Community Discussions and Support
Pegasus Mail and Vista (quirks and annoyances)

Perhaps you can use Process Explorer to obtain more detailed information about where exactly it's having problems? Right clicking on winpm-32.exe in Process Explorer and opening properties should give you a tabbed window with a lot of information. The "Threads" tab may be able to isolate a particular thread that is hogging the CPU - I generally see about five threads that are related to Pegasus Mail.

Perhaps you can use <a href="http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896653.aspx" mce_href="http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896653.aspx">Process Explorer</a> to obtain more detailed information about where exactly it's having problems? Right clicking on winpm-32.exe in Process Explorer and opening properties should give you a tabbed window with a lot of information. The "Threads" tab may be able to isolate a particular thread that is hogging the CPU - I generally see about five threads that are related to Pegasus Mail.

I have noticed several quirks with apps on Vista that also effect Pegasus Mail.   I thought a thread to discuss what I and others have found would be handy.

Probably the biggest Feature (Annoyance) with Vista has to do with running software from other than local drives.  Vista trusts programs on removable drives/media  and network servers less.   Because of that you have to run Pegasus Mail as Administrator if its on a thumb drive in -roam mode.    It will run without Administrator but often will have messages that have no text in the reader pane (you can see the whole message under Raw View).   In Run as Administrator mode it works normal.   This happens with v4.41 but I suspect all versions are effected.

Are there any other Vista quirks people have found so far?

<p>I have noticed several quirks with apps on Vista that also effect Pegasus Mail.   I thought a thread to discuss what I and others have found would be handy.</p><p>Probably the biggest Feature (Annoyance) with Vista has to do with running software from other than local drives.  Vista trusts programs on removable drives/media  and network servers less.   Because of that you have to run Pegasus Mail as Administrator if its on a thumb drive in -roam mode.    It will run without Administrator but often will have messages that have no text in the reader pane (you can see the whole message under Raw View).   In Run as Administrator mode it works normal.   This happens with v4.41 but I suspect all versions are effected. </p><p>  Are there any other Vista quirks people have found so far?  </p>

The problem I have is that I cannot get Pegasus to work over a Novell network in Windows Vista.  All I get is blue screens everytime it loads.  I'm beginning to think it just won't work at all or that it's a limitation of the Novell technology preview that I am using.

Any further help would be very much appreciated

<P>The problem I have is that I cannot get Pegasus to work over a Novell network in Windows Vista.  All I get is blue screens everytime it loads.  I'm beginning to think it just won't work at all or that it's a limitation of the Novell technology preview that I am using.</P> <P mce_keep="true"> </P> <P>Any further help would be very much appreciated</P>

Which Novell Client are you using?  There is some discussion as to which is OK for Vista.

Which Novell Client are you using?  There is some discussion as to which is OK for Vista.

Under Vista at times Pegasus will stop functioning normally (ie. mail will no longer send/receive) and take up close to 100% CPU, although you can continue reading messages and compose them and add to the queue.  When you quit the application, the pmail process remains and takes up 100% CPU.  Once you end the process in Task Manager, you can re-launch Pegasus and continue as per usual.  Very annoying as this 'bug' has caused my machine to overheat a few times now by keeping the CPU pegged at 100% for so long when it really isn't doing anything.

Under Vista at times Pegasus will stop functioning normally (ie. mail will no longer send/receive) and take up close to 100% CPU, although you can continue reading messages and compose them and add to the queue.  When you quit the application, the pmail process remains and takes up 100% CPU.  Once you end the process in Task Manager, you can re-launch Pegasus and continue as per usual.  Very annoying as this 'bug' has caused my machine to overheat a few times now by keeping the CPU pegged at 100% for so long when it really isn't <i>doing </i>anything.

I wouldn't be surprised if it is because of the beta client.  I can run it from a Windows 2003 server and get the same effect I do with the -roam version off a thumb drive.

Microsoft didn't give Novell the same quality connections to hook into in Vista that existed in XP so I expect that road to a good client to be a bumpy one. 

<p>I wouldn't be surprised if it is because of the beta client.  I can run it from a Windows 2003 server and get the same effect I do with the -roam version off a thumb drive.</p><p>Microsoft didn't give Novell the same quality connections to hook into in Vista that existed in XP so I expect that road to a good client to be a bumpy one. </p>

"amrikr wrote the following post at 05-15-2007 22:25:

Under Vista at times Pegasus will stop functioning normally (ie. mail

will no longer send/receive) and take up close to 100% CPU, although

you can continue reading messages and compose them and add to the

queue.  When you quit the application, the pmail process remains and

takes up 100% CPU.  Once you end the process in Task Manager, you can

re-launch Pegasus and continue as per usual.  Very annoying as this

'bug' has caused my machine to overheat a few times now by keeping the

CPU pegged at 100% for so long when it really isn't doing anything."

Are you using Pegasus Mail 4.41?   Did you try setting it in the properties of the shortcut icon to Windows XP SP2 compatibility code?

When using 4.41 on earlier builds I had to do that or would see some of what you are describing.  Since I have been using the shipping version of Vista,  I have been working on the current VC Beta code David has supplied the beta team (is rough in other places but stable, far from releasable) that is compiled with Visual C instead of Borland C that 4.41 is built on.   The VC version is faster and doesn't show the CPU Usage problems.  

Give XP Compatibility mode a try and let us know what you see?   Sadly Vista is a learning experiance for everyone involved.

<p><strong>"amrikr wrote the following post at 05-15-2007 22:25:</strong> Under Vista at times Pegasus will stop functioning normally (ie. mail will no longer send/receive) and take up close to 100% CPU, although you can continue reading messages and compose them and add to the queue.  When you quit the application, the pmail process remains and takes up 100% CPU.  Once you end the process in Task Manager, you can re-launch Pegasus and continue as per usual.  Very annoying as this 'bug' has caused my machine to overheat a few times now by keeping the CPU pegged at 100% for so long when it really isn't <i>doing </i>anything."</p><p> </p><p>Are you using Pegasus Mail 4.41?   Did you try setting it in the properties of the shortcut icon to Windows XP SP2 compatibility code?</p><p>When using 4.41 on earlier builds I had to do that or would see some of what you are describing.  Since I have been using the shipping version of Vista,  I have been working on the current VC Beta code David has supplied the beta team (is rough in other places but stable, far from releasable) that is compiled with Visual C instead of Borland C that 4.41 is built on.   The VC version is faster and doesn't show the CPU Usage problems.   </p><p>Give XP Compatibility mode a try and let us know what you see?   Sadly Vista is a learning experiance for everyone involved.  </p>

Thanks for the quick responses!  This is with Pegasus 4.41, but I had not turned Compatibility mode on.  I'll do that now and report back if I still have the issue occur.  So far, so good.  Thanks!

Thanks for the quick responses!  This is with Pegasus 4.41, but I had not turned Compatibility mode on.  I'll do that now and report back if I still have the issue occur.  So far, so good.  Thanks!

Has any an idea as to when Pegasus Mail will be ready for the amazing Windows Vista?

(Perchance this note is not seen by anyone, please advise me immediately ... thanks) 

<p>Has any an idea as to when Pegasus Mail will be ready for the amazing Windows Vista? </p><p> </p><p>(Perchance this note is not seen by anyone, please advise me immediately ... thanks) </p>

[quote user="RIPSNORT"]

Has any an idea as to when Pegasus Mail will be ready for the amazing Windows Vista?

(Perchance this note is not seen by anyone, please advise me immediately ... thanks) 

[/quote]

Depends on what you define as ready.  Many of us use it now once we tweak the program properties.   Is why I said Annoyances and in fact most of the annoyances are things that may never be fixed as MS considers the behavior a "Feature".    The only real problem I know of is the help feature and David Harris is working on that but has to rewrite his help system.   Dates are not something anyone will give at this time.  Especially since Pegasus Mail does Function but without help. 

In the FAQ is the steps to reinstall a working Windows Help so the help feature does work.  So it can be fixed by a user, but is not a automatic install.   This same help problem effects tons of programs and is not unique to Pegasus Mail. 

[quote user="RIPSNORT"]<p>Has any an idea as to when Pegasus Mail will be ready for the amazing Windows Vista? </p><p> </p><p>(Perchance this note is not seen by anyone, please advise me immediately ... thanks) </p><p>[/quote]</p><p> </p><p>Depends on what you define as ready.  Many of us use it now once we tweak the program properties.   Is why I said Annoyances and in fact most of the annoyances are things that may never be fixed as MS considers the behavior a "Feature".    The only real problem I know of is the help feature and David Harris is working on that but has to rewrite his help system.   Dates are not something anyone will give at this time.  Especially since Pegasus Mail does Function but without help. </p><p>In the FAQ is the steps to reinstall a working Windows Help so the help feature does work.  So it can be fixed by a user, but is not a automatic install.   This same help problem effects tons of programs and is not unique to Pegasus Mail. </p><p> </p>

Thank you for the reply. By the *ready* I mean "does it work with Vista" and lo & behold ... you have answered the question.

The *help* within Pegasus is less than minor for myself ... if the program itself works with Vista, this is a plus.

Thank you again for your reply.  

<p>Thank you for the reply. By the *ready* I mean "does it work with Vista" and lo & behold ... you have answered the question.</p><p>The *help* within Pegasus is less than minor for myself ... if the program itself works with Vista, this is a plus. </p><p>Thank you again for your reply.  </p>

Hi again, I've tried with Compatibility mode turned on, and frankly it's made things much worse.  Now it still pegs the CPU at 100%, BUT, in Task Manager it no longer shows the Pegasus process and causes the machine to become unoperable.  I'm reverting back to regular mode as I've had to hit the physical power switch on the machine several times now because of this issue.

One thing that I forgot to mention before but remembered now is that I also get an error in Pegasus that says "Unable to initialize printer" when I'm just viewing a message; this occurs sometimes just before it goes into the whole 100% CPU usage mode, but not every time.  It's an error that comes up where I can press the OK button, but even though I press it, another identical box just pops right up behind it so it's never ending.  I end up having to close my mailboxes in Pegasus, then quitting.  It usually pops up with a message that says the product quit unexpectedly.

Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks again! 

<p>Hi again, I've tried with Compatibility mode turned on, and frankly it's made things much worse.  Now it still pegs the CPU at 100%, BUT, in Task Manager it no longer shows the Pegasus process and causes the machine to become unoperable.  I'm reverting back to regular mode as I've had to hit the physical power switch on the machine several times now because of this issue.</p><p>One thing that I forgot to mention before but remembered now is that I also get an error in Pegasus that says "Unable to initialize printer" when I'm just viewing a message; this occurs sometimes just before it goes into the whole 100% CPU usage mode, but not every time.  It's an error that comes up where I can press the OK button, but even though I press it, another identical box just pops right up behind it so it's never ending.  I end up having to close my mailboxes in Pegasus, then quitting.  It usually pops up with a message that says the product quit unexpectedly.  </p><p>Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks again! </p>

I thought there was to be an update for Vista ... are we really to be kept waiting for when ever to see that ... does it really take that long to write something for Pegasus that will be workable with Vista ... this is an honest question by the way.

I thought there was to be an update for Vista ... are we really to be kept waiting for when ever to see that ... does it really take that long to write something for Pegasus that will be workable with Vista ... this is an honest question by the way.

[quote user="RIPSNORT"]I thought there was to be an update for Vista ... are we really to be kept waiting for when ever to see that ... does it really take that long to write something for Pegasus that will be workable with Vista ... this is an honest question by the way.
[/quote]

Yes, it does. This isn't just a five minute patch - I'm having to rewrite the entire Pegasus Mail help system and port all the existing data from the old WinHelp format to it. I cannot use HTMLHelp, because it is terminally broken in a significant number of commonly-used Pegasus Mail installations (i.e, any situation where Pegasus Mail is run from a shared device, such as a file server). It amazes me that  Microsoft could have made the decisions they have, effectively resulting in Vista shipping without a usable help system. It's an extra development burden I did not need and did not want.

Things are complicated by other major modifications I'm making to the program preparatory to working on version 5; I've essentially had to rewrite something like half the program, and while I do that, I cannot release patches or betas.

Given that the help issue is the only major issue I'm aware of with Pegasus Mail under Vista, and that it can be fixed by downloading WinHelp from the Microsoft support site, it really didn't seem like an overriding concern and it has therefore not made its voice loudly heard amid the clamoring hordes of other issues I am trying to handle.

-- David --

<p>[quote user="RIPSNORT"]I thought there was to be an update for Vista ... are we really to be kept waiting for when ever to see that ... does it really take that long to write something for Pegasus that will be workable with Vista ... this is an honest question by the way. [/quote] Yes, it does. This isn't just a five minute patch - I'm having to rewrite the entire Pegasus Mail help system and port all the existing data from the old WinHelp format to it. I cannot use HTMLHelp, because it is terminally broken in a significant number of commonly-used Pegasus Mail installations (i.e, any situation where Pegasus Mail is run from a shared device, such as a file server). It amazes me that  Microsoft could have made the decisions they have, effectively resulting in Vista shipping without a usable help system. It's an extra development burden I did not need and did not want. Things are complicated by other major modifications I'm making to the program preparatory to working on version 5; I've essentially had to rewrite something like half the program, and while I do that, I cannot release patches or betas. Given that the help issue is the only major issue I'm aware of with Pegasus Mail under Vista, and that it can be fixed by downloading WinHelp from the Microsoft support site, it really didn't seem like an overriding concern and it has therefore not made its voice loudly heard amid the clamoring hordes of other issues I am trying to handle. -- David -- </p>

Hi David,

Thanks for your post.  My issue with Pegasus, while annoying, does not prevent me from using the application.  In fact, if I didn't have Pegasus running 24x7, I likely wouldn't even notice the 100% CPU usage issue.  The Help issue is not really something that affects me greatly either, so I for one very much appreciate that you're focusing on Pegasus 5 than fixing the current version which largely works just fine.

Thanks again for such a wonderful mail app! 

<p>Hi David,</p><p>Thanks for your post.  My issue with Pegasus, while annoying, does not prevent me from using the application.  In fact, if I didn't have Pegasus running 24x7, I likely wouldn't even notice the 100% CPU usage issue.  The Help issue is not really something that affects me greatly either, so I for one very much appreciate that you're focusing on Pegasus 5 than fixing the current version which largely works just fine.</p><p>Thanks again for such a wonderful mail app! </p>

[quote user="amrikr"]

My issue with Pegasus, while annoying, does not prevent me from using the application.  In fact, if I didn't have Pegasus running 24x7, I likely wouldn't even notice the 100% CPU usage issue.

[/quote]

For what it's worth, it's basically impossible for Pegasus Mail to consume 100% of the CPU - it simply never does that much. I'd be looking at the TCP/IP layer on your machine: do you have anything installed at that level? A POP-based antivirus scanner? A VPN driver? If there's something interfering with the TCP/IP stack, then that could make it *appear* that Pegasus Mail was using 100% of the CPU. Past experience with this type of thing has taught me that the network layer is almost always where the real problem lies.

Cheers!

-- David --

[quote user="amrikr"]<p>My issue with Pegasus, while annoying, does not prevent me from using the application.  In fact, if I didn't have Pegasus running 24x7, I likely wouldn't even notice the 100% CPU usage issue.</p>[/quote] For what it's worth, it's basically impossible for Pegasus Mail to consume 100% of the CPU - it simply never does that much. I'd be looking at the TCP/IP layer on your machine: do you have anything installed at that level? A POP-based antivirus scanner? A VPN driver? If there's something interfering with the TCP/IP stack, then that could make it *appear* that Pegasus Mail was using 100% of the CPU. Past experience with this type of thing has taught me that the network layer is almost always where the real problem lies. Cheers! -- David --

My Task Manager says the process "winpm-32.exe" is using 100% CPU, so not sure how to check if it's something else or not.  Suggestions would be greatly appreciated, but it's not a huge deal so no worries.  :-)

My Task Manager says the process "winpm-32.exe" is using 100% CPU, so not sure how to check if it's something else or not.  Suggestions would be greatly appreciated, but it's not a huge deal so no worries.  :-)

Yes - that simply means that the *process* is not yielding the processor at all during its active cycle - but it doesn't mean that it's actually the *code* in winpm-32.exe that's doing it... The code doing the blocking can be anything invoked by winpm-32.exe during its timeslice, including network drivers, disk drivers, the operating system - anything. A Windows program is almost always just a small tip sitting on top of an iceberg of low-level code that isn't immediately obvious on the surface. One of the problems of being an application developer and having to do technical support is that users assume that any problem that occurs while they're running your application is *caused* by your application, when in more than 70% of cases, it isn't. Don't get me wrong - I'm not criticizing my user community here: it's a perfectly reasonable assumption based on what the user is seeing... But it *can* make things very difficult for me, and results in me doing a lot of "free technical support" for other vendors.

Cheers!

-- David --

<p>Yes - that simply means that the *process* is not yielding the processor at all during its active cycle - but it doesn't mean that it's actually the *code* in winpm-32.exe that's doing it... The code doing the blocking can be anything invoked by winpm-32.exe during its timeslice, including network drivers, disk drivers, the operating system - anything. A Windows program is almost always just a small tip sitting on top of an iceberg of low-level code that isn't immediately obvious on the surface. One of the problems of being an application developer and having to do technical support is that users assume that any problem that occurs while they're running your application is *caused* by your application, when in more than 70% of cases, it isn't. Don't get me wrong - I'm not criticizing my user community here: it's a perfectly reasonable assumption based on what the user is seeing... But it *can* make things very difficult for me, and results in me doing a lot of "free technical support" for other vendors. Cheers! -- David --  </p>

Hi, 

I'm running Pegasus on Vista without any problems and without running it in any form of compatability mode. Never seen the 100% CPU thing.

Using Microsoft's 'old-help-file-support-for-Vista' update fixed the help system (as it did for all apps with traditional help files).

I wasn't able to run Pegasus on Netware with the beta Technology Preview client. Constant BSOD's. Guess we'll have to wait for a proper Vista client.

Ron

<P>Hi, </P> <P>I'm running Pegasus on Vista without any problems and without running it in any form of compatability mode. Never seen the 100% CPU thing.</P> <P>Using Microsoft's 'old-help-file-support-for-Vista' update fixed the help system (as it did for all apps with traditional help files).</P> <P>I wasn't able to run Pegasus on Netware with the beta Technology Preview client. Constant BSOD's. Guess we'll have to wait for a proper Vista client.</P> <P>Ron</P>

[quote user="amrikr"]

Hi again, I've tried with Compatibility mode turned on, and frankly it's made things much worse.  Now it still pegs the CPU at 100%, BUT, in Task Manager it no longer shows the Pegasus process and causes the machine to become unoperable.  I'm reverting back to regular mode as I've had to hit the physical power switch on the machine several times now because of this issue.

One thing that I forgot to mention before but remembered now is that I also get an error in Pegasus that says "Unable to initialize printer" when I'm just viewing a message; this occurs sometimes just before it goes into the whole 100% CPU usage mode, but not every time.  It's an error that comes up where I can press the OK button, but even though I press it, another identical box just pops right up behind it so it's never ending.  I end up having to close my mailboxes in Pegasus, then quitting.  It usually pops up with a message that says the product quit unexpectedly.

Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks again! 

[/quote]

Is your default printer online and ready to use?   You may want to try using Cute PDF or Bullzip PDF printers (can be available no matter since they are PDF printers) as a default rather than your normal as some printer drivers will interact odd with Vista.   The Unable to inialize printer is key here as when you open various parts of Pegasus Mail it requires a printer to respond.  It is a feature of the editor library that is used, which was written to be able to support wordprocessor features.    This is a problem on other versions of Windows also if the printer is not talking correctly to the OS.

Anyway that is where you should look.  Often going to the printer manufacturer and getting the most recient printer drivers helps.

[quote user="amrikr"]<p>Hi again, I've tried with Compatibility mode turned on, and frankly it's made things much worse.  Now it still pegs the CPU at 100%, BUT, in Task Manager it no longer shows the Pegasus process and causes the machine to become unoperable.  I'm reverting back to regular mode as I've had to hit the physical power switch on the machine several times now because of this issue.</p><p>One thing that I forgot to mention before but remembered now is that I also get an error in Pegasus that says "Unable to initialize printer" when I'm just viewing a message; this occurs sometimes just before it goes into the whole 100% CPU usage mode, but not every time.  It's an error that comes up where I can press the OK button, but even though I press it, another identical box just pops right up behind it so it's never ending.  I end up having to close my mailboxes in Pegasus, then quitting.  It usually pops up with a message that says the product quit unexpectedly.  </p><p>Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks again! </p><p>[/quote]</p><p> </p><p>Is your default printer online and ready to use?   You may want to try using Cute PDF or Bullzip PDF printers (can be available no matter since they are PDF printers) as a default rather than your normal as some printer drivers will interact odd with Vista.   The Unable to inialize printer is key here as when you open various parts of Pegasus Mail it requires a printer to respond.  It is a feature of the editor library that is used, which was written to be able to support wordprocessor features.    This is a problem on other versions of Windows also if the printer is not talking correctly to the OS.</p><p>Anyway that is where you should look.  Often going to the printer manufacturer and getting the most recient printer drivers helps.</p><p> </p><p> </p><p> </p>
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft