Community Discussions and Support
another computer access

Don,

Hm, this sounds more like a more general issue on how you and your partner organise emails and access to them rather then something 100% related to Pegasus Mail (PM). However, PM is very flexible and supports many different scenarios to suit your needs (and it does it much better than many other clients I believe). There are many ways to go about it but here are some ideas and the way I would approach it knowing what you told us. It is fairly easy to implement and probably will do the trick.

- 1- Basic requirements (roughly as to your description - but more generalised)

• Two (or more) users
  • Access to email at home
  • Access to email at work (probably not work related emails)
  • Access to email (mainly new emails and sending) when travelling (e.g. Internet Cafe or friends place etc.)
  • One (or several) main computer with all the emails stored at home or home-office.
- 2 - Setup - General:
  • I believe that two users should have and use two separate email addresses, or more generally, every user should have his/her own address!
  • I have found it fairly common with many couples to share addresses. The reason for having a joint email address may be manifold and of private/personal nature, however it seems that technical issues on how to implement several email addresses may often be the main cause for it ...
  • Create a separate email address for your partner or every user - easiest, mainly for configuration purposes, with the same (free) email provider (in your case Yahoo). It could also be any other email provider of course.
  • Choose an email provider who provides web mail access - most of the free ones do.
  • Choose a provider who allows at least POP3 access so that you could use a client do access the emails - most larger free mail providers do. General instructions on how to setup POP3 is normally included online.
- 3 - Setup Home / Home-Office (one computer)
Option - 1:
  • Different PM users
  • PM users are using same computer
  • Emails and folder trees are separate for each PM user
  • Use multi-user mode in PM and create several PM users (at least one has to be Administrator). If you are currently using single-user mode you can switch as to the description:
  • http://www.pmail.com/faqs/faqs_wsi.htm
  • You will end up with different directories in your data/email directory. Those directories will be named as to the users you have created and contain all the emails of that user e.g.
    d:/.../data/email/don
    d:/.../data/email/abc
    d:/.../data/email/xyz
  • The data/emails of each user will be kept separately and each user may create his/her own folder tree in PM etc.
  • Access the first PM user account by typing in the user name when prompted by PM and enter all the personal details provided by the email provider POP3 and smtp etc.
  • Repeat process for every user.
  • Each PM user may now access his/her emails separately. To swap user just close PM and open it as a different user.
  • To facilitate this process you may create two (or several) different PM shortcuts, one for each user.
  • You may rename it to e.g "PM for user: Don" etc.
  • In the shortcut property for the user "don" add "-I don" to the end of the Target line, which may look something like (depending on the location of PM):
    C:\programs\pmail\Programs\winpm-32.exe -I don
  • Repeat it for the other users with the other shortcut icons.
  • Every user may access his/her emails just by clicking on the icon without the need to type in the username.
- 4 - Access emails from work or when travelling
  • It most cases it may be sufficient to be able to access the latest emails and send some replies etc. Using the webmail Interface through your email provider using your account may well do the trick and it does not interfere with the work computer (and company policies). At the same time you can access the same messages  through PM on your home computer
  • To know what you have sent when using the webmail (to have a copy of it) you may copy your own address in the Cc field for every mail you sent out. The message will arrive back in your mailbox and when you are at home you will also have that copy at home.
Messages at home as well as at work
  • When you at home, e.g. in the evening, you may access your messages through PM and by default that would clear the messages from the server.
  • However, if you want to have ALL messages on the server as well as a copy at home you may want to experiment with the following PM settings under:
  • Tools -> Internet Mail Options - > Receiving POP3
    - under <General>: remove tick "Delete mail on server once it has been successfully retrieved"
    - under <Download controls>: put a tick in " Download only unread mail"
  • These settings would leave your email on the server and PM would only download the 'unread' ones. Once you have done so (e.g. in the evening at home) you may next day sort all email into folders in your webmail.
- 3 -Setup Home / Home-Office (two computers)
Option - 2:
  • Different PM users
  • PM users are using different computer (at home)
  • Emails and folder trees are separate for each PM user on different computers.
  • I assume you started off with ONE computer and later your partner/other user want to have their own computers.
  • You have done as described under  - 3 - Option 1
  • Copy the entire email directory and subdirectories from your old computer to the new one as to the example above:
    d:/.../data/email/
  • This will of course contain emails (e.g. from yourself) that will not be needed by the new user on your new computer (e.g. your partner). This is not a problem and you may just ignore the not used section or ...
  • You may delete content of irrelevant subdirectories (e.g. of ".../don") but you should leave the directory itself.
  • Make sure the file "PMAIL.USR" which resides in the "d:/.../data/email/" directory (as to the above example) is being copied as well.
  • Make a fresh multi-user installation of PM and point it to the ".../data/email" directory. It will recognise the different users as on the original installation including all the settings!
  • Just use the PM user the PC is meant to be for from there onwards e.g. "abc" (as to the example) and disregard the rest.
  • For ease of use you may set up the appropriate command line options in the short cut as described under  - 3 - Option 1.
  • All the PM user settings have been transferred to the new machine.
  • No change to the way the webmail is being used is necessary.
Hope it was of some help. Other scenarios are more than welcome.

Cheers

Thomas

Don, Hm, this sounds more like a more general issue on how you and your partner organise emails and access to them rather then something 100% related to Pegasus Mail (PM). However, PM is very flexible and supports many different scenarios to suit your needs (and it does it much better than many other clients I believe). There are many ways to go about it but here are some ideas and the way I would approach it knowing what you told us. It is fairly easy to implement and probably will do the trick. &lt;b&gt;- 1- Basic requirements (roughly as to your description - but more generalised)&lt;/b&gt; &lt;ul&gt;&lt;li&gt;Two (or more) users &lt;/li&gt;&lt;li&gt;Access to email at home &lt;/li&gt;&lt;li&gt;Access to email at work (probably not work related emails)&lt;/li&gt;&lt;li&gt;Access to email (mainly new emails and sending) when travelling (e.g. Internet Cafe or friends place etc.)&lt;/li&gt;&lt;li&gt;One (or several) main computer with all the emails stored at home or home-office.&lt;/li&gt;&lt;/ul&gt;&lt;b&gt;- 2 - Setup - General:&lt;/b&gt; &lt;ul&gt;&lt;li&gt;I believe that two users should have and use two separate email addresses, or more generally, every user should have his/her own address!&lt;/li&gt;&lt;li&gt;I have found it fairly common with many couples to share addresses. The reason for having a joint email address may be manifold and of private/personal nature, however it seems that technical issues on how to implement several email addresses may often be the main cause for it ...&lt;/li&gt;&lt;li&gt;Create a separate email address for your partner or every user - easiest, mainly for configuration purposes, with the same (free) email provider (in your case Yahoo). It could also be any other email provider of course.&lt;/li&gt;&lt;li&gt;Choose an email provider who provides web mail access - most of the free ones do.&lt;/li&gt;&lt;li&gt;Choose a provider who allows at least POP3 access so that you could use a client do access the emails - most larger free mail providers do. General instructions on how to setup POP3 is normally included online.&lt;/li&gt;&lt;/ul&gt;&lt;b&gt;- 3 - Setup Home / Home-Office (one computer)&lt;/b&gt; &lt;i&gt;&lt;b&gt;Option - 1: &lt;/b&gt;&lt;/i&gt; &lt;ul&gt;&lt;li&gt;Different PM users&lt;/li&gt;&lt;li&gt;PM users are using same computer&lt;/li&gt;&lt;li&gt;Emails and folder trees are separate for each PM user&lt;/li&gt;&lt;/ul&gt;&lt;ul&gt;&lt;li&gt;Use multi-user mode in PM and create several PM users (at least one has to be Administrator). If you are currently using single-user mode you can switch as to the description:&lt;/li&gt;&lt;li&gt;http://www.pmail.com/faqs/faqs_wsi.htm&lt;/li&gt;&lt;li&gt;You will end up with different directories in your data/email directory. Those directories will be named as to the users you have created and contain all the emails of that user e.g. d:/.../data/email/&lt;b&gt;don&lt;/b&gt; d:/.../data/email/&lt;b&gt;abc&lt;/b&gt; d:/.../data/email/&lt;b&gt;xyz&lt;/b&gt;&lt;/li&gt;&lt;li&gt;The data/emails of each user will be kept separately and each user may create his/her own folder tree in PM etc.&lt;/li&gt;&lt;li&gt;Access the first PM user account by typing in the user name when prompted by PM and enter all the personal details provided by the email provider POP3 and smtp etc.&lt;/li&gt;&lt;li&gt;Repeat process for every user.&lt;/li&gt;&lt;li&gt;Each PM user may now access his/her emails separately. To swap user just close PM and open it as a different user.&lt;/li&gt;&lt;li&gt;To facilitate this process you may create two (or several) different PM shortcuts, one for each user.&lt;/li&gt;&lt;li&gt;You may rename it to e.g &quot;PM for user: Don&quot; etc.&lt;/li&gt;&lt;li&gt;In the shortcut property for the user &quot;don&quot; add &quot;-I don&quot; to the end of the Target line, which may look something like (depending on the location of PM): C:\programs\pmail\Programs\winpm-32.exe&lt;b&gt; -I don&lt;/b&gt;&lt;/li&gt;&lt;li&gt;Repeat it for the other users with the other shortcut icons.&lt;/li&gt;&lt;li&gt;Every user may access his/her emails just by clicking on the icon without the need to type in the username.&lt;/li&gt;&lt;/ul&gt;&lt;b&gt;- 4 - Access emails from work or when travelling&lt;/b&gt; &lt;ul&gt;&lt;li&gt;It most cases it may be sufficient to be able to access the latest emails and send some replies etc. Using the webmail Interface through your email provider using your account may well do the trick and it does not interfere with the work computer (and company policies). At the same time you can access the same messages&amp;nbsp; through PM on your home computer &lt;/li&gt;&lt;li&gt;To know what you have sent when using the webmail (to have a copy of it) you may copy your own address in the Cc field for every mail you sent out. The message will arrive back in your mailbox and when you are at home you will also have that copy at home. &lt;/li&gt;&lt;/ul&gt;&lt;blockquote&gt;&lt;b&gt;Messages at home as well as at work &lt;/b&gt;&lt;/blockquote&gt;&lt;ul&gt;&lt;li&gt;When you at home, e.g. in the evening, you may access your messages through PM and by default that would clear the messages from the server.&lt;/li&gt;&lt;li&gt;However, if you want to have ALL messages on the server as well as a copy at home you may want to experiment with the following PM settings under:&lt;/li&gt;&lt;li&gt;Tools -&amp;gt; Internet Mail Options - &amp;gt; Receiving POP3 - under &amp;lt;General&amp;gt;: remove tick &quot;Delete mail on server once it has been successfully retrieved&quot; - under &amp;lt;Download controls&amp;gt;: put a tick in &quot; Download only unread mail&quot;&lt;/li&gt;&lt;li&gt;These settings would leave your email on the server and PM would only download the &#039;unread&#039; ones. Once you have done so (e.g. in the evening at home) you may next day sort all email into folders in your webmail.&lt;/li&gt;&lt;/ul&gt;&lt;b&gt;- 3 -Setup Home / Home-Office (two computers)&lt;/b&gt; &lt;i&gt;&lt;b&gt;Option - 2: &lt;/b&gt;&lt;/i&gt; &lt;ul&gt;&lt;li&gt;Different PM users&lt;/li&gt;&lt;li&gt;PM users are using different computer (at home)&lt;/li&gt;&lt;li&gt;Emails and folder trees are separate for each PM user on different computers.&lt;/li&gt;&lt;/ul&gt;&lt;ul&gt;&lt;li&gt;I assume you started off with ONE computer and later your partner/other user want to have their own computers. &lt;/li&gt;&lt;li&gt;You have done as described under&amp;nbsp; - 3 - Option 1&lt;/li&gt;&lt;li&gt;Copy the entire email directory and subdirectories from your old computer to the new one as to the example above: d:/.../data/email/&lt;/li&gt;&lt;li&gt;This will of course contain emails (e.g. from yourself) that will not be needed by the new user on your new computer (e.g. your partner). This is not a problem and you may just ignore the not used section or ...&lt;/li&gt;&lt;li&gt;You may delete content of irrelevant subdirectories (e.g. of &quot;.../don&quot;) but you should leave the directory itself.&lt;/li&gt;&lt;li&gt;Make sure the file &quot;PMAIL.USR&quot; which resides in the &quot;d:/.../data/email/&quot; directory (as to the above example) is being copied as well.&lt;/li&gt;&lt;li&gt;Make a fresh multi-user installation of PM and point it to the &quot;.../data/email&quot; directory. It will recognise the different users as on the original installation including all the settings! &lt;/li&gt;&lt;li&gt;Just use the PM user the PC is meant to be for from there onwards e.g. &quot;abc&quot; (as to the example) and disregard the rest.&lt;/li&gt;&lt;li&gt;For ease of use you may set up the appropriate command line options in the short cut as described under&amp;nbsp; - 3 - Option 1.&lt;/li&gt;&lt;li&gt;All the PM user settings have been transferred to the new machine.&lt;/li&gt;&lt;li&gt;No change to the way the webmail is being used is necessary.&lt;/li&gt;&lt;/ul&gt;Hope it was of some help. Other scenarios are more than welcome. Cheers Thomas

How do I access my Pegasus Email from another computer someplace else (Like at work)?

Don Cole

&lt;P&gt;How do I access my Pegasus Email from another computer someplace else (Like at work)?&lt;/P&gt; &lt;P mce_keep=&quot;true&quot;&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/P&gt; &lt;P&gt;Don Cole&lt;/P&gt;

Don

There is probably not one solution but it all depends on what you exactly want to do and what the environments you operating in permit - options and restriction you are facing e.g. at home, work, travelling etc. and what your ISP provider supports etc.

One way could be to use the IMAP (instead of POP3) which allows multiple clients to access the same mailbox. Emails and structure would remain on the ISP server.

Maybe be more specific.

Cheers

Thomas

Don There is probably not one solution but it all depends on what you exactly want to do and what the environments you operating in permit - options and restriction you are facing e.g. at home, work, travelling etc. and what your ISP provider supports etc. One way could be to use the IMAP (instead of POP3) which allows multiple clients to access the same mailbox. Emails and structure would remain on the ISP server. Maybe be more specific. Cheers Thomas

Thank you for responding Thomas, I am using Pegasus 4.51 (June 29,2009). My POP3 is set to: Server Host Name:pop.att.yahoo.com STMP Server Host Name:smtp.att.yahoo.com Actually my girlfriend, (who shares my email with me) wants to check the email from her work or an iternet cafe. I don't know how they work. Don Cole

Thank you for responding Thomas, I am using Pegasus 4.51 (June 29,2009). My POP3 is set to: Server Host Name:pop.att.yahoo.com STMP Server Host Name:smtp.att.yahoo.com Actually my girlfriend, (who shares my email with me) wants to check the email from her work or an iternet cafe. I don&#039;t know how they work. Don Cole
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft