Community Discussions and Support
New User - Pegasus not accepting outgoing email (SMTP) info

I just set up Pegasus email. I used the same info that work with 2 other email clients. But when I tried to send a test email, i get:

"Delivery has failed on the enclosed message for the following reasons reported either by the mail delivery system on the mail relay host or by the local TCP/IP transport module:

TCP/IP error while processing job
A network error has occurred while WinPMail attempted to send your message.

The SMTP server I use is "insecure."

Would appreciate suggestions. Thanks.
K

I just set up Pegasus email. I used the same info that work with 2 other email clients. But when I tried to send a test email, i get: ### "Delivery has failed on the enclosed message for the following reasons reported either by the mail delivery system on the mail relay host or by the local TCP/IP transport module: *** TCP/IP error while processing job *** A network error has occurred while WinPMail attempted to send your message. The SMTP server I use is "insecure." Would appreciate suggestions. Thanks. K

There isn't enough information for us to try to troubleshoot. My guess is that your SMTP configuration contains the wrong port number or security option. I don't know what other email clients you are using but some will determine this automatically whereas Pegasus Mail requires that you specify it. Rather than rely on what worked in other email clients, research the SMTP configuration requirements of your SMTP service and configure Pegasus Mail accordingly. Posting the name of the SMTP service and the configuration settings you have tried might result in specific guidance.

Also know that an internet session log of a failed connection attempt may identify the specific point of failure. You can enable that logging at the bottom of the General tab in Tools > Internet options. You would enable logging and then attempt a send. The resulting log file will be in a directory named TCPLogs located in your mailbox directory. It will have a .smtp extension but is a plain text file viewable with a text editor. DO NOT post the entire content of a log file. They contain your authentication credentials either in plain text or in an easily decodable form.

There isn't enough information for us to try to troubleshoot. My guess is that your SMTP configuration contains the wrong port number or security option. I don't know what other email clients you are using but some will determine this automatically whereas Pegasus Mail requires that you specify it. Rather than rely on what worked in other email clients, research the SMTP configuration requirements of your SMTP service and configure Pegasus Mail accordingly. Posting the name of the SMTP service and the configuration settings you have tried might result in specific guidance. Also know that an internet session log of a failed connection attempt may identify the specific point of failure. You can enable that logging at the bottom of the General tab in Tools > Internet options. You would enable logging and then attempt a send. The resulting log file will be in a directory named TCPLogs located in your mailbox directory. It will have a .smtp extension but is a plain text file viewable with a text editor. DO NOT post the entire content of a log file. They contain your authentication credentials either in plain text or in an easily decodable form.

Make sure if you include data from the log files, that it might included password. In log files it is plain text.
You might also want to look at the PND file in Mail directory.
They contain information on the pop and smtp connections for identies.
They also contain password, but it is encoded to a degree, so don't include password line or change data to *'s or something else.

Regular smtp use to use port 25, but most ISPs now require a secure port to access usually 465 or 587, and use direct SSL or StartSSL.

Additional if you are using gmail, it requires OAUTH2 or a special app password.

So more details would be necessary as Brian Fluet mentioned.

Make sure if you include data from the log files, that it might included password. In log files it is plain text. You might also want to look at the PND file in Mail directory. They contain information on the pop and smtp connections for identies. They also contain password, but it is encoded to a degree, so don't include password line or change data to *'s or something else. Regular smtp use to use port 25, but most ISPs now require a secure port to access usually 465 or 587, and use direct SSL or StartSSL. Additional if you are using gmail, it requires OAUTH2 or a special app password. So more details would be necessary as Brian Fluet mentioned.

mikes@guam.net

Hi,

I can't find the logs with the information you're asking for. I can't even find the where to enter the port #.

There are no Earthlink requirements for the SMTP config. It's password only. Port 110. pop.earthlink.net.
There's no SSL requirement.
"Outbound" is smtpauth.earthlink.net - "Do not use a secure connection. Simple Username and password. Port 587.

I've been using Agent since Usenet days, but it recently lost the ability to read most of the message, even though it indicates the message is present, telling me how many lines there are.

I've been able to set up and use the same network configs with Thunderbird. (Only that app is too convoluted, and I'm unable to send to an open email list.)

66a57370f3cb5

Hi, I can't find the logs with the information you're asking for. I can't even find the where to enter the port #. There are no Earthlink requirements for the SMTP config. It's password only. Port 110. pop.earthlink.net. There's no SSL requirement. "Outbound" is smtpauth.earthlink.net - "Do not use a secure connection. Simple Username and password. Port 587. I've been using Agent since Usenet days, but it recently lost the ability to read most of the message, even though it indicates the message is present, telling me how many lines there are. I've been able to set up and use the same network configs with Thunderbird. (Only that app is too convoluted, and I'm unable to send to an open email list.) ![66a57370f3cb5](serve/attachment&path=66a57370f3cb5)

https://help.earthlink.net/portal/en/kb/articles/email-server-settings

Outgoing Server: smtpauth.earthlink.net
Outgoing Port Number: 587
Outgoing Security Setting: STARTTLS
Authentication is Required: Use your full email address and password.

https://help.earthlink.net/portal/en/kb/articles/email-server-settings Outgoing Server: smtpauth.earthlink.net Outgoing Port Number: 587 Outgoing Security Setting: STARTTLS Authentication is Required: Use your full email address and password.

mikes@guam.net

There are no Earthlink requirements for the SMTP config. It's password only. Port 110. pop.earthlink.net.
There's no SSL requirement.
"Outbound" is smtpauth.earthlink.net - "Do not use a secure connection. Simple Username and password. Port 587.

I'm confused. The specifications shown in the link below contradict your statement.
https://help.earthlink.net/portal/en/kb/articles/email-server-settings

Also, in the context we are talking about here, SMTP refers to outbound. Any reference to "pop" or "pop3" refers to inbound.

This is a brief primer for setting up SMTP in Pegasus Mail...

Go to Tools > Internet options. It will open into its "General" tab. Enter your email address in the "My internet e-mail address is:" field.

To configure SMTP click the "Sending (SMTP)" tab. In here is where you create what are called "Definitions". These are configuration settings for connecting to an SMTP server for sending mail. Normally there is only one, but advanced users may have numerous ones.

Click the "Add" button then use the "Delete" button to remove any that exist that don't work. Once done, click the "New" button to start creating a new definition.

Give the definition a name, perhaps Earthlink SMTP.
Enter "smtpauth.earthlink.net" in the "Server host name:" field (no quotes)
Enter 587 in the "Server TCP/IP Port" field
Change the Timeout: number to 120.
The lower two check boxes should remain unchecked.

Now switch to the Security tab.
Click the "Via STARTTLS" radio button.
Move down to the third checkbox from the bottom labeled "Login to the SMTP server with the following username and password". Enter your username and password in the fields here. Leave all other options on this tab untouched.
Click OK to save this definition.

Now click on the name of the newly created definition then click "Select". You should now see it listed in the "Send mail using these SMTP hosts" box.

Now switch to the General tab. At the bottom of that window is the option to enable internet session logging. Click that checkbox to enable logging the click OK to close that windows.

Send a test message. A log file will be created as per my earlier post. It may be useful in the event of a failure.

[quote="pid:56896, uid:42540"]There are no Earthlink requirements for the SMTP config. It's password only. Port 110. pop.earthlink.net. There's no SSL requirement. "Outbound" is smtpauth.earthlink.net - "Do not use a secure connection. Simple Username and password. Port 587.[/quote] I'm confused. The specifications shown in the link below contradict your statement. https://help.earthlink.net/portal/en/kb/articles/email-server-settings Also, in the context we are talking about here, SMTP refers to outbound. Any reference to "pop" or "pop3" refers to inbound. This is a brief primer for setting up SMTP in Pegasus Mail... Go to Tools > Internet options. It will open into its "General" tab. Enter your email address in the "My internet e-mail address is:" field. To configure SMTP click the "Sending (SMTP)" tab. In here is where you create what are called "Definitions". These are configuration settings for connecting to an SMTP server for sending mail. Normally there is only one, but advanced users may have numerous ones. Click the "Add" button then use the "Delete" button to remove any that exist that don't work. Once done, click the "New" button to start creating a new definition. Give the definition a name, perhaps Earthlink SMTP. Enter "smtpauth.earthlink.net" in the "Server host name:" field (no quotes) Enter 587 in the "Server TCP/IP Port" field Change the Timeout: number to 120. The lower two check boxes should remain unchecked. Now switch to the Security tab. Click the "Via STARTTLS" radio button. Move down to the third checkbox from the bottom labeled "Login to the SMTP server with the following username and password". Enter your username and password in the fields here. Leave all other options on this tab untouched. Click OK to save this definition. Now click on the name of the newly created definition then click "Select". You should now see it listed in the "Send mail using these SMTP hosts" box. Now switch to the General tab. At the bottom of that window is the option to enable internet session logging. Click that checkbox to enable logging the click OK to close that windows. Send a test message. A log file will be created as per my earlier post. It may be useful in the event of a failure.
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft