Community Discussions and Support
How to hide that Mercury is the MTA?

No, you can't suppress these identification items. In actual fact, you wouldn't achieve much even if you could do this - all mail servers have "fingerprints" that are easy enough to track: variations in error strings, responses to different commands and so on.

The version information in the Received: header is very useful to me when doing support and maintenance, and I would be reluctant to remove it.

Cheers!

-- David --

No, you can't suppress these identification items. In actual fact, you wouldn't achieve much even if you could do this - all mail servers have "fingerprints" that are easy enough to track: variations in error strings, responses to different commands and so on. The version information in the Received: header is very useful to me when doing support and maintenance, and I would be reluctant to remove it. Cheers! -- David --

Dear Mercury support, 

Just upgraded for security reasons from 4.10 to 4.52, everything seems to work great!
In general it is wise to hide make/version of one's MTA, to make things for crackers a bit more difficult.
So, I have adapted my smtp greeting as you can see in the snippet below:

220 myhost.mydomain.my ESMTP server ready.

However, at least two other places remain where evidence of mercury is still shown:

1) After typing help command the term 'Maiser' is shown, that's a clear indication of Mercury:

help

214-Recognized SMTP commands are:

214-   HELO   EHLO   MAIL   RCPT   DATA   RSET

214-   AUTH   NOOP   QUIT   HELP   VRFY   SOML

214 Mail server account is 'Maiser'.

Can the last line be altered/removed?

2) Received headers in mail sent out still have ... by myhost.mydomain.my (Mercury/32 v4.52) with ESMTP ...

Can the MTA identification string be altered?

Regards, mel.

<p>Dear Mercury support, </p><p>Just upgraded for security reasons from 4.10 to 4.52, everything seems to work great! In general it is wise to hide make/version of one's MTA, to make things for crackers a bit more difficult. So, I have adapted my smtp greeting as you can see in the snippet below: 220 myhost.mydomain.my ESMTP server ready. However, at least two other places remain where evidence of mercury is still shown:</p><p>1) After typing help command the term 'Maiser' is shown, that's a clear indication of Mercury:</p><p>help 214-Recognized SMTP commands are: 214-   HELO   EHLO   MAIL   RCPT   DATA   RSET 214-   AUTH   NOOP   QUIT   HELP   VRFY   SOML 214 Mail server account is 'Maiser'.</p><p>Can the last line be altered/removed? 2) Received headers in mail sent out still have ... by myhost.mydomain.my (Mercury/32 v4.52) with ESMTP ... </p><p>Can the MTA identification string be altered? </p><p>  Regards, mel. </p>
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft