Community Discussions and Support

The perfect forum for discussions or technical questions about Pegasus Mail.

V-com, made by Avanquest.  Current versions include Fix-it Utilities and System Suite (versions 7 are most recent).   I have used this for over 6 years, even though I did try AVG, Nortons, CA, PCillin, MacAffee, to name a few.  In my opion, Fix-it contains the absolute best AV program (other than not being able to use the auto-email scan with Pegasus.  The updates are prompt, fast/easy to install,  and have in the past detected virus that Norton and others did not. The other utilities included in Fix-it are also superb and have saved me many times from giving up on my o/s, formatting, and reinstalling.

closed
Thomas R. Stephenson posted Sep 5 '07 at 9:15 pm

[quote user="bbroeckert"]

I have 7 Novell Netware 6.5 file servers that are running Pegasus 4.21c, and I have a problem with one site when sending file attachments.  A user uses a distribution list to send announcements to roughly 100 users.  Today for example, the user sent 2 very small attachments, one Word and one Excel file.  Almost all users had no problem opening either file, however I had one user that could open the Excel file but got the following error message when attempting to open the Word document.  The document name or path is not valid.  Try these suggestions.  * Check the file permissions for the document or drive.  * use the File Open dialog box to locate the document.  (C:\Document~\Bev\...\Temp\WPM$2B27.doc.

The puzzling thing is if the secretary resends the file, the user can open it without any problem.  Another part of the puzzle is, it's not always the same user that can't open the file.  It is not consistant. 

We use our own pop e-mail server, so it's not a problem between ISP's. 

Any suggestion would be much appreciated.    

[/quote]

The first thing I would do is try using a session log since it looks like what is happing is that there is some sort of POP3 TCP/IP download failure at the very end of the message (maybe packet fragmentation).   I would also look at upgrading to v4.41 to see if this helps. 

closed
Thomas R. Stephenson posted Jun 8 '07 at 7:45 pm

> This is a great list.  Thank you.  Is there any chance that
> an importer would be built in to future versions of Pegasus?
> The implementation of such a tool would be invaluable for
> people wanting to switch over to PMail.

Think about it a bit more.  Do you want WinPMail carrying around all of that conversion code just for a one time process?  How much of David's time would be spent changing this code to keep up with all the other mailers? 

closed
Thomas R. Stephenson posted Jul 2 '10 at 5:35 pm

I went to the DAWN site - the latest download there doesn't mention Windows 7 - let alone 64 bit setups.  So - back to my basic question: I have a large set of "contacts" in my Yahoo.com account that I wish to import into Pegasus V 4.52. Will DAWN really work for me?

Why not?  Win7 and 64 bit have nothing to do with this. 

closed
Brian Fluet posted Apr 27 '17 at 4:54 am

Consider the reply option selected for how long line from the original message are to be handled.  If Reformat or Wrap are selected the result will then be manipulated to conform to the message width setting you have configured for message formatting.  That width probably won't match the original message which can result in odd line wrapping or line breaks.  Sometimes the solution is a simple as cancelling that reply and trying it again using a different setting for the long line handling.  Sometimes manual manipulation is the only option.

That doesn't answer your question about why it's not automatically handled.  Perhaps its not possible considering the varied formatting that messages arrive in and the user options provide users with the means of automating the process as much as possible.

closed
PaulW posted Jun 9 '07 at 11:07 am

First of all I wouild create a session log of the whole transaction.  Go to MercurE configuration and fill in the directory and check the session log box. (Don't forget to turn it off later as they can get quite large.

With the complete detail, you will be able to see what's happening with these connections.

closed
Thomas_N_ posted Jun 8 '07 at 8:20 am

Hello!

Is the option "Use system-defined colours in Pegasus Mail's controls" of any help? You find it at "Tools" | "Options" | "General setting" | "Basic settings".
She may try it and see whether checking or unchecking it matters.

closed
Cyrus posted Oct 4 '07 at 12:56 am

jss1941/Angus:

You gentlemen are working with a local copy of pmail, with local mail folders and a local inbox.
The standby issue will never bite you because your files are *local*, they are always "there."

closed
A01 posted Sep 2 '08 at 9:43 am

Oh, regarding the help thing;

"Help" files on Microsoft windows are (de-facto, for me at least) more harm than good because I can't read the stuff because of their choice of fonts and sizes.

[A] The fonts are too small (even with the "large" option) and the choice of fonts is approximately impossible for me to read. The leters merge together on the screen. It's an eyesight thing.

I have tried using a magnifying glass, which isolates words and letters to start with, and then I find myself trying to deduce which pixels go with which letters. After all that, I try to form a word; it's a lot like Captain Midnight's secret decoder rings.

Anyway, thanks a lot for your help. I can now read my messages on my screen. Pegasus looks like a very good E-mail client.

closed
jacksod posted Sep 28 '07 at 6:28 pm

[quote user="Han v.d. Bogaerde"]

Ok, step two might be a problem in either state.pmj or hierarch.pm:

Try the following procedure.  This works to restore the functionality of the  message folders or to recover from a system crash: 

1.  Use Help | About Pegasus Mail | Info to determine your mail
    directory.  Exit Pegasus mail. 

2.  Rename the file HIERARCH.PM in your HOME mail directory to
    HIERARCH.SAV. 

3.  Run WinPMail.  Your HIERARCH.PM will be re-created and
    should start working correctly. 

Be advised that this may delete any tree structure you have created and may have to be recreated. 

If it still doesn't open, do the above for state.pmj as well.

[/quote]

Hi there.

I have been having this problem with a handful of users over the past few weeks and just wanted to let you know that the above solution resolved the issue for me.

Thanks,

Dan.

closed
henrik posted Jan 5 '10 at 11:19 am

I guess I found out: regardless of the setting in the options it seems that WHEN you search, the marking of "Delete search results on exit" in the search window is critical. Without marking this the individuel search result still remain after PM exit.  Otherwise not.

closed
tiresias posted Jun 3 '07 at 6:49 pm

[quote]"forward message without editing"[/quote]

Thanks, that seems to work fine. 

[quote]I don't however, understand why you have to fill out the address in

each and every message since you should have done so in the initial

dialogue box.[/quote]

I've only seen this procedure once when someone else was doing it. So I was incorrect about that - you do only need to enter the address once.

Re Spamhalter. I think for the time being I'd prefer to use just the one anti-spam mechanism (Mail Foundry). I guess spamhalter would still miss some messages that had been missed by Mail Foundry. The number coming through at present are manageable by multiple-forwarding. If things get a lot worse I'll consider adding spamhalter, but I would probably be complaining about Mail Foundry before then.

Thanks for the suggestions.

closed
Thomas R. Stephenson posted Jun 3 '07 at 6:37 pm

Got to the directory containing the progam and run pconfig.exe.  Reset the HOME and new mail directory spec to the correct drive letter and it should worlk.

Hello,

apart from wanting to see my name and message on this forum, I wanted to say thanks and congratulations to David Harris for making such a great program (fast, light, and lots of useful finetuning possibilities) and for providing it for free! 
Early year's message on pmail site on halting development at first gave me a 'this world ain't getting any better..' -feeling, but hopefully he has found the funds, and fresh motivation to keep on trucking.

Thanks again!!!
polygon

PS please keep it free?

closed
Thomas R. Stephenson posted Sep 19 '08 at 6:39 pm

Thomas, I know that the entry is correct, I have used this for some of

my software.  I am a Product Manager for a couple of software products

and have seen this with one of them.  I never thought about it in

relation to this problem.  I'm sure that you are running 4.51 also.  My

setup is basically the same.  Do you have the same parameters in both

machines, or only on the workstation?  I have not studied the effects

other than doing it on the workstation that I am running PMail on, not

the "server".  What settings did you do on which machine?  I am also

using Popfile and ClamAV for Mercury on the server side.

I'm running the oplocks on the workstation only here and I've just disabled the oplocks.  Checkout for my settings.  Everything works normally for me with disabled.  I did get a real slowdown when I moved to SP3 on the server and stayed at SP2 on the workstation but that went away when it went to SP3. 

I'm also running the Netware Client 32 since I'm also connecting to a Novell v3.2 system via bindery but I'm not all that sure this means anything in the scheme of things.

Thank you for your solution--the problem is solved.

Actually, I had plugged an Epson PictureMate in one time and Vista had used its own drivers and set it up as the default printer. This also explains why the HP kept starting up with a page size of 4 x 6. . .   Setting the HP as the default printer solved the problem. Thanks again!

Actions
Hide topic messages
Enable infinite scrolling
Previous
Next
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft