Community Discussions and Support

The perfect forum for general discussions or technical questions about Mercury Mail Server.

closed
Thomas R. Stephenson posted Oct 29 '07 at 5:44 am

[quote user="mt_100"]

I am getting this error from Mercury running on Windows platform but only when sending to one domain. I can send mail several places with no problems but Yahoo gives this error when I try to send mail to it.

Anyone have ideas? 

[/quote]

Turn on session logging and see exactly what's happening when you send to Yahoo.  There is probably some error message that indicates what is going on.

closed
Greenman posted Nov 12 '07 at 10:44 am

Sorry about this - the POP3 modules were not downloading anything. No *.MD files were in the folder.

What was happening was that the MessageLabs banner was not visible in one view - all mail defaults to plain text view, and although the banner is visible in the majority of these, it is not visible in others. Switching views revealed the banner. And the spam mails are addresses to two people who have filled out online surveys and and have not un-ticked the 3rd party mail request.... grrrr

Sorry for the false alarm.

closed
Thomas R. Stephenson posted Nov 1 '07 at 10:33 pm

[quote user="cfastner"]David:

We are using Mercury32 for hosting several listservs. We have found that there seems to be a problem with a Groupwise Client "adding" or "removing" email addresses from one of our Listservs. It appears that when you type an email address into the Groupwise client, Groupwise tries to turn it into a link and adds an extra space at the end of the line which is converted to "=20". This means that we have several email addresses on the Listserv that produce errors because of the "=20" at the end of the address. Can Mercury32 changed to process these messages properly?

eg.
"add listserv@listserv.com testing@listserv.com" becomes
"add listserv@listserv.com testing@listserv.com=20"

Thanks!

Charlie
~~~
[/quote]

Probably not.  These should be sent as plain text messages and if Groupwise does not have a plain text capability then the only option is to use a mail client that does have this plain text capability.

closed
slavergne posted Nov 5 '07 at 9:35 pm

I appreciate all the assistance.  The problem is now gone.  I haven't changed anything on my end, so I assume the techs on the other end found the problem.

Thank you to everyone for their suggestions.

closed
JustMe posted Oct 25 '07 at 10:36 pm

Hi,

many thanks. I tried in several times with the rule "If header "T" contains "walter.muster@domain.com" Copy "SFeiler"" an it works great. The solution can be sometimes so easy.

Now I will trie some other rules but I think/hope, I dont need help any more...

Thanks for your time!

regards

Eichstetter Marco

[quote user="bryroller"]I would like the delivery transcripts from Mercury/E to include the recipients address. What variable could I use to paste that info to the returned TS: message?[/quote]

Not sure what you are looking for here.  The returned transcript provides both the MAIL FROM: senders address and the RCPT TO: receivers address.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
                         Mail Delivery Transcript

This system-generated message contains a transcript documenting the
process of delivering an e-mail message. It does not prove that the
recipient has either received or read your message - merely that the
message has been successfully accepted by another system, which now
assumes responsibility for delivering the message to the recipient.
In the vast majority of cases, though, this transcript can be used as
a reasonably reliable indication that a message has been successfully
delivered.

In the transcript, lines marked ">>" are the commands sent by this
mail server, while lines marked "<<" represent the replies from the
remote mail server.

Transcript generated by:     tstephenson.com
   Message date:                Thu, 01 Nov 2007 13:40:08 -0700
   Message subject:             Transcript testing
   Job identifier:              MO006C3C
   Delivery started:            Thu, 1 Nov 2007 14:40:13 -0700
   Delivery ended:              Thu, 1 Nov 2007 14:40:16 -0700

----------- Transcript of delivery process follows ----------------------
Established connection to 209.85.147.114
>> MAIL FROM:<support@tstephenson.com> SIZE=930
<< 250 2.1.0 OK
>> RCPT TO:<support.stephenson@gmail.com>
<< 250 2.1.5 OK
>> DATA
<< 354 Go ahead
>> [Sent 930 bytes of message data]
<< 250 2.0.0 OK 1193953216 m6si3014480wag
14:40:16: 3 seconds elapsed, closing connection.

closed
David Harris posted Nov 5 '07 at 5:43 am

Doh! Ignore my last posting - I just noticed you say you're using v4.01c, which is of course the patched version.

Pardon my noise... ;-)

Cheers!

-- David --

closed
chriscw posted Jul 7 '08 at 12:57 pm

I have been having a similar problem, although not with spam from a specific sender, and had wondered if some of the mails which were not being scanned by Popfile were missed because the server was too busy since it is only a single core single CPU system.   However I had a quick look at one example today and noted that it was 58 K in length and that my -s setting was 50.   I have now raised this to 100 and await developments.

There goes my reason for hassling my bosses for a spangly new server!

closed
joel posted Oct 20 '07 at 3:01 am

thanks. I've checked some of that and will keep digging.

assuming it's a process within mercury, would turning on some of the logging options tell me where/how the redistribution to multiple users is occuring when the message with a specific address comes in?

closed
Greenman posted Oct 23 '07 at 5:40 pm

I see.

I understand how to create and use a filter .rul file but how would you include the instruction to respond with a auto-reply template and forward the original file to the intended recipient? Can anyone provide an example of this please?

I cannot see any examples of this in the Mercury documentation.

closed
Owen posted Oct 19 '07 at 4:34 am

Thanks. . it works, and it's far easier to edit list properties with a text editor, and from another PC!

However, you must restart Mercury for it to be picked up.

It might be worth mentioning this in the next docs. 

closed
Thomas R. Stephenson posted Oct 12 '07 at 8:21 pm

[quote user="tuaris"]

How can I prevent mercury from generating delivery failure notifications for non-local users?

See the following: http://www.backscatterer.org/?target=backscatter 

[/quote]

Make your domain a domain type account in the domains setup and then set aliases to a local domain for all good users.  

For example, suppose you have the domain example.com.  You domains setup would look like

[Domains]

server : server
dm=example :  example.com
server : local.example.com

where example is a local user account.  Now all mail for example.com goes to the user example.   You can now setup alias for the users so that tuaris@example.com goes to tuaris@local.example.com instrad of the domain account since the aliased are processed before the domain.

With this setup everything for the domain example.com is received, nothing is rejected.

That said this is a pain in the rear to manage and rejecting the non-local users at the MercuryS server is a much better idea and is what is desired by the people at backscatter.org in the first place.  This is very difficult to do in a large corporate setup using mail gateways in multiple world-wide locations.  There is no way in the world that the corporate mail gateway server will ever be able to maintain a complete listing of the users on all the internal mail servers so that mail for bad user rejected at the local server may or may not bounce back to something other than the original sending system.

closed
Cls posted Oct 15 '07 at 8:54 pm

Update.

My ISP uses standard headers. I've made the recommended changes so I'm not rewriting the X-Envelope header. It works perfectly.

Many thanks again for all your help. 

[quote user="Keith Urry"][quote user="Thomas R. Stephenson"]

This is somewhat of a OOPS since this was never added to Mercury/32  This was just discussed in the testers group and David said this was easy to add and will probably get into v4.5x.Wait for the next version and check it out,

[/quote]

Thanks Thomas. Unfortunately I can't wait - I need this to work right away. I'm thinking of cobbling something together using the command-line tools from the NLM version (makembox etc). Is there any reason these wouldn't work with mercury/32?

Keith

[/quote]

Don't see why it would not.  These are only working with the Netware host to create a mailbox and once the mailbox is created them Mercury/32 can use it.  I do not know how many users you have but you may be able to use an alias as well to forward the incoming mail via the MercuryS.NLM.

closed
Thomas R. Stephenson posted Oct 8 '07 at 7:01 pm

[quote user="Addis"]

Hi,

I'm running Mercury/32 version 4.52 and I'm getting the following errors on MercuryE

Network write failure during data transmission to xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

TCP/IP error during processing

It is causing about 50% of all mail to fail when sending, Mercury doesn't seem to retry either.

Could someone please suggest what may be wrong?

Thanks

[/quote]

Hard to say what is going on, we need more info.  You need to turn on session logging in MercuryE and see exactly what is happening between MercuryE and the receiving servers.  That said, if you have a randomly assigen IP address I really think you'll find that there are servers dropping connection because this is not a fixed IP address.

Actions
Hide topic messages
Enable infinite scrolling
Previous
Next
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft