Community Discussions and Support
535 relay not permitted - Incorrect authentication data

> Hi,
>
> I am running Pegasus Mail v4.41 on Win XP and have for some days
> troubles in sending Mails. Receiving mails works (sending and
> receiving mails using the webmail-interface is ok also).
>
> After sending a new mail I get a window with the error "Incorrect
> authentication data" and shortly after that I get the message back
> with "Mail Delivery Failure - 535 Incorrect authentication data".
>
> I contacted my ISP to make sure to use the right server, port, login
> name and password (login name and password are the same for the
> webmail-interface and there it works). I also sent them the
> connection log. They told me a) to use SMTP Authentication and b) to
> disable CRAM-MD5-Encryption.

The problem is you cannot disable the CRAM-MD5 authentication, they must be the ones to do this.  David Harris has implemented ESMTP AUTH CRAM-MD5 for WinPMail, Mercury and Mercury/32.  They do a SMTP authentication in accordance with RFCs 2554 and 2195.  Mercury and Mercury/32 also do the LOGIN and the strange MS AUTH=LOGIN.  The program will always use the most secure method offered by the server.  

Talk to your ISP again and ask them why they are offering CRAM-MD5 at the server when they do not support it.

>
> I activated the SMTP Authentication with <username> and <password>
> but I still get the error.
>
> Now I don't know how to disable CRAM-MD5-Encryption. Is it possible?
> If so, how? If not, what else can I try?
>
> I searched the forum - especially for "535" and for "CRAM-MD5" but I
> couldn't get an answer that works for me.
>
> Can anyone give me some helpful advice?
>
> Thank you very much,
>
> Peter
>
>

&amp;gt; Hi, &amp;gt; &amp;gt; I am running Pegasus Mail v4.41 on Win XP and have for some days &amp;gt; troubles in sending Mails. Receiving mails works (sending and &amp;gt; receiving mails using the webmail-interface is ok also). &amp;gt; &amp;gt; After sending a new mail I get a window with the error &quot;Incorrect &amp;gt; authentication data&quot; and shortly after that I get the message back &amp;gt; with &quot;Mail Delivery Failure - 535 Incorrect authentication data&quot;. &amp;gt; &amp;gt; I contacted my ISP to make sure to use the right server, port, login &amp;gt; name and password (login name and password are the same for the &amp;gt; webmail-interface and there it works). I also sent them the &amp;gt; connection log. They told me a) to use SMTP Authentication and b) to &amp;gt; disable CRAM-MD5-Encryption. The problem is you cannot disable the CRAM-MD5 authentication, they must be the ones to do this.&amp;nbsp; David Harris has implemented ESMTP AUTH CRAM-MD5 for WinPMail, Mercury and Mercury/32.&amp;nbsp; They do a SMTP authentication in accordance with RFCs 2554 and 2195.&amp;nbsp; Mercury and Mercury/32 also do the LOGIN and the strange MS AUTH=LOGIN.&amp;nbsp; The program will always use the most secure method offered by the server. &amp;nbsp; Talk to your ISP again and ask them why they are offering CRAM-MD5 at the server when they do not support it. &amp;gt; &amp;gt; I activated the SMTP Authentication with &amp;lt;username&amp;gt; and &amp;lt;password&amp;gt; &amp;gt; but I still get the error. &amp;gt; &amp;gt; Now I don&#039;t know how to disable CRAM-MD5-Encryption. Is it possible? &amp;gt; If so, how? If not, what else can I try? &amp;gt; &amp;gt; I searched the forum - especially for &quot;535&quot; and for &quot;CRAM-MD5&quot; but I &amp;gt; couldn&#039;t get an answer that works for me. &amp;gt; &amp;gt; Can anyone give me some helpful advice? &amp;gt; &amp;gt; Thank you very much, &amp;gt; &amp;gt; Peter &amp;gt; &amp;gt;

Hi,

I am running Pegasus Mail v4.41 on Win XP and have for some days troubles in sending Mails. Receiving mails works (sending and receiving mails using the webmail-interface is ok also).

After sending a new mail I get a window with the error "Incorrect authentication data" and shortly after that I get the message back with "Mail Delivery Failure - 535 Incorrect authentication data".

I contacted my ISP to make sure to use the right server, port, login name and password (login name and password are the same for the webmail-interface and there it works). I also sent them the connection log. They told me a) to use SMTP Authentication and b) to disable CRAM-MD5-Encryption.

I activated the SMTP Authentication with <username> and <password> but I still get the error.

Now I don't know how to disable CRAM-MD5-Encryption. Is it possible? If so, how? If not, what else can I try?

I searched the forum - especially for "535" and for "CRAM-MD5" but I couldn't get an answer that works for me.

Can anyone give me some helpful advice?

Thank you very much,

Peter

&lt;P&gt;Hi,&lt;/P&gt; &lt;P&gt;I am running Pegasus Mail v4.41 on Win XP and have for some days troubles in sending Mails. Receiving mails works (sending and receiving mails using the webmail-interface is ok also).&lt;/P&gt; &lt;P&gt;After sending a new mail I get a window with the error &quot;Incorrect authentication data&quot; and shortly after that I get the message back with &quot;Mail Delivery Failure - 535 Incorrect authentication data&quot;.&lt;/P&gt; &lt;P&gt;I contacted my ISP to make sure to use the right server, port, login name and password (login name and password are the same for the webmail-interface and there it works). I also sent them the connection log. They told me a) to use SMTP Authentication and b) to disable CRAM-MD5-Encryption.&lt;/P&gt; &lt;P&gt;I activated the SMTP Authentication with &amp;lt;username&amp;gt; and &amp;lt;password&amp;gt; but I still get the error.&lt;/P&gt; &lt;P&gt;Now I don&#039;t know how to disable CRAM-MD5-Encryption. Is it possible? If so, how? If not, what else can I try?&lt;/P&gt; &lt;P&gt;I searched the forum - especially for &quot;535&quot; and for &quot;CRAM-MD5&quot; but I couldn&#039;t get an answer that works for me.&lt;/P&gt; &lt;P&gt;Can anyone give me some helpful advice?&lt;/P&gt; &lt;P&gt;Thank you very much,&lt;/P&gt; &lt;P&gt;Peter&lt;/P&gt;
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft