isn't sending any messages to phone, and seems to open ok in browser, but search firefox for any password, but nothing there? Tried to connect on another PC, and got a screen prompting me to create a new outlook account. No option to setup to use other, and no password to enter? So, for me it is a fake account. Sometimes, it sends an authorization code to my gmail account that has the same name to get in, but don't understand when or why it decides to do that. Just Micro$oft is looking to get people so dependant at some point, they will figure a way to make a lot of money. Deleted all email, so now get a funny message asking how I like my empty mail box?? Was thinking the Authenticator might send a message to phone, to confirm that you are connecting with an app, but doesn't have any option to setup more than about 6 apps they list. Whatsapp does prompt to check once in a while to confirm it is you. Left a feed back message, but got no response. Good Luck to those that still spend time with LookOut..

mikes@guam.net

Hi Everyone...longtime Pegasus Mail user with an MS Outlook account since the early hotmail days. I'm not in a position to setup a new email address with another provider.

Has it been confirmed that there will be no development in the creation of an oauth solution for MS Outlook email accounts?

Thanks

Hi Everyone...longtime Pegasus Mail user with an MS Outlook account since the early hotmail days. I'm not in a position to setup a new email address with another provider. Has it been confirmed that there will be no development in the creation of an oauth solution for MS Outlook email accounts? Thanks

Has it been confirmed that there will be no development in the creation of an oauth solution for MS Outlook email accounts?

Yes. David Harris, the developer of Pegasus Mail, has stated that does not have the resources or the knowledge to build an OAuth2 module for MS.

[quote="pid:57087, uid:45807"]Has it been confirmed that there will be no development in the creation of an oauth solution for MS Outlook email accounts?[/quote] Yes. David Harris, the developer of Pegasus Mail, has stated that does not have the resources or the knowledge to build an OAuth2 module for MS.

That is unfortunate, I'm sorry I don't follow the community.

I'm assuming other providers such as Yahoo will also switch you oauth overtime. Has he looked into a paid option?

I apologise if I'm asking questions that have already been answered.

That is unfortunate, I'm sorry I don't follow the community. I'm assuming other providers such as Yahoo will also switch you oauth overtime. Has he looked into a paid option? I apologise if I'm asking questions that have already been answered.

Think it is more that MicroSoft has not put out any information on it. Only seems to list app password options for about 6 options, and they are all Microsoft stuff like XBOX??

Mr. Harris got some info from Gmail originally, and worked on it, but at one point think they wanted him to pay like $10,000 for some license, but fortunately, they eventual stopped that. But he got a system working, but then had to submit it, and then he had to jump thru all kinds of hops to get it finally stamped OK by them.

I've got a outlook account, and now every time I go to the web page, it has to send a 6 digit code to my gmail account that is linked to the outlook account, and I have to enter that number??

So, seems outlook.com has no interest in making a system that works for users. Only ever got ads and junk mail in the account anyway.

I still use the gmail app password, which works fine. 90% of my email is with my local ISP going back to the late 80s. Using Pegasus since late 80s as well with Novell 2.2 server and DOS version.

Think it is more that MicroSoft has not put out any information on it. Only seems to list app password options for about 6 options, and they are all Microsoft stuff like XBOX?? Mr. Harris got some info from Gmail originally, and worked on it, but at one point think they wanted him to pay like $10,000 for some license, but fortunately, they eventual stopped that. But he got a system working, but then had to submit it, and then he had to jump thru all kinds of hops to get it finally stamped OK by them. I've got a outlook account, and now every time I go to the web page, it has to send a 6 digit code to my gmail account that is linked to the outlook account, and I have to enter that number?? So, seems outlook.com has no interest in making a system that works for users. Only ever got ads and junk mail in the account anyway. I still use the gmail app password, which works fine. 90% of my email is with my local ISP going back to the late 80s. Using Pegasus since late 80s as well with Novell 2.2 server and DOS version.

mikes@guam.net

Has he looked into a paid option?

What is your idea of a "paid option"?

[quote="pid:57089, uid:45807"]Has he looked into a paid option?[/quote] What is your idea of a "paid option"?
			Michael
--
IERenderer's Homepage
PGP Key ID (RSA 2048): 0xC45D831B
S/MIME Fingerprint: 94C6B471 0C623088 A5B27701 742B8666 3B7E657C

I've been looking around the forum and home page and bringing myself upto speed. I didn't realise it was a one man show.

Personally I have been using this software since the mid 1990s, a piece of software that I use on daily basis. I would have no issue paying for it such as $100? I pay for other software that I use.

Looks like David has had some health issues, could he not use the money to get someone in to help him with some of the work to get oath working and some of the other features and changes he has mentioned on his developers news page?

I'm not a sofware developer and have no idea of what the costs would be however, just this thread has had 1.2k views. There is a significant user base.

I've been looking around the forum and home page and bringing myself upto speed. I didn't realise it was a one man show. Personally I have been using this software since the mid 1990s, a piece of software that I use on daily basis. I would have no issue paying for it such as $100? I pay for other software that I use. Looks like David has had some health issues, could he not use the money to get someone in to help him with some of the work to get oath working and some of the other features and changes he has mentioned on his developers news page? I'm not a sofware developer and have no idea of what the costs would be however, just this thread has had 1.2k views. There is a significant user base.

I've been looking around the forum and home page and bringing myself upto speed. I didn't realise it was a one man show.

Personally I have been using this software since the mid 1990s, a piece of software that I use on daily basis. I would have no issue paying for it such as $100? I pay for other software that I use.

Looks like David has had some health issues, could he not use the money to get someone in to help him with some of the work to get oath working and some of the other features and changes he has mentioned on his developers news page?

I'm not a sofware developer and have no idea of what the costs would be however, just this thread has had 1.2k views. There is a significant user base.

I've been looking around the forum and home page and bringing myself upto speed. I didn't realise it was a one man show. Personally I have been using this software since the mid 1990s, a piece of software that I use on daily basis. I would have no issue paying for it such as $100? I pay for other software that I use. Looks like David has had some health issues, could he not use the money to get someone in to help him with some of the work to get oath working and some of the other features and changes he has mentioned on his developers news page? I'm not a sofware developer and have no idea of what the costs would be however, just this thread has had 1.2k views. There is a significant user base.

To: msetzerii

"I've got a outlook account, and now every time I go to the web page, it has to send a 6 digit code to my gmail account that is linked to the outlook account, and I have to enter that number??"

You should not have to do this. There should be an option to bypass that procedure - on your own secure system only of course.
I use Outlook with just the app password.

Paid options for Pegasus software?
There could be different options here, similar to Mercury users.

1. Every user, even those not requiring OAUTH2, pay a Pegasus licence.
  2. Users requiring OUATH2 pay a fee for that versionPersonally I think everyone paying a small fee would be simplest.Of course it was great having this terrific free software but times change. It would be sad if Pegasus goes into terminal decline because it cannot handle OAUTH2 except with Gmail. Other mail platforms besides Outlook may introduce this.

The advantage of an emailer like Pegasus is that all emails from all sources can be held locally in organised folders. I had an even tougher experience than this OAUTH2 issue with an ISP supplying email services. My email was with Vodafone Ireland (vodafone.ie); they withdrew the service with 6 weeks notice and no forwarding. However my emails were stored locally in Pegasus. Now, at least our emails are still available via the web (or Outlook client).

However it seems I cannot download from Outlook to Pegasus anymore, so I will migrate to Thunderbird. I have started looking at this.

BTW, I can still access Outlook.com via the Samsung Email app on my Android smartphone. I set an app password on this client but I did not update it using OAUTH2; I don't know if that is supported. Why block only Pegasus? Or maybe only Windows programs?

To: msetzerii "I've got a outlook account, and now every time I go to the web page, it has to send a 6 digit code to my gmail account that is linked to the outlook account, and I have to enter that number??" You should not have to do this. There should be an option to bypass that procedure - on your own secure system only of course. I use Outlook with just the app password. Paid options for Pegasus software? There could be different options here, similar to Mercury users. 1. Every user, even those not requiring OAUTH2, pay a Pegasus licence. 2. Users requiring OUATH2 pay a fee for that version Personally I think everyone paying a small fee would be simplest. Of course it was great having this terrific free software but times change. It would be sad if Pegasus goes into terminal decline because it cannot handle OAUTH2 except with Gmail. Other mail platforms besides Outlook may introduce this. The advantage of an emailer like Pegasus is that all emails from all sources can be held locally in organised folders. I had an even tougher experience than this OAUTH2 issue with an ISP supplying email services. My email was with Vodafone Ireland (vodafone.ie); they withdrew the service with 6 weeks notice and no forwarding. However my emails were stored locally in Pegasus. Now, at least our emails are still available via the web (or Outlook client). However it seems I cannot download from Outlook to Pegasus anymore, so I will migrate to Thunderbird. I have started looking at this. BTW, I can still access Outlook.com via the Samsung Email app on my Android smartphone. I set an app password on this client but I did not update it using OAUTH2; I don't know if that is supported. Why block only Pegasus? Or maybe only Windows programs?

Why block only Pegasus? Or maybe only Windows programs?
It's an authentication issue. MS has blocked what they call "basic authentication" which appears to mean any sort of username/password authentication. They are forcing "modern authentication" which is currently OAuth 2.0 AFAIK. Any program or app that doesn't support this is being blocked. We observed the blocking roll out as if it was propagating across Microsoft servers. I suppose it is possible that basic authentication would still work if the server you hit has not yet put the block into effect.

BTW, I can still access Outlook.com via the Samsung Email app on my Android smartphone.

I found a comment on the web that states "The samsung email app use the modern auth if you choose "Office365" as the mail provider." Does that apply?
https://www.reddit.com/r/Office365/comments/m74g5n/conditional_access_to_allow_login_through_samsung/

I'm not a sofware developer and have no idea of what the costs would be however, just this thread has had 1.2k views. There is a significant user base

Don't be deceived by this. There is no way to know how many of these views were by bots. This forum does not display logged in users like many other forums do. If you are active on one of those you will likely see numerous bots logged in.

[quote="pid:57094, uid:27623"]Why block only Pegasus? Or maybe only Windows programs?[/quote] It's an authentication issue. MS has blocked what they call "basic authentication" which appears to mean any sort of username/password authentication. They are forcing "modern authentication" which is currently OAuth 2.0 AFAIK. Any program or app that doesn't support this is being blocked. We observed the blocking roll out as if it was propagating across Microsoft servers. I suppose it is possible that basic authentication would still work if the server you hit has not yet put the block into effect. [quote="pid:57094, uid:27623"]BTW, I can still access Outlook.com via the Samsung Email app on my Android smartphone.[/quote] I found a comment on the web that states "The samsung email app use the modern auth if you choose "Office365" as the mail provider." Does that apply? https://www.reddit.com/r/Office365/comments/m74g5n/conditional_access_to_allow_login_through_samsung/ [quote="pid:57093, uid:45807"]I'm not a sofware developer and have no idea of what the costs would be however, just this thread has had 1.2k views. There is a significant user base[/quote] Don't be deceived by this. There is no way to know how many of these views were by bots. This forum does not display logged in users like many other forums do. If you are active on one of those you will likely see numerous bots logged in.

Of course we cannot speak for David Harris, but it wouldn't only be a money issue: It's a "doing business" issue which adds another load of work on him not related to coding - aside from the fact of doing team work after a very long time of not doing so.

[quote="pid:57093, uid:45807"]I'm not a sofware developer and have no idea of what the costs would be however, just this thread has had 1.2k views. There is a significant user base.[/quote] Of course we cannot speak for David Harris, but it wouldn't only be a money issue: It's a "doing business" issue which adds another load of work on him not related to coding - aside from the fact of doing team work after a very long time of not doing so.
			Michael
--
IERenderer's Homepage

Don't be deceived by this. There is no way to know how many of these views were by bots.

Exactly, and I bet it's just the word "Outlook" drawing their attention ... We've already seen spam posts in related threads in the past.

[quote="pid:57095, uid:28772"]Don't be deceived by this. There is no way to know how many of these views were by bots.[/quote] Exactly, and I bet it's just the word "Outlook" drawing their attention ... We've already seen spam posts in related threads in the past.
			Michael
--
IERenderer's Homepage

I found a comment on the web that states "The samsung email app use the modern auth if you choose "Office365" as the mail provider." Does that apply?
https://www.reddit.com/r/Office365/comments/m74g5n/conditional_access_to_allow_login_through_samsung/

I checked the Samsung Email app.
The server is m.hotmail.com
Obviously the m. is for mobile apps, so maybe MS have not got around to blocking them yet.
As I do not download from Android, I am not too worried about this - I can use Outlook for Android instead.

[quote="pid:57095, uid:28772"]I found a comment on the web that states "The samsung email app use the modern auth if you choose "Office365" as the mail provider." Does that apply? https://www.reddit.com/r/Office365/comments/m74g5n/conditional_access_to_allow_login_through_samsung/[/quote] I checked the Samsung Email app. The server is m.hotmail.com Obviously the m. is for mobile apps, so maybe MS have not got around to blocking them yet. As I do not download from Android, I am not too worried about this - I can use Outlook for Android instead.

Ok guys, guess it's now time to ask the unanswered question I'm carrying around with me since I started to investigate how MS implemented their OAUTH2 solution for single user email accounts: Did anyone ever try to figure out how Thunderbird solves this issue?

My reason for asking is that MS only provides information starting at a point where it is required to register the application to be used with MS as being the developer as well as being a user. For the developer you can find the instructions on the respective MS page, and for users of Thunderbird you can find it on mozilla.org. No matter what I try I can't find anything less complex any place else which doesn't require any kind of external authorization. If anyone knows how to find the Philosopher's Stone in the light of these requirements we might be able to help David Harris a lot ...

But for now: How about someone trying to use their Outlook account with Thunderbird?

Ok guys, guess it's now time to ask the unanswered question I'm carrying around with me since I started to investigate how MS implemented their OAUTH2 solution for single user email accounts: Did anyone ever try to figure out how Thunderbird solves this issue? My reason for asking is that MS only provides information starting at a point where it is required to register the application to be used with MS as being the developer as well as being a user. For the developer you can find the instructions on the respective [MS page](https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/exchange/client-developer/legacy-protocols/how-to-authenticate-an-imap-pop-smtp-application-by-using-oauth), and for users of Thunderbird you can find it on [mozilla.org](https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/microsoft-oauth-authentication-and-thunderbird-202). No matter what I try I can't find anything less complex any place else which doesn't require any kind of external authorization. If anyone knows how to find the Philosopher's Stone in the light of these requirements we might be able to help David Harris a lot ... But for now: How about someone trying to use their Outlook account with Thunderbird?
			Michael
--
IERenderer's Homepage

But for now: How about someone trying to use their Outlook account with Thunderbird?

Yes, I have started testing Thunderbird with Outlook.com
It works very well.
I am not familiar with the underlying technical details.

[quote="pid:57101, uid:2133"]But for now: How about someone trying to use their Outlook account with Thunderbird?[/quote] Yes, I have started testing Thunderbird with Outlook.com It works very well. I am not familiar with the underlying technical details.

Yes, I have started testing Thunderbird with Outlook.com

I have also been using Thunderbird with Outlook, since I lost access through Pegasus a few weeks ago. I can't be without email - though I have a Gmail account I prefer Outlook and I don't want to go through the process of telling all my contacts and retailers of a new address. As Kilmolin has found, it is working well. It set itself up and connected to Outlook without any intervention from me. It allows me to save my emails locally in folders like Pegasus. There are things that Pegasus does better, such as setting up distribution lists, and it doesn't have PM's comprehensive Help facility.
David

[quote="pid:57102, uid:27623"]Yes, I have started testing Thunderbird with Outlook.com[/quote] I have also been using Thunderbird with Outlook, since I lost access through Pegasus a few weeks ago. I can't be without email - though I have a Gmail account I prefer Outlook and I don't want to go through the process of telling all my contacts and retailers of a new address. As Kilmolin has found, it is working well. It set itself up and connected to Outlook without any intervention from me. It allows me to save my emails locally in folders like Pegasus. There are things that Pegasus does better, such as setting up distribution lists, and it doesn't have PM's comprehensive Help facility. David
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft