Notice: Undefined offset: 68 in /var/www/codoforum/sys/CODOF/Forum/Category.php on line 241

Notice: Trying to get property 'cat_name' of non-object in /var/www/codoforum/sys/CODOF/Forum/Category.php on line 241

Notice: Undefined offset: 68 in /var/www/codoforum/sys/CODOF/Forum/Category.php on line 242

Notice: Trying to get property 'cat_alias' of non-object in /var/www/codoforum/sys/CODOF/Forum/Category.php on line 242

Notice: Undefined offset: 68 in /var/www/codoforum/sys/CODOF/Forum/Category.php on line 238

Notice: Trying to get property 'cat_pid' of non-object in /var/www/codoforum/sys/CODOF/Forum/Category.php on line 238
Testing the S/MIME Extension | PMAIL COMMUNITY
Encryption
Testing the S/MIME Extension

I talk about S/MIME Managing:

S/MIME (Secure/Multipurpose Internet Mail Extensions) is a standard for

public key encryption and signing of email encapsulated in MIME. S/MIME

provides cryptographic security services for electronic messaging

applications, such as authentication, message integrity, and

non-repudiation of origin (using digital signatures) and privacy and

data security (using encryption). S/MIME features are supported for

select Motorola handhelds.

This guide assumes that your Exchange environment is configured for

S/MIME and that you are conversant with S/MIME and its uses in your

Exchange installation, or that your PKI (Public Key Infrastructure)

administrator or Certificate Authority administrator will be available

to provide information to assure that you configure Good Messaging

correctly.

<p>I talk about S/MIME Managing: </p><p> <font color="Black" face="Arial, Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">S/MIME (Secure/Multipurpose Internet Mail Extensions) is a standard for public key encryption and signing of email encapsulated in MIME. S/MIME provides cryptographic security services for electronic messaging applications, such as authentication, message integrity, and non-repudiation of origin (using digital signatures) and privacy and data security (using encryption). S/MIME features are supported for select Motorola handhelds. </font></p> <a class="" name="wp972696"></a> <p><font color="Black" face="Arial, Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2"> This guide assumes that your Exchange environment is configured for S/MIME and that you are conversant with S/MIME and its uses in your Exchange installation, or that your PKI (Public Key Infrastructure) administrator or Certificate Authority administrator will be available to provide information to assure that you configure Good Messaging correctly. </font></p>

I've now finished the basic coding so the compiler doesn't generate any errors anymore, so I'm going to enter the first test cycle. There are still several things to be done, though:

• user interface refinements including new icons and bitmaps;
  • rewriting the various help docs (a huge amount of work);
  • creating resp. customizing a convenient installer.

Nevertheless, if any of you would want to take part in this kind of early testing (and refinement), please let me know. Without the installer being available you'll have to prepare your system(s) as follows:

1. Software requirements for now - depending on your testing: Windows XP or VISTA and Server 2003 or 2008 should work without any restrictions, at least IE 6 SP 1 will be required on older systems (down to Windows 98 and NT 4 SP 6a). CAPICOM.dll version 2.1 is mandatory, it can be downloaded from Microsoft's Download Center (you will have to verify the validity of your OS licence to do so, let me know (by email) if having problems): In the final version the setup will install CAPICOM.dll as required.
  2. The CAPICOM library may already be located in [DRIVE:]\Program Files\Common[ Files]\Microsoft Shared\CAPICOM\, but installing it using the above mentioned download creates a new folder called [DRIVE:]\Program Files\Microsoft CAPICOM 2.1.0.2\. The library needs to be "registered" by calling regsvr32 [DRIVE:]\[Path]\capicom.dll (either open a command line window and enter the command or use the "Run" dialog on the Start menu): You will get a success message after doing so (it doesn't do any harm to do this repeatedly). After doing so the Registry should contain the required information to sucessfully use the CAPICOM library, especially the key HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\TypeLib\{BD26B198-EE42-4725-9B23-AFA912434229} providing the install path in the ...\2.1\0\win32 subkey.
  3. I'll provide you with the files required for using the extension, you would need to create a directory containing the required libraries including a "Resources" subdirectory for the supporting (help, text, image) resources. The path will have to be written to the respective fff / fde / ffr / fit files to be located in Pegasus Mail's main directory or any of its user's mailbox directories if you only want to configure a single user for testing.
  4. You will need to have a private certificate (i.e. one issued to you including a private key) installed in the system's "Certificate Store" at Control Panel => Internet Options => Content => Certificates => Personal and some other (recipient) certificates in the Other people store (see sample screenshots) for testing. Your email provider (or your employer) may provide you with a personal certificate, Microsoft also provides a tool for creating self-signed certificates.
  5. It would be helpful to know my PGP extension for working with this one as long as I can't provide the proper help files, but it should be easy enough to use even without them, provided you know same basics about encryption and signing with S/MIME certificates. It is strictly recommened, though, not to use both extensions alongside as this may result in unpredictable side effects.
<p>I've now finished the basic coding so the compiler doesn't generate any errors anymore, so I'm going to enter the first test cycle. There are still several things to be done, though:</p><ul><li>user interface refinements including new icons and bitmaps;</li><li>rewriting the various help docs (a huge amount of work);</li><li>creating resp. customizing a convenient installer.</li></ul><p>Nevertheless, if any of you would want to take part in this kind of early testing (and refinement), please let me know. Without the installer being available you'll have to prepare your system(s) as follows:</p><ol><li>Software requirements for now - depending on your testing: Windows XP or VISTA and Server 2003 or 2008 should work without any restrictions, at least IE 6 SP 1 will be required on older systems (down to Windows 98 and NT 4 SP 6a). CAPICOM.dll version 2.1 is mandatory, it can be downloaded from <a href="http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=860ee43a-a843-462f-abb5-ff88ea5896f6&DisplayLang=en" target="_blank" mce_href="http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=860ee43a-a843-462f-abb5-ff88ea5896f6&DisplayLang=en">Microsoft's Download Center</a> (you will have to verify the validity of your OS licence to do so, let me know (by email) if having problems): In the final version the setup will install CAPICOM.dll as required. </li><li>The CAPICOM library may already be located in <b>[DRIVE:]\Program Files\Common[ Files]\Microsoft Shared\CAPICOM</b>\, but installing it using the above mentioned download creates a new folder called <b>[DRIVE:]\Program Files\Microsoft CAPICOM 2.1.0.2\</b>. The library needs to be "registered" by calling <b>regsvr32 </b><b>[DRIVE:]\[Path]\</b><b>capicom.dll</b> (either open a command line window and enter the command or use the "Run" dialog on the Start menu): You will get a success message after doing so (it doesn't do any harm to do this repeatedly). After doing so the Registry should contain the required information to sucessfully use the CAPICOM library, especially the key <b>HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\TypeLib\{BD26B198-EE42-4725-9B23-AFA912434229}</b> providing the install path in the <b>...\2.1\0\win32</b> subkey.</li><li>I'll provide you with the files required for using the extension, you would need to create a directory containing the required libraries including a "Resources" subdirectory for the supporting (help, text, image) resources. The path will have to be written to the respective fff / fde / ffr / fit files to be located in Pegasus Mail's main directory or any of its user's mailbox directories if you only want to configure a single user for testing.</li><li>You will need to have a private certificate (i.e. one issued to you including a private key) installed in the system's "Certificate Store" at <b>Control Panel => Internet Options => Content => Certificates => Personal </b>and some other (recipient) certificates in the <b>Other people</b> store (see <a href="http://www.safeguardproperties.com/pub/sslfix.html" target="_blank" mce_href="http://www.safeguardproperties.com/pub/sslfix.html">sample screenshots</a>) for testing. Your email provider (or your employer) may provide you with a personal certificate, Microsoft also provides a <a href="http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa386968.aspx" target="_blank" mce_href="http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa386968.aspx">tool for creating self-signed certificates</a>. </li><li>It would be helpful to know my <a href="http://www.pmpgp.de/pmpgp/" target="_blank" mce_href="http://www.pmpgp.de/pmpgp/">PGP extension</a> for working with this one as long as I can't provide the proper help files, but it should be easy enough to use even without them, provided you know same basics about encryption and signing with S/MIME certificates. It is strictly recommened, though, not to use both extensions alongside as this may result in unpredictable side effects. </li></ol>
			Michael
--
IERenderer's Homepage
PGP Key ID (RSA 2048): 0xC45D831B
S/MIME Fingerprint: 94C6B471 0C623088 A5B27701 742B8666 3B7E657C

[quote user="idw"]

I've now finished the basic coding so the compiler doesn't generate any errors anymore, so I'm going to enter the first test cycle. There are still several things to be done, though:

[/quote]

I've now finished working on the first item of the above list and done enough testing (as can be done without having other voluteers for testing, hint, hint ...) to be sure the new extension works as expected with regard to the basic functionality (including automation like provided by my PGP extension). I'm now trying to implement AES and SHA-2 support (not currently supported by CAPICOM, but already available to users of XP SP 3 or later systems) before moving on to the other items of the above list.

[quote user="idw"]<p>I've now finished the basic coding so the compiler doesn't generate any errors anymore, so I'm going to enter the first test cycle. There are still several things to be done, though:</p><ul><li>user interface refinements including new icons and bitmaps;</li><li>rewriting the various help docs (a huge amount of work);</li><li>creating resp. customizing a convenient installer.</li></ul><p>[/quote]</p><p>I've now finished working on the first item of the above list and done enough testing (as can be done without having other voluteers for testing, hint, hint ...) to be sure the new extension works as expected with regard to the basic functionality (including automation like provided by my PGP extension). I'm now trying to implement <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Encryption_Standard" target="_blank" mce_href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Encryption_Standard">AES</a> and <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SHA_hash_functions" target="_blank" mce_href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SHA_hash_functions">SHA-2</a> support (not currently supported by CAPICOM, but already available to users of XP SP 3 or later systems) before moving on to the other items of the above list. </p>
			Michael
--
IERenderer's Homepage

[quote user="idw"][quote user="idw"]

[/quote]

(...) I'm now trying to implement AES and SHA-2 support (not currently supported by CAPICOM, but already available to users of XP SP 3 or later systems) before moving on to the other items of the above list.

[/quote]

Gave up working on AES/SHA-2, currently there doesn't seem to be a proper way to implement it. I'm now working on the help docs, online help can already be translated, manuals aren't prepared to so far.

[quote user="idw"][quote user="idw"]<p>I've now finished the basic coding so the compiler doesn't generate any errors anymore, so I'm going to enter the first test cycle. There are still several things to be done, though:</p><ul><li>user interface refinements including new icons and bitmaps;</li><li>rewriting the various help docs (a huge amount of work);</li><li>creating resp. customizing a convenient installer.</li></ul><p>[/quote]</p><p>(...) I'm now trying to implement <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Encryption_Standard" target="_blank" mce_href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Encryption_Standard">AES</a> and <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SHA_hash_functions" target="_blank" mce_href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SHA_hash_functions">SHA-2</a> support (not currently supported by CAPICOM, but already available to users of XP SP 3 or later systems) before moving on to the other items of the above list. </p><p>[/quote]</p><p>Gave up working on AES/SHA-2, currently there doesn't seem to be a proper way to implement it. I'm now working on the help docs, online help can already be translated, manuals aren't prepared to so far. </p>
			Michael
--
IERenderer's Homepage

I've now created a test version to be downloaded from the community downloads section: The installation instructions are provided on the respective download page. Please post your comments to this Encryption forum!

I've now created a test version to be downloaded from the <a href="/files/folders/community_add-ons_for_pegasus_mail/entry16501.aspx" target="_blank" mce_href="/files/folders/community_add-ons_for_pegasus_mail/entry16501.aspx">community downloads</a> section: The installation instructions are provided on the respective <a href="/files/folders/community_add-ons_for_pegasus_mail/entry16501.aspx" target="_blank" mce_href="/files/folders/community_add-ons_for_pegasus_mail/entry16501.aspx">download page</a>. Please post your comments to this <a href="/forums/51/ShowForum.aspx" mce_href="/forums/51/ShowForum.aspx">Encryption forum</a>!
			Michael
--
IERenderer's Homepage

[quote user="idw"]I've now created a test version to be downloaded from the community downloads section: The installation instructions are provided on the respective download page. Please post your comments to this Encryption forum!

[/quote]

14.04.2009, 11:10 (MST): Included missing English and German manuals and completed the setup instructions.

<p>[quote user="idw"]I've now created a test version to be downloaded from the <a href="/files/folders/community_add-ons_for_pegasus_mail/entry16501.aspx" target="_blank" mce_href="/files/folders/community_add-ons_for_pegasus_mail/entry16501.aspx">community downloads</a> section: The installation instructions are provided on the respective <a href="/files/folders/community_add-ons_for_pegasus_mail/entry16501.aspx" target="_blank" mce_href="/files/folders/community_add-ons_for_pegasus_mail/entry16501.aspx">download page</a>. Please post your comments to this <a href="/forums/51/ShowForum.aspx" mce_href="/forums/51/ShowForum.aspx">Encryption forum</a>! [/quote]</p><p><b>14.04.2009, 11:10 (MST)</b>: Included missing English and German manuals and completed the setup instructions. </p>
			Michael
--
IERenderer's Homepage

[quote user="idw"]

I've now created a test version to be downloaded from the community downloads section: The installation instructions are provided on the respective download page. Please post your comments to this Encryption forum!

[/quote]

15.04.2009, 13:50 (MST): Update fixing several key management and signature verification issues.

[quote user="idw"]<p>I've now created a test version to be downloaded from the <a href="/files/folders/community_add-ons_for_pegasus_mail/entry16501.aspx" target="_blank" mce_href="/files/folders/community_add-ons_for_pegasus_mail/entry16501.aspx">community downloads</a> section: The installation instructions are provided on the respective <a href="/files/folders/community_add-ons_for_pegasus_mail/entry16501.aspx" target="_blank" mce_href="/files/folders/community_add-ons_for_pegasus_mail/entry16501.aspx">download page</a>. Please post your comments to this <a href="/forums/51/ShowForum.aspx" mce_href="/forums/51/ShowForum.aspx">Encryption forum</a>! [/quote]</p><p><b>15.04.2009, 13:50 (MST)</b>: Update fixing several key management and signature verification issues. </p>
			Michael
--
IERenderer's Homepage

[quote user="idw"][quote user="idw"]

[/quote]

15.04.2009, 13:50 (MST): Update fixing several key management and signature verification issues.

[/quote]

19.04.2009, 11:35 (MST): Update fixing some more issues and adding an option for displaying details about the decrypting certificate.

I'll now start to create the installer so the extension can be set up by end users without having to deal with the CAPICOM stuff.

[quote user="idw"][quote user="idw"]<p>I've now created a test version to be downloaded from the <a href="/files/folders/community_add-ons_for_pegasus_mail/entry16501.aspx" target="_blank" mce_href="/files/folders/community_add-ons_for_pegasus_mail/entry16501.aspx">community downloads</a> section: The installation instructions are provided on the respective <a href="/files/folders/community_add-ons_for_pegasus_mail/entry16501.aspx" target="_blank" mce_href="/files/folders/community_add-ons_for_pegasus_mail/entry16501.aspx">download page</a>. Please post your comments to this <a href="/forums/51/ShowForum.aspx" mce_href="/forums/51/ShowForum.aspx">Encryption forum</a>! [/quote]</p><p><b>15.04.2009, 13:50 (MST)</b>: Update fixing several key management and signature verification issues. </p><p>[/quote]</p><p><b>19.04.2009, 11:35 (MST)</b>: Update fixing some more issues and adding an option for displaying details about the decrypting certificate.</p><p>I'll now start to create the installer so the extension can be set up by end users without having to deal with the CAPICOM stuff.</p>
			Michael
--
IERenderer's Homepage

The last Version (1.0.6) works without any error for me. Thank you Michael, a really important Tool!

Klaus

<P>The last Version (1.0.6) works without any error for me. Thank you Michael, a really important Tool!</P> <P mce_keep="true"> </P> <P>Klaus</P>

[quote user="Klaus"]

The last Version (1.0.6) works without any error for me. Thank you Michael, a really important Tool!

Klaus

[/quote]

Thanks, Klaus, I've now uploaded the English and German installer for version 1.1, see the download section. Please post your comments (if any) to the separate thread. Oh, and thanks for testing!

[quote user="Klaus"]<p>The last Version (1.0.6) works without any error for me. Thank you Michael, a really important Tool!</p> <p mce_keep="true"> </p> <p>Klaus</p><p>[/quote]</p><p>Thanks, Klaus, I've now uploaded the English and German installer for version 1.1, see the <a href="/files/folders/community_add-ons_for_pegasus_mail/default.aspx" target="_blank" mce_href="/files/folders/community_add-ons_for_pegasus_mail/default.aspx">download section</a>. Please post your comments (if any) to the <a href="/forums/thread/16686.aspx" mce_href="/forums/thread/16686.aspx">separate thread</a>. Oh, and thanks for testing! </p>
			Michael
--
IERenderer's Homepage

When I use Pegasus Mail I do so on a Linux OS using the Wine interface. Can this extension be used in my environment with the Gnu equivalent of PGP? If so, I'd love to do some testing.

<p>When I use Pegasus Mail I do so on a Linux OS using the Wine interface. Can this extension be used in my environment with the Gnu equivalent of PGP? If so, I'd love to do some testing. </p>

[quote user="jelang"]

Can this extension be used in my environment with the Gnu equivalent of PGP? If so, I'd love to do some testing.[/quote]

Well, I don't quite understand: You posted this question to an S/MIME thread, so are you referring to S/MIME? And if so, none of my exstensions can work with GnuPG because it provides a completely different programming interface. Another issue is using the system's certificate store for S/MIME certificates, I really doubt that WINE provides a substitute for this, but who knows ..

[quote user="jelang"]<p>Can this extension be used in my environment with the Gnu equivalent of PGP? If so, I'd love to do some testing.[/quote]</p><p>Well, I don't quite understand: You posted this question to an S/MIME thread, so are you referring to S/MIME? And if so, none of my exstensions can work with GnuPG because it provides a completely different programming interface. Another issue is using the system's certificate store for S/MIME certificates, I really doubt that WINE provides a substitute for this, but who knows .. </p>
			Michael
--
IERenderer's Homepage
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft