Community Discussions and Support

The perfect forum for discussions or technical questions about Pegasus Mail.

closed
Thomas R. Stephenson posted Jul 30 '07 at 6:40 pm

[quote user="James Plummer"]

I have been a user of Pegasus for  over 10 years.  Recently I have had this problem, that Pegasus just  crashes . Sometimes I am writing an email, and am in the program for some time and  VROOM  everything crashes and all the information is gone, and Pegasus crashes. I  now have to first write  my email in MSWord, and then copy and paste into Pegasus in case it crashes again. I  saw some reference regarding antivirus that may be causing it. I wrote to Pegasus sometime back, but my email was ignored.

Where did you write?  I can't think of any mail that is ever ignored.

Is there any method to fix this inconvenience. Changing from Pegause to another email would set me back years, so i am forced to stick with Pegasus, can anyone help me to solve this problem.

James

[/quote]

Strange, what version of WinPMail are you using?   In any case, what kind of crash are you getting?  Are there error messages saying the program has crashed (usually 3 of these) or does the program simply go away.  If you get the crash messages you then need to look at what is happening to Pegasus Mail; if the program simply goes away then you need to look at the system level to find the program/function  that crashed that caused the OS to shutdown WinPMail.  You mentioned the anti-virus program.  Which one are you using, some are worse than others.  Are you using an anti-virus proxy between WinPMail and the server?  Is the anti-virus program scanning the WinPMail directories?  Either of these could cause a crash if the anti-virus program grabs a file away from WinPMail for any reason.

closed
apeman posted Aug 20 '07 at 2:06 am

Thanks Irelam. Finally got it sorted. Vista seems determined to make things twice as complex as they ought to be. Anyway, Virscan safely ensconced and working well. Thanks again.

closed
rocket posted Nov 5 '13 at 11:06 am

[quote user="bfluet"]

I am curious whether the delay is there when doing a delete without the message going to the Deleted messages folder (hold the Ctrl key down when clicking Yes in response to the delete confirmation prompt).

[/quote]

This could be it.

Deleting messages also started going slow for me in the last few days.

After reading your post, I went to my Deleted Messages folder and deleted the first message which it did straight away. The second deletion took a bit longer. I then tagged all 1800 odd messages and Pegasus basically froze, although after killing Pegasus, when I fired it back up, there was only 150 odd messages left to delete, so it was just super busy deleting messages.

So after I fired Pegasus back up, I selected about 15 messages in my Deleted Messages folder at a time and deleted them, which it did slowly. After doing that a couple of times I chose the option to Recover Deleted Space on the Deleted Messages folder. This did the trick. All messages I deleted after that, deleted instantly.

So I'm thinking the first problem was the excessive number of messages in the Deleted Messages folder, and the second issue was a fragmented or maybe corrupted Deleted Messages file.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

closed
oonumberoo posted Jul 27 '07 at 2:02 pm

I assume that you are correct, and as the folder was created as part of a corruption shutdown, I will delete it.

In passing, I would note that finding anything via the index is often very difficult. One would expect an entry under link, but none exists. I originally searched for icon, without success, and so on.

Is there anyway of logging suggested index entries and shortcomings?

Thank you for your help. 

closed
MikePreston posted Jul 26 '07 at 8:29 am

Good thing I've already come up with an acceptable, even if not perfect, workaround: generate a "dry run" which processes 100% of the records in the file.  The only thing that will be incorrect is the precise time.  But being off by a few minutes (or maybe just 1 or 2 minutes in some cases) shouldn't cause too much concern.

Thanks for the quick response.

closed
Casteele posted Dec 23 '07 at 11:36 am

[quote user="dleigh"]

Would simply like to suggest that changing "text" URLs into hyper-links be added as an option. ...

[/quote]

This is already an option. The only thing is that it only converts what looks like URLs into hyperlinks only in plain text messages. In HTML messages, PMail is assuming if the writer wanted a clickable link, they'd have made it an <a ..> link to begin with. Maybe I'm already used to that, since my general-purpose editor does pretty much the same thing. It will hyperlink anything that looks like a URL--BUT IF AND ONLY IF the document is not already an HTML document. If it is an HTML document, it won't do any conversions, since most often, those conversions mess up the way the writer originally designed the HTML. Personally, I agree that trying to "second guess" HTML documents is more headache than it's worth; Not only does it increase the load on the CPU and slow down rendering the message, I've found it often makes HMTL line up all messed up and half the time unreadable until I read it as plain text!

Regards,

C. M. 

closed
David Harris posted Jul 26 '07 at 8:19 am

Current versions have limited import/export capabilities via the now ancient "PMIMPORT" DOS utility still provided with the program. V5 will support import/export in a variety of formats, including CSV, TSV and Vcard.

Cheers!

-- David --

closed
oonumberoo posted Jul 26 '07 at 11:50 am

It worked. Many thanks. (But I am positive that I did not change anything).

closed
bellevue posted Jul 25 '07 at 3:39 am

Hi

this is the contents of the email:

This is a quick e-mail to let you know that your page for Bellevue Bed & Breakfast at was just viewed by a potential guest.

So far 4420 people have viewed your listing.

Please make sure your details are up to date. Log-in here: www.bandbfsa.com.au/login.asp?UserEMail=bellevuebnb@gmail.com . You can also use our Special Packages feature. 

closed
irelam posted Aug 1 '07 at 5:45 am

We are missing something here. Why would Unity email your .wav files without a file extension. This is highly improbable, as the receiving mail agent would have no way of telling what kind of file it was dealing with.  As in the previous posting, the Mime headers at the beginning of the encoded .wav file section of the message are critical to any useful discussion.

Martin 

[quote user="Hilbrand"]I may misunderstand something, but how can I get a message with an attachment to you?[/quote]

Send it outside of the community using your email client and the email address I sent you.  Peter does not want us putting email addresses, even the ones that are already used by spammers, in our communications here.

David,

This same issue happened to me after I installed Adobe Photoshop CS3.  Uninstalling it removes the problem.  So do you have any ideas on what Adobe Products could be altering that causes the block on GoDaddy.  I have Comcast email accounts as well and Pegasus has no problem connecting and sending through them.

Thanks,

Davis

I'm afraid I can't really envision the problem you're describing. If you have MIME support turned on and the "Send as separate messages" option turned off, then the attachments *always* go as part of the message.

Are you sure there isn't something between you and the recipient interfering with the message in some way? It almost sounds as though the message is being rewritten or otherwise tampered-with in transit.

Cheers!

-- David --

closed
ksherb posted Sep 11 '07 at 9:35 pm

Had the same problem - this worked for me ... With Pegasus closed, remove the files state.pmj, cache.pm, desktop.pm0, folstate.pm, hierarch.pm, mailboxp.lck from the PMAIL/MAIL folder (I put them on my desktop just incase I needed/wanted to put them back). (Pegaus will recreate these files when you startup Pegagus.) Start Pegaus and Voila!! The menu buttons/text are restored. I don't think all of these files are the problem, probably just one of them, but I didn't want to take anymore time to figure it out. Hope this helps.

closed
David Harris posted Jul 23 '07 at 2:52 pm

I'd have to see an example before I could comment further, sorry. If you have one of these, please locate the .CNM file in your mailbox directory (you can find out the filename by highlighting the message in your new mail folder and pressing <F12> to view its properties), put it in a ZIP file, then send me the ZIP file (it's very important that you do things this way).

Cheers!

-- David --

[quote user="Hilbrand"]Thanks for this great discussion! As I understand it, the solution we've used until now may still be the best there is. I may even continue working with stand-alone Pegasus versions on our individual machines, even in a well networked office. The thing is, and it seems difficult to imagine, I do a lot of work in airplanes (still no internet access at all) and in low-income countries (uncertain internet access). I just need to have my full Pegasus mail database on my machine, just as Thomas' colleague, as we cannot be dependent on uncertain internet connections. Thanks anyway!
[/quote]

I've setup Mercury/32, Apache,  PHP and SquirrelMail on my home system (DSL, my own domain with fixed IP address) and find this works quite well from most everywhere.  When in the back country in Tanzania, Mexico, Peru, etc. I did not try to open my folder with ~20K messages but in many cases I've found internet cafes in the strangest places with relatively good connections to the internet.  That said, I do copy Pegasus Mail and all my current folders to the laptops local hard drive before going on the road and setup a transfer folder for everything that I want to put on the main system with I get back.  This is a one way transfer of folders always.  I find, at least in my case, there can be too many problems with lost mail when you transfer the whole thing back and forth.

Actions
Hide topic messages
Enable infinite scrolling
Previous
Next
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft