Community Discussions and Support

The perfect forum for discussions or technical questions about Pegasus Mail.

closed
Thomas R. Stephenson posted Sep 19 '08 at 6:39 pm

Thomas, I know that the entry is correct, I have used this for some of

my software.  I am a Product Manager for a couple of software products

and have seen this with one of them.  I never thought about it in

relation to this problem.  I'm sure that you are running 4.51 also.  My

setup is basically the same.  Do you have the same parameters in both

machines, or only on the workstation?  I have not studied the effects

other than doing it on the workstation that I am running PMail on, not

the "server".  What settings did you do on which machine?  I am also

using Popfile and ClamAV for Mercury on the server side.

I'm running the oplocks on the workstation only here and I've just disabled the oplocks.  Checkout for my settings.  Everything works normally for me with disabled.  I did get a real slowdown when I moved to SP3 on the server and stayed at SP2 on the workstation but that went away when it went to SP3. 

I'm also running the Netware Client 32 since I'm also connecting to a Novell v3.2 system via bindery but I'm not all that sure this means anything in the scheme of things.

Thank you for your solution--the problem is solved.

Actually, I had plugged an Epson PictureMate in one time and Vista had used its own drivers and set it up as the default printer. This also explains why the HP kept starting up with a page size of 4 x 6. . .   Setting the HP as the default printer solved the problem. Thanks again!

closed
irelam posted Jan 21 '09 at 4:39 am

There is nothing mystical about 2Gb limit. It is the maximum positive number that can be held in a 32 bit integer.    Until you migrate to Windows Vista 64 bit operating system the limit is a hardware architectural limit.

Martin

closed
Thomas_N_ posted Jun 2 '07 at 12:06 am

Hello!

I saw a similar behaviour in the past for most of my folders, and I still do for a few of them.

Until some weeks ago, compressing my folders took me a long a time (at least, it seemed to me a long time because compressing even a relatively small folder could take 40 seconds or more). Then, I had to buy a new harddrive, re-install Windows and all programs, and moving a data files to the new harddrive. Having finished that, I saw that compressing a Pegasus Mail folder was much faster than before; the new harddrive seems to accelerate almost all disk-related activities - not surprising against the background of the fact that my old harddrive was eight years old and the "new" one is one year old.

Now, I still have some folders for which compressing takes longer than for other ones. Those folders have two things in common: compressing takes longer than for other folders, and displaying the message list takes longer when grouped views are chosen for that folder.
However, I do not know yet what causes the difference between the "slow" and the "fast" folders.

So all I can do is to ask two questions:
(a) Is your harddrive old? (A new harddrive might be faster for folder compressing and other disk access.)
(b) Do the folders that need much time for compressing use grouped views? If so, does listing the messages in grouped views take much time in those folders?

closed
David Harris posted May 31 '07 at 7:28 am

At this point there really isn't a way of doing this, sorry. You can get a lot of it going using filtering rules (rules on the new mail folder that move all messages into the IMAP folder, and by attaching a filtering rule set to the IMAP inbox), but you can't do away with the local mailbox altogether. Realistically, this is unlikely to become an option in future, either.

As far as I know, the only "pure" IMAP client out there is Mulberry, which may (if I understand correctly) no longer be a supported product. Pure IMAP is difficult for a great many reasons, and demand is not that great (the impetus for this type of mail being largely towards webmail these days).

Sorry I can't be of more assistance here.

Cheers!

-- David --

closed
Mike posted Jun 28 '07 at 12:48 pm

[quote user="Medievalist"]Software monocultures are extremely bad for their users...[/quote]

That's a dogmatic statement.  And in truth, it's doubtful whether this metaphor is of any particular help to us. As Marcus Ranum points out here--

http://www.ranum.com/security/computer_security/editorials/monoculture-hype/index.html 

--computers aren't biological entities and behave differently.  Besides, there is no monoculture (insofar as the term has any meaning outside biology, anyway) but a bewildering array of different configurations:

[quote]My system isn't just Windows. My security is effected (and affected) by a bewildering combination of default settings, software patch levels, default firewall rules (I just plugged it in, honest!), browser settings, and antivirus signature sets. We're not in anything like danger of becoming a "monoculture" unless every system was running the same software load-out, security policy, antivirus product, and patch level. In spite of the dearest wishes of countless system administrators, that simply isn't going to happen! So, as much as I hate to say it, Sun's marketing people may have been right, "The network is the computer" - and the network sure as hell isn't going to become a "monoculture" unless Microsoft builds all the firewalls, all the routers, all the switches, all the web accellerators, all the SQL databases and establishes everyone's security, routing, DNS, and update policies.[/quote]

Really, this is a dubious metaphor that is only much good for MS-bashing. I don't say that as a fan of the company--I vastly prefer using Apple's products--but I dislike bad analogies. I think computer security is best approached as it is in itself rather than through metaphor.

closed
Uwe posted May 31 '07 at 3:16 pm

Hi David,

found a solution, but it should be a temp solution only.  I tried to issue an usual signature file within Pegasus and checked the PMS file - hooray, there was a different coding of special characters, copied this into rquotes.r compiled - and it works.

Cheers

Uwe  

closed
PaulW posted May 30 '07 at 12:34 pm

Yes, it's awkward when that happens - and I've done it a few times.  I don't know of a quick way of escaping from it other than killing the program.

closed
Thomas R. Stephenson posted May 30 '07 at 2:01 am

There are a few commercial programs to do this  type of conversion.

UniAccess
       http://www.comaxis.com/ua.htm

Aid4mail
       http://www.aid4mail.com/

Transend
       http://www.transend.com/

You might want to check out the converters available at the following site as well.
       http://www.emailman.com/conversion/#mboxwin

closed
Alex Leonard posted Jun 2 '07 at 10:38 pm

Thomas,

Got it to work as you suggest with a small variation:

I "shared" the \Pmail folder (which includes the \Mail folder), giving it a network share-name "Pegasus".

In the PCONFIG standalone configuration settings, I defined the Home and New paths as:

"~8"

Works great.  Thanks for your help!

Alex

closed
Dave posted May 30 '07 at 6:18 pm

Thank you so much Thomas and David!

I feel pretty dumb to have looked for so long yet still couldn't find a check box so obvious. Plus all the times I had to send multiple files, adding them one at a time. Duh.

closed
HolyHarp posted Oct 8 '11 at 1:27 pm

As our kind responder says, It is best to enable "show file extentions."  Without that, on my Win xp computer, some of the files showed a file type of "Performance Monitor File"  instead of a pmo, pmw or pmx file.   I caught it when I searched on

*.pmo, *.pmw, *.pmx

Thanks to the Pegasus team for a great program.

closed
irelam posted May 28 '07 at 7:10 pm

This looks very much like the previous reports of poorly formatted YahooGroups messages.   The latest version of Bearhtml has fixes for this, and should be used. As mentioned by Thomas it is available at a number of locations, now including the Downloads - Add-ons area in this Community.pmail.com.

If that doesn't fix it, then I recommend you change your profile at YahooGroups back to Classic format 

Martin Ireland 

closed
PiS posted May 28 '07 at 1:14 am

This means that your SMTP settings in Pmail must be set to authenticate with the server. Normally by using the same credentials as your POP3 settings.

If you wish - there is a French-speaking forum called "International Pegasus Mail"

closed
Thomas_N_ posted Jun 1 '07 at 12:00 pm

Hello!

As the future options are concerned, there is an external program you could use for importing messages: Mercury/32.

Mercury is a mail-server program that also has IMAP-support. The basic idea is to install Mercury with its IMAP-support, then copy the messages from other e-mail clients to the IMAP-account (created by Mercury), then move that messages from the IMAP-account to Pegasus Mail's local mailbox.

I have never used that before, so I can only tell what you might do. The disadvantage is that you have to do so manually; the advantage is that the "transport" via IMAP follows standardised rules, so the messages should not be altered or get lost (to the best of my knowledge).

Another idea is that save the messages in a folder that is in Unix mailbox format (*.mbx-files when created in Pegasus Mail). Since Pegasus Mail has some (limited) support for *.mbx-files, one e-mail client could create such a folder, and the oether one (Pegasus Mail) would read it.

You could create a folder in the Unix mailbox format in the other e-mail client and then make Pegasus Mail (try to) read that file, either by copying that file to that Pegasus Mail user's mailbox directory (and renaming that file to an *.mbx-file), or by using the "Add mailbox to list..."-command (and poiting to that directory that contains the *.mbx-files).

As above, you should have to do the work manually...and again, the only thing I know about these conversion steps is the theory - I have never done that in practice, so I do not know about any pitfalls.

Perhaps, others can tell you more about that.

closed
dgrahame posted May 28 '07 at 4:26 am

Thanks very much for the explanation, David. It helps quite a lot to understand more about Pegasus' HTML technology (much more complex than I would have imagined!) - and also to know that my OS isn't screwed up somehow.

So how safe would it be to assume that a forwarded HTML section - with "Edit or make changes..." - will probably be seen by the recipient as it originally appeared in the reader window, even if it looks screwy in the compose window? At least in my experiment today, it did work out that way.

Dave

Actions
Hide topic messages
Enable infinite scrolling
Previous
Next
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft