Community Discussions and Support

The perfect forum for discussions or technical questions about Pegasus Mail.

closed
Thomas R. Stephenson posted Aug 25 '08 at 6:36 pm

I assume you are using a standard 8 character ASCII username.  Are you using v4.62?  Are you using the CTRL+Configuration+Manage local users?  If so I do not really know why this is not working since I just did it with no problems at all. My only guess would be that there is some sort of system rights problem.

closed
jss1941 posted Dec 12 '07 at 5:35 pm

Using the tab-delimited export option is not good.  When the changed file is reimported, the entries in the addressbook are slightly corrupted. This seems to be related to the fact that the delimited file contains non-text filler characters (ASCII 09 -- null?).  Not sure whether the corruption is caused by using Excel to edit the fields, or whether it is caused when the file in reimported.

Much better is to export in tagged-text format which contains only printable characters.  I tried this, and it worked properly after editing in Notepad. 

[quote user="Tom"]

Apparently I made a big mistake.  In shifting over from OE, which requires a password to connect to my cable service via a wireless connection to my cable modem (I am on a network with one other computer), I checked the box requiring a NetWare password (there were no other boxes to check regarding passwords).  Now I am unable to open my Pegasus Mail because it requires a NetWare password.   Where and how do I (I) go to uncheck the NetWare password

Edit the pmail.ini file and change the line for the Netware password from Y to N.

and (2) how do I set up Pegasus Mail to utilize the network password into my modem?  TIA, Tom

Not sure what this means.  When I set a password in the wireless setup it's set outside of any application program.

[/quote]
closed
weblocust posted Dec 14 '07 at 12:26 am

Cheers. I like that a lot. It is nice to feel you can ask something/suggest something and the development team listen. It is quite rare in publicly available software.

Nick 

closed
Thomas R. Stephenson posted Jun 5 '08 at 11:11 pm

Personally I'd turn them all off for starters and checkout the effect.  If you cannot detect any change in function and if you no longer get the timeouts then you have solved your problem in one action.

closed
Phil posted Dec 8 '07 at 7:43 pm

You've at least 3 solutions to solve your problem :

1st is to put pmail on a usb drive and keep the drive in your pocket when you don't use it

2nd is to prevent other users to download your mail (but they can read the mails you've already downloaded), you just have to blank your pop password, when you launch PM, after having typed your username PM will ask you to enter the pop password for your default identity (or for the identity you choosed to start with, using the -ID command line parameter). When you try to download mails from another pop account set in another identity, if you've blanked the pop password PM will also prompt you for it.

3rd is to use the NTFS rights (only if you use win2k, XP or Vista). For me it is the *good* solution. You just have to give the following rights like this (windows administrator, who should be also PM administrator has full control on everything) : Users have he right "Read" on the pmail.usr file and "Modifiy" on their home mailbox  directory, nothing on others' home mailbox directories. If you want to use the internal transport system of PM (the hability to send a local mail to another user) you have also to give the users the right "Write" to all the home mailbox directories (easy to do by creating a group of PM users and giving the right to that group). Informations : the pmail.usr file is located in C:\PMAIL\MAIL (set by default except if you changed it), the home mailbox directories are directories located under C:\PMAIL\MAIL (except if you changed it).

The solution to change your account name seems to me not to be a good one, by uisng the menu entry Adresses/User management your kids can read all the PM account names of your system. If you want to change your username the solution is to change it in the pmail.usr file and to change the name of your home mailbox directory (take care to the number of characters if you didn't change ~8 to ~N with pconfig.exe, but that's another story).

HTH

closed
Thomas_N_ posted Dec 29 '07 at 1:01 am

Hello!

You cannot add a picture to a template within the current Template Editor, that is if you expect a WYSIWYG-kind of editor. However, there are two workaraounds that may help you:

(a)
When writing a message (in the Message Editor window), you can save the message for later editing (the "Save"-button). When saving a message, you can choose to save that message as "Reusable mail stationery".
The workaround is simply: just write a message within the Message Editor window (as if you wanted to send it); add pictures, formatting etc. as you want to; save the message, checking "Save this draft as reusable mail staionery". Next time you want to send such a message, open the Draft Manager window, edit the message text and the recipient's address, and send it. The Draft Manager lists those messages as "Stationery" (unlike a "Draft message" that has been saved only for later editing).
Note: if you open a message from the Draft Manager, make sure that the "Rich box"-box is checked. There is a small problem in saving a formatted message: the "Rich text"-box is not checked anymore if you open the message from the Draft Manager (even if you checkmarked that box before saving the message), so Pegasus Mail does not know that you want to send that message with formatting and inline-graphics.

If you want to have a fancy signature added to the message, make sure you have a "Rich text"-variant of the respective signature set defined.

(b)
I have to admit that the following workaround is something that I have not tested much, so you may have to try and find out whether it helps you. You should also know that the following suggestion is rather technical, so you may want to follow it only if you are (more or less) experienced in HTML and in the formal syntax of an e-mail mesage (like message body, message headers, inline-graphics etc.)

The basic idea is to insert the HTML source code to the Template Editor and to tell Pegasus Mail to send an HTML-message. The main problem here is that the Template Editor currently does not have an option to switch between HTML and "text only", neither is the Template Editor a WYSIWYG-kind of editor.
(b1) The first thing is to enter the MHTML source code. MHTML means a mail-targeted version of HTML, and in this regard, it also means the additional information like boundary lines within a multipart message, content-type information etc.
Send yourself an e-mail message with inline graphics, fancy formatting, etc., and look at the raw view of that message after receiving it. You will probably see some lines similar to "------=_NextPart_000_0040_01C810B1.918D9510" or "Content-Type: image/jpeg;". All of these lines and sections follow the message headers. The idea is to have the same structure within the "Body"- /  "EndBody"-command of the Template Editor (including the decoded version of the picture file you want to send within the message). Perhaps, you send yourself the very message that you want to send as a birthday message and simply copy its raw vew to the "Body"- / "EndBody"-section of the Template Editor after receiving it.
Note that the Template Editor now contains the MHTML-source code which is unusual since the Template Editor usually "pure text" only. In other words: what you are doing here is a kind of a hack.
(b2) Usually, the Template Editor expects a "text only"-message to be defined. However, the message you want to send is an HTML-message, so you have to tell Pegasus Mail (and the recipient's e-mail client) that the message is an HTML-message instead. If you did not do so, Pegasus Mail would simply send the MHTML-source code as it is, so the recipient would simply receive the source code, not the fancy version you actually want to send.
In order to tell Pegasus Mail and the recipient's e.mail client that the message is HTML, you add the line similar to
set Header "Content-Type: text/html; charset=iso-8859-1"
to the template. Look at the sample message you have sent yourself: what "Content-type:"-header (within the actual message headers) was added to it? You may just copy that line to the template.

Note:
- This is a really technical hack. A downside of it is that the message the template will generate will probably have two "Content-Type:"-headers. I am not sure whether all e-mail client can handle this.
- While creating the message based on that template, Pegasus Mail handles that message as a "text only"-message. Because of the hack suggested here, it is only the recipient (not you) to see the fancy version of the message. I also suggest not to add any signature in a hack-template like this one.

As (b) IS rather complicated, I suggest you might send me a copy of the picture you want to add to the template, so I can try and create a template based on the hack I have suggested. If I succed in creating such a template, I will make it available to you (of course); otherwise, I will tell you that it does not work. As you said, you are new to Pegasus Mail, so I think a hack like this one may be too demainding to start with for you.
If you want me to create that template for you, just send me a private message, so we can discuss details.

closed
bstiefel posted Dec 5 '07 at 2:38 am

I have done this in the past for certain situations but I did have this working on the old version of mercury, when I upgraded to the latest version is when I started having the issue

I have Mercury installed on a server and PMail on about 20 computers.  Everything is working as expected except I have 2 user names longer than 8 characters long and I cannot log into there accounts.  I get "The user you are attempting to 'become' (USERNAME) does not exist on this system."  When I shorten the username to be 8 or less everything work.  I have the Local Mailbox directory path ending with ~N.  I have tried changing it to ~8 but receive the same error.

Thanks for your help.

I Resolved this with pconfig and running pconfig.exe.  I selected the "Standalone" menu and changed the ~8 to ~N and everything works.

closed
irelam posted May 22 '08 at 5:24 am

It is almost certainly access rights problem.  In Vista once a program is installed, the directory and its contents including sub-directories is changed to Read-only.

You need to setup the NewMail directory under My Documents or somewhere else such as the _localdata directory.  Then run PCONFIG.EXE to change the mailbox location to its new location. . 

HTH

Martin 

Hi everyone,

I have finally found what went wrong, if it can be of any help following is the "answer" :

The issue :

I've the English 4.41 version, with a clean re-install from today, my mailbox was created several years ago. Pegasus crashes even if no fields are filled, it's really the "send" button that trigger the crash. No syslog.pm file is created. I've tried WinsockxpFix.exe but still no change. By the way, everything else works great ! With a new mailbox starting from scratch, sending is ok, so it's something in my mailbox folder, but what ?

The answer :

State.pmj in my mailbox folder. Looks like the transfer from C:\ to S:\ drive wasn't updated in that file, I don't know why.

closed
ded1127 posted Jul 26 '13 at 9:13 am

I am so grateful for this forum. Pegasus Mail has so many functions that in all the time I've been using it I had not found these. I didn't even know how to ask the question properly so here's a big thank you to Ravi for asking the right question in an intelligent manner and to Han for a great answer.

closed
Niall Martin posted Jan 1 '08 at 5:23 pm

This phenomenon was also noted in the CIX confferencing system.  I did not notice it at once, but it did happen within a number of weeks.  It seemed to be linked to a general slowing  down of my system.  I don't use F-Secure, but F-Prot, but I believe this uses the same scan engine. 

closed
Han vd Bogaerde posted Dec 1 '07 at 6:44 pm

[quote user="bellev12"]

Hi

I have encountered an issue I can't rectify. 

I have not changed any setting in Pegasus nor have I downloaded any new software.

Now for the problem: When I send an email the recipient receives 3 copies.  I have contacted my isp regarding this issue thinking it was their fault - however when I send an email directly from the isp's post office the recipient receives only one email.

Is their some setting that I need to change?

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated

Bellev12

[/quote]

Well I would say, it's not possible. But then they get them. Ar all recipients getting multiple messages from you or only one. Perhaps this recipient is multiple times in your addressbooks en you resolve aliases for addressbooks....

Do you perhaps send to the person from a specific identity and have the bcc (or cc) fileds set to always mail to the recepient.

Go through the settings and check. Perhaps the recipient can zip the received files and can send them back to you so you can inspect them.

closed
irelam posted Nov 30 '07 at 5:30 pm

Please send me a copy of the crashing message (email: irelam@telus.net).   It sounds like it is another of the badly broken html messages. But your message suggests it can happen at any time you try to open a html message?  Do you have Bearhtml.dll installed in your Pegasus Mail executables directory (Eg c:\pmail)  ?  If you do, have you set up a Bearhtml.log in your NewMail directory (c:\pmail\mail) to record problems.?

Martin 

closed
aderoy posted Dec 3 '07 at 6:07 pm

Question:

Is there a way for Pegasus to display the lines within the message editor at the currently set right margin while I am typing?

ie: if set to 70 characters (monospaced style as per plain text) then by using Control J or reflow of paragraph the text would display with the line breaks as per the right margin? [ will reset mine to 65 characters in the Tool | Options for both pop and IMAP accounts/identities ]

If this can be done ( I think this is what I was trying to ask at the start of this thread) then my question is answered. As people have noted the target application will display as per the end user including any funky fonts, message viewer width etc. As I noted at the start, the error is most likely at my lack of understanding just asking for help in understanding.

closed
Thomas R. Stephenson posted Nov 28 '07 at 6:44 am

> Hi all, i am a newbie.
>
> Can anyone tell me how to easily get mercury mail to automatically
> send email at specified times?

Create a message in "Glue" header format and save it as a <8 character filename>.101.  Then use your scheduler to move this 101 file into the queue at the time you want.

Here's a sample of a plain text message in glue headers format.

$$ mailfrom@email.address
rcptto@email.address
cc@email.address

To:   rcptto@email.address
Cc:   CC@email.address
Date: 27 Nov 2007 13:57:22 +0100
Subj: Glue Headers

Body of message.  The $$ line is the SMTP MAIL FROM: address.  The next two lines are the SMTP RCPT To: addresses.  The next line is a blank line and is required.  The next lines are the body of the RFC 2822 message and I've made it pretty much as simple as it can be.  You can take a fully formatted RFC 2822 message (*.cnm) file from your new mail folder and create the glue headers 101 file if you wish to send HTML.

>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Atephoald.

Actions
Hide topic messages
Enable infinite scrolling
Previous
Next
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft