Community Discussions and Support

The perfect forum for discussions or technical questions about Pegasus Mail.

closed
David Harris posted Jan 10 '08 at 3:49 am

There are so many possible reasons why this might be happening that it's basically impossible to offer any kind of sensible diagnosis without more information. The most likely scenario is a change at the ISP's end, perhaps in some form of blacklist or configuration.

The best thing you can do at this point is to generate a TCP/IP session log in WinPMail - go into Tools|Internet Options and check the "Create Internet Session logs" checkbox at the bottom of the dialog; then try a connection and get the error. The session log will be a file in your mailbox directory in the form TCPXXXX.WPM. Copy the text from the file and paste it into a reply here so I can see it (make sure you obscure any password information using "x"s when you do this). Finally, remember to turn off session logging once you're done - it eats disk space quickly.

Cheers!

-- David --

closed
Xavier posted May 20 '08 at 4:16 pm

Hi François,

I have been using PM and AVG for at least 7 years now and never had a problem. The point is to have them work together.

With version 8.0 of AVG this is now a cynch.

Just set up  AVG after setting up PM so that AVG install program can find the ports through which your mail is downloaded (usually port 110 or 995 if you are using SSL).

When PM downloads mail you will see a rectangular window appear at the bottom right hand corner of your screen telling you that mail being downloaded from some POP account is being scanned. Usually, AVG finds the virus before the mail has been registered as a new mail in the new mail folder and just inhibits PM from showing it. It also tells you that a mail with a virus has been stopped.

At most, it hangs PM. Just restart it and you won't even see the infected mail.

I can't begin to tell you how important both programs are to me. I receive a fair number of spam daily and some of them are infected....

closed
qevan posted Jan 4 '08 at 8:00 pm

Well, actually I fixed it by attaching to docking station again and then was able to get to the former neitherspace of the extended desktop again and use the popup window. :)

Thanks for the windows position information location.

There are a number of issue's I've had with extended desktops...usually the problems is that programs will pop things up in the 'main' monitor no matter if the application is running in the extended desktop.  Only this window instance...and one of a particular Winamp plugin...have caused me issues by insisting upon popping up in a non-existent extended desktop.  And this one is the only one that wouldn't let me access it via the normal windows capabilities of cascade/tile/...or 'move'.

closed
arnaudherve posted Jun 12 '09 at 11:44 am

[quote user="David Harris"]Microsoft's own resources suggest that there's a quite complicated process I have to go through to register as a system handler

[/quote]

Don't do it if it's not kept the same on Seven.

closed
qevan posted Jan 28 '08 at 5:49 pm

I have been having this sort of 'random crash' of Pegasus Mail for Windows 4.whatever for a long time myself - most notably when the systems appears to be rendering some 'graphical' email or another.  After booting the same message will invariably display. It does get very frustrating at times.

Will this new version of Bearhtml be available soon? 

closed
marty39 posted Feb 5 '08 at 7:38 pm

I assume you start Pmail from an icon (or menu item) somewhere. Right-click the icon, select Properties and add -i username to the command line (whatever the username is). Do the same thing in your web browser, and the mailto function should work. Any other questions, look at the command line options in Pmail help.

closed
David Harris posted Jan 10 '08 at 4:02 am

I routinely test Mercury here with mailboxes containing several thousand messages and haven't had any particular problems... As Thomas says, IMAP performance is never going to be quite as good as direct file manipulation, but it should be perfectly bearable.

A lot depends on exactly what the client package is doing: IMAP is quite a dense, complex protocol, and it depends very heavily on clients caching data in sensible ways (probably 75% of the IMAP code in WinPMail revolves around client-side cache management, for example).

One thing to look out for is Anti-virus software. If you have anti-virus software running in the background scanning the user mailbox directories, then this can have a dramatic impact on Mercury's ability to access mail files (factors of 10 or more in some cases), as well as introducing the very real possibility of data damage or folder corruption. It's always better to set up a Mercury Policy to handle anti-virus scanning on mail instead of using background scanner processes, because Policies are properly-integrated into Mercury's workflow.

I'm always working on Mercury's IMAP performance, though - it's one of those areas where there's always something you can tweak here or twist there to wring a little more speed out of the poor old girl. Mercury 4.6 will include some modest IMAP performance improvements, but like I said above, it sounds like your issues may be dependent on other factors.

Cheers!

-- David --

Find the directory on the copied drive which contains the mail files (they will be *.pmm and *.pmi pairs) and note the full directory path

In Pegasus, make sure that the 'Folders' window or pane (in preview mode) has the focus.  There will be a 'Folders' menu at the top.  From the Folders menu, choose 'Add mailbox to list'.  A dialog box will appear with two radio buttons and two edit boxes.  Make sure that the Directory path radio button is chosen, and type the full directory path which you noted above, including Disk letter (A,B,C,D,etc).  In the second edit box enter an identifier of your choice, say Old Mail.

Click OK and you will see an Old Mail mailbox at the bottom of the folders list.  That mailbox will contain your old mail folders with your old mail in them.  Either leave the old mail where it is, or copy it into folders in your main mailbox.

Good Luck!!

closed
Geyser posted Jan 2 '08 at 6:13 pm

Shut down Pegasus, go to the to your pmail user folder

(default is C:\PMAIL\[your user name]), rename the file hierarch.pm to

hierarch.bak.  When you restart Pegasus a

new hierarch.pm will be created.  If you

set up a hierarchical folder structure, that will be lost, but the folders and

messages themselves will still be there. 

I expect that should do it, but if that doesn't restore the Main Folder, shut down Pegasus again, delete the

newly-made hierarch.pm and rename hierarch.bak to hierarch.pm to get back to

where you started.

[quote user="RandyAndy"]

Hi,

First get an account at rollernet. Next set up your DNS addresses like:

incoming                     destination
mymailserver.domain   rollernet.us         MX-record
mymailserver.domain   xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx A-record

At rollernet you can use "IP Address Helper" option to setup the IP-adres for your mailserver (mymailserver.domain), it is also for dynamic ip. Here you also state what port number the server is using (2525 or 26 or whatever).

Then in MercuryS set the server to listen to additional port 2525 or 26 or whatever.

Disable all mailfiltering on your server, cause rollernet does not like it if you bounce messages. Rollernet has a good enough filter, so use that one for the fight against spam.

For outgoing mail, use your profider or upgrade your account at Rollernet to allow outgoing mail. I did that too.

Hope this helps.

[/quote]

Sorry.. idont understand your reply. I only have free account at rollernet.us, so the IP ADDRESS HELPER is disable. Where sould i put the dns dressess you gave me? I have a NO-IP account, where i use logeek.no-ip.org to enter to my dynamic IP, there i can setup a MX record, i think that there i must enter some entries. It is like this: MX Record and MX Priority ("Enter the name of your external mail exchangers (mx records) as hostnames not IP addresses.").

Could you send me a mini-tutorial with all the steps (no-ip, Mercury and rollernet) y must follow to configure that?.. Thank you for your time!

Remember that you can contact me on , MSN and EMAIL. Thank you again!

closed
Robert_Lema posted Dec 29 '07 at 11:10 pm

I wrote about this in the post: http://community.pmail.com/forums/thread/1757.aspx

But, I figure that this is a bona-fide bug and needs to have its own thread. If there has been any discussion or resolution of this issue before now, please let me know.

There is a problem with annotations.  The old style of annotations

had an "A" as the first letter and were able to be easily found if one

knew the name of the PMM file.  Now, the annotation filenames are 16

byte hash values which have no obvious connection to the message they

pertain to.

The old annotations are lost.

This is a bug, happening when upgrading Pegasus Mail to a newer version.

Is there a way to convert the old annotations to the new format so they

can be seen in the message as before.

I also would like a way to

find the annotation file given the message in the PMI/PMM file.

closed
Thomas R. Stephenson posted Dec 29 '07 at 5:32 pm

> One of my mail accounts at a particular ISP receives an enormous
> amount of spam. The reason for this is that the mailbox is
> identified by  '@domain.name.co.uk'.  This means that any character
> string preceding the '@' symbol will result in the message arriving
> in my mailbox, even if the name is not mine.
>
> This kind of addressing scheme may be OK for families or groups to
> receive individual mail at a common address, but I am the sole user
> of this account.  The spammers are aware of this address scheme and
> delight in prefixing garbage strings to their junk messages, in the
> hope that someone will download and open the message (mainly aimed
> at adolescent boys, I think).  A typical prefix is 'bksqe'.
>
> So far, not a major concern - just a nuisance. My filters reject
> anything that is not addressed to 'justin@domain.name.co.uk'.
>
> Today, there is a message in my ISP mailbox addressed to
> 'bksqe@domain.name.co.uk' and sent from 'bksqe@domain.name.co.uk'.
> My copies to self folder has no record of such an outgoing
> message.
>
> Is this the spammers forging my address?

Yes.

> Is there a genuine <bksqe@domain.name.co.uk> out there?

Unlikely.

>  Has my ISP become infected?

Unlikely

>
> The header has 'Message-Id: <20020101090209.5217.qmail@localhost>'.
> The return path is an address in Germany.
>
> The reason for calling for help here is that I do not have AV
> software. I have avoided infection for a couple of decades by being
> careful about where I surf, and deleting suspicious mail (or very
> occasionally, checking with the source whether mail has been sent).

Generally there is no harm at all downloading a message containing a virus with WinPMail. There is nothing that will happen when you download or even open a message containing a virus as long as you do not execute it.  

That said, there are a number of free anti-virus software packages out there that can be used with the VirScan extension than you probably should be using anyway.  There is nothing that says one of your friends will not become infected and send you and attachment containing a virus.

> Have I succumbed at last, or is there another explanation?
>
> I would like to avoid the hassle of wrestling with McAffee, Norton
> and others if at all possible.
>
> Ideas, suggestions, prayers, magical spells - all welcome.
>
> Aris
>
>  

> Hi,
>
> I am running Pegasus Mail v4.41 on Win XP and have for some days
> troubles in sending Mails. Receiving mails works (sending and
> receiving mails using the webmail-interface is ok also).
>
> After sending a new mail I get a window with the error "Incorrect
> authentication data" and shortly after that I get the message back
> with "Mail Delivery Failure - 535 Incorrect authentication data".
>
> I contacted my ISP to make sure to use the right server, port, login
> name and password (login name and password are the same for the
> webmail-interface and there it works). I also sent them the
> connection log. They told me a) to use SMTP Authentication and b) to
> disable CRAM-MD5-Encryption.

The problem is you cannot disable the CRAM-MD5 authentication, they must be the ones to do this.  David Harris has implemented ESMTP AUTH CRAM-MD5 for WinPMail, Mercury and Mercury/32.  They do a SMTP authentication in accordance with RFCs 2554 and 2195.  Mercury and Mercury/32 also do the LOGIN and the strange MS AUTH=LOGIN.  The program will always use the most secure method offered by the server.  

Talk to your ISP again and ask them why they are offering CRAM-MD5 at the server when they do not support it.

>
> I activated the SMTP Authentication with <username> and <password>
> but I still get the error.
>
> Now I don't know how to disable CRAM-MD5-Encryption. Is it possible?
> If so, how? If not, what else can I try?
>
> I searched the forum - especially for "535" and for "CRAM-MD5" but I
> couldn't get an answer that works for me.
>
> Can anyone give me some helpful advice?
>
> Thank you very much,
>
> Peter
>
>

closed
dunster posted Jan 2 '08 at 1:12 am

This is what I always do when my mail is on a server:

Place mail on the server e.g.:
\\SERVER\MAIL\MYMAILBOX1

Start a new setup with the latest downloaded setup file form the Pegasus site, just make a new program folder or use the older one, but then empty.
While installating do NOT mark the "make sample user mailbox"
After installating you start the Pegasus program and you can choose from 3 different installations, choose the lowest one (more users on a network).
Pegasus will ask you where you mail folder is, just type:

\\SERVER\MAIL\

And voila now you see all the users with the mailboxen inside Pegasus. 

Hopefully this is clear. 

[quote user="kms4180"]

I need a mail server that will allow systems to pass email back and fourth on a local area network only with no exposure to a WAN.  I would like to set up the server so it can be addressed via the ip address that Mercury is running on.  e.g. .  is it possible  to achieve this.  I have tried to set the following in the Mercury core load:

Internet name - 192.168.0.1

local domains

Local host or server  -  192 Internet name  - 192.168.0.1 

Users name is defined in the users defined for this system dialog 

When I try to configure outlook express I use the IP address as the pop3 and smtp values and then the account name is entered as it was in Mercury.

Can any one help with this? What am I missing?

Thanks

Kevin Stevens

[/quote]

The literal address form is user@[192.168.0.1].  You also need to put the IP address in the domains list using the [192.168.0.1] form so that Mercury/32 knows it's a local domain.  Now when you send mail to user@[192.168.0.1] Mercury core finds a matching domain in the domains list and then starts looking for a local user that matches the user portion of the email address.

closed
lphilpot posted Dec 25 '07 at 6:23 am

Well, that's part of the weirdness - Sometimes it happens, sometimes it doesn't. The only time I manually change the sort order is when it gets set other than reverse by date. I looked and "Remember and apply each folder's sorting mode separately" was unchecked, so I enabled it. I always exit properly, etc., so I'll see what different that changes makes.

Thanks.

Actions
Hide topic messages
Enable infinite scrolling
Previous
Next
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft