Community Discussions and Support

The perfect forum for discussions or technical questions about Pegasus Mail.

[quote user="DonPedro"]

NOW I am completely off the hook!

could someone with in-depth knowledge jump in please for an explanation what is going on?

how

could ellie experience multiple running copies of pm without the -ms

switch and what is in effect the meaning of the -A swich since ellie

solved her problem (multiple instances of pm running) by removing it?

[/quote]

Well, why or how removing the -A switch could have solved Ellie's problem, is a puzzle for me as well. In NON-NOVELL-NETWARE mode the -A switch is ignored anyway. So it might have something to do with other options (or illegal characters) on the commandline. Deliberating on that would end up guessing... so I withhold.

Running multiple copies of Pegasus Mail is something that shouldn't be considered unless you know exactly what you do and NEVER run 2 instances on the same mailbox. Pegasus Mail is not designed for that. There are multiple ways to run more instances at the same time, either by setting an environment variable, using the Pegasus.ini file or (since version 4.x) using the -MS commandline option.

closed
Han vd Bogaerde posted Jul 1 '07 at 8:36 pm

[quote user="Gene"]

I am using PM 4.41.  I am on vacation and trying send mail using cox.net.  I csn recieve mail great but can't send any.  The error I get to that has something to do with smtp settings.  I need to reply to mail using Pegasus.  Is there anyone out there who can help? Thanks

[/quote]

It's common practice nowedays that you can only send using the server from the location where you actually are logged into. Many ISP's do not allow using their mail server for sending. It might be that cox.net can be used, using any authentication method.

closed
pbeddy posted Jul 2 '07 at 9:45 am

Is it possible that the message  (.CNM file) is being deleted by some other action in the background. I have seen where Pegasus has displayed a message in the list of newmail, but in the background (sometimes on the server) a process such as an antivirus program has detected some malware in that message and deleted or quarrentined it. Pegasus still displays that message in the list and attempts to delete it from the list fail.

But, it you close NewMail and re-open, the message is gone. 

The other cause of messages that really are there, not being deleted is that somehow thet have been marked as read-only. When the message is highlighted, press F12 and check that the read-only field is not set. Remove the setting if necessary and continue...

closed
Thomas R. Stephenson posted Jul 6 '07 at 2:45 am

[quote user="djmeydey"]

Hi
This could be the problem. But what drivers can I take, but those from HP themself?
I have these printers: HP deskjet 1280 and HP PSC 1210
I really don't know if there are other drivers available.
[/quote]

You can get drivers for these printers directly from HP.  To test is you are really having a printer problem though create a new printer set to print to a file and then use that as the default printer driver.  If things speed up then this is a printer driver problem.

closed
Thomas R. Stephenson posted Jun 27 '07 at 10:37 pm

Run pconfig.exe from the program directory and reset the HOME and NEW mail directory spec.  The path for the new mail directory should point at the locatin of the pmail.ini file; the home mail directory should pint at the PMM files.  They are probably the same.  With an old version it should look something like c:\pmail\mail and with a new version it should be c:\pmail\mail\admin or c:\pmail\mail\~8  Also since these were recovered from a CDROM make sure they are not marked as read-only.

closed
Medievalist posted Jul 6 '07 at 12:05 am

Thank you, David, that's very kind of you.  I hope you do get the opportunity to do some documentation of the configuration files (maybe you could delegate this to somebody you trust with the source code?) but I know you have more important projects already in progress.

I solved my immediate problem with a little gawk code that changed all the zeros to ones in the 8th byte (ignoring any non-zero values) for all my users and sites, and visiting the people with oddball values personally and showing them where to set the auto-timezone in their GUI.  We're all copacetic now.

When I make a default PMAIL.INI template for my users, I start with a fresh empty H:/PMAIL folder and run the current version of Pegasus, and answer the opening questions with a set of known unambiguous values.  Then I replace the occurrences of those values within the newly created configuration files with numbered tags (like this: %1, %2, %3.1, etc.) to create the template files.

When a new user is created, the template files are processed to place the appropriate information in the appropriate places (this is just one of many processes that are necessary to create a new user; we have to provision the phone system, establish 802.1x access policies, etc. etc. etc. ad nauseum) using a little script like so:

prepmail.sh homeserver HJSimpson "Homer J. Simpson"

The prepmail script will substitute homeserver for %1, and  HJsimpson for %2, and "Homer" for %3.1, and so forth.

I use a single SMTP definition and a single TOOLBAR.PM on each site's homeserver and use symbolic links for each user; that way I can change them in one place and have everyone changed at once.

A new user's password is flagged as pre-expired on the POSIX side, and when that person logs in the first time, they are redirected to a web page (which they can't escape without rebooting) which makes them set a strong password.  That password is encrypted and written into the users' IMAP.PM file (it's also entered into LDAP, and some other places, with the appropriate encryption for each place).

It's conceptually elaborate, but there's really very little code that is very easy to maintain, and it saves many man-hours every year as well as making account provisioning painless for users and system administrators.

I have a similar process that lets our sysadmins painlessly change a users' name (usually due to marriage or divorce) and preserves all their files and email intact.

We are neither big enough nor small enough to have people do everything manually.
closed
Medievalist posted Jun 27 '07 at 9:26 pm

If your email hub is sendmail and/or MailScanner (rather than Mercury) you can also make archive copies there fairly easily.

Incidentally, archiving on the email hub integrates better with backup and disaster recovery plans (especially if you are USA federally regulated by SOX, FDA, or HIPAA) than depending on individuals to maintain personal stores.  Once you are doing strong archival, if someone really needs to recover an old message they can request it be drawn from the archive copy by the email hub administrator.

Personally, I very much appreciate that Pegasus doesn't put the attachments in copies to self.  File version management simply should not be performed with an email engine, to be frank - it'd be "good enough" solution that would drive out existing optimal solutions.  Thanks, David!

closed
sam posted Jun 27 '07 at 3:35 am

We have been trying it out and that's why I'm asking these questions. Thanks for your help. We'll look elsewhere.

sam

closed
nodyarg posted Jul 14 '07 at 4:25 pm

Well, I think the state.pmj did the trick. I tried the hiearch and the ini to no avail but seem to have had success with the state.pmj and I couldn't find any .lck files to delete. I am still having problems in that Pmail will not play a sound when new mail arrives I have the radio box checked in the prefs and am using this command line E:\Pmail\Programs\winpm-32.exe  -Z 512 -A. Also, I am not able to use the send link by email in IE. Pmail is set for the default mailer.

Thanks for your help getting the main problem fixed.

closed
Thomas R. Stephenson posted Jun 24 '07 at 6:04 pm

I suspect that there is a problem with deleting the deleted messages folder on closing.  Try deleting it manually once before closing and see what happens. 

closed
Strat posted Jun 27 '07 at 12:32 pm

I searched for the WI_sph.ini file and had 4 of them. Each one for a different mail box. 3 of them were set to 0 and the 4th one to 1. That 4th one was not the mail box in question but, after setting it to 0 the problem seems to have corrected itself in the mail box that was having the problem. Thank you for all your help.

Strat

closed
Medievalist posted Jun 28 '07 at 12:25 am

Apologies if this is too far off-topic, but I've been running Pegasus Mail in "standalone mode" for hundreds of users for many years.  Works great!

I just set the location of PMAIL.INI and friends to a mapped network drive, that is individually mapped at network login time to each person's private "home" folder.

So, winpm-32.exe lives in P:/CURRENT/PMAIL, along with the various .fff files and similar customizations we have in place, and PMAIL.CFG (in the same share) tells Pegasus to find its other files in H:/PMAIL.

When I upgrade pegasus, I install the new version on the P: network share and test it for a while, figuring out the new capabilities and making sure there aren't any bugs that would impact my users, and once that's done I just move the new version to /CURRENT.

There are some additional bells and whistles - for instance, the /CURRENT directory is actually a symbolic link on the host side, so I can switch versions on the fly rather easily, and we dynamically generate registry hacks, policies, and login scripts from a perl script that runs on the server at network login time - but I think I hit the high points.

Since the location of a mail directory is a mapped drive, it's easily moved about, as long as the mapping resolves to the new location.  We're completely IMAPped now, too, so the individual PMAIL directories only hold personal settings and cache info.

Oh, and don't do this technique on a dial-up link if you are using POP or any other mail storage method that will require Pegasus to open bazillions of files on the H: share.  It will become so slow as to be unuseable with relatively few messages - this isn't really Pmail's fault, it's because SMB is a grossly inefficient protocol and Pegasus was orginally developed on the relatively snappy IPX stack.  You're still OK with IMAP though, even on a slow link.

OK, solved it. This will (hopefully!) be my final post on the matter! Turns out I didn't have enough disk space...the spam folder was about 700MB and I had about 500MB. Freeing up a few gigs allowed the compression to complete successfully (I guess a new PMM file needs to be created before the older one is deleted, perhaps?)

Anyway, hope this is useful to someone. David, I don't know how feasible it is to catch the reason for compression failure but if it would be possible to display something about a lack of disk space that would be helpful (assuming that was indeed the problem).

Cheers! 

closed
BobKellock posted Jun 27 '07 at 1:13 am

There is a work-around for this.

Move all the messages in your Unix folder to an empty normal folder - that will only move messages that have not been "deleted"
Delete the Unix folder and create a new one with the same name as previously.
Move the messages back from the normal folder to the (new) Unix folder.

Bob

closed
mads posted Jul 15 '07 at 1:08 pm

hi

what printer are you using? this happened for us as well, when i upgraded from 4.31 to 4.41.  it has nothing to do with novell or windows server 2003. 4.31 was printing correctly, 4.41 was not - but only with brother hl 1450 printers. hp 1320 were working fine and printing from the chosen tray! we have defined a 2nd printer with the correct setting ie print from 2nd tray only as default - no success.

mario

closed
Sandal posted Jul 22 '07 at 7:09 pm

I think my post was a little bit too short: I do not use the brackets in the mail address, it is part of the name (alias) in the address book. So, if my entry is "name (Hotmail)" and "mail@hotmail.com" in the address book and I send him a mail, I get "To: Hotmail" in the From column of the sent folder. But if I open the sent mail I see a correct To line in the header "To: name (Hotmail)". All I need is to have the same display in the folder view.

One more funny thing is happening if I send mail to multiple addresses and the last one has the brackets. Again I just see what is inside the brackets, any other mail address is not displayed!

Other mail programs create a formatting like: "name (Hotmail)" <mail@hotmail.com> Maybe the quotation marks help here.

(BTW, it would be nice to see the real mail address beside the name from the address book in the sent mails To line.)

Greetings,

Stephan

closed
irelam posted Jun 22 '07 at 12:26 am

Please send me a complete message including all headers etc in a zip file. The symptom you report normally only occurs when the html renderer Bearhtml cannot display the formatted message, so it falls back and tries to show you the source html.  The alternative reason is that the message headers are incorrect or not conforming to specifications.

Please mail your sample zip file to irelam@telus.net 

Martin 

Actions
Hide topic messages
Enable infinite scrolling
Previous
Next
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft