Community Discussions and Support
[Solved] [Bug] [regular expressions] [transaction filtering] [all versions] - CRLF evaluated

Hi David,

in case you can't change it (I understand your reasons but somewhen you will have to make the switch) how about mentioning it in the very top of the example TRANSFLTR.MER and the help (and of course in the KB article [;)])?
It saved people a lot time. Especially the ones giving your server a first shot (which led to a broader user base and hopefully more revenue).

Thank you, Rainer

<P>Hi David,</P> <P>in case you can't change it (I understand your reasons but somewhen you will have to make the switch) how about mentioning it in the very top of the example TRANSFLTR.MER and the help (and of course in the KB article [;)])? It saved people a lot time. Especially the ones giving your server a first shot (which led to a broader user base and hopefully more revenue).</P> <P>Thank you, Rainer</P>

Hi all,

I may be wrong about it but: A field delimiter is never a part of the field.
As by definition (RFC2821 - 2.3.7 Lines) the delimiter of any line or command in SMTP is CRLF the CRLF finishing any line should not be evaluated by transaction filtering.
Besides the current status not being logical I guess many users did a hostname* to get it to match which weakens the filter (well, at least I did so until using a packet sniffer today).

Workaround:
End the expression with "??" as in transaction filter H, "[heHE][heHE]LO hostname??", S, "own devices excempt from transaction filtering" to have exact matches

Solution:
- please correct in future relases.

Thank you, Rainer

P.S. Please enhance documentation in help file or have someone with inside knowledge write a KB article about regular expressions in Mercury (if I wanted to I ended up in endless trial-and-error-tests to find out what is required/evaluated how and where).

<P>Hi all,</P> <P>I may be wrong about it but: A field delimiter is never a part of the field. As by definition (RFC2821 - 2.3.7 Lines) the delimiter of <U>any</U> line or command in SMTP is CRLF the CRLF finishing any line should not be evaluated by transaction filtering. Besides the current status not being logical I guess many users did a <EM>hostname</EM><STRONG><EM><U>*</U></EM></STRONG> to get it to match which weakens the filter (well, at least I did so until using a packet sniffer today). </P> <P>Workaround: End the expression with "??" as in transaction filter <EM>H, "[heHE][heHE]LO hostname<U><STRONG>??</STRONG></U>", S, "own devices excempt from transaction filtering"</EM> to have exact matches Solution: - please correct in future relases.</P> <P> Thank you, Rainer</P> <P>P.S. Please enhance documentation in help file or have someone with inside knowledge write a KB article about regular expressions in Mercury (if I wanted to I ended up in endless trial-and-error-tests to find out what is required/evaluated how and where). </P>

This problem has been around for a while: the reason I haven't changed it is that "fixing" it would break almost every workaround that anyone has put together to deal with it - in other words, the fix is as bad as the problem itself.

Don't get me wrong - the "fix" is trivially easy: it would take me about ten seconds. I would just want to be very sure of the consequences before I did it.

Cheers!

-- David --

This problem has been around for a while: the reason I haven't changed it is that "fixing" it would break almost every workaround that anyone has put together to deal with it - in other words, the fix is as bad as the problem itself. Don't get me wrong - the "fix" is trivially easy: it would take me about ten seconds. I would just want to be very sure of the consequences before I did it. Cheers! -- David --
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft