Community Discussions and Support
New Mail folder houskeeping

[quote user="arisme"]I have not yet managed to find a convenient way of moving old files to long tem storage folders in Pegasus Mail v4.41.[/quote]

I have a filter that I apply on closing the new-mail folder -- move anything over 30 days old to a different folder called "New Mail Over 30 Days Old".  Anything that old doesn't belong in "New Mail" any more, and this keeps the NM folder below the magic threshold of 500 (?) messages, beyond which it quits polling for new mail.

<p>[quote user="arisme"]I have not yet managed to find a convenient way of moving old files to long tem storage folders in Pegasus Mail v4.41.[/quote]</p><p>I have a filter that I apply on closing the new-mail folder -- move anything over 30 days old to a different folder called "New Mail Over 30 Days Old".  Anything that old doesn't belong in "New Mail" any more, and this keeps the NM folder below the magic threshold of 500 (?) messages, beyond which it quits polling for new mail. </p>

My apologies if this has already been covered in the areas my search did not reach.

When my New Mail folder reaches about 750 messages it starts shorting my useful lifetime by taking more seconds to load.

I have not yet managed to find a convenient way of moving old files to long tem storage folders in Pegasus Mail v4.41.

In previous versions, this housekeeping chore was fairly straightforward. Do a find for text unique to a particular group of messages, and specify the highlight option. Once highlighted, a Move to the selected storage folder cleared them from the New Mail folder.

The nearest I have got to this with 4.41 is to use find to get them listed the folder managment area, from where a Move will copy them to the final storage folder. However, the originals still remain in New Files. I can delete them by selecting manually, but this is a pain in the sensitive portion of my anatomy, and is too fidlly, time consuming and inviting human error to do something disasterous.

I expect the answer might turn out to be simple and obvious, but so far has evaded me. Any kind soul out there willing to be kind and helpful?

arisme

<p>My apologies if this has already been covered in the areas my search did not reach.</p><p>When my New Mail folder reaches about 750 messages it starts shorting my useful lifetime by taking more seconds to load.</p><p>I have not yet managed to find a convenient way of moving old files to long tem storage folders in Pegasus Mail v4.41. </p><p>In previous versions, this housekeeping chore was fairly straightforward. Do a find for text unique to a particular group of messages, and specify the highlight option. Once highlighted, a Move to the selected storage folder cleared them from the New Mail folder. </p><p>The nearest I have got to this with 4.41 is to use find to get them listed the folder managment area, from where a Move will copy them to the final storage folder. However, the originals still remain in New Files. I can delete them by selecting manually, but this is a pain in the sensitive portion of my anatomy, and is too fidlly, time consuming and inviting human error to do something disasterous.</p><p>I expect the answer might turn out to be simple and obvious, but so far has evaded me. Any kind soul out there willing to be kind and helpful? arisme</p>

I mostly use the select function (CTRL F9) to do a selection, sort the selected messages on top and move them all to the location you want.

<p>I mostly use the select function (CTRL F9) to do a selection, sort the selected messages on top and move them all to the location you want.</p><p> </p>

-- Han van den Bogaerde - support@vandenbogaerde.net Member of Pegasus Mail Support Group. My own Pegasus Mail related web information: http://www.vandenbogaerde.net/pegasusmail/

You could also consider employing rules to automatically move messages meeting a particular criteria such as Subject: xxxxx oir From: yyyyy

Martin 

<p>You could also consider employing rules to automatically move messages meeting a particular criteria such as Subject: xxxxx oir From: yyyyy</p><p>Martin </p>

Han, 

Ctrl + F9 - the perfect solution. An even better tool than in earlier versions. Congratulations to the development team for that.

I kick myself for having missed the option on my exploratory poke around after upgrading to 4.41.

Thank you for taking the time to respond.

---oOo---

Martin,

Thanks for your suggestion. I did consider using the filter rules, but decided against it for a couple of practical reasons. A lot of the traffic through the New Mail folder contains discussion threads, and I find it very convenient to have all relevant messages to hand in one place (as indeed do these forums).

The other drawback of the filters is that the timing of the move to permanent storage varies according to subject. So, some items could go immediately after being read, others after a few more message exchanges have taken place, and some need to be on hand for reference to content for a long time.

There may be a case for an option similar to annotations, but with a 'file after x weeks' or 'file after December 2008' type of instruction for the filters.

Thanks again to both of you

Aris

<p>Han, </p><p>Ctrl + F9 - the perfect solution. An even better tool than in earlier versions. Congratulations to the development team for that. </p><p>I kick myself for having missed the option on my exploratory poke around after upgrading to 4.41.</p><p>Thank you for taking the time to respond.</p><p>    ---oOo---</p><p>Martin,</p><p>Thanks for your suggestion. I did consider using the filter rules, but decided against it for a couple of practical reasons. A lot of the traffic through the New Mail folder contains discussion threads, and I find it very convenient to have all relevant messages to hand in one place (as indeed do these forums).</p><p>The other drawback of the filters is that the timing of the move to permanent storage varies according to subject. So, some items could go immediately after being read, others after a few more message exchanges have taken place, and some need to be on hand for reference to content for a long time.</p><p>There may be a case for an option similar to annotations, but with a 'file after x weeks' or 'file after December 2008' type of instruction for the filters. </p><p>Thanks again to both of you </p><p>Aris</p><p> </p>
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft