Community Discussions and Support
How to install folders and messages from one pc to another

Some quick comments...

Files copied to CD or DVD are flagged read only by default.  Copying them back to a hard drive may require that you change that attribute in order to modify them.  Keep this in mind going forward as it may cause problems.  Lots of info out in www land about dealing with this.

If I understand correctly, you now have directories added to your Pegasus Mail folder as added mailboxes.  You can leave this as it is or you can copy the contents into folders in your My Mailbox.  You must create folders in My Mailbox and then copy messages from added mailbox folders to My Mailbox folders.  You can not copy or move an entire folder between My Mailbox and an added mailbox.  If you leave it as it is, you don't need to have the added mailbox connect every time you start Pegasus Mail.  You can add one when needed then disconnect it when done.  Normally you can manipulate message inside an added mailbox just like you can in My Mailbox but if the read only attribute is set on all of these files then it might prevent you from doing this.

One of your comments indicates that you have multiple folders of the same name.  A failure of the tray structure flattens all folder to one level.  A directory added as an added mailbox will not have a tray structure which is why you are not seeing any trays in the added mailboxes.  You can rebuild it and it will then be maintained on subsequent adds.  Keep in mind that a loss of the tray structure can be difficult to recreate if it is extensive so here is a suggestion.  If you create a tray named 'Tim' and another named 'Jane' then all folders in those trays should be suffixed with some sort of reference to parent tray.  I suffix mine with the first four characters of the tray name (I used to prefix but that caused sorting problems).  The result is folders in tray 'Tim' will have names like 'Correspondence_Tim' and 'Photos_Tim'.  Tray Jane will have 'Correspondence_Jane' and 'Photos_Jane'.

As for your current status, it sounds like your only problem is with how the data it is being presented because of the lost tray structure and possibly duplicate folder ID's.  Based on your description of the manipulation you did with the 3.12 mailboxes I suspect you might have folders with duplicate internal ID's.  When this happens, Pegasus Mail will not display either folder.  It's not that they are not there, it's just that Pegasus can't handle the duplicate ID's.  Duplicate folder ID's occur when you copy a mailbox that contained folders and then use both mailboxes.  All is well as long as they are opened independently but open both (one as an added mailbox) an you have trouble.  To prevent that, only have one directory at a time as an added mailbox.  There is a utility called PMRestArch that can assign new internal ID's if you need to.

I kind of just did a brain dump so hope it makes sense.

<p>Some quick comments...</p><p>Files copied to CD or DVD are flagged read only by default.  Copying them back to a hard drive may require that you change that attribute in order to modify them.  Keep this in mind going forward as it may cause problems.  Lots of info out in www land about dealing with this.</p><p>If I understand correctly, you now have directories added to your Pegasus Mail folder as added mailboxes.  You can leave this as it is or you can copy the contents into folders in your My Mailbox.  You must create folders in My Mailbox and then copy messages from added mailbox folders to My Mailbox folders.  You can not copy or move an entire folder between My Mailbox and an added mailbox.  If you leave it as it is, you don't need to have the added mailbox connect every time you start Pegasus Mail.  You can add one when needed then disconnect it when done.  Normally you can manipulate message inside an added mailbox just like you can in My Mailbox but if the read only attribute is set on all of these files then it might prevent you from doing this. </p><p>One of your comments indicates that you have multiple folders of the same name.  A failure of the tray structure flattens all folder to one level.  A directory added as an added mailbox will not have a tray structure which is why you are not seeing any trays in the added mailboxes.  You can rebuild it and it will then be maintained on subsequent adds.  Keep in mind that a loss of the tray structure can be difficult to recreate if it is extensive so here is a suggestion.  If you create a tray named 'Tim' and another named 'Jane' then all folders in those trays should be suffixed with some sort of reference to parent tray.  I suffix mine with the first four characters of the tray name (I used to prefix but that caused sorting problems).  The result is folders in tray 'Tim' will have names like 'Correspondence_Tim' and 'Photos_Tim'.  Tray Jane will have 'Correspondence_Jane' and 'Photos_Jane'.</p><p>As for your current status, it sounds like your only problem is with how the data it is being presented because of the lost tray structure and possibly duplicate folder ID's.  Based on your description of the manipulation you did with the 3.12 mailboxes I suspect you might have folders with duplicate internal ID's.  When this happens, Pegasus Mail will not display either folder.  It's not that they are not there, it's just that Pegasus can't handle the duplicate ID's.  Duplicate folder ID's occur when you copy a mailbox that contained folders and then use both mailboxes.  All is well as long as they are opened independently but open both (one as an added mailbox) an you have trouble.  To prevent that, only have one directory at a time as an added mailbox.  There is a utility called PMRestArch that can assign new internal ID's if you need to.</p><p>I kind of just did a brain dump so hope it makes sense. </p>

1. Save the MAIL-Direction on a USB-Stick, CD or transfer via LAN to the new PC

2.  Save MAIL-Folders on the desired place on the new PC

3. Open the CONFIG File in the Mail Folder an eventually adapt the path for the Mailox. E.g change from D:\PMAIL\MAIL into E:\PMAIL\MAIL or whatever 

4. Install PMAIL on the PC. Note!!! Dont't choose "create mailbox" at the menu.

5. Start PMAIL.

6. Choose whether you want to run SINGLE or MULTI User Mode (depending on what kind of installation you had on your old pc)

7. Choose the path where the MAIL-Folder is saved on the PC

8. EXIT

9. Run PMAIL

Questions? Please do no dither to ask. 

<p>1. Save the MAIL-Direction on a USB-Stick, CD or transfer via LAN to the new PC </p><p>2.  Save MAIL-Folders on the desired place on the new PC</p><p>3. Open the CONFIG File in the Mail Folder an eventually adapt the path for the Mailox. E.g change from D:\PMAIL\MAIL into E:\PMAIL\MAIL or whatever </p><p>4. Install PMAIL on the PC. Note!!! Dont't choose "create mailbox" at the menu.</p><p>5. Start PMAIL.</p><p>6. Choose whether you want to run SINGLE or MULTI User Mode (depending on what kind of installation you had on your old pc)</p><p>7. Choose the path where the MAIL-Folder is saved on the PC</p><p>8. EXIT</p><p>9. Run PMAIL</p><p>Questions? Please do no dither to ask. </p><p> </p>

[quote user="mw1972"]

1. Save the MAIL-Direction on a USB-Stick, CD or transfer via LAN to the new PC

2.  Save MAIL-Folders on the desired place on the new PC

3. Open the CONFIG File in the Mail Folder an eventually adapt the path for the Mailox. E.g change from D:\PMAIL\MAIL into E:\PMAIL\MAIL or whatever 

4. Install PMAIL on the PC. Note!!! Dont't choose "create mailbox" at the menu.

5. Start PMAIL.

6. Choose whether you want to run SINGLE or MULTI User Mode (depending on what kind of installation you had on your old pc)

7. Choose the path where the MAIL-Folder is saved on the PC

8. EXIT

9. Run PMAIL

Questions? Please do no dither to ask. 

[/quote]

Normally I recommend copying the whole thing accress and then upgrading.

1.  Use Help | About Pegasus Mail | Info and note all the
    directories.  This is the directory structure you want to
    backup.

2.  Use the Windows backup program to backup the entire
    structure. In the multiuser made this means you'll have to
    backup the top level structure to get all the user
    directories. You can simply ZIP these directories to a
    CDROM and restore on the other end as well.

3.  Restore this to the new computer.  

Note:

A.  If you are using a CDROM for backup make sure that the
    files did not get marked read only.  Use Explorer and check
    the file properties.

B.  If you changed drive letters then run pconfig.exe and
    change the drive letter of the home and new mail directory
    to match the new location. You also should check the
    Mailbox: line in the *.PND files and make sure it's blank.

C.  If you want to upgrade in the process do it after you transfer
    the files and install it over the old installation using exactly
    the same directory structure and options.

[quote user="mw1972"]<p>1. Save the MAIL-Direction on a USB-Stick, CD or transfer via LAN to the new PC </p><p>2.  Save MAIL-Folders on the desired place on the new PC</p><p>3. Open the CONFIG File in the Mail Folder an eventually adapt the path for the Mailox. E.g change from D:\PMAIL\MAIL into E:\PMAIL\MAIL or whatever </p><p>4. Install PMAIL on the PC. Note!!! Dont't choose "create mailbox" at the menu.</p><p>5. Start PMAIL.</p><p>6. Choose whether you want to run SINGLE or MULTI User Mode (depending on what kind of installation you had on your old pc)</p><p>7. Choose the path where the MAIL-Folder is saved on the PC</p><p>8. EXIT</p><p>9. Run PMAIL</p><p>Questions? Please do no dither to ask. </p><p> </p><p>[/quote]</p><p> </p><p>Normally I recommend copying the whole thing accress and then upgrading.</p><p>  1.  Use Help | About Pegasus Mail | Info and note all the     directories.  This is the directory structure you want to     backup. 2.  Use the Windows backup program to backup the entire     structure. In the multiuser made this means you'll have to     backup the top level structure to get all the user     directories. You can simply ZIP these directories to a     CDROM and restore on the other end as well. 3.  Restore this to the new computer.   Note: A.  If you are using a CDROM for backup make sure that the     files did not get marked read only.  Use Explorer and check     the file properties. B.  If you changed drive letters then run pconfig.exe and     change the drive letter of the home and new mail directory     to match the new location. You also should check the     Mailbox: line in the *.PND files and make sure it's blank. C.  If you want to upgrade in the process do it after you transfer     the files and install it over the old installation using exactly     the same directory structure and options. </p><p> </p>

Hi -

Same basic topic, but more specifically...
Does anyone know if it's possible to transfer messages & folders from Pegasus 3.12 - yes, you read that right - FROM an OLD WIN 95 MACHINE - into whatever is the most current version of Pegasus which would be running on a Windows 7 machine? 

I intend to install most current Pegasus onto a Win 7 laptop, which has never had Pegasus before, and then also transfer Pegasus 4.41 messages & folders from a Win XP machine.  I expect that transfer should be fairly easy - by itself - but am just wondering if the other is even possible, & if so anything I should know before I try it?  (like maybe put 4.41, instead of the most current, onto the new machine?)

Thanks in advance for any advice. 

steveinpittsburgh

<span style="color: rgb(34, 34, 34); font-family: arial, sans-serif; font-size: 12.8000001907349px;">Hi -</span><div style="color: rgb(34, 34, 34); font-family: arial, sans-serif; font-size: 12.8000001907349px;">Same basic topic, but more specifically...</div><div style="color: rgb(34, 34, 34); font-family: arial, sans-serif; font-size: 12.8000001907349px;">Does anyone know if it's possible to transfer messages & folders from Pegasus 3.12 - yes, you read that right - FROM an OLD WIN 95 MACHINE - into whatever is the most current version of Pegasus which would be running on a Windows 7 machine?<span style="font-size: 12.8000001907349px;"> </span></div><div style="color: rgb(34, 34, 34); font-family: arial, sans-serif; font-size: 12.8000001907349px;"> </div><div style="color: rgb(34, 34, 34); font-family: arial, sans-serif; font-size: 12.8000001907349px;">I intend to install most current Pegasus onto a Win 7 laptop, which has never had Pegasus before, and then also transfer Pegasus 4.41 messages & folders from a Win XP machine.  I expect that transfer should be fairly easy - by itself - but am just wondering if the other is even possible, & if so anything I should know before I try it?  (like maybe put 4.41, instead of the most current, onto the new machine?)</div><div style="color: rgb(34, 34, 34); font-family: arial, sans-serif; font-size: 12.8000001907349px;"> </div><div style="color: rgb(34, 34, 34); font-family: arial, sans-serif; font-size: 12.8000001907349px;">Thanks in advance for any advice. </div><div style="color: rgb(34, 34, 34); font-family: arial, sans-serif; font-size: 12.8000001907349px;"> </div><div style="color: rgb(34, 34, 34); font-family: arial, sans-serif; font-size: 12.8000001907349px;">- <span style="font-size: 12.8000001907349px;">steveinpittsburgh</span></div><div style="color: rgb(34, 34, 34); font-family: arial, sans-serif; font-size: 12.8000001907349px;"> </div><div style="color: rgb(34, 34, 34); font-family: arial, sans-serif; font-size: 12.8000001907349px;"> </div>

First I want to make sure that you are aware of this white paper in the downloads section of the community.  You will find it helpful.

http://community.pmail.com/files/folders/whitepapers/entry41852.aspx

If I were you I would install Pegasus Mail on the laptop and get it configured and working.  Next I would use the info in the white paper to copy any data you want from the v4.41 on the XP machine.  Finally I would copy the mailbox directory(ies) from the Win95 machine to a location in My Documents on the laptop and then it (them) as added mailboxes to the Pegasus Mail folder list.  You can copy content to other folders as desired or leave as attached.  Please post back if you are not familar with adding a directory as an added mailbox to the folder list.

<p>First I want to make sure that you are aware of this white paper in the downloads section of the community.  You will find it helpful. </p><p>http://community.pmail.com/files/folders/whitepapers/entry41852.aspx </p><p>If I were you I would install Pegasus Mail on the laptop and get it configured and working.  Next I would use the info in the white paper to copy any data you want from the v4.41 on the XP machine.  Finally I would copy the mailbox directory(ies) from the Win95 machine to a location in My Documents on the laptop and then it (them) as added mailboxes to the Pegasus Mail folder list.  You can copy content to other folders as desired or leave as attached.  Please post back if you are not familar with adding a directory as an added mailbox to the folder list. </p><p> </p>

Thanks Brian; I was not aware of the whitepaper; but apparently that is getting ahead of myself.  I've installed 4.63 on laptop but have not yet gotten it configured successfully.  

There's another thread where I found more detailed instructions on configuration, to which I am about to post.  I may be back here again at some point later on.  Thanks again.

<p>Thanks Brian; I was not aware of the whitepaper; but apparently that is getting ahead of myself.  I've installed 4.63 on laptop but have not yet gotten it configured successfully.  </p><p>There's another thread where I found more detailed instructions on configuration, to which I am about to post.  I may be back here again at some point later on.  Thanks again.</p>

<colgroup><col width="730" style="mso-width-source:userset;mso-width-alt:26697;width:548pt"><p> </p></colgroup>

OK, I've looked @ the whitepaper; and have also read (many

times) the original post by mw1972, and the notes added by T Stephenson.

But I don't know what to do with all this information. 

I seem to remember from moving Pegasus to another computer once

before - many years ago - that it seemed fairly straightforward, mostly just

copy-n-pasting certain folders/files from the old computer onto the new

one.  But I'm confused now about exactly

which files/folders, and exactly where to put them. 

I'm most inclined to try to follow mw1972's

directions step-by-step, but I don't know what is meant by

"MAIL-direction", or "MAIL-folders" (steps 1 & 2).  

I've tried pasting the desktop "Pmail" folder onto the

laptop.  Of course, laptop C: already had a folder named

"Pmail" (from the installation of 4.63 a couple days ago); so I put

the desktop's "Pmail" INSIDE the laptop's "Pmail".

So now I have a "PMAIL" within which is, among other things,

MAIL:ADMIN,

MAIL:PMAIL.USR,

PMAIL:MAIL:ADMIN,

PMAIL:MAIL:PMAIL.USR

...and

more, but at this point something tells me I'm not on the right track.  Help!

&lt;table border=&quot;0&quot; cellpadding=&quot;0&quot; cellspacing=&quot;0&quot; width=&quot;730&quot; style=&quot;border-collapse: collapse; width: 548pt;&quot;&gt; &lt;colgroup&gt;&lt;col width=&quot;730&quot; style=&quot;mso-width-source:userset;mso-width-alt:26697;width:548pt&quot;&gt; &lt;/colgroup&gt;&lt;tbody&gt;&lt;tr height=&quot;102&quot; style=&quot;height:76.5pt&quot;&gt; &lt;td height=&quot;102&quot; class=&quot;xl67&quot; align=&quot;left&quot; width=&quot;730&quot; style=&quot;height:76.5pt; width:548pt&quot;&gt;&lt;p&gt;OK, I&#039;ve looked @ the whitepaper; and have also read (many times) the original post by mw1972, and the notes added by T Stephenson. &amp;nbsp;But I don&#039;t know what to do with all this information.&amp;nbsp; &lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;I seem to remember from moving Pegasus to another computer once before - many years ago - that it seemed fairly straightforward, mostly just copy-n-pasting certain folders/files from the old computer onto the new one.&amp;nbsp; But I&#039;m confused now about exactly which files/folders, and exactly where to put them.&amp;nbsp; &lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;I&#039;m most inclined to try to follow mw1972&#039;s directions step-by-step, but I don&#039;t know what is meant by &quot;MAIL-direction&quot;, or &quot;MAIL-folders&quot; (steps 1 &amp;amp; 2). &amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;/td&gt;&lt;/tr&gt;&lt;tr height=&quot;68&quot; style=&quot;height:51.0pt&quot;&gt;&lt;td height=&quot;68&quot; class=&quot;xl68&quot; align=&quot;left&quot; width=&quot;730&quot; style=&quot;height:51.0pt; width:548pt&quot;&gt;&lt;p&gt;I&#039;ve tried pasting the desktop &quot;Pmail&quot; folder onto the laptop. &amp;nbsp;Of course, laptop C: already had a folder named &quot;Pmail&quot; (from the installation of 4.63 a couple days ago); so I put the desktop&#039;s &quot;Pmail&quot; INSIDE the laptop&#039;s &quot;Pmail&quot;. &amp;nbsp;So now I have a &quot;PMAIL&quot; within which is, among other things, &lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt; MAIL:ADMIN, &lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;MAIL:PMAIL.USR, &lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;PMAIL:MAIL:ADMIN, &lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;PMAIL:MAIL:PMAIL.USR&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;...and more, but at this point something tells me I&#039;m not on the right track. &amp;nbsp;Help!&lt;/p&gt;&lt;/td&gt; &lt;/tr&gt; &lt;tr height=&quot;22&quot; style=&quot;height:16.5pt&quot;&gt; &lt;td height=&quot;22&quot; class=&quot;xl66&quot; width=&quot;730&quot; style=&quot;height:16.5pt;width:548pt&quot;&gt; &lt;/td&gt;&lt;/tr&gt;&lt;/tbody&gt;&lt;/table&gt;

If you can, undo what you have done thus far.

Upgrade the old machine to v4.63.

Look at Help | About | Info on both machines. If the WINPMAIL.EXE and Home and New Mailbox locations are the same you can paste C:\PMail over the top of the existing, not into it.

If they are different note them here ans seek further advice.

&lt;p&gt;If you can, undo what you have done thus far.&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;Upgrade the old machine to v4.63. &lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;Look at Help | About | Info on both machines. If the WINPMAIL.EXE and Home and New Mailbox locations are the same you can paste C:\PMail over the top of the existing, not into it.&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;If they are different note them here ans seek further advice. &lt;/p&gt;

You recall correctly that once upon a time you could copy an entire Pegasus Mail installation from PC to PC without a problem.  That has all changed.    Posts on this subject going back more than a few years are no longer relevant except under very specific conditions.  Even under those circumstances the chance of bringing problems over from older version installs make it not worth the risk.

You know that \PMAIL directory that you copied in from the v4.41

install... move it back out of there.  Keep it handy for copying mailbox content but get it out of

laptop's \PMAIL directory.

The install of v4.63 on the laptop, if installed following the defaults, should have created a  directory structure of C:\PMAIL\PROGRAMS and C:\PMAIL\MAIL\ADMIN.  Stop now and post back if that is not what you see.

Let me take a minute here to explain that I use the word "directory" to mean a windows directory and the word "folder" to mean a mail folder inside of the Pegasus Mail folder list.

My apology if I get too simplistic in this explanation but it is important to understand that C:\PMAIL\PROGRAMS is where the Pegasus Mail executable files reside and C:\PMAIL\MAIL is where the mailbox directories resides.  You should never need to manipulate any files in the C:\PMAIL\PROGRAMS directory so put that one out of your mind. 

Residing in the C:\PMAIL\MAIL directory is not only the mailbox directories but also the PMAIL.USR file which maintains the record of Pegasus Mail users.  By default there is only one user named ADMIN whose mailbox directory is C:\PMAIL\MAIL\ADMIN.  The mailbox directory contains all of the configuration files associated with that user as well as the data (messages, message folders, address books, distribution lists... everything that is listed on that whitepaper).  This design has not substantially changed in Pegasus Mail versions going back as long as I can remember.  The default user name of ADMIN is a recent addition but the concept of the user name matching the mailbox directory name has been around for awhile so you should be able to relate it to the directory structure of your previous installs.

One thing you haven't stated is the number of Pegasus Mail users you had on the previous installs so I am going to assume it is one.  If it is more, the procedures are the same except that you will first need to create additional users in the new install so that they are recorded in the PMAIL.USR file and their mailbox directory is created.

So, the object now is to get data copied from the mailbox directory of the v4.41 install to the mailbox directory of the new v4.63 install (which we know is C:\PMAIL\MAIL\ADMIN)  This is where the whitepaper comes in.  The top three sections in the whitepaper identify files that are safe to copy from an old mailbox directory to new mailbox directory.  The other sections identify files that must not be copied because they will very likely break the new install.  A judicious approach is recommended.  Create from scratch in the new install if it can easily be done (eg: a small distribution list or address book).

Copy files with Pegasus Mail closed.  Work slowly, test often, back up the \ADMIN directory often to make it easy to revert back if needed.  Give a second look to any file copy that will result in an overwrite.  If in doubt, ask first before overwriting an existing file.  Good luck!  Be sure to keep a copy of the v4.41 install safe because worst case is that you might have to start from scratch.  The good news is that the second time goes much faster.  Yes, that is experience talking.  Hope you don't have to experience it.

We are not going to address the v3.12 files now because that is a whole nuther can of worms and should be approached much differently.

&lt;p&gt;You recall correctly that once upon a time you could copy an entire Pegasus Mail installation from PC to PC without a problem.&amp;nbsp; That has all changed.&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp; Posts on this subject going back more than a few years are no longer relevant except under very specific conditions.&amp;nbsp; Even under those circumstances the chance of bringing problems over from older version installs make it not worth the risk.&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;You know that \PMAIL directory that you copied in from the v4.41 install... move it back out of there.&amp;nbsp; Keep it handy for copying mailbox content but get it out of laptop&#039;s \PMAIL directory. &lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;The install of v4.63 on the laptop, if installed following the defaults, should have created a&amp;nbsp; directory structure of C:\PMAIL\PROGRAMS and C:\PMAIL\MAIL\ADMIN.&amp;nbsp; Stop now and post back if that is not what you see.&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;Let me take a minute here to explain that I use the word &quot;directory&quot; to mean a windows directory and the word &quot;folder&quot; to mean a mail folder inside of the Pegasus Mail folder list.&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;My apology if I get too simplistic in this explanation but it is important to understand that C:\PMAIL\PROGRAMS is where the Pegasus Mail executable files reside and C:\PMAIL\MAIL is where the mailbox directories resides.&amp;nbsp; You should never need to manipulate any files in the C:\PMAIL\PROGRAMS directory so put that one out of your mind.&amp;nbsp; &lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;Residing in the C:\PMAIL\MAIL directory is not only the mailbox directories but also the PMAIL.USR file which maintains the record of Pegasus Mail users.&amp;nbsp; By default there is only one user named ADMIN whose mailbox directory is C:\PMAIL\MAIL\ADMIN.&amp;nbsp; The mailbox directory contains all of the configuration files associated with that user as well as the data (messages, message folders, address books, distribution lists... everything that is listed on that whitepaper).&amp;nbsp; This design has not substantially changed in Pegasus Mail versions going back as long as I can remember.&amp;nbsp; The default user name of ADMIN is a recent addition but the concept of the user name matching the mailbox directory name has been around for awhile so you should be able to relate it to the directory structure of your previous installs. &lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;One thing you haven&#039;t stated is the number of Pegasus Mail users you had on the previous installs so I am going to assume it is one.&amp;nbsp; If it is more, the procedures are the same except that you will first need to create additional users in the new install so that they are recorded in the PMAIL.USR file and their mailbox directory is created. &lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;So, the object now is to get data copied from the mailbox directory of the v4.41 install to the mailbox directory of the new v4.63 install (which we know is C:\PMAIL\MAIL\ADMIN)&amp;nbsp; This is where the whitepaper comes in.&amp;nbsp; The top three sections in the whitepaper identify files that are safe to copy from an old mailbox directory to new mailbox directory.&amp;nbsp; The other sections identify files that must not be copied because they will very likely break the new install.&amp;nbsp; A judicious approach is recommended.&amp;nbsp; Create from scratch in the new install if it can easily be done (eg: a small distribution list or address book).&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;Copy files with Pegasus Mail closed.&amp;nbsp; Work slowly, test often, back up the \ADMIN directory often to make it easy to revert back if needed.&amp;nbsp; Give a second look to any file copy that will result in an overwrite.&amp;nbsp; If in doubt, ask first before overwriting an existing file.&amp;nbsp; Good luck!&amp;nbsp; Be sure to keep a copy of the v4.41 install safe because worst case is that you might have to start from scratch.&amp;nbsp; The good news is that the second time goes much faster.&amp;nbsp; Yes, that is experience talking.&amp;nbsp; Hope you don&#039;t have to experience it. &lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;We are not going to address the v3.12 files now because that is a whole nuther can of worms and should be approached much differently. &lt;/p&gt;

Replying to caisson:

Undoing what I've done should be no problem.

Not sure if I could upgrade old machine to 4.63.  It runs XP, so for security reasons I stopped using it to connect to internet after XP support stopped in 2014.  Have been connecting exclusively by laptop.  (Desktop has been sitting here only for the sake of the data I had stored on it, of which Pegasus is now the last remaining.  As soon as I get these Pegasus files off it and onto the laptop, the desktop is going in the trash.)  Having said all that... if updating desktop to 4.63 is critical, I'm sure I could get it connected one more time.  I tried to do so a few days ago, to see if it would, and it didn't; but it shouldn't be too hard... it wasn't THAT long ago that it worked.

Locations are not the same.  

Old machine (desktop) is:

WINPMAIL.EXE directory: C:\PMAIL\Programs

Home mailbox location: C:\PMAIL\MAIL\steve

New mailbox location: C:\PMAIL\MAIL\steve

New (laptop) is:  

Home mailbox location: C:\PMAIL\MAIL\Admin

New mailbox location: C:\PMAIL\MAIL\Admin 

&lt;p&gt;Replying to caisson:&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;Undoing what I&#039;ve done should be no problem.&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;Not sure if I could upgrade old machine to 4.63. &amp;nbsp;It runs XP, so for security reasons I stopped using it to connect to internet after XP support stopped in 2014. &amp;nbsp;Have been connecting exclusively by laptop. &amp;nbsp;(Desktop has been sitting here only for the sake of the data I had stored on it, of which Pegasus is now the last remaining. &amp;nbsp;As soon as I get these Pegasus files off it and onto the laptop, the desktop is going in the trash.) &amp;nbsp;Having said all that... if updating desktop to 4.63 is critical, I&#039;m sure I could get it connected one more time. &amp;nbsp;I tried to do so a few days ago, to see if it would, and it didn&#039;t; but it shouldn&#039;t be too hard... it wasn&#039;t THAT long ago that it worked.&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;Locations are not the same. &amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;Old machine (desktop) is:&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p style=&quot;font-size: 13.3333330154419px;&quot;&gt;WINPMAIL.EXE directory: C:\PMAIL\Programs&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p style=&quot;font-size: 13.3333330154419px;&quot;&gt;Home mailbox location: C:\PMAIL\MAIL\steve&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&lt;span style=&quot;font-size: 13.3333330154419px;&quot;&gt;New mailbox location: C:\PMAIL\MAIL\steve&lt;/span&gt;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&lt;span style=&quot;font-size: 13.3333330154419px;&quot;&gt;New (laptop) is:&amp;nbsp;&lt;/span&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;WINPMAIL.EXE directory: C:\PMAIL\Programs&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;Home mailbox location: C:\PMAIL\MAIL\Admin&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;New mailbox location: C:\PMAIL\MAIL\Admin&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;

[quote user="Brian Fluet"]

"Posts on this subject going back more than a few years..."

- Yeah, I wondered about that.

So far so good through your first 6 paragraphs.  Here's my next question: 

"...number of Pegasus Mail users you had on the previous installs so I am going to assume it is one.  If it is more, the procedures are the same except that you will first need to create additional users in the new install so that they are recorded in the PMAIL.USR file and their mailbox directory is created."

It WAS more - it was two.  I see in the old directory structure there are 3 listed:  Admin, ellen, and steve.  In the new structure there is only Admin (which is really me, Steve.)  So do I create just "ellen" in the new install, or should I create "ellen" and "steve"?   

[/quote]

[quote user=&quot;Brian Fluet&quot;]&lt;p&gt;&quot;Posts on this subject going back more than a few years...&quot;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;- Yeah, I wondered about that.&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;So far so good through your first 6 paragraphs. &amp;nbsp;Here&#039;s my next question:&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&lt;span style=&quot;font-size: 10pt;&quot;&gt;&quot;...number of Pegasus Mail users you had on the previous installs so I am going to assume it is one.&amp;nbsp; If it is more, the procedures are the same except that you will first need to create additional users in the new install so that they are recorded in the PMAIL.USR file and their mailbox directory is created.&quot;&lt;/span&gt;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&lt;span style=&quot;font-size: 10pt;&quot;&gt;It WAS more - it was two. &amp;nbsp;I see in the old directory structure there are 3 listed: &amp;nbsp;Admin, ellen, and steve. &amp;nbsp;In the new structure there is only Admin (which is really me, Steve.) &amp;nbsp;So do I create just &quot;ellen&quot; in the new install, or should I create &quot;ellen&quot; and &quot;steve&quot;? &amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/span&gt;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&lt;span style=&quot;font-size: 10pt;&quot;&gt;[/quote]&lt;/span&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

[quote user="steveinpittsburgh"]

Replying to caisson:

Undoing what I've done should be no problem.

Not sure if I could upgrade old machine to 4.63.  It runs XP, so for security reasons I stopped using it to connect to internet after XP support stopped in 2014.  Have been connecting exclusively by laptop.  (Desktop has been sitting here only for the sake of the data I had stored on it, of which Pegasus is now the last remaining.  As soon as I get these Pegasus files off it and onto the laptop, the desktop is going in the trash.)  Having said all that... if updating desktop to 4.63 is critical, I'm sure I could get it connected one more time.  I tried to do so a few days ago, to see if it would, and it didn't; but it shouldn't be too hard... it wasn't THAT long ago that it worked.

Locations are not the same.  

Old machine (desktop) is:

Home mailbox location: C:\PMAIL\MAIL\steve

New mailbox location: C:\PMAIL\MAIL\steve

New (laptop) is:  

Home mailbox location: C:\PMAIL\MAIL\Admin

New mailbox location: C:\PMAIL\MAIL\Admin 

[/quote]

Locations are in fact the same. You would merely need to create a new User "Steve" with admin rights in the new installation.

Upgrading Pmail on the old machine could be done from a usb stick, no need to go online.

I use the total transfer method ( i.e.the PMAIL folder in its entirety) often and as recently as one week ago, to both Windows 7 and 8 installations, with no problems.

However I do not wish to create conflict within the forum and suggest therefore that you follow Brian Fluet's advice from this point. 

[quote user=&quot;steveinpittsburgh&quot;]&lt;p&gt;Replying to caisson:&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;Undoing what I&#039;ve done should be no problem.&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;Not sure if I could upgrade old machine to 4.63. &amp;nbsp;It runs XP, so for security reasons I stopped using it to connect to internet after XP support stopped in 2014. &amp;nbsp;Have been connecting exclusively by laptop. &amp;nbsp;(Desktop has been sitting here only for the sake of the data I had stored on it, of which Pegasus is now the last remaining. &amp;nbsp;As soon as I get these Pegasus files off it and onto the laptop, the desktop is going in the trash.) &amp;nbsp;Having said all that... if updating desktop to 4.63 is critical, I&#039;m sure I could get it connected one more time. &amp;nbsp;I tried to do so a few days ago, to see if it would, and it didn&#039;t; but it shouldn&#039;t be too hard... it wasn&#039;t THAT long ago that it worked.&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;Locations are not the same. &amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;Old machine (desktop) is:&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p style=&quot;font-size: 13.3333330154419px;&quot;&gt;WINPMAIL.EXE directory: C:\PMAIL\Programs&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p style=&quot;font-size: 13.3333330154419px;&quot;&gt;Home mailbox location: C:\PMAIL\MAIL\steve&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&lt;span style=&quot;font-size: 13.3333330154419px;&quot;&gt;New mailbox location: C:\PMAIL\MAIL\steve&lt;/span&gt;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&lt;span style=&quot;font-size: 13.3333330154419px;&quot;&gt;New (laptop) is:&amp;nbsp;&lt;/span&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;WINPMAIL.EXE directory: C:\PMAIL\Programs&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;Home mailbox location: C:\PMAIL\MAIL\Admin&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;New mailbox location: C:\PMAIL\MAIL\Admin&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;[/quote]&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;Locations are in fact the same. You would merely need to create a new User &quot;Steve&quot; with admin rights in the new installation.&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;Upgrading Pmail on the old machine could be done from a usb stick, no need to go online.&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt; I use the total transfer method ( i.e.the PMAIL folder in its entirety) often and as recently as one week ago, to both Windows 7 and 8 installations, with no problems.&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;However I do not wish to create conflict within the forum and suggest therefore that you follow Brian Fluet&#039;s advice from this point.&amp;nbsp; &lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;

[quote user="steveinpittsburgh"]

"...number of Pegasus Mail users you had on the previous installs so I am going to assume it is one.  If it is more, the procedures are the same except that you will first need to create additional users in the new install so that they are recorded in the PMAIL.USR file and their mailbox directory is created."

It WAS more - it was two.  I see in the old directory structure there are 3 listed:  Admin, ellen, and steve.  In the new structure there is only Admin (which is really me, Steve.)  So do I create just "ellen" in the new install, or should I create "ellen" and "steve"?   

[/quote]

If the users in the new install will be the same as the old install then I would create those users (steve and ellen) in the new install.  You will then be copying data from old mailbox directory "\steve" to new mailbox directory "\steve" and from old mailbox directory "\ellen" to new mailbox directory "\ellen".

Caissons' point about copying the entire \PMAIL directory from machine to machine is valid IF and only IF it is copied to the same location AND it was not installed inside of a \PROGRAM FILES directory.  That said, because you reference v4.41 and v3.12 my assumption is that your XP installation is an upgrade from v3.12 so from my point of view it is safer to do a clean install and then transfer data rather than take a chance of bringing ghosts along from a version that old. 

[quote user=&quot;steveinpittsburgh&quot;]&lt;p&gt;&lt;span style=&quot;font-size: 10pt;&quot;&gt;&quot;...number of Pegasus Mail users you had on the previous installs so I am going to assume it is one.&amp;nbsp; If it is more, the procedures are the same except that you will first need to create additional users in the new install so that they are recorded in the PMAIL.USR file and their mailbox directory is created.&quot;&lt;/span&gt;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&lt;span style=&quot;font-size: 10pt;&quot;&gt;It WAS more - it was two. &amp;nbsp;I see in the old directory structure there are 3 listed: &amp;nbsp;Admin, ellen, and steve. &amp;nbsp;In the new structure there is only Admin (which is really me, Steve.) &amp;nbsp;So do I create just &quot;ellen&quot; in the new install, or should I create &quot;ellen&quot; and &quot;steve&quot;? &amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/span&gt;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;[/quote]&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;If the users in the new install will be the same as the old install then I would create those users (steve and ellen) in the new install.&amp;nbsp; You will then be copying data from old mailbox directory &quot;\steve&quot; to new mailbox directory &quot;\steve&quot; and from old mailbox directory &quot;\ellen&quot; to new mailbox directory &quot;\ellen&quot;.&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;Caissons&#039; point about copying the entire \PMAIL directory from machine to machine is valid IF and only IF it is copied to the same location AND it was not installed inside of a \PROGRAM FILES directory.&amp;nbsp; That said, because you reference v4.41 and v3.12 my assumption is that your XP installation is an upgrade from v3.12 so from my point of view it is safer to do a clean install and then transfer data rather than take a chance of bringing ghosts along from a version that old.&amp;nbsp; &lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;

Following bfluet's directions from 2-19-15 10:21 pm, have almost completed transfer of folders & messages to new 4.63 install on the laptop.  Almost everything seems to be there and working, except for the messages from the 4.41 "copy self" folder.  (Folder exists in the new 4.63 install, but contains only the automatic initial message.)

After doing the transfer, there remain a handful of files from 4.41 that neither exist with exactly the same name, nor does there seem to be a corresponding similar file, in the 4.63 install.  Here they are - should I transfer any of these:

RmtFiles (folder)

3FPCF3C6.PMP

FLSEARCH.PM

PMAILINI.OLD

TCP0001.WPM

TQPYXHGF.$$$

WHITE-M.PM

WINPMFUF.PM

WINPMFUP.PM 

Thanks in advance.

&lt;p&gt;Following bfluet&#039;s directions from 2-19-15 10:21 pm, h&lt;span style=&quot;font-size: 13.3333330154419px;&quot;&gt;ave almost completed transfer of folders &amp;amp; messages to new 4.63 install on the laptop. &amp;nbsp;&lt;/span&gt;&lt;span style=&quot;font-size: 10pt;&quot;&gt;Almost everything seems to be there and working, except for the messages from the 4.41 &quot;copy self&quot; folder. &amp;nbsp;(Folder exists in the new 4.63 install, but contains only the automatic initial message.)&lt;/span&gt;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;After doing the transfer, there remain a handful of files from 4.41 that neither exist with exactly the same name, nor does there seem to be a corresponding similar file, in the 4.63 install. &amp;nbsp;Here they are - should I transfer any of these:&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;RmtFiles (folder)&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;3FPCF3C6.PMP&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;FLSEARCH.PM&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;PMAILINI.OLD&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;TCP0001.WPM&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;TQPYXHGF.$$$&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;WHITE-M.PM&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;WINPMFUF.PM&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;WINPMFUP.PM&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&amp;nbsp;Thanks in advance.&lt;/p&gt;

Upon further reflection... if you're willing to walk me through getting data off the 3.12 / Win95 install, then, unless 4.41 "copy self" = REALLY quick & easy, let's forget about that and get back to 3.12.

&lt;p&gt;&lt;span style=&quot;font-size: 13.3333330154419px;&quot;&gt;Upon further reflection... if you&#039;re willing to walk me through getting data off the 3.12 / Win95 install, then, unless 4.41 &quot;copy self&quot; =&amp;nbsp;&lt;/span&gt;&lt;span style=&quot;font-size: 13.3333330154419px;&quot;&gt;REALLY quick &amp;amp; easy, let&#039;s forget about that and get back to 3.12.&lt;/span&gt;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;

[quote user="steveinpittsburgh"]After doing the transfer, there remain a handful of files from 4.41 that neither exist with exactly the same name, nor does there seem to be a corresponding similar file, in the 4.63 install[/quote]

See here for file types and what they are good for.

&lt;p&gt;[quote user=&quot;steveinpittsburgh&quot;]After doing the transfer, there remain a handful of files from 4.41 that neither exist with exactly the same name, nor does there seem to be a corresponding similar file, in the 4.63 install[/quote]&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;See &lt;a href=&quot;http://www.vandenbogaerde.net/pegasusmail/pf_pmfiles.html&quot; mce_href=&quot;http://www.vandenbogaerde.net/pegasusmail/pf_pmfiles.html&quot;&gt;here&lt;/a&gt; for file types and what they are good for. &lt;/p&gt;
			Michael
--
IERenderer's Homepage
PGP Key ID (RSA 2048): 0xC45D831B
S/MIME Fingerprint: 94C6B471 0C623088 A5B27701 742B8666 3B7E657C

[quote user="steveinpittsburgh"]Upon further reflection... if you're willing to walk me through getting data off the 3.12 / Win95 install, then, unless 4.41 "copy self" = REALLY quick & easy, let's forget about that and get back to 3.12.[/quote]

I am not quite sure about the copyself folder.  If I were you I would copy the copyself.pmm & .pmi file pair from the 4.41 install to a newly created directory (like C:\TEMP\COPYSELF) then add that directory as an added mailbox to the Pegasus Mail file list.  You could then copy all off the messages to the Copyself folder of the new install.  Disconnect the mailbox when done and delete the C:\TEMP\COPYSELF directory

This is also how I would copy data from the 3.12 mailboxes.  Add those mailbox directories as added mailboxes then copy data to the new install mailbox.  Remember that you cannot copy a folder from an added mailbox.  You need to create a destination folder in the new mailbox then move messages to it.

To add a mailbox to the folder list:  When the folder list is the active window you will notice that the "Folder" pull down menu changes to "Folders", click that then select "Add mailbox to list...".  Tick the "Directory path" option, enter the path to the directory, then give it a name (this is what it will be named in the folder list). 

To disconnect an added mailbox:  Right click on the added mailbox in the folder list then select "Disconnect this mailbox".

As for those other files you mentioned, I would disregard them all and and let new ones be created but you could bring over the whitelist and recently used address list if you want.  Here is an explanation of them:

3FPCF3C6.PMP    This is the notepad file, created by tools | notepads
FLSEARCH.PM     Contains the information used in the search drop-down list.
PMAILINI.OLD    I assume this is an old, renamed PMAIL.INI file, disregard
TCP0001.WPM     TCP/IP log file, disregard
TQPYXHGF.$$$    orphaned file, disregard
WHITE-M.PM      global whitelist
WINPMFUA.PM    most recently used addresses
WINPMFUP.PM    most recently used places to store attachments

&lt;p&gt;[quote user=&quot;steveinpittsburgh&quot;]&lt;span style=&quot;font-size: 13.3333330154419px;&quot;&gt;Upon further reflection... if you&#039;re willing to walk me through getting data off the 3.12 / Win95 install, then, unless 4.41 &quot;copy self&quot; =&amp;nbsp;&lt;/span&gt;&lt;span style=&quot;font-size: 13.3333330154419px;&quot;&gt;REALLY quick &amp;amp; easy, let&#039;s forget about that and get back to 3.12.&lt;/span&gt;[/quote]&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;I am not quite sure about the copyself folder.&amp;nbsp; If I were you I would copy the copyself.pmm &amp;amp; .pmi file pair from the 4.41 install to a newly created directory (like C:\TEMP\COPYSELF) then add that directory as an added mailbox to the Pegasus Mail file list.&amp;nbsp; You could then copy all off the messages to the Copyself folder of the new install.&amp;nbsp; Disconnect the mailbox when done and delete the C:\TEMP\COPYSELF directory &lt;/p&gt;This is also how I would copy data from the 3.12 mailboxes.&amp;nbsp; Add those mailbox directories as added mailboxes then copy data to the new install mailbox.&amp;nbsp; Remember that you cannot copy a folder from an added mailbox.&amp;nbsp; You need to create a destination folder in the new mailbox then move messages to it.&lt;p&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;To add a mailbox to the folder list:&amp;nbsp; When the folder list is the active window you will notice that the &quot;Folder&quot; pull down menu changes to &quot;Folders&quot;, click that then select &quot;Add mailbox to list...&quot;.&amp;nbsp; Tick the &quot;Directory path&quot; option, enter the path to the directory, then give it a name (this is what it will be named in the folder list).&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;To disconnect an added mailbox:&amp;nbsp; Right click on the added mailbox in the folder list then select &quot;Disconnect this mailbox&quot;.&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;As for those other files you mentioned, I would disregard them all and and let new ones be created but you could bring over the whitelist and recently used address list if you want.&amp;nbsp; Here is an explanation of them:&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;3FPCF3C6.PMP&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp; This is the notepad file, created by tools | notepads FLSEARCH.PM&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp; Contains the information used in the search drop-down list. PMAILINI.OLD&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp; I assume this is an old, renamed PMAIL.INI file, disregard TCP0001.WPM&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp; TCP/IP log file, disregard TQPYXHGF.$$$&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp; orphaned file, disregard WHITE-M.PM&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp; global whitelist WINPMFUA.PM&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp; most recently used addresses WINPMFUP.PM&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp; most recently used places to store attachments &lt;/p&gt; &lt;p&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;

Thank you, Michael.  I looked there; based on that info I eliminated a couple files (.$$$ and .WPM), and it does not look to me like any of the others would be related to the "copy self" folder.  Please advise if you think otherwise.

Thanks again. 

&lt;p&gt;Thank you, Michael. &amp;nbsp;I looked there; based on that info I eliminated a couple files (.$$$ and .WPM), and it does not look to me like any of the others would be related to the &quot;copy self&quot; folder. &amp;nbsp;Please advise if you think otherwise.&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;Thanks again.&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;

Thanks Brian for info in your post earlier this evening.  I do not have time to sit down & go through that tonight; will be in touch again once I do.

Thanks Brian for info in your post earlier this evening. &amp;nbsp;I do not have time to sit down &amp;amp; go through that tonight; will be in touch again once I do.

Well, after 3-month hiatus, I'm back.  (When I was posting back in February, I was off work due to surgery, & so had more time to work on this.  Then I went back to work full-time.  Now I'm trying to pick up where I left off.) 

Sometime during that hiatus from posting, I did get the copies to self from the 4.41 install successfully copied onto new machine.  However, I don't remember exactly how I did that; and now for some reason I can't seem to get the data from the 3.12 mailboxes.  Seems crazy to me, since it seems like basically the same process. 

Here's what I've done:  I went through your instructions from 3-1-15 17:40 "to add a mailbox to the folder list".  I got to "give it a name", typed in a name and hit "enter", but when that dialog window closed, I was back at the folder list - which did NOT show the name I had just entered.  I tried this several times with same result.  

Then, once, the name I had just entered DID appear in the folder list as a new mailbox.  That was "ellen" from the 3.12 install.  So I tried to repeat that exact process (I had changed how I entered the directory path after the first several attempts - instead of entering manually, this last time I had clicked on the "?" and then picked from the drop-down.)  But... even though it had worked for "ellen", it would not add "steve". 

OK, I think, maybe they have to be done one at a time - maybe I have to finish the "ellen" mailbox, make sure each individual message copied successfully, then delete them from the temporary directory, before adding "steve".  So I go back to the new "ellen" mailbox, within which there is a "new mail" folder... but that folder had no messages in it.  I tried deleting the new "ellen" mailbox... but it wouldn't let me do so.  So I tried deleting the [apparently empty] "new mail" folder.  It gave the usual warning - to prevent accidental disasters you must click "yes I really want to delete this folder", etc.  I clicked "yes I really" etc., & then "ok"... and when that dialog window closed and I was back at the folder list, instead of the "new mail" folder being gone, it was still there AND NOW SHOWED 20 NEW MESSAGES.

So now I'm doubly confused.  Can you help me further?  

&lt;p&gt;Well, after&amp;nbsp;3-month hiatus, I&#039;m back.&amp;nbsp; (When I was posting back in&amp;nbsp;February, I was off work&amp;nbsp;due to surgery, &amp;amp; so had&amp;nbsp;more&amp;nbsp;time&amp;nbsp;to work on this.&amp;nbsp; Then I went back to work full-time.&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;Now I&#039;m trying to pick up where I left off.)&amp;nbsp; &lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;Sometime&amp;nbsp;during that hiatus from posting,&amp;nbsp;I did get&amp;nbsp;the copies to self from the 4.41 install successfully copied onto new machine.&amp;nbsp; However, I&amp;nbsp;don&#039;t remember exactly how I did that; and now for some reason I can&#039;t&amp;nbsp;seem to get the data from the&amp;nbsp;3.12 mailboxes.&amp;nbsp; Seems crazy to me, since it seems like basically the same process.&amp;nbsp; &lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&amp;nbsp;Here&#039;s what I&#039;ve done:&amp;nbsp; I went through your instructions from 3-1-15 17:40&amp;nbsp;&quot;to add a mailbox to the folder list&quot;.&amp;nbsp; I got&amp;nbsp;to &quot;give it a name&quot;,&amp;nbsp;typed in a name and hit &quot;enter&quot;, but when that dialog window&amp;nbsp;closed, I was&amp;nbsp;back at the folder list -&amp;nbsp;which did&amp;nbsp;NOT&amp;nbsp;show the&amp;nbsp;name I had just entered.&amp;nbsp; I tried this several times with same result.&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;Then, once,&amp;nbsp;the name I had just entered DID&amp;nbsp;appear in the folder list as a new mailbox.&amp;nbsp; That was &quot;ellen&quot; from the 3.12 install.&amp;nbsp; So I&amp;nbsp;tried to repeat that&amp;nbsp;exact process&amp;nbsp;(I had changed how I entered the directory path after the first several attempts - instead of entering manually,&amp;nbsp;this last time I had clicked on the &quot;?&quot; and then picked from the drop-down.)&amp;nbsp; But... even though it had worked for &quot;ellen&quot;,&amp;nbsp;it would not&amp;nbsp;add &quot;steve&quot;.&amp;nbsp; &lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;OK, I think, maybe they have to be done one at a time - maybe I have to finish the&amp;nbsp;&quot;ellen&quot; mailbox, make sure each individual message copied successfully,&amp;nbsp;then delete them from the temporary directory, before adding&amp;nbsp;&quot;steve&quot;.&amp;nbsp; So I go back to the new &quot;ellen&quot; mailbox,&amp;nbsp;within which there is&amp;nbsp;a &quot;new mail&quot; folder... but that folder had no messages in it.&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;I tried&amp;nbsp;deleting the new&amp;nbsp;&quot;ellen&quot; mailbox... but&amp;nbsp;it wouldn&#039;t let me&amp;nbsp;do so.&amp;nbsp; So I&amp;nbsp;tried deleting the [apparently empty] &quot;new mail&quot; folder.&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;It gave&amp;nbsp;the usual warning -&amp;nbsp;to prevent accidental disasters you must click &quot;yes I really want to delete this folder&quot;, etc.&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;I clicked &quot;yes I really&quot; etc., &amp;amp; then &quot;ok&quot;... and when that dialog&amp;nbsp;window closed and I was back&amp;nbsp;at the folder list,&amp;nbsp;instead of the &quot;new mail&quot; folder being gone, it was still there AND NOW SHOWED 20 NEW MESSAGES.&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;So now I&#039;m doubly confused.&amp;nbsp; Can you help me further?&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft