Pegasus Mail Suggestions
Pegasus and Google Drive

Hi !

Here is a workaround since it is for personal use only. Pegasus mail can be made portable so you can install it on a USB stick. I think you have to install it at the root of the usb drive. I am not sure of that particular point but have no doubts that someone here will step in to eventually confirm. That being said, for safety reasons regarding your data and because one should never put all her eggs into the same basket, I suggest you install a synchronization software on all your machines, make the installation folder of Pegasus mail in the USB device the "original" folder and all the folders on your other machines the "synching to" folders. Those will never be touched or modified except by synchronization. This way, each time you plug your USB stick, you can read your email and before taking it out, do a one-way synchronization. I recommande Unison as the synchronization program. It is ugly but reliable once you learn how to use it. Plus, it is free and open source.

I hope this helps.

Cheers ! 

<p>Hi !</p><p>Here is a workaround since it is for personal use only. Pegasus mail can be made portable so you can install it on a USB stick. I think you have to install it at the root of the usb drive. I am not sure of that particular point but have no doubts that someone here will step in to eventually confirm. That being said, for safety reasons regarding your data and because one should never put all her eggs into the same basket, I suggest you install a synchronization software on all your machines, make the installation folder of Pegasus mail in the USB device the "original" folder and all the folders on your other machines the "synching to" folders. Those will never be touched or modified except by synchronization. This way, each time you plug your USB stick, you can read your email and before taking it out, do a one-way synchronization. I recommande Unison as the synchronization program. It is ugly but reliable once you learn how to use it. Plus, it is free and open source.</p><p>I hope this helps.</p><p>Cheers !  </p>

Not an expert, just an user for many year and still love this mail program. It will be a little long this question, as otherwise I can not explain my "problem" precisely.

I would like to use Pegasus mail in Windows 10 and Google Drive without the need to synchronize between different laptops and tablet with and USB. Therefore,

1) I installed Pegasus program and associated mail folder in my Google Drive directory (ej. C:\My files) in PC 1, work.

2) I allowed to synchronize to the drive cloud

3) I exited from Google Drive.

4) I then installed the program in a similar-in-name Google drive directory in  PC 2 (personal laptop) (that is, C:\My files) without Internet connection (Airplane mode)

5) I immediately deleted all the files from this PC 2 so that no files were left but parameters for windows were similar to PC1

6) I then started Drive here and my Wifi Connection (I said C:\My files was my Google Drive directory also and allowed synchronization to occur.

PERFECT !. In this way I am able to synchronize without files duplication the mail and program folders between both laptops and there is no problem provided I do not simultaneously use both PCs (no problem, they are personal). 

HOWEVER, and here is where I find the problem, I store files from more than 10 years, which means some folders are big (300 MB). If I change or simply open this folder in Laptop1, then it will be synchronized to Laptop 2, even if I simply have a look to a old mail, as the windows attributes (access time, size or whatever) change. Then, it takes a lot of time to synchronize, I saturate my home Wifi connection and all my family blames me.

The first option, divorce, is not considered after many years of marriage. Not for this, at least (jj).

I have tried to move old mails (lets say, for example, older than one year) to a Archive folder (History, ej). Therefore, new mail is always quite small. However, this is not the best solution as sometime, even searching within old folders changes windows attributes of some big files and it takes a lot of time synchronization in Drive which is rather slow. I can certainly limit the bandwidth of Drive synchronization so that I do not abuse of my family. But then, it takes much longer and probably 30 - 60 minutes which is not practical. 

Does any one know any solution for this ?

I was thinking that maybe it cold be programmed by gurus a mechanism to store individual mails separately even in folders so that synchronization would be quick (only changed or added mails). Or scripts to record what is done in one session (PC1) and translate to the second (PC2). Maybe all this is stupid but mu expertise is not a lot. 

I am not a programmer, just a user that really loves this program and would like to keep using it incorporated in the Cloud services efficiently.

Thanks to D. Harris for all his work and thanks to you all for any suggestions.

<p>Not an expert, just an user f<span style="font-size: 10pt;">or many year and still love this mail program. It will be a little long this question, as otherwise I can not explain my "problem" precisely.</span></p><p>I would like to use Pegasus mail in Windows 10 and Google Drive without the need to synchronize between different laptops and tablet with and USB. Therefore, </p><p>1) I installed Pegasus program and associated mail folder in my Google Drive directory (ej. C:\My files) in <b>PC 1, work</b>. </p><p>2) I allowed to synchronize to the drive cloud </p><p>3) I exited from Google Drive. </p><p>4) I then installed the program in a similar-in-name Google drive directory in  <b>PC 2</b> (personal laptop) (that is, C:\My files) without Internet connection (Airplane mode)</p><p>5) I immediately deleted all the files from this PC 2 so that no files were left but parameters for windows were similar to PC1</p><p>6) I then started Drive here and my Wifi Connection (I said C:\My files was my Google Drive directory also and allowed synchronization to occur. </p><p>PERFECT !. In this way I am able to synchronize without files duplication the mail and program folders between both laptops and there is no problem provided I do not simultaneously use both PCs (no problem, they are personal). </p><p>HOWEVER, and here is where I find the problem, I store files from more than 10 years, which means some folders are big (300 MB). If I change or simply open this folder in Laptop1, then it will be synchronized to Laptop 2, even if I simply have a look to a old mail, as the windows attributes (access time, size or whatever) change. Then, it takes a lot of time to synchronize, I saturate my home Wifi connection and all my family blames me.</p><p>The first option, divorce, is not considered after many years of marriage. Not for this, at least (jj).</p><p>I have tried to move old mails (lets say, for example, older than one year) to a Archive folder (History, ej). Therefore, new mail is always quite small. However, this is not the best solution as sometime, even searching within old folders changes windows attributes of some big files and it takes a lot of time synchronization in Drive which is rather slow. I can certainly limit the bandwidth of Drive synchronization so that I do not abuse of my family. But then, it takes much longer and probably 30 - 60 minutes which is not practical. </p><p><span style="font-size: 10pt;">Does any one know any solution for this ?</span></p><p><span style="font-size: 10pt;">I was thinking that maybe it cold be programmed by gurus a mechanism to store individual mails separately even in folders so that synchronization would be quick (only changed or added mails). Or scripts to record what is done in one session (PC1) and translate to the second (PC2). Maybe all this is stupid but mu expertise is not a lot. </span></p><p>I am not a programmer, just a user that really loves this program and would like to keep using it incorporated in the Cloud services efficiently.</p><p>Thanks to D. Harris for all his work and thanks to you all for any suggestions. </p><p> </p><p> </p><p> </p>

Here is my two cents...

I don't specifically know how Google Drive work or whether you can manually trigger the syncs but a concern about any sort of syncing is that it can interfere with the normal operation of Pegasus Mail.  As a long time user I am sure that you know how Pegasus Mail updates configuration files on startup and shutdown and reindexes folder automatically or on demand.  Successful reading/writing is dependent on the files not being interfered with.  Automated syncing tends to want to grab a file as soon as it is modified potentially grabbing it before Pegasus Mail has completed. This is the same issue that drives the advice to exclude Pegasus Mail files from active scanning.

I think you would be better off with your mail somewhere out on a server and accessing it via IMAP from your various devices.  This would require a cutoff point where existing mail is on both machines but all future activity is via IMAP.  Running your own Mercury mail server might be worth consideration, especially if you have multiple hosted email accounts. 

I have attempted leaving mail on the servers and downloading it with each device, but copies to self are an issue as is the eventual need to delete on the server is a pain.  I am not a fan of IMAP but acknowledge the benefit of being able to access the same mail from multiple devices.

As for the syncing of large files, I don't know of a work around. We use Dropbox at the office and had to disable syncing on a number of PCs because of the overhead in both bandwidth and PC performance degradation.  Now only two PC's are synced and I suspect those users co-ordinate with each other about when they add/delete files in their Dropbox directory.  Large photo files are the worst.  I think they have finally gotten in the habit of resizing them first.

<p>Here is my two cents...</p><p> I don't specifically know how Google Drive work or whether you can manually trigger the syncs but a concern about any sort of syncing is that it can interfere with the normal operation of Pegasus Mail.  As a long time user I am sure that you know how Pegasus Mail updates configuration files on startup and shutdown and reindexes folder automatically or on demand.  Successful reading/writing is dependent on the files not being interfered with.  Automated syncing tends to want to grab a file as soon as it is modified potentially grabbing it before Pegasus Mail has completed. This is the same issue that drives the advice to exclude Pegasus Mail files from active scanning. </p><p>I think you would be better off with your mail somewhere out on a server and accessing it via IMAP from your various devices.  This would require a cutoff point where existing mail is on both machines but all future activity is via IMAP.  Running your own Mercury mail server might be worth consideration, especially if you have multiple hosted email accounts.  </p><p>I have attempted leaving mail on the servers and downloading it with each device, but copies to self are an issue as is the eventual need to delete on the server is a pain.  I am not a fan of IMAP but acknowledge the benefit of being able to access the same mail from multiple devices. </p><p>As for the syncing of large files, I don't know of a work around. We use Dropbox at the office and had to disable syncing on a number of PCs because of the overhead in both bandwidth and PC performance degradation.  Now only two PC's are synced and I suspect those users co-ordinate with each other about when they add/delete files in their Dropbox directory.  Large photo files are the worst.  I think they have finally gotten in the habit of resizing them first. </p>
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft