Community Discussions and Support

The perfect forum for discussions or technical questions about Pegasus Mail.

closed
Han vd Bogaerde posted Nov 25 '07 at 8:10 pm

[quote user="Ginhead"]

Hi !

I have a question about one extension I am using called "MultiPOP". I think it is useless and that the extra functionality it offers is already present in Pegasus Mail (v.4.41), but since I do not want to loose any settings, I would rather ask the question to be sure.

Thank you for your time.

Cheers !

Ginhead. 

[/quote]

Yes you are right. Multipop is obsolete. The identities functions are much better to use.

closed
Mike posted Nov 26 '07 at 4:13 pm

[quote user="Ginhead"]1) when you choose an IMAP account, can you have a copy of all the emails on your hard drive ? and (2) How does it work with the trays and folders in Pegasus Mail, does this structure is "replicated" on the server ?[/quote]

Good point: the ability to have offline email is an advantage of POP and a disadvantage of webmail. You can, however, have your cake and eat it with IMAP. Most IMAP clients allow for some form of "disconnected IMAP" under some name of other. I tend to keep everything server-side only myself, but checking in the help file I see offline use is definitely possible with Pegasus.

From the Pegaus Help file:

[quote]As you use an IMAP profile online, Pegasus Mail will build up a cache of information from the remote IMAP mailbox. This means that information about folders, headers and messages is stored locally on your PC. Pegasus Mail allows you to access this locally cached data in offline mode, without requiring any kind of network connectivity to the remote host. When you mount an IMAP profile offline, you can see all the folders in the profile, and can read any messages that are present in the folder cache. In offline mode, the IMAP profile is read-only - you cannot delete, change or add messages or folders in the profile while offline.[/quote]

You can highlight the profile and select the "use offline" button in the little "Manage IMAP Profiles" window  to switch to offline mode.

As for subfolders, as I recall you would need to check the box "This server supports folders within folders"  to see subfolders in Pegasus. Otherwise, since the namespace on most IMAP servers is "INBOX", so that in most email client interfaces every other folder appears to be a subfolder of INBOX, you end up only seeing the inbox.

Question (2) -- You should be able to modify your folder structure in Pegasus as you wish. For example, with Gmail, the folder "Gmail" appears to be what Pegasus calls a "tray". (With most IMAP accounts, INBOX would appear to be a "tray"). I could easily add a folder to the "Gmail" folder/tray, and it would then be there in the interface in Apple Mail on my Mac or in whatever else I logged on with from wherever. In fact, Gmail is a special case, since it lacks a proper folder structure and instead creates a  "label" server-side to match any folder you create in your mail client, so that if you logged into Gmail's web interface you wouldn't see a folder but a new label ... but you get the idea. Changes to the folders you make in Pegasus are reflected on the IMAP server.

closed
Newton McCoy posted Nov 24 '07 at 7:31 pm

Martin:

OK.  I just played with this a little more on a trial and error basis.  I tried eliminating the switch entirely.  And it appears that in Norton AV 2007, you don't need a switch; you just need the file marker.  

So this command line seems to be working now: C:\Progra~1\Norton~1\navw32.exe "%f"

Thanks again for helping me get this started.  Sorry for the bother.  Hope this solution will help someone else. 

I use TextPad - it has a nice search function that finds text in files (say, *.PMM) and displays the results in a separate window.  

Clicking on a result opens the file and places the cursor at the first occurrence. RegExp is supported, too.

It's also a superior text editor. [Y]  Shareware; http://www.textpad.com

closed
Thomas R. Stephenson posted Nov 21 '07 at 5:25 pm

[quote user="Anne-Kzn"]I send out emails to my consultants using distribution lists. I also use a draft stationary letter. In both the distribution list and the draft letter, I have checked the 'confirm reading' box. I really need to know that the emails have been received, but I'm not getting any receipts. At a recent meeting I requested that these consultants must have their email set up to allow for the receipts to be sent back to me. Unfortunately most don't use Pegasus, and all said they were set up to send receipts, but for some reason the emails I'm sending do not seem to arrive requesting 'confirm reading' - from Outlook, anyway. I know it's working, because I've included myself on the distribution list so that I can keep a check on the emails, and Pegasus is definitely getting and responding to the request.

I don't know Outlook at all - is there something I'm doing wrong, or can anyone tell me why Outlook does not seem to respond to requests from Pegasus, or how I can get them to set Outlook up so that it does?[/quote]

Try adding this header under the "Special" tab and see what happens.  FWIW, this is what Outlook uses.

Disposition-Notification-To: <your email address>

Maybe nothing since many people turn off these responses as an anti-spam measure.

closed
JohnStodden posted Feb 21 '08 at 12:30 pm

I appear to have solved the problem by adding the command line parameters -Z 1024 to the shortcut, as suggested by Thomas Nimmersqern in this thread.  Thank you Thomas!  Both laptop and desktop are now receiving normally.

Now to try and install it on a new Vista laptop...

(I am still suspicious of Flashplayer upgrade...)

closed
dleigh posted Nov 21 '07 at 11:22 am

Ok!  Thanks to BOTH Thomas'es, I understand how the hierarchy is setup and how to make it function (I needed both tips to make it work).  With regard to the ongoing discussion about the future way it should work, I would agree that having it work like Outlook would be preferable and probably for many people, more intuitive...but intuition sure is a subjective thing! [:P]

Thanks everybody!

[quote user="janurroz"]My Pegasus mail is not moving New Folder messages to the Main folder as it should.  Does anyone have an idea why this could be and how it can be fixed?   Thanks. - Jan
[/quote]

1.    Check the settings in the basic set to ensure that the mail is being sent to the main folder and not stored in the new mail folder on closing.

Allow read messages to stay in the new mail folder  Usually when you close the new mail folder, Pegasus Mail moves all the messages you have read but left there to  the folder you have specified as your Default Folder (see below). If you would prefer new mail to stay in your new mail folder until you explicitly move or delete it, check this control.

2.    Check the setting of the "Default folder" Go through the selection process to ensure it's actually a folder you have selected.

3.    Right click on the "Main" folder and do a "Check consistency" to ensure the folder is in good shape.

closed
jeremy_c posted Nov 20 '07 at 5:26 pm

[quote user="geby"]Technicaly, spamhalter plugin can be called for IMAP messages too. But problem is outside. In case of IMAP PMail not have place where can be stored classification result. This is reason why PMail not using SpamHalter on IMAP accounts.[/quote]

That doesn't quite make sense because I can reclassify the message as Spam or Ham and when I do, I can move the message to different folders, add annotations, or anything and the classification follows the message around just fine. So, it must be storing it somehow?

Jeremy

closed
Thomas R. Stephenson posted Nov 19 '07 at 5:03 pm

[quote user="ineuw"]One instance of WinPMail cannot see all user mailboxes unless you have added their mailboxes an user account via "Add mailbox to list" and you have not mentioned that you are using this.

Hi Thomas,

That is exactly what I have done.  I used the "Add mailbox to list".   Now, the question remains, is it possible to indicate unread mail automatically, as opposed to the colour change occurring only when I click on each mailbox?

Nope, you have to go into the added mailbox to make is active.  Even then the the count on a folder will be wrong unless you actually click on the folder. You can though run multiple copies of Pegasus Mail using the -MS commndline option and then use the popup "Telltale" new mail notification to know when the new mail arrives.  I do this quite often.

If you only have a formatted signature you will have no signature at all unless the rich text box is checked.  If you want a signature with plain text message you need a plain text signature.

I misunderstood the term "rich text".  I ignored it because I thought it refers to Microsoft's .rtf format.

ineuw

[/quote]
closed
sbrook posted Jan 16 '09 at 8:42 pm

Is there a way to optionally send the confirmation of reading depending on who it's going to?  e.g. it throws up a screen "do you want to send this confirmation of reading to joespammer@spammerworld.com.invalid

Thanks for the suggestion. We had a problem with an oversized PST at the same time, but the IMAP folder problem was common to all the users. I have just completed a test using Outllok Express and, unfortunately, there appears to be a 2GB limit on IMAP folders. This may not be entirely due to Mercury (v4.01a) but a Microsoft/Mercury combination - I have not tested with Thunderbird as yet. 

The test involved repeatedly copying one email with a 50MB attachment to a IMAP folder. This way the Outlook Express dbx files stayed small but the Mercury PMM file grew to over 2GB. Once over 2GB the emails began to become corrupted.

Many thanks for your help.  If anyone has a solution to this limitation I would appreciate knowing about it.

Thanks

Mike

closed
Rich Holford posted Nov 17 '07 at 1:20 am

There was a lot of discussion recently about two-sided printing and I suspect that your problem is analogous.  It seems that PM always re-initialises the printer and ignores any temporary setup.  The cure is supposed to be to use BearHtml for printing - press Ctrl+Shift+P while viewing an html message - but this doesn't work if the message is just plain text.

closed
richardr01 posted Nov 17 '07 at 2:20 am

Hi - thanks very much for that.

The settings showing for some reason did not have the progra~1 folder included, no idea why.

Anyway, it seems to be going fine now. Much appreciated

closed
gnzgasus posted May 2 '12 at 7:55 pm

[quote user="RobA"]I HAVE a macbook pro intel processor running OS 10.7.3 and I have been having problems getting PMAIL operational as well as many other programs and components in and around my computer.
BUT I found a great remedy...Snow Leopard. now everything works fine.
[/quote]

Hey thanks for the advice! I will be working in a Mac for the first time in my life and I'm trying to move most of my beloved softwares from Windows to Mac to feel like home.

Hope to get my email running smooth :) 

closed
Greenman posted Nov 23 '07 at 3:49 pm

Thanks, Thomas.

I disabled virus checking for the folder in question and tried to open the Main Folder. Pegasus froze for about 10 minutes then returned to normal without opening the folder. I clicked Open again, and it opened immediately. I moved all the mail into another folder (took a long time), then closed the Main Folder which automatically recovered deleted space - so another unresponsive wait.

I closed the account and performed a manual AV scan of the files - nothing was detected. I re-enabled virus scanning, and was able to open all folders without any problem.

Everything is working as it should. Thanks very much for your help.

closed
Thomas R. Stephenson posted Nov 14 '07 at 4:22 am

[quote user="EricT2000"]Greetings all.  I'm moving some folders from my file I/O based Pegasus Mail setup (using 4.41) to IMAP with Mercury (4.52) as the host.  One particular folder has 22500 e-mails in it, it was moved successfully to the IMAP folder.  But now when I try to open that folder, I get a message in pegasus that the folder is corrupted and that I should try to re-index.  But since it's an IMAP folder, there is no re-index option.  I checked the contents of the .PMC file (677MB large), but it's binary.  What are my options to recover the data?  Is the binary file-format publicized?  A different IMAP folder is even in worse shape; the .PMC and .PHC file are completely gone -- thankfully the contents in that one wasn't important.  Thanks for suggestions![/quote]

The folders are PMM (data) and PMI (index) with a Mercury/32 PNM file (new mail listing).  These folders can be opened with Pegasus Mail and reindexed if required.  All you need to do in install Pegasus Mail on the server pointing at the mailbox structure you use with Mercury/32.  This now will allow you to reindex the folder. 

That said since you are not describing the files and file structure properly there may be a problem with how you did the transfer.  A simply copy of the PMM and PMI files from the WinPMail home mail directory to the Mercury/32 home mail directory for the user is all that is required.  In addition, the IMAP4 protocol is very much more inefficient than the direct access so I'm not all that sure why you are converting. 

Actions
Hide topic messages
Enable infinite scrolling
Previous
Next
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft