Community Discussions and Support

The perfect forum for discussions or technical questions about Pegasus Mail.

closed
ecz posted Jun 26 '07 at 3:38 pm

oh no, the downloads on my website are only some games, my son has coded :-)

but if there is interest in the utility i could make it downloadable as freeware. it "only" needs some work before: a small manual and a translation into english.

closed
Mike posted Jun 14 '07 at 9:37 pm

[quote user="Goody"]So far, I have found only one client that does all this and much more.  The only thing is HTML seems to get it problems.  HTML must be a difficult thing to process in email clients.[/quote]

It's difficult in and of itself. One of the problems is that HTML parsers, unlike XML parsers, are designed to be "forgiving". XML parsers are supposed to stop parsing when encountering syntax errors:

[quote]Second, XML has draconian error-handling rules. In contrast to the leniency of HTML parsers, XML parsers are required to fail catastrophically if they encounter even the simplest syntax error in an XML document.[/quote]

http://webkit.org/blog/68/understanding-html-xml-and-xhtml/

I guess the web would not have grown as phenomenally fast as it has if the people who coded web browsers hadn't tried to be lenient in their parsing, working around errors and trying to second-guess what someone had "meant" when he made an error in his page. It's meant anyone and everyone can put up something written by hand in a slapdash suck-it-and see way in Notepad or in poor WYSIWYG tools that write dodgy HTML. And there's a kind of vicious circle here.

But the result is that HTML parsing is a bit of a mess. How should a browser handle some error that someone should not have made in the first place? It's anyone's guess, and the error-handling of every browser is different. Should you give someone what he's (literally) asked for when that makes no sense, or guess that he's got a conceptual misunderstanding here that's not uncommon, and that Internet Explorer has made allowances for, so that you'd better do the same? It makes browsers even more complex than they need to be and even larger. Have you seen the size of Firefox these days? And don't even ask about Internet Explorer.

There's also the matter of proprietary extensions to the HTML standards--though that's perhaps less of a problem than it was. However, it's certainly a problem in email. If you check the box to use Word as the editor in Outlook you end up sending very bad HTML full of gibberish that is not part of any official HTML standard known to the W3C. 

[quote]The Bat does a terriable job with HTML[/quote]

I didn't know that. But you can't blame it. It's not easy to do. Outlook Express uses Internet Explorer to do HTML parsing, and that's a full-blown browser, so naturally that's going to do a more polished job. However, the down side is that that's probably not a very safe thing to do--all that complexity and functionality brings security problems with it. (However, OE does, these days, at least use the "restricted" Internet Zone in IE by default; it used to run scripts and all sorts of nonsense, which is why malware used to go through it like a dose of salts.)

In Office 2007, Microsoft has, apparently, switched to using Office's HTML viewer (the one used for Word) instead of IE for Outlook. I don't know why they made the change, but it will make Outlook less capable at displaying HTML.

closed
worldcompany posted Jun 15 '07 at 1:13 am

I think my virus checker checks all incoming emails, regardless of the folder.  Also, I remember that if there's any virus, my virus program will have a "popup" that asks me what I'd like to do with it (delete, quarantine, move)... but in this case I don't recall any popup that tells about detecting a virus before the file disappeared.

closed
Nighthawk posted Jun 14 '07 at 9:17 am

would be alot easier if it could be done directly from the address book some how... sigh  [8-)]

closed
rickofms posted Jun 16 '07 at 4:21 am

Here is another thing that conistently causes Pegasus to shut down for me - whenever try to print an attachment. Printing the message is no problem, but when I am looking at an attachment and try to print, Pegasus exits and shuts down. Just got a  new computer, and it still does it. Any help out there for this? pmail 4.41 / WinXP.

> he configurado el correo saliente y ahora logré la autenticación correcta para el envío pero pegasus me devuelve este error
> 550 5.7.1  Client does not have permissions to send as this sender
>  
> ¿cómo lo puedo solucionar?
> Gracias, desde ya
>
> I've configured the outgoing email and now I got the correct authentication for sending but I get this error pegasus
>
> 550 5.7.1 Client not does have permissions to send as this sender
>
> How I can fix it?
>
> Thank you, from now

Looks like you do not have the proper authentication for this sender

David Harris has implemented ESMTP AUTH CRAM-MD5 for WinPMail.  It does a SMTP authentication in accordance with RFCs 2554 and 2195.  It will also do the LOGIN and the strange MS AUTH=LOGIN.

Go to Tools | Internet  options | (Sending) SMTP, edit the SMTP configuration, select the "Security" tab and then select the SMTP Authorization option as specified by your ISP.  Most require the the second or third SMTP Authorization option

There are some ISPs that advertise CRAM-MD5 but do not support it.  In this case you should try using v4.5 or later.  It has an option to fall back to the less secure options.

Do not use CRAM-MD5 authentication even if it is advertised  

The process of logging into the SMTP server to authenticate your identity can take a variety of forms: the server "advertises" the forms it understands, and Pegasus Mail looks through that list, choosing the most secure form it recognizes. Some forms are very "weak", in that they either transmit your credentials as clear text or in a form that can be easily broken, while other forms are "strong", in the sense that it is very difficult to work out your credentials simply by observing the exchange of data between the two programs. Unfortunately, one of the strongest forms of authentication, called CRAM-MD5, is commonly misconfigured on SMTP servers, even at quite reputable ISPs - the server will advertise that it supports it, but will actually fail any attempt to use it. Getting the ISP to realize that they are at fault is a lost cause in most cases - it's almost always easier simply to check this control, which tells Pegasus Mail never to use CRAM-MD5 for this server. You should be aware that you reduce the security of your connection by checking this control: CRAM-MD5 is the only commonly-used authentication form that offers reasonable security, and by disabling it, you force Pegasus Mail to use less secure methods... But sometimes you may decide that being able to send mail is more important than being able to do it securely. The choice is yours.
Parece que no tienen la debida autenticación de este remitente

David Harris ha puesto en marcha ESMTP AUTH CRAM-MD5 para WinPMail. Lo hace de una autenticación SMTP, de acuerdo con RFC 2554 y 2195. También se hará el LOGIN y el extraño MS AUTH LOGIN =.

Ir a Herramientas | Opciones de Internet | (envío) SMTP, modificar la configuración de SMTP, seleccione la pestaña "Seguridad" y luego seleccione la opción Autorización SMTP tal como se especifica por su ISP. La mayoría requiere el la segunda o tercera opción SMTP autorización

Hay algunos proveedores de Internet que anuncian CRAM-MD5, pero no lo apoyo. En este caso deberías intentar usar v4.5 o posterior. Tiene la opción de recurrir a las opciones menos seguras.

No utilizar la autenticación CRAM-MD5, incluso si se anuncia

El proceso de registro en el servidor de SMTP para autenticar su identidad puede adoptar diversas formas: el servidor "anuncia" las formas que entiende, y Pegasus Mail mira a través de esa lista, la elección de la forma más segura que reconoce. Algunas formas son muy "débiles", en que, o bien transmitir sus credenciales como texto o en una forma que puede romperse con facilidad, mientras que otras formas son "fuertes", en el sentido de que es muy difícil de resolver sus credenciales simplemente al observar el intercambio de datos entre los dos programas. Desafortunadamente, una de las formas más fuertes de autenticación, llamado CRAM-MD5, es incorrectas más comunes en los servidores de SMTP, incluso a los ISPs muy buena reputación - el servidor publicidad que da soporte, pero en realidad se producirá un error cualquier intento de uso. Obtener el ISP para darse cuenta de que tienen la culpa es una causa perdida en la mayoría de los casos - es casi siempre más fácil simplemente para comprobar este control, que dice Pegasus Mail no utilizar nunca CRAM-MD5 para este servidor. Usted debe ser consciente de que reducir la seguridad de su conexión marcando este control: CRAM-MD5 es la forma de autenticación sólo de uso común que ofrece una seguridad razonable, y mediante la desactivación de ella, la fuerza de Pegasus Mail para utilizar métodos menos seguros ... Pero a veces usted puede decidir que ser capaz de enviar correo es más importante que ser capaz de hacerlo con seguridad. La elección es suya.

closed
David Harris posted Jul 17 '07 at 7:52 am

[quote user="earl7399"]So - there is no way for a user to modify this (i.e. extend the number of characters in the subject column in a folder)?
[/quote]

Not in the current versions, no. It's definitely on the to-do list though. Unfortunately, it's an extremely major change - it requires a considerable amount of work: I can't just change a couple of lines of code to make this happen (mostly because there are millions of folders around the world that will be affected).

Cheers!

-- David --

The "Preserve HTML in replies" option only has any meaning for messages in multipart/alternative format - that is, the format where the message contains both a plain text and an HTML version of the same message.

If someone sends you a pure HTML message (i.e, one where the only part is an HTML part), then there is no text version for me to fall back on, so I have to use what's there. I tried tag-stripping the HTML at one stage, to produce a "plain text" version, but it doesn't work - there's just too much going on in an HTML message to be able to do that (the results were unusable at least half the time).

It's just one of those things, unfortunately. If the only content I have available to me is HTML, then I'm more or less forced to take it formatting and all.

Cheers!

-- David --

closed
Valter Mura posted Jun 18 '07 at 12:26 pm

AFAIK (I used some years ago a plugin for OpenOffice.org), you need to have both programs opened and then, if you wish to send the message immediately, to enable the "send the message immediately" option. The behaviour was that, if I closed the Office program, Pegasus Mail didn't send the file for me.

But if you need to review the message, you need to use the Queue Manager, and send it manually (I do it so) or automatically ("send every....", in Tools/Internet Options)

Hope this useful...

closed
Zagra posted Jun 13 '07 at 2:44 pm

Thomas, 

Thanks for the info. That cleared the 'User Name' problem but left a Winpm-32.exe error and PM would not start. This was solved by removing all PM files, doing new install and copying the contents of the old ADMIN folder en bloc to the new ADMIN folder. All the messages, folders and Internet details appeared. There was a small problem: some of the folders were duplicated with messages from December last year!! A bit of judicious pruning and copying cured that.

Thanks again for your help

Alan 

closed
Mike posted Jun 11 '07 at 7:15 pm

This is about mailboxes, Kieran?

If so, Thunderbird did, and still does, used the mbox format; so nothing has changed there.

Frankly, since Pegasus can handle mbox, as well as its own native format, I'd don't know I'd even bother to convert.  I think I'd make a copy of the folder/s I wanted to move--you'll find it/them in:

C:/Kieran/Application Data/Thunderbird/Profiles/<Some random number>/Mail/Local Folders

After that, I'd make a new mailfolder inside Pegasus's GUI and choose "Unix" format.  Pegasus will then give that file a name consisting of a (random?) number and the file extension .MBX.  If you rename your mbox file to the same name and drop it into the same place in the hierarchy, on the C: drive where the mailfolder resides, it will then over-write it, and next time you open the program you'd see the mails there.  From there you could use drag-and-drop within the program's GUI to move the mails.

But go with the converter, if you find it easier.  I haven't used Dawn, but it seems to be what most people use.  The Thunderbird format hasn't changed, so there's no problem there.

closed
modicr posted Jul 4 '07 at 1:28 pm

Hello!

[quote user="Aidan C A Hopkins"]I am currently in the process of encouraging my employer to adopt Pegasus Mail. He seems very impressed so far! I am currently looking for any comparative reviews of Pegasus, Eudora, Squirrelmail and Roundcube (the main competing products) and my researches to date have mostly brought up rather old information. If anybody has URIs of recent independent articles/reviews they would be much appreciated and would help the cause! TIA[/quote]

How is Pegasus Mail adoption going on ?
BTW, I like the following two sentences about Pegasus Mail 4.41 in Softpedia's comparative review (2006-AUG-05):

The finish line of today's race is called Pegasus Mail, one of those programs that, from time to time, happen to leave me speechless.

What I should say is "This is Pegasus Mail, take it, install it and let it fly, I don't have anything else to add about it!", but I'll try to make you understand why I would do such a thing.

Lovely description, is it not? 

Regards, Roman

closed
David Harris posted Jun 12 '07 at 5:41 am

Unfortunately, no, not without actually altering the program's Windows-level resources. This is one of those things that would be routinely translated as part of the process of producing a version of the program for a new language, but it currently can't be translated in isolation.

It's a perfectly fair suggestion though, and I'll try to note it as something to do in future.

Cheers!

-- David --

This sounds too easy.

Simply create another user account.

On my pegasus mail system I have several user accounts

Each has a different file structure, but the PUBLIC folders remain

the same.

I would create a user name by year, for instance

If that gets too cumbersome you could install 2 copies of pegasus into different

directories and have each copy access different PUBLIC files.

This should get around the problem of two user files within the smae 

ddirectory pulling up ALL the public folders.

[quote user="Thomas R. Stephenson"]Someone must have at least told you the name of the server software when they were proposing the change.  Is this a Windows server? [/quote]

Actually I only spoke to a member of staff there who told me that they are having this whole new system (leased) set up by a consultant. I do not know the type of server at all. I will probably just wait and see what happens, as it is really nothing to do with me (except that I set the Pmail arrangement up for them and I would hate it all to be broken). They do keep backups of everything, so if all else fails they can restore their settings in some way.

I briefly spoke to the consultant who said that he knew Pegasus Mail. He ran it from the early 90's, though probably not much recently as he knew nothing of David's recent shift in gears. He agreed that it all sounds most promising, though. We didn't do much chatting other than that. He did say the server was on back order and that he would most probably set it all up the way it is now, until the server arrives.

Thanks Thomas,

Ellie 

closed
Han vd Bogaerde posted Jun 9 '07 at 9:28 pm

[quote user="Nikosandros"]

Hi,

I've just deleted a folder by accident.  Is there any way to undo the mistake?

[/quote]

Not from within the program. Pegasus Mail doesn't use any trash system. Perhaps you can use a 3rd party undelete utillity. There are some available from download sites like tucows, download.com and such.

Actions
Hide topic messages
Enable infinite scrolling
Previous
Next
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft