Community Discussions and Support

The perfect forum for discussions or technical questions about Pegasus Mail.

closed
twonotes posted Oct 10 '07 at 12:15 am

I have been evaluating Pegasus to replace Thunderbird and while I like what I see working, there are some things that are so frustrating.

I have been cleaning up some of my IMAP folders, deleting old messages, etc.   I go thru a folder of some 600 messages looking for old ones I do not need any more.  I have the "move to Trash on delete" option selected.  When I see several consecutive messages I can delete at once I shift-select them and hit delete.  Sometimes (not always) Pegasus doesn't stop at the end of the selection but moves all the messages in the folder to the Trash.  Since it is not particular fast about doing this (1 msg moved per second)  I can see the messages counts going down in my folder and the count going up in Trash.

Sometimes I can hit the STOP button and it will quit.  Then I have to go into Trash and pull back out the things I did not want deleted.

closed
jan78 posted Oct 12 '07 at 10:41 am

Just a few more things for the record.

Opening the folder for the second time took 7 hours, same as the first time.  

Splitting it into smaller parts was fast--roughly a half hour to do all the parts.

Also, in my first post I said that peak memory usage opening the folder

went to about 1GB but now I realize that wasn't so. This time which was

right after a reboot it went to just 324MB.  (The first time, peak

memory was already at 1GB because of some prior process.)  

Many thanks for all of the help.

[quote user="Angus Scott-Fleming"]Second, by the time you reach 10,000 writes, a replacement flash drive will be included free with your next cup of coffeee at Starbucks.[/quote]

My first thought is "640k ought to be enough for anyone!" (Often accredited to Bill Gates, but no one is sure..) Funny how these days, M$ OSes always want you to install MORE RAM.. Even 4Gigs is quickly going to be too little..

Anyhow, to the O.P. (If you're still looking for suggestions..): Have you considered using the memstick as a mailserver instead? When you're home, plug it in and have PMail "sent" mail to it to be queued (as well as "download" any incoming mail). Then when you're at the Inet cafe, switch the server to send and collect queued mail. It really isn't that much different than in the old days when Inet links were so expensive, many smaller companies had LAN's that would only dial out to the Inet a few times a day to do mail transfers in batches. Only in this case, you're physically moving the location of the mailserver to a place you can connect. This way, the mailserver doesn't even need to sync with anything, it's entirely self-contained, and can delete it's queue files once mail is dispatched.

Happy Holidays,

C. M.

closed
Peejay posted Oct 9 '07 at 8:17 pm

Hello All

Just seen the light and for once it wasn't a train coming. For some reason although I am able to access my network drive (F: and up), when running the PMail NDS config PMail said it was unable to access the mailbox.  When I navigated to the SYS/ in explorer, explorer said I had insufficient rights.  The fix was to disconnect drive F: in the NW client and remap the drive using the XP drive mapping tool ( ie; right click and map - NOT the Netware mapping).  Hope this helps someone else.

Many thanks for your replies

TTFN 

closed
Cyrus posted Oct 23 '07 at 4:05 am

I've done some more looking into this and discovered that once-upon-a-time Thunderbird .

Because TBird uses password encryption by default, the solution was to create a user-settable "use secure authentication if possible" option (the default being 'yes'). So, people who ran into this bug could set "use secure authentication if possible = false", which would allow TBird to fall back to PLAIN if CRAM-MD5 failed.

As of September 2007, TBird also falls back to PLAIN if the channel is secure (i.e. SSL is up).

[quote user="RED121572"]

I am currently setting up Mercury32 on our mail server and I have run into a problem. Mercury32 is only allowing me to enter a maximum of 30 local users. Ive researched this, but Im having a hard time finding solutions.

Is Mercury32 only set up to handle a maximum of 30 local users?

Thanks!

[/quote]

Not at all, you can have as many users as you want up to the limit of the OS.  If you make the changes when Mercury/32 is running you need to use the CTRL+Manage local users to have them recognized without restarting Mercury/32.

Hello!

You can have the recipients' addresses suppressed if you edit the settings of the respective Distribution list. Follow these steps:

(1) Open the Distribution lists window, go to the distribution list in question.
(2) Press the "Settings..."-button.
(3) You will find a section titled "List address settings". Amongst others, you can define what the "To:"-entry should look like.
(4) Enter a valid entry there. "valid" means that the entry may have both a short list description (similar to a real name often given in e-mail addresses) and a valid e-mail address (preferably your own one).
(5) Do not forget to press "OK" in order to save the changes.

The main idea of that concept is that the recipients will see the entry you typed in in step (4) - they will not see each others' addresses anymore then.

Some thoughts about step (4):
The entry you may type in there should look similar to the e-mail addresses you enter otherwise. An example: your personal e-mail address entry may look like this:
"Bob Mulder" <bob_mulder@invalid.ocm>
so it contains both your real name (within the quotes) and the actual e-mail address (in brackets). In other words: you have both a human-readable value (what is written within the quotes) and an addressing value (what is written between the brackets). That structure should also be used when you type in an entry for set (4). Such an entry may be:
"Invitation to my birthday" <bob_mulder@invalid.ocm>
In this case, the human-readable part is obviously not a real name, but a short description of the distribution list (here: the people you want to invite to your birthday party). The addressing value is simply your own e-mail address - the recipients know it, of course, so it will do no harm using your own address there.

The help page "Distribution list options" says about that option (the "To:"-value you can define for a Distribution list):

To field (suppressing the list of recipients): Entering an address in this field will force Pegasus Mail to suppress the listing of all the recipients' addresseses in the To: field when you use the list. Instead of showing every member of the list, the To: field will contain only what you enter here. Because of the way Internet mail works, you cannot simply enter any piece of text in this field -- you must enter something which can be legally processed as if it were an address. We recommend that you use the following format to create the contents of this field:

"(descriptive text)" <(your own address)>

Replace (descriptive text) with a meaningful name for the mailing list, and put your own address where it says (your own address). Recipients will almost always see the descriptive text instead of your address so it will not seem as strange as it sounds. The quote characters around (descriptive text) and the angle bracket characters around (your own address) are vitally important and must be included exactly as shown. It is not possible to suppress the recipient list for MHS mail and this field will be ignored for MHS messages.

closed
juliangc posted Oct 3 '07 at 5:00 am

Hello!

I Pegasus to an usb stick almost a year ago, and there is something else you should try (in case you haven't find out that yet): there is a very useful tool in Pegasus' Program folder called "wssetup.exe".

Executing that file in every computer you want to use allows you to create desktop icons with the proper configuration
(in my experience, sometimes it fails, so maybe you'll need to correct the path in some computers...)

In my case, it's been working great, so if you have any issues, feel free to contact me.

Good luck,

Julian 

closed
Thomas R. Stephenson posted Sep 29 '07 at 11:31 pm

[quote user="Brian"]

Ok I think I see what is happening. This folder is open on more then one computer. If a message is deleted on any one of these computers it will not delete the message even when that copy of pegasus is closed down because other useres are accessing that folder.

This means that this question is really related to Mercury/32 rather than Pegasus.

Is it possible to allow the deleting of messages in this circumstance when the folder is open by more than one client? 

[/quote]

Nope, Mercury/32 IMAP does not support the EXPUNGE command to delete the message on the server when there are multiple connections.  The EXPUNGE command is executed only on the closing of the last connection.

closed
Cyrus posted Oct 4 '07 at 1:25 am

geby, thanks for that information. Unfortunately, Spamhalter daemon (or even a server for mercury/32) is not an option.

#1 Might it be possible to have the wi_sph Pmail plugin use a shared copy anyway?
    While I don't really care about speed, having a separate database for each mailbox does not contribute to good performance either.

#2 Also, can the  wi_sph.ini file be adapted to use mail folder *names*, not just IDs?
    If someone deletes a folder, the ID is invalid even if the folder is recreated (pmail's content control handler will create folders automatically if they do not exist, but the ID will change).

Thanks (and thanks for Spamhalter too! :)
Cy

closed
OldManRiver posted Sep 26 '07 at 9:35 pm

All,

I am writing a script to read a  file containing email addresses and call wsend, but need to invoke a P-Mail template with pre-scripted email content.

How do I do this, I do not even find wsendto anywhere in the manuals.

Thanks!

OMR 

closed
Thomas_N_ posted Sep 26 '07 at 7:12 pm

Hello!

Just guessing: perhaps, MIME-encoding was not turned on. It can be turned on at "Tools" | "Options" | "Outgoing mail" | "Messages and replies" -> "Use MIME features - ON". As far as I know, that option can be set for each identity separately, so you had better check it for all identites just to be sure.

When writing a message, you can toggle the MIME-option for the particular message. At the "Special"-tab of the Message Editor window, you can find the option "Use MIME features in this message for Internet/local mail".

It is highly recommended to turn MIME on for all messages sent. I suggest that the first option I have mentioned is turned on for all identities.

If you want to know about MIME, the Wikipedia-entry at  may be a point to start from.

Actions
Hide topic messages
Enable infinite scrolling
Previous
Next
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft