Community Discussions and Support
Outlook Cutting Off Basic Authentication on 09/16/2024

As Kilmolin has found, it is working well. It set itself up and connected to Outlook without any intervention from me.

So if I understand this correctly you didn't have to follow the steps described on the Mozilla page ?

[quote="pid:57104, uid:42001"]As Kilmolin has found, it is working well. It set itself up and connected to Outlook without any intervention from me.[/quote] So if I understand this correctly you didn't have to follow the steps described on the [Mozilla page](https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/microsoft-oauth-authentication-and-thunderbird-202) ?
			Michael
--
IERenderer's Homepage
PGP Key ID (RSA 2048): 0xC45D831B
S/MIME Fingerprint: 94C6B471 0C623088 A5B27701 742B8666 3B7E657C
edited Oct 8 at 3:14 pm

Michael, that Mozilla page references "Microsoft has made some changes to authentication for their hosted email services for business and academic accounts". These would be MS products like Azure, Exchange, Microsoft 365. I believe they are different animals from a free outlook.com account associated with an individuals Microsoft account. I wish I could elaborate but I have nothing more to offer other than to comment on how much these different avenues of MS email complicate an understanding of their OAuth implementation.

Those of you using Thunderbird, are you connecting to a business or academic account, or just a MS personal outlook.com account?

Michael, that Mozilla page references "Microsoft has made some changes to authentication for their hosted email services for business and academic accounts". These would be MS products like Azure, Exchange, Microsoft 365. I believe they are different animals from a free outlook.com account associated with an individuals Microsoft account. I wish I could elaborate but I have nothing more to offer other than to comment on how much these different avenues of MS email complicate an understanding of their OAuth implementation. Those of you using Thunderbird, are you connecting to a business or academic account, or just a MS personal outlook.com account?

So if I understand this correctly you didn't have to follow the steps described on the Mozilla page ?

No, I think that page is for business and academic users already running Thunderbird. As far as I can remember it connected automatically using OAUTH.

[quote="pid:57105, uid:2133"]So if I understand this correctly you didn't have to follow the steps described on the Mozilla page ?[/quote] No, I think that page is for business and academic users already running Thunderbird. As far as I can remember it connected automatically using OAUTH.

I believe they are different animals from a free outlook.com account associated with an individuals Microsoft account.

Since they include Hotmail accounts in their advice I got the idea that it would include these free personal accounts as well.

[quote="pid:57106, uid:28772"]I believe they are different animals from a free outlook.com account associated with an individuals Microsoft account.[/quote] Since they include Hotmail accounts in their advice I got the idea that it would include these free personal accounts as well.
			Michael
--
IERenderer's Homepage
PGP Key ID (RSA 2048): 0xC45D831B
S/MIME Fingerprint: 94C6B471 0C623088 A5B27701 742B8666 3B7E657C
edited Oct 8 at 4:48 pm

Those of you using Thunderbird, are you connecting to a business or academic account, or just a MS personal outlook.com account?

I am just using a personal account on Outlook.com
Thunderbird did all the configuration for me - very simple.

[quote="pid:57106, uid:28772"]Those of you using Thunderbird, are you connecting to a business or academic account, or just a MS personal outlook.com account?[/quote] I am just using a personal account on Outlook.com Thunderbird did all the configuration for me - very simple.
1 ... 3456
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft