Community Discussions and Support

The perfect forum for general discussions or technical questions about Mercury Mail Server.

There is a way to customize headers in automated mailing list messages (such as Welcome, Farewell and so on)? I mean, for example changing the Subject: ("Sottoscrizione" instead of "Subscription information"), or adding a X-Something header, and so on.

I know I can  instruct Mercury to use my Welcome and Farewell files, but these these seem not to be treated as full messages, as other templates; headers are written indipendently, and the files are used only for the body of the message.

I'd like to be able to nationalize the Subject:, at least.

Ciao.

closed
PiS posted Jan 10 '08 at 11:19 pm

Arrrrghhh! - is my English that bad? The question was not for you to answer Thomas.

It was a humble query to the developer, David, about how the semantics works, not the code, and if what you propose is true (haven't seen that E works that way - since I've only seen it use the pointers not the local dns cache) and the future plans/ideas of Mercury dns lookups, hopefully a clarification on lookups against the hosts file, reveverse lookups, lookups of SPF, etc - so that someone could work a daemon for those that would like to implement SPF.

closed
hef posted Jan 13 '08 at 8:10 pm

This is the answer: There is a small error in the command line for Sophos which comes with Virscan. It must read "-remove" and not "-removf". Now it runs.Heiko

Headers added by daemons and content control survive a move action since they are written into the QDF RFC 2822 message file prior to passing the message back to core for processing.  Headers added by filtering are only added when the final headers are written by core when creating the CNM file. A move bypasses this final core action. Check out the first few headers in a message delivered normally and one delivered via a move.  The Last received line and the X-Envelope-To: is missing.  Here's two of mine.

Normal delivery 

Received: from spooler by tstephenson.com (Mercury/32 v4.60); 7 Jan 2008 05:35:50 -0800
X-Envelope-To: <support@tstephenson.com>

X-SPAMWALL: Passed through antiSPAM test by SpamHalter 4.3.0 on tstephenson.com (251)
X-SPAMWALL: probability - 0.0%
X-CLAMWALL: Passed through antiviral test by ClamWall 1.1.4 on tstephenson.com (952)
Return-path: <NoReply@praktit.se>
Received: from mail.praktit.se (62.20.118.73) by tstephenson.com (Mercury/32

Move delivery 

X-SPAMWALL: Passed through antiSPAM test by SpamHalter 4.3.0 on tstephenson.com (72)
X-SPAMWALL: probability - 99.4%
X-SPAMWALL: SPAM detected!
X-CLAMWALL: Passed through antiviral test by ClamWall 1.1.4 on tstephenson.com (959)
Return-path: <mogens@sinagirl.com>
Received: from smtpout1.bayarea.net (209.128.100.196) by tstephenson.com

You might try using content control and passing a message to your program or script to add the necessary headers. 

MANY (!) thanks. We do already have the 'names' or users set up and all files on the server.

We were only using the outside service to filter and I'm believing we can do as good or better job

internally. I was using F-Prot but will also look at ClamAV for virus - F-prot currently turned off.

I did use the inherent spam filter in Merc but had turned that off as well.

I am not sure about the 'relay' aspects? Will see what I can find... want to lock it all down as tight as

I can without losing mail. Thanks so much for the help!

Doc 

closed
Rolf Lindby posted Jan 4 '08 at 3:39 am

Yes, S in that position should stop all transaction filtering:

To understand the difference between the 'X' and 'S' actions, you need to be aware that transaction filtering is done in several "passes", each pass testing a different state of the SMTP transaction. The 'X' action only exits from the current pass, meaning that future passes will still take place. The 'S' action, however, exits from the current pass and suppresses all further transaction filtering on the message altogether.
So if that doesn't work you will need to check that the expression in "*theserver*" actually does match the server's HELO string (and of course make sure that you want the rule to trigger on no hit if you put N in the 3rd position).

/Rolf
closed
Thomas R. Stephenson posted Dec 30 '07 at 4:09 am

[quote user="bpczi"]

Hi!

I am a newbie and someone is trying to send mails via my mercury installation. There were about 13.000 Mails in the queue which I have deleted!

What I have to configure that my mercury installation is more safe? I have activated the checkboxes

Do not permit SMTP relaying of non local mail

and

Use strict local relaying restrictions

Now he can not send mails but it causes a lot of traffic because he is trying and trying...

Is there a way to configure mercury so, that smtp is only allowed after authentication? Or is there a better way to counteract against that? Is it better to use another port than 25?

What do you prefer in such a case? 

I am very sorry about my bad English and i hope, that you understand my problem!

Many thanks for your help!

best regards

bpczi
 [/quote]

Turning off relaying is a start.   You can turn on the authentication for relaying but it's not going to help here since it will not keep him from trying.  You may be able to block his IP address from sending at all and that will help reduce the load.  The basic point is you have blocked the relaying and after awhile he'll go away.

closed
lbarryb posted Jan 2 '08 at 1:41 pm

"Is the mail being sent to  user@broadoak.co.uk then being redirected to Mercury as SMTP mail?"

• Yes exactly that.

"If so have you told the router to send all mail for port 25 to the LAN IP address of the system running Mercury/32? "

• This has now been done - it works fine ... and I now know a lot more about how the router works.

Many thanks for your help and a Happy New Year to you.

[quote user="feamster"]I'd like to have mail end up in specific folders based on what is in the subject.  I'd prefer to have it occur at the server level instead of at the client level.  Example: If the word cnet is in the from field I can place it into my imap tech folder automatically.  I saw forwarding, copy, moving,saving to disk as actions but didn't really see anything that would do this.  Thanks[/quote]

Sorry, can't be done.  Mercury/32 knows nothing about the users mail folders when delivering the mail. 

Hello Rolf, 

I take your point and as I said, that is what we are focussing on, and I already have and use Second Copy. I just wondered if, knowing that things like interference, wireless blips etc can cause crashes, I just wondered if there is a better way to do this. I can use the software I already have, with all the different copy options: Synchronise source and destination to match exactly; Exact Copy - copy source to destination, delete obsolete files from destination.

Ellie 

It's possible to change the mail server account name to something else than maiser by editing the Maiser: line in mercury.ini. I haven't found a way to modify the description in the confirmation mail, though, or the sender for the welcome mail, as no headers are included in the template files. But maybe someone else knows a way.

/Rolf 

closed
Rolf Lindby posted May 29 '09 at 6:23 pm

The encryption library used by Mercury for SSL can apparently only handle certificates that were created by the program itself at present. As Peter said, this is an important issue that will need to be addressed in future releases.

/Rolf 

Actions
Hide topic messages
Enable infinite scrolling
Previous
Next
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft