mailto problems

A complete html-, and text-message looks like this:

Subject: test

Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2007 17:29:08 +0200

Organization: Petena AB

MIME-Version: 1.0

Content-Type: multipart/alternative;

boundary="----=_NextPart_000_0015_01C773BA.16CB1DF0"

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.

------=_NextPart_000_0015_01C773BA.16CB1DF0

Content-Type: text/plain;

charset="iso-8859-1"

Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

testeteb

------=_NextPart_000_0015_01C773BA.16CB1DF0
Content-Type: text/html;
 charset="iso-8859-1"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN">
<HTML><HEAD>
<META http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html; =
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<META content=3D"MSHTML 6.00.6000.16525" name=3DGENERATOR></HEAD>
<BODY>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2><SPAN=20
class=3D359592815-31032007>testeteb</SPAN></FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0015_01C773BA.16CB1DF0--

&lt;P&gt;A complete html-, and text-message looks like this:&lt;/P&gt;&lt;PRE&gt;Subject: test Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2007 17:29:08 +0200 Organization: Petena AB MIME-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary=&quot;----=_NextPart_000_0015_01C773BA.16CB1DF0&quot; This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0015_01C773BA.16CB1DF0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=&quot;iso-8859-1&quot; Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit testeteb ------=_NextPart_000_0015_01C773BA.16CB1DF0 Content-Type: text/html; &amp;nbsp;charset=&quot;iso-8859-1&quot; Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable &lt;P mce_keep=&quot;true&quot;&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/P&gt; &lt;P&gt;&amp;lt;!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC &quot;-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN&quot;&amp;gt; &amp;lt;HTML&amp;gt;&amp;lt;HEAD&amp;gt; &amp;lt;META http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D&quot;text/html; = charset=3Diso-8859-1&quot;&amp;gt; &amp;lt;META content=3D&quot;MSHTML 6.00.6000.16525&quot; name=3DGENERATOR&amp;gt;&amp;lt;/HEAD&amp;gt; &amp;lt;BODY&amp;gt; &amp;lt;DIV&amp;gt;&amp;lt;FONT face=3DArial size=3D2&amp;gt;&amp;lt;SPAN=20 class=3D359592815-31032007&amp;gt;testeteb&amp;lt;/SPAN&amp;gt;&amp;lt;/FONT&amp;gt;&amp;lt;/DIV&amp;gt;&amp;lt;/BODY&amp;gt;&amp;lt;/HTML&amp;gt;&lt;/P&gt; &lt;P mce_keep=&quot;true&quot;&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/P&gt; &lt;P&gt;------=_NextPart_000_0015_01C773BA.16CB1DF0--&lt;/P&gt; &lt;/PRE&gt;

Hello everyone,

I am new to this forum. I was trying to find an answer to my problem.

I have a maintenance work order system that uses email to generate work orders using a Pmail template , visual basic and office 2000. I am trying to generate a mail message to have the originators of the work orders "sign off" (verify the work order is complete) individual work orders. I am running a visual basic app to generate the mail message and smtp to send it. I want to have two mailto links in the message , one to sign off the work order the other to indicate the work order hasn't been completed. I would also like to have a link to the work order in the message. 

**mail message below 

PLEASE DO NOT CHANGE THE SUBJECT LINE OF THE AUTOMATICALLY GENERATED MESSAGE !!!

Requestor : Danny Sperry

Equipment : something broken.

Problem : repair the damn thing

Work order number 0708241334

day:\\f:\shared\mfg_eng\maintenance\newmwo\scaned\0708241334.tif   < -- link to the scanned work order  doesn't work

doubleclick the link below to confirm completion

you can add comments then hit send

mailto:mwo?Subject=MWO##%20signoff%20signoff%20MWO#%200708241334

doubleclick the link below to deny completion

you can add comments then hit send

mailto:mwo?Subject=MWO##%20NOT%20DONE?Body=MWO#%200708241334%20is%20not%20done

**** end of mail message

The mailto links work ok in pegasus (4.0) . The problem is they can only be so long. It's not a fixed number length but somewhere around 80 chadacters. Of the above links in the message both wrap around loosing the hyperlink formatting. The second message wraps the "e" of the word "done". Is there someway to make the links longer ?? I would like for them to be at least twice as long so I can pass enough information in the program generated message. Also , I would prefer that the links be simple "yes" or "no" links rather than what shows in the email. I tried generating a link in a test message then cut and pasting the "raw view " in another new message to see how to make a hyperlink with HTML but that didn't work.

Finally , is there a way to make a hyperlink in the message that links to the scanned work order like in the above message ??

Thanks ahead of time

&lt;P&gt;Hello everyone,&lt;/P&gt; &lt;P&gt;&amp;nbsp; I am new to this forum. I was trying to find&amp;nbsp;an answer to my problem.&lt;/P&gt; &lt;P&gt;&amp;nbsp; I have a maintenance work order system that uses email to generate work orders using a Pmail template , visual basic and office 2000. I am trying to generate a mail message to have the originators of the work orders &quot;sign off&quot; (verify the work order is complete) individual work orders. I am running a visual basic app to generate the mail message and smtp to send it. I want to have&amp;nbsp;two mailto links in the message , one to sign off the work order the other to indicate the work order hasn&#039;t been completed. I would also like to have a link to the&amp;nbsp;work order in the message.&amp;nbsp;&lt;/P&gt;&lt;FONT size=2&gt; &lt;P align=left&gt;**mail message below&amp;nbsp;&lt;/P&gt; &lt;P align=left&gt;PLEASE DO NOT CHANGE THE SUBJECT LINE OF THE AUTOMATICALLY GENERATED MESSAGE !!!&lt;/P&gt; &lt;P align=left&gt;Requestor : Danny Sperry &lt;/P&gt; &lt;P align=left&gt;Equipment :&amp;nbsp;something broken.&lt;/P&gt; &lt;P align=left&gt;Problem : repair the damn thing &lt;/P&gt; &lt;P align=left&gt;Work order number 0708241334 &lt;/P&gt; &lt;P align=left mce_keep=&quot;true&quot;&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/P&gt; &lt;P align=left mce_keep=&quot;true&quot;&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/P&gt; &lt;P align=left&gt;day:\\f:\shared\mfg_eng\maintenance\newmwo\scaned\0708241334.tif&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp; &amp;lt; -- link to the scanned work order&amp;nbsp; doesn&#039;t work&lt;/P&gt; &lt;P align=left mce_keep=&quot;true&quot;&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/P&gt; &lt;P align=left&gt;doubleclick the link below to confirm completion &lt;/P&gt; &lt;P align=left&gt;you can add comments then hit send &lt;/P&gt; &lt;P align=left mce_keep=&quot;true&quot;&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/P&gt;&lt;/FONT&gt;&lt;U&gt;&lt;FONT color=#0000ff size=2&gt; &lt;P align=left&gt;mailto:mwo?Subject=MWO##%20signoff%20signoff%20MWO#%200708241334&lt;/U&gt;&lt;/FONT&gt;&lt;FONT size=2&gt;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp; &lt;/P&gt; &lt;P align=left mce_keep=&quot;true&quot;&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/P&gt; &lt;P align=left mce_keep=&quot;true&quot;&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/P&gt; &lt;P align=left&gt;doubleclick the link below to deny completion &lt;/P&gt; &lt;P align=left&gt;you can add comments then hit send &lt;/P&gt; &lt;P align=left mce_keep=&quot;true&quot;&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/P&gt;&lt;/FONT&gt;&lt;U&gt;&lt;FONT color=#0000ff size=2&gt; &lt;P align=left&gt;&lt;A href=&quot;mailto:mwo?Subject=MWO##%20NOT%20DONE?Body=MWO#%200708241334%20is%20not%20done&quot;&gt;mailto:mwo?Subject=MWO##%20NOT%20DONE?Body=MWO#%200708241334%20is%20not%20done&lt;/A&gt;&lt;/U&gt;&lt;/FONT&gt;&lt;FONT size=2&gt; &lt;/FONT&gt;&lt;/P&gt; &lt;P align=left&gt;&lt;FONT size=2&gt;**** end of mail message&lt;/P&gt; &lt;P align=left mce_keep=&quot;true&quot;&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/P&gt; &lt;P align=left&gt;The mailto links work ok in pegasus (4.0) . The problem is they can only be so long. It&#039;s not a fixed number length but somewhere around 80 chadacters. Of the above links in the message both wrap around loosing the hyperlink formatting. The second message wraps the &quot;e&quot; of the word &quot;done&quot;. Is there someway to make the links longer ?? I would like for them to be at least twice as long so I can pass enough information in the program generated message. Also , I would prefer that the links be simple &quot;yes&quot; or &quot;no&quot; links rather than what shows in the email. I tried generating a link in a test message then cut and pasting the &quot;raw view &quot; in another new message to see how to make a hyperlink with HTML but that didn&#039;t work.&lt;/P&gt; &lt;P align=left&gt;Finally , is there a way to make a hyperlink in the message that links to the scanned work order like in the above message ??&lt;/P&gt; &lt;P align=left&gt;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp; Thanks ahead of time&lt;/P&gt;&lt;/FONT&gt;

If you create html-messages, there is no limit in html on how long a line is to be. If you only create a line with mailto:blablabla and have the client format this, you may get errors with a lot of clients. If you however wrap the mailto in a proper html syntax, with <a href="mailto:kskjfksslskjlfd" > deny completion </a> the text within the quotes shall be read by any html-parser until the end quote is found, meaning regardless if a mail-client breaks the lines into several lines.

If you create html-messages, there is no limit in html on how long a line is to be. If you only create a line with &lt;A href=&quot;mailto:blablabla&quot;&gt;mailto:blablabla&lt;/A&gt; and have the client format this, you may get errors with a lot of clients. If you however wrap the mailto in a proper html syntax, with &amp;lt;a href=&quot;mailto:kskjfksslskjlfd&quot; &amp;gt;&amp;nbsp;deny completion&amp;nbsp;&amp;lt;/a&amp;gt; the text within the quotes shall be read by any html-parser until the end quote is found, meaning regardless if a mail-client breaks the lines into several lines.

Peter , \

What is the best way to create an HTML document ? I thought that when I generated the link in Pegasus then went to raw view I was looking at HTML ?

Dan Sperry

&lt;P&gt;Peter , \&lt;/P&gt; &lt;P&gt;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp; What is the best way to create an HTML document ? I thought that when I generated the link in Pegasus then went to raw view I was looking at HTML ?&lt;/P&gt; &lt;P&gt;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp; Dan Sperry&lt;/P&gt;

I haven't worked with Pegasus Mail templates, only with CDO under IIS.

I haven&#039;t worked with Pegasus Mail templates, only with CDO under IIS.

Peter ,

If I type an HTML program in Pegasus it just shows the Ascii characters I typed , not the interpreted HTML commands.

How can I get Pegasus to interpret the HTML code.

Dan S   

&lt;P&gt;Peter ,&lt;/P&gt; &lt;P&gt;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp; If I type an HTML&amp;nbsp;program in Pegasus it&amp;nbsp;just shows the Ascii characters I typed , not the interpreted HTML commands.&lt;/P&gt; &lt;P&gt;How can I get Pegasus to interpret the HTML code.&lt;/P&gt; &lt;P&gt;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp; Dan S&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/P&gt;

In short you can't.  Pegasus Mail does not use an html editor. Pegasus Mail uses an RTF editor called TER. So when you compose a "rich-text" message you can markup your message with basic character and paragraph formatting (also included is ability to create tables and bulleted lists etc).  Then just to complicate things, when you click the send button, this RTF is converted to html by Pegasus Mail.

You are of course free to create html attachments using any tool you like. 

Martin 

&lt;p&gt;In short you can&#039;t.&amp;nbsp; Pegasus Mail does not use an html editor. Pegasus Mail uses an RTF editor called TER. So when you compose a &quot;rich-text&quot; message you can markup your message with basic character and paragraph formatting (also included is ability to create tables and bulleted lists etc).&amp;nbsp; Then just to complicate things, when you click the send button, this RTF is converted to html by Pegasus Mail. &lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;You are of course free to create html attachments using any tool you like.&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;Martin&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;

irelam ,

I am generating a mail message with Visual Basic 6.0 and standard ascii strings then sending the composed message to any of many Pegasus client users. I am trying to put HTML commands  in the message but when they come into Pegasus the HTML is not interpretted it appears as the ascii strings generated. Below is a simple hyperlink generated by Pegasus:<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN"
          "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">
<html  xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" xml:lang="en" lang="en"><head>
<title></title>
<meta http-equiv="content-type" content="text/html;charset=utf-8"/>
<meta http-equiv="Content-Style-Type" content="text/css"/>
</head>
<body>
<div align="left">
<a href="http://google.com">
<font face="Arial" color="#0000ff" size="2">
<span style=" font-size:10pt">
<u>dan</u>
</span>
</font>
</a>
</div>
</body>
</html>
   It appears like it does above but if I save the above to a file and open it with internet explorer all I see is the link to google named "dan"

What makes the Pegasus reader start interpretting HTML ????  I'm not using the Pegasus editor to generate the message only to read it !!

Thanks    Dan S

&lt;P&gt;irelam ,&lt;/P&gt; &lt;P&gt;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp; I am generating a mail message with Visual Basic 6.0 and standard ascii strings then sending the composed message to any of many Pegasus client users. I am trying to put HTML commands&amp;nbsp; in the message but when they come into Pegasus the HTML is not interpretted it appears as the ascii strings generated. Below is a simple hyperlink generated by Pegasus:&amp;lt;!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC &quot;-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN&quot; &amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp; &quot;&lt;A href=&quot;http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd&quot;&gt;http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd&lt;/A&gt;&quot;&amp;gt; &amp;lt;html&amp;nbsp; xmlns=&quot;&lt;A href=&quot;http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml&quot;&gt;http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml&lt;/A&gt;&quot; xml:lang=&quot;en&quot; lang=&quot;en&quot;&amp;gt;&amp;lt;head&amp;gt; &amp;lt;title&amp;gt;&amp;lt;/title&amp;gt; &amp;lt;meta http-equiv=&quot;content-type&quot; content=&quot;text/html;charset=utf-8&quot;/&amp;gt; &amp;lt;meta http-equiv=&quot;Content-Style-Type&quot; content=&quot;text/css&quot;/&amp;gt; &amp;lt;/head&amp;gt; &amp;lt;body&amp;gt; &amp;lt;div align=&quot;left&quot;&amp;gt; &amp;lt;a href=&quot;&lt;A href=&quot;http://google.com/&quot;&gt;http://google.com&lt;/A&gt;&quot;&amp;gt; &amp;lt;font face=&quot;Arial&quot; color=&quot;#0000ff&quot; size=&quot;2&quot;&amp;gt; &amp;lt;span style=&quot; font-size:10pt&quot;&amp;gt; &amp;lt;u&amp;gt;dan&amp;lt;/u&amp;gt; &amp;lt;/span&amp;gt; &amp;lt;/font&amp;gt; &amp;lt;/a&amp;gt; &amp;lt;/div&amp;gt; &amp;lt;/body&amp;gt; &amp;lt;/html&amp;gt; &amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp; It appears like it does above but if I save the above to a file and open it with internet explorer all I see is the link to google named &quot;dan&quot;&lt;/P&gt; &lt;P&gt;What makes the Pegasus reader start interpretting HTML ????&amp;nbsp; I&#039;m not using the Pegasus editor to generate the message only to read it !!&lt;/P&gt; &lt;P&gt;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp; Thanks&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp; Dan S&lt;/P&gt; &lt;P mce_keep=&quot;true&quot;&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/P&gt;

This is getting a little confusing.  Pegasus Mail will only start interpreting an incoming message as html if it is told by the Mime headers that the Content-type is text/html. To send an html stream as visible text you would need to declare the mime header, content-type as text/plain

Martin 

&lt;p&gt;This is getting a little confusing.&amp;nbsp; Pegasus Mail will only start interpreting an incoming message as html if it is told by the Mime headers that the Content-type is text/html. To send an html stream as visible text you would need to declare the mime header, content-type as text/plain&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;Martin&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;

irelam,

I think that's what I didn't understand , the mime header. What does it have to be to tell Pegasus its HTML ?

Dan S

&lt;P&gt;irelam, &lt;/P&gt; &lt;P&gt;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp; I think that&#039;s what I didn&#039;t understand , the mime header. What does it have to be to tell Pegasus its HTML ?&lt;/P&gt; &lt;P mce_keep=&quot;true&quot;&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/P&gt; &lt;P&gt;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp; Dan S&lt;/P&gt;
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft