Community Discussions and Support
Removing To: header in Sent mail folder

[quote user="Thomas R. Stephenson"]

If the top of the column was changed to To instead of From then the normal messages that are showing the From address would be wrong and you could not tell from the message entry.   One way or the other the column headers is going to be wrong unless you never put a copy to self in another folder or a regular message in a copy to self folder.  

The solution of adding the To: to the address in the From column was the only rational solution. 

[/quote]

What we have now is a perfectly acceptable solution given the fixed nature of the columns in a message list (and is a quirk that I actually quite like), but a future version of Pegasus badly needs to include the ability to customise which columns are on display as well as show the full details (truncated subject lines?). This may perhaps be included as part of the current re-write of the foldering system, I don't know.

As I said, personally I enjoy the "To:" prefix, but I do wish that I could add other columns to the view and I definitely think that it's a reasonable expectation of users.

<P>[quote user="Thomas R. Stephenson"]</P><P>If the top of the column was changed to To instead of From then the normal messages that are showing the From address would be wrong and you could not tell from the message entry.   One way or the other the column headers is going to be wrong unless you never put a copy to self in another folder or a regular message in a copy to self folder.  </P><P>The solution of adding the To: to the address in the From column was the only rational solution. </P><P>[/quote]</P><P>What we have now is a perfectly acceptable solution given the fixed nature of the columns in a message list (and is a quirk that I actually quite like), but a future version of Pegasus badly needs to include the ability to customise which columns are on display as well as show the full details (truncated subject lines?). This may perhaps be included as part of the current re-write of the foldering system, I don't know.</P><P>As I said, personally I enjoy the "To:" prefix, but I do wish that I could add other columns to the view and I definitely think that it's a reasonable expectation of users.</P>

I have noticed that pegasus appends a To: header on my sent mail. Other clients I use, don't.

How can I disable the To: header?

I just prefer my Sent mail folder to have recipient's name only and not the To: header

Currently using pm 4.52 and using imap

Daryl

<p>I have noticed that pegasus appends a To: header on my sent mail. Other clients I use, don't. </p><p>How can I disable the To: header?</p><p> I just prefer my Sent mail folder to have recipient's name only and not the To: header </p><p>Currently using pm 4.52 and using imap </p><p> </p><p>Daryl </p>

You can't. But it wouldn't surprise me if this were changed in the next version.

Cheers!

<p>You can't. But it wouldn't surprise me if this were changed in the next version.</p><p>Cheers! </p>

Very much a cosmetic thing. The To: prefix is currently very meaningful and correct because the column caption for the 1st column says "From", so the To: is the correct term because the address is the "To: address, not the From: address.

Ideally, it would be better to change the column caption into "To:" for the Copies to Self folder. But at least I regard this as something *very* nonrelevant.

Sven

<p>Very much a cosmetic thing. The To: prefix is currently very meaningful and correct because the column caption for the 1st column says "From", so the To: is the correct term because the address is the "To: address, not the From: address.</p><p>Ideally, it would be better to change the column caption into "To:" for the Copies to Self folder. But at least I regard this as something *very* nonrelevant.</p><p> Sven </p>

Thanks all. It wasn't a huge issue, but just curious to see if something could be done

Daryl

<p>Thanks all. It wasn't a huge issue, but just curious to see if something could be done</p><p> </p><p>Daryl </p>

I assume that it is based on a quick-fix-work-around from the past ... but still an inconsistency which I assume will get fixed?

However, when it comes to the columns as well as the button bars I would still like to see more flexibility allowing to easily add, remove and adjust to personal preferences and needs - best through context menu of right mouse button etc.... rather than through "ini-file hacking" .[;)]

Cheers

Thomas

<p>I assume that it is based on a quick-fix-work-around from the past ... but still an inconsistency which I assume will get fixed? </p><p>However, when it comes to the columns as well as the button bars I would still like to see more flexibility allowing to easily add, remove and adjust to personal preferences and needs - best through context menu of right mouse button etc.... rather than through "ini-file hacking" .[;)] </p><p>Cheers </p><p>Thomas </p>

You can remove the "To:" by going to Message Properties and unchecking the "Is a copy to self" box but, if you then move or copy the message to another folder, it will not be apparent that the message is a self copy because the "To:" is still omitted:  you can restore the "To:" in the destination folder by reindexing it.

Bob

<P>You can remove the "To:" by going to Message Properties and unchecking the "Is a copy to self" box but, if you then move or copy the message to another folder, it will not be apparent that the message is a self copy because the "To:" is still omitted:  you can restore the "To:" in the destination folder by reindexing it.</P><P>Bob</P>

[quote user="Thomas-M. Stein"]I assume that it is based on a quick-fix-work-around from the past ... but still an inconsistency which I assume will get fixed? [/quote]

Does it need fixing? The problem arises when someone stores both incoming and outgoing messages in the same folder.  You need to easily see which are which and the current 'To:' prefix seems a good solution.

<P>[quote user="Thomas-M. Stein"]I assume that it is based on a quick-fix-work-around from the past ... but still an inconsistency which I assume will get fixed? [/quote]</P> <P>Does it need fixing? The problem arises when someone stores both incoming and outgoing messages in the same folder.  You need to easily see which are which and the current 'To:' prefix seems a good solution.</P>

> > I assume that it is based on a quick-fix-work-around from the past ... but still an inconsistency which I assume will get fixed?
>
> Does it need fixing? The problem arises when someone stores both incoming and outgoing messages in the same folder.  You need to
> easily see which are which and the current 'To:' prefix seems a good solution.

Exactly right.  It's there to identify those messages that are copies to self and that have the option to resend.  Without this indication you would never know which message was capable of being resent.

> > I assume that it is based on a quick-fix-work-around from the past ... but still an inconsistency which I assume will get fixed? > > Does it need fixing? The problem arises when someone stores both incoming and outgoing messages in the same folder.  You need to > easily see which are which and the current 'To:' prefix seems a good solution. Exactly right.  It's there to identify those messages that are copies to self and that have the option to resend.  Without this indication you would never know which message was capable of being resent.

Yes and no [:)]

Yes, you are absolutely right in respect to the "To". I definitely agree that it should be somehow clear that theses messages in the COPYSELF folder are sent TO the address and are not from that address (I never disputed that). However, my comment was actually purely related to the "inconsistency" in the description. Why is there are "From" in the column header description while below it says To. All what I want to say is that there should actually be a "To" in the column description - to be consistent. [;)]

Cheers

Thomas

Yes and no [:)] Yes, you are absolutely right in respect to the "To". I definitely agree that it should be somehow clear that theses messages in the COPYSELF folder are sent TO the address and are not from that address<i> (I never disputed that)</i>. However, my comment was actually purely related to the "inconsistency" in the description. Why is there are "From" in the column header description while below it says To. All what I want to say is that there should actually be a "To" in the column description - to be consistent. [;)] Cheers Thomas

Yes, you are absolutely right in respect to the "To". I definitely agree

that it should be somehow clear that theses messages in the COPYSELF

folder are sent TO the address and are not from that address (I never

disputed that). However, my comment was actually purely related to

the "inconsistency" in the description. Why is there are "From" in the

column header description while below it says To. All what I want to say

is that there should actually be a "To" in the column description - to

be consistent.

The Copies to Self is just like any other folder in that it can contain both copies to self messages and other messages that have been received and placed in this folder.  If the top of the column was changed to To instead of From then the normal messages that are showing the From address would be wrong and you could not tell from the message entry.   One way or the other the column headers is going to be wrong unless you never put a copy to self in another folder or a regular message in a copy to self folder. 

The solution of adding the To: to the address in the From column was the only rational solution.

<blockquote>Yes, you are absolutely right in respect to the "To". I definitely agree that it should be somehow clear that theses messages in the COPYSELF folder are sent TO the address and are not from that address<i> (I never disputed that)</i>. However, my comment was actually purely related to the "inconsistency" in the description. Why is there are "From" in the column header description while below it says To. All what I want to say is that there should actually be a "To" in the column description - to be consistent.</blockquote><p>The Copies to Self is just like any other folder in that it can contain both copies to self messages and other messages that have been received and placed in this folder.  If the top of the column was changed to To instead of From then the normal messages that are showing the From address would be wrong and you could not tell from the message entry.   One way or the other the column headers is going to be wrong unless you never put a copy to self in another folder or a regular message in a copy to self folder.  </p><p>The solution of adding the To: to the address in the From column was the only rational solution.</p><p> </p><p> </p>
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft