Community Discussions and Support

The perfect forum for general discussions or technical questions about Mercury Mail Server.

closed
Sully posted Aug 31 '07 at 1:51 pm

The Netware server NLM version doesn't, no.

But Mercury/32 running on a windows PC with the Netware Client works perfectly, you can even just use Mercury/32 for IMAP while still using the NLM version for everything else such as mail delivery, this was exactly how we were running things up till about a month ago.

David 

closed
PiS posted Aug 31 '07 at 12:15 pm

I think this incentive is good. There should be a difference between trial- or unlicensed installs vs. licensed. The licensing work in progress will most likely allow privatees to license.

A correction on MS is that you can download the patches manually and install them, Only a few require authentication to actually install, and there are ways to slipstream them onto a system as well.

Regarding a mailing list, for all unlicensed, the pm-news list and this community is still and most likely always around for announcements, but the latter is mainly a pull method, whereas a list is a push system. Now, email may not reach all, depending on content, format, sender hickups, receiver policies and other hickups that arise from time to time - therefore - a phone-home system within Mercury/32 that is allowed to contact and inform of new releases, then notifying locally that information exists is a very charming way to go. A such system must though be thoroughly tested due to its importance.

closed
Methuselah posted Sep 7 '07 at 10:36 am

Thank you, Thomas.

Hmmnn . . Maybe I've got it wrong, but it didn't find anything in my log files.

Like, everything zero.
I pointed it at the MERCyymm.LOG files in LOGS.

Maybe the logfile format changed in V4.51 ?

I have mailed robert, if no response, I will probably knock-up my own version.
As you mentioned, the log-file has the data I am needing, just gotta extract it.

closed
David Harris posted Sep 7 '07 at 5:12 am

No, you can't suppress these identification items. In actual fact, you wouldn't achieve much even if you could do this - all mail servers have "fingerprints" that are easy enough to track: variations in error strings, responses to different commands and so on.

The version information in the Received: header is very useful to me when doing support and maintenance, and I would be reluctant to remove it.

Cheers!

-- David --

This behaviour is documented in the Help.

EDIT - I just checked and couldn't find it, maybe I read it elsewhere, but it has been documented somewhere [:)]  - END EDIT

You can specify an action for each CC definition, but if you use X-CC & X-UC headers for triggers in filtering rules you will only get the result of the last CC definition.

closed
PiS posted Aug 24 '07 at 12:48 am

Since it appears that you have isolated the issue to a  queue phenomenon, try running each module manually (note that you may have to press the poll button twice sometimes for it to complete its rounds). Before taking the turn from MercuryD to the Mercury-core, copy the queue files to another location. If the server crashes on every occasion when you poll the core with the queue in place, initiate Thomas or someone else on the beta team here for duplication of your error.

closed
David Harris posted Nov 5 '07 at 5:17 am

[quote user="Vincent Fatica"]

But I did discover that the queue's QDF file is not locked at daemon call-time and can simply be edited by the daemon.  Now I have a working daemon in place getting rid of the "Sender: Maiser" header.

[/quote]

You MUST NOT DO THIS! This is so much of a problem that if I find that a Daemon is doing it, I will be forced to add code to Mercury to detect and suppress loading of that daemon. Mercury DOES provide a daemon-level method of modifying the raw data files of a job, but it's not shown in the current version of the daemon toolkit. Even so, that is the only approved way of modifying the actual data fork of a job, and you must not attempt to do it "behind Mercury's back" in this way.

The real problem here is the mail program that's trying to reply to Maiser. The RFC822/2822 definition of the Sender: field is quite unambiguous - it must be used whenever the entity sending the message is not the same entity as the one shown in the "From" field - the most usual example is a secretary sending a message on behalf of her boss. It makes no sense for the reply to go to the secretary - the mail program should be sending the reply to the actual author.

I'll consider adding an option to suppress or restructure the "Sender" field in an upcoming version of Mercury, but initially, I'd be trying to find out why the mail client is doing such a bizarre thing.

Cheers!

-- David --

Here one can find a real exploit code (not just crashing the server!). As far as I can tell, it executes shell code, but to the real malware exploitation, it's "a small step in programming, but a giant leap to hijacking the machine...".

http://securityreason.com/exploitalert/2657

closed
PiS posted Aug 24 '07 at 1:05 am

If you want to send the mail off the mercury hosting server, the xxxxxxx.com domain cannot be in your local domains list - found under configurations/core tab localdomains

Lex,

I am trying to identify attachments in incoming mail. For instance, if an incoming mail has an attachment "SAMPLE.PDF", I would like to simply add a header. So, I have the following statement in RULES.MER:

If attachment ExtnPart contains "pdf" AddHeader "SpamCheck: !PDF!" 

The message is not moved / copied in filtering process. But this does not add any header as I want.

Also, the following command

if body contains ".pdf" weight 31 

in content control file SPAMBUS.DAT does not generate the weightage.

What may be the cause?

Actions
Hide topic messages
Enable infinite scrolling
Previous
Next
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft