Community Discussions and Support

The perfect forum for discussions or technical questions about Pegasus Mail.

closed
Ellie Kennard posted Sep 8 '07 at 12:54 pm

[:$] Slightly embarrassed. The folder hierarchy structure that had gone .... that was because my husband's Pmail was open at the same time, and I didn't realise it and thought it was my own.

I did not restore anything, as it seemed it was only some of the options that had changed. At least I hope so. All seems to be well now that I set them back as they were.

Many thanks for the help.

Cheers!

Ellie 

closed
A01 posted Aug 25 '08 at 8:41 am

Thank you for posting that answer.

I have been looking for that answer for the past 5 days, including 3 hours tonight.

Moderators: I suggest that this answer be placed in the sticky FAQs section. 

[quote user="Thomas Nimmesgern"]

Hello!

I am not sure whether you can really do what you have in mind.

Given that I have understood your posting, you want to do the following: you moved some of your incoming e-mial messages to folder XYZ, and after moving them, you want Spamhalter to sort out the spam messages of that folder. To the best of my knowledge, this is not possible: Spamhalter checks the incoming messages in your New Mail folder, but it is not designed to check any messages placed in any other folders.

[/quote]

Almost right, I haven't moved any

messages I just want to run spamhalter over my "current" inbox, old

messages and all, instead of JUST new messages. I've had this account

for 8odd years and it's just grown to be huge, I figured 80% of it is

spam, but it's beyond the sit down and sort out stage, I have had

spamhalter running for a couple of months now and it works a treat on

"new" messages, I'm just asking if there is a way to have it process

the OLD messages. (I have it marking the email headers with SPAM, etc).

So then I can just run a mail rule that matches the spam header and

move all those messages to a spam folder, would save me a lot of time

in cleaning up all my old messages.

Hello!

As far as I know, there is no automatic way to have all addresses you can find in a folder added to the "To:"-line of a new message you want to send. However, you are able to collect the addresses of all messages of a folder - the filters mentioned above can help you do so.

Just for the record, I want to describe another way, which is rather surprising (at least, I was really surprised when reading about it because it is hidden in the depths of Windows). Here is a step-by-step description:

(1) Open the folder that contains the messages of which you want collect all addresses.

(2) Highlight all messages of that folder. For example, you could do so by highlighting one of the messages in the message list and then pressing [CTRL]+[A].

(3) Now open Notepad, the small editor that is shipped with Windows. It should be blank after being opened.

(4) Place the Notepad window near the Pegasus Mail main window. In order to do so, neither Pegasus Mail nor Notepad may be in fullscreen mode, but both must not be maximised - the windows (Notepad and the Pegasus Mail main window) should be placed adjacent to each other.

(5) Drag'n'drop the messages you have highlighted in step (2) to the Notepad window. (Since both windows are placed next to each other, you can simply drag the messages from the message list to the blank Notepad without further ado.)

(6) A confirmation window opens. Select "Sender's reply address only" (that is the main point of the whole operation) - also choose "None" for the message headers - do not choose to quote the included text.
(These instructions may sound complicated right now - but as soon as you see the confirmation window, the settings I have described are obvious.)

(7) The Notepad window now lists several addresses. They have been extracted from the messages you have selected in step (2).
These addresses are either the "Reply-to:"-addresses or the "From:"-addresses - the "Reply-to:"-address will be extracted if the respective message does have a "Reply-to:"-address defined, the "From:"-address will be extracted if the respective message does not have a "Reply-to:"-address defined.

(8) Now you have a list of the "Reply-to:"- or "From:"-addresses of all messages of a folder; this list is displayed in the Notepad window. Do not close Notepad yet. Create a distribution list in Pegasus Mail.

(9) Select all addresses in Notepad. Again, [CTRL]+[A] is the shortcut. Copy the addresses to the clipboard. [CTRL]+[C] does it.

(10) Open the distribution list you have created in step (8) and copy the addresses into it. [CTRL]+[V] is the shortcut.
Do not forget to save the new distribution list. You may also want to check whether some entries are double.

Now, you can send a message and choose that distribution list for the "To:"-line of your message.

-- -- --

The filters described in the other postings have some advantages: when set up properly, they can prevent any double entries to be added; and they can be re-used for several folders.
The idea I have suggested here is a kind of a "quick'n'dirty"-method that you can use if you do not want to set up a filter.

closed
Thomas R. Stephenson posted Sep 4 '07 at 5:06 pm

[quote user="intersys"]

Hello

I have a large number of distribution lists. Some of the lists have both names and email addresses but the majority have just the names. Is there any automated way to associate emails with the names in the distribution list? I know it gets resolved from the main address book...but it would be a great help to view both names and address within the distribution lists themselves.

Thank You 

[/quote]

Set the email address to "FName Lname" <email@address> in the addressbook and then set the address book to paste the addresses and when you select or drag the addresses from the address book you'll get the name and address.

closed
Shaharin posted Sep 8 '07 at 6:19 pm

Wait! You're suggesting that *I* should first re-create all the folders and their subfolders to be moved and then manually move each folder's emails to its twin in the other mailbox? How preposterously archaic! Neither I, nor anyone else, should be required to spend even half an hour doing so.

One should just be able to, by virtual of click-hold-drag-and-drop, tell the program what to do. Maybe even with multiple folder selection. 10-20s max for each major folder group. Then go away for a cup of coffee, or peruse the plenitude of pulchritudinous persons on the web, and then, when it's convenient, come back and the COMPUTER has done all the work for me.

While I've not tested it extensively, I know it works that way in Thunderbird, and no doubt I'll find it works in Outlook too, once I break down and desecrate my machine with it!

Sorry to be so persistent, but these days, simple dragging and dropping of folders is pretty much de rigeur as far as I, and no doubt many others, are concerned. To compound the the problem, I also have a number of Pegasus Mail users who will take considerably more umbrage than I at being unable to easily and simply move their folders, and who certainly will not have the patience to do as you propose. I fear that I might end up having to do it for them too (being the IT manager hereabouts) - thereby extending your easy hour to easily several more.

closed
Thomas R. Stephenson posted Sep 7 '07 at 12:58 am

[quote user="paul snyder"]Thanks Thomas. I assumed you meant close pegasus mail then rename the 2 files in ADMIN & not uninstall pegasus. I closed and renamed but no joy. should I delete those files and move replacement copies which I have on another partition of the original version ie where I got the admin file from in first place. This tends to make me think it might work the once but the second time I start Peg, it will not recognise them again ???[/quote]

Not sure what you are saying, the moving of the folders into the ADIM mail directory should work with out a problem is you are only moving the folders.  If you move the configuration files as well then all bets are off.   If the folders (PMM/PMI) files are in your mailbox directory and they are not read only then WinPMail should find them on startup and update the existing hierarch.pm and state.pmj.  If you also more the state.pmj and hierarch.pm as well them it probably will not work at all.  Remember, WinPMail will rebuild the state.pmj and hierarch.pm from scratch as long as there is nothing in the mailbox to tell it not to.

One more thing I forgot.  If you have been using other really old versions (PMail and v2.xx of WinPMail) of Pegasus Mail there may be copies of the *.PMT files that held the tray structure in the older versions.  If these PMT files are still in the HOME mail directory then these will be used to make the initial tray and folder build using these files that were created years ago. You must delete these PMT files.

[quote user="James Kosalos"]

Tom,

Definately a step forward.  Thanks.  The Hierarch.pm file was 14kb and now is 5 kb when all of the "name Unavailable" lines are deleted.  When pegasus was restarted with the edited hierarch.pm file in place, the majority (but not all) of the "invisible" files/messages reappeared, but they have appeared in "My Mailbox" and not in the reattached mailbox, "2007_Mail_NG," the one with 352M of messages; that mailbox still appears to be empty. 

This still might be a hierarch.pm problem but it also may be caused by two identical folders (folders with the same internal ID in the PMM file)  Is it possible that some of these might have an identical name?  You might want to use this utility on the files in the directory being added to ensure that they all are unique.

PMRestArch - Pegasus Mail Restore Mail Folder Archives:
http://www.lexacorp.com.pg

Usage:
PMRestArch SourceDir DestinationDir

Description:
Pegasus Mail cannot display two mail folders with the same internal ID even if they are in separate mailboxes. Mail folders also have to be Read-Write.

This causes problems when trying to view mail folders which have been archived by copying them to backup media.

This utility:

1.  Copies all .PMM and .PMI files in the source directory to
    the destination directory and renames them as BAKxxxxx.PMM
    and BAKxxxx.PMI.

2.  Ensures that the resulting file is Read/Write.

3.  Creates a different internal unique ID for each file.

Once you have run this program to restore archived folders to a directory you can attach that directory using the Pegasus Mail 'Add mailbox to list' option and access the archived folders in this new mailbox.

When I search in C:\pmail\mail for *.PMM and *.PMI files I find that the great majority of them are in the C:\pmail\mail\2007_Mail_NG directory that was reattached and not in C:\PMAIL\Mail\ADMIN where I presume they would be located if indeed they were supposed to appear in "My Mailbox".

Not sure what you mean here.  Attached mailboxes do not move.

I think that something is still cross threaded as Pegasus is incorrectly identifying the location of the messages.  I'm waiting for your observations before I again try detaching and reattaching the 2007_Mail_NG mailbox because this operation appears to be instrumental in the "leakage" of files and directories that Pegasus is able to "see".

You must always use the same string for re-attaching a previously attached mailbox so that the hierarch.pm and folstate.pm do not get corrupted.

I'd like to try to get at the root of the problem before I go through the work of reindexing all my messages.  It's best to avoid the problem in the future.

I suspect that you did some moving of folders outside of WinPMail, including copying of folders.  Whenever you work outside of the program copying, moving and deleting folders,  this sort of thing can happen.

Jim 

[/quote]
closed
roryk posted Sep 5 '07 at 7:02 pm

I am not aware of any way to do so.  In my experience, reply templates do not handle replies to HTML emails very well.  Just a limitation and generally one I can live with.

closed
David Harris posted Sep 3 '07 at 4:12 am

POP is only used to receive mail. To send mail, a different protocol, called SMTP, is used. When you set up Pegasus Mail, you create POP definitions to retrieve mail, and SMTP definitions to send it. For SMTP, Pegasus Mail always uses the first enabled definition in the list for the current identity. It is possible to have multiple definitions, but only the first enabled one will ever be used (this may change in future).

Cheers!

-- David --

closed
Thomas_N_ posted Sep 30 '07 at 11:40 am

Hello! [quote user="arisme"]OK, now I understand the reason why the POP3 filter does not work in the way I thought it might. However, I still cannot see how to make it work and will have to ask you to walk me through it, please.

The mailbox at the ISP has a message addressed to me with "Travel Promotions<booking@drivecomfort.com>" in the From field. The POP3 filter I created has a rule for:-

Headers, with trigger condition: F contains 'drivecomfort.com', and action 'Delete message on server'.

If I hit the Check mail button, a copy of the message is downloaded, but the original remains on the server. The same result with Send and Receive button.

So, I still have something not right. But what?

---oOo---

The rule negation suggestion sounds good, and logical, but will it not leave a growing pile of unwanted messages at the ISP?  I am sure that my ISP does not want or need a pile of garbage any more than I do.[/quote] Sorry for the late reply. I have to admit that I totally forgot about your question (shame on me!); and when reading it for the first time, I did not have a clue what to answer anyway. :-(

However, I think I can now suggest a proper solution. Concerning POP3-filtering rules, you have both to set them up and to define them in the respective POP3-definition. It seems you have not defined them in a POP3-definition. To do so, follow these steps:
(1) Choose the identity that you usually download the messages from the ISP in question with.
(2) Go to "Tools" | "Internet options". Open the "Receiving (POP3)"-tab.
(3) Select the POP3-definition that is set up for the ISP in question. Click "Edit...".
(4) The "Settings for retrieving mail (POP3)"-window is now open. Go to the "Download controls"-tab.
(5) You will find a section titled "Server-side mail filtering (uses POP3 filtering rule sets)". Click "Select", then select the appropriate POP3-filtering rule set.
(6) If the respective POP3-filtering rule set is set to check some lines of the message body, you should enter a value greater 0 for "Lines to retrieve from [...]". If your POP3-filterng rules only check for the headers, you can simply enter "0" there.
(7) Do not forget to click "OK".

Following your description, it seems you have forgot to apply step (5). Does that help?

----

Concerning your second question (garbage saved at the ISP's end), there are several ways to handle that: you simply download all messages, so there are no older messages remaining on the server; you create some other POP3-filterng rules defining which messages to delete on server and which to download; you define a standard action what to do with those messages that have not been handled by any POP3-filtering rules (see the POP3-definition and its Download controls); provided that some messages remain on the server, you could check the server sometimes (perhaps every two weeks) to see what messages can manually be deleted on the server.

If you have any question about that, just ask...I will probably answer sooner than this time. :-)

closed
bonjouratous posted Oct 12 '11 at 6:35 pm

The hint that Phil gives is correct, but after the message were downloaded, one must first disconnect the mailbox before one can switch it to offline mode by clicking the "Offline mode" button.

The "problem" is when an account has several mailboxes. One must disconnect them one after each other and then switch them to offline mode. And vice versa when re-connecting. This is time consuming. So...

1. Is there a way to switch all mailboxes from an account to connected/offline simultaneously ?

2. Is there a way to make that clicking the "Offline mode" button disconnect automatically a mailbox and switch it to "offline" without having to first disconnect manually ?

No problem if this does require some programming.

I'm using version 4.52 because it's more lightweight than upper versions and I think it's web renderer is independant from MSIE.

closed
Anne-Kzn posted Sep 3 '07 at 11:39 am

Thank you so much! The default printer was the one connected to my main computer, it didn't even occur to me to check this. It will do in future, though - I was reduced to loading Outlook...

Anne

closed
Slab posted Sep 26 '07 at 4:45 pm

There is no reason I can think of why it shouldn't work as long as it is installed to the cluster and the email comes in on the virtual IP.

closed
GeoApps posted Aug 31 '07 at 5:34 pm

[quote user="arisme"]I have not yet managed to find a convenient way of moving old files to long tem storage folders in Pegasus Mail v4.41.[/quote]

I have a filter that I apply on closing the new-mail folder -- move anything over 30 days old to a different folder called "New Mail Over 30 Days Old".  Anything that old doesn't belong in "New Mail" any more, and this keeps the NM folder below the magic threshold of 500 (?) messages, beyond which it quits polling for new mail.

closed
Han vd Bogaerde posted Aug 30 '07 at 11:59 pm

[quote user="Df2"]

I read that pegasus mail can now support hebrew but have not been able to find how to configure it for that.  Any info would be welcome

TIA 

[/quote]

Long long time ago I made a glossary on this, don't know (and cannot test it) if it's content is still valid, but perhaps as a starter:

To read Hebrew messages try the following:

Alter the commandline you use to start Pegasus Mail for Windows and add -Z 262144 to it or, when there is already a -Z value, simply add the value 262144 to it (so e.g. -Z 284 becomes -Z 262428 - please note the space after the Z)

From help Commandline options:

262144 Force all message text to flow right-to-left. This is an experimental option intended for use in environments such as Hebrew Windows, where both Western and Hebrew fonts are present on the system.

To make the Hebrew come out correctly you need to click Right Alt-Shift to change the language displayed to Hebrew and the language direction to RTL (Right to Left). This has to be done while still in the new mail folder, BEFORE double-clicking to display the entire essage.
Then, to return to LTR display, it is necessary to close the message and click
Left Alt-Shift, and then you can open other messages in English, as LTR.

Actions
Hide topic messages
Enable infinite scrolling
Previous
Next
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft