Community Discussions and Support
Spamhalter - Difference between "Excluding" and "Whitelisting"

Hi!

I have couple of local receiver addresses in Exclude - section,  and in spamhalter log file there is message regarding of these addresses:

I 20170214 035036.021 MG00D28E Receiver excluded

So, I think it is for local receiver, but it is interesting, if Lukas can clear up this.

:)

Jyrki 

Edit: Actually, My addresses in exclude sections are remote addresses from Mercury point of view, because they are in our Exchange server. So, maybe exclude section is for to - addresses (local or remote), as you said..

<p>Hi!</p><p>I have couple of local receiver addresses in Exclude - section, <span style="font-size: 10pt;"> and in spamhalter log file there is message regarding of these addresses:</span></p><p>I 20170214 035036.021 MG00D28E Receiver excluded</p><p> So, I think it is for local receiver, but it is interesting, if Lukas can clear up this.</p><p>:)</p><p> Jyrki<span style="font-size: 10pt;"> </span></p><p> Edit: Actually, My addresses in exclude sections are remote addresses from Mercury point of view, because they are in our Exchange server. So, maybe exclude section is for to - addresses (local or remote), as you said..</p>

Hi guys,

Every time I have to add mail addresses or domains for excluding from processing to Spamhalter, I'm wondering which Spamhalter setting section I should use for this task. I could add the address/domain to the list "Exclude from processing" or to the list "Whitelist senders" (or to both). But from my point of view both things cause the same: the e-mail containing the subject sender address will never be catched and arrested within the spam folder.

The Spamhalter manual only states:

Whitelist senders
A listing of email addresses and domains that will be automatically whitelisted.  Wildcards are allowed, one address per line. The entry *@domain.com will exclude this domain from processing; a*@domain.com will exclude all the users with the name starting with "a" from processing.  The address can be tested for validity.

Exclude from processing
A listing of email addresses and domains that will be excluded from processing.  Wildcards are allowed, one address per line. The entry *@domain.com will exclude this domain from processing; a*@domain.com will exclude all the users with the name starting with "a" from processing.  The address can be tested for validity.

Could anybody light me up?

<p>Hi guys,</p><p>Every time I have to add mail addresses or domains for excluding from processing to Spamhalter, I'm wondering which Spamhalter setting section I should use for this task. I could add the address/domain to the list "Exclude from processing" or to the list "Whitelist senders" (or to both). But from my point of view both things cause the same: the e-mail containing the subject sender address will never be catched and arrested within the spam folder.</p><p>The Spamhalter manual only states:</p><p>Whitelist senders A listing of email addresses and domains that will be automatically whitelisted.  Wildcards are allowed, one address per line. The entry *@domain.com will exclude this domain from processing; a*@domain.com will exclude all the users with the name starting with "a" from processing.  The address can be tested for validity. </p><p>Exclude from processing A listing of email addresses and domains that will be excluded from processing.  Wildcards are allowed, one address per line. The entry *@domain.com will exclude this domain from processing; a*@domain.com will exclude all the users with the name starting with "a" from processing.  The address can be tested for validity. Could anybody light me up? [I]   </p>

[quote user="Joerg"]

Every time I have to add mail addresses or domains for excluding from processing to Spamhalter, I'm wondering which Spamhalter setting section I should use for this task. I could add the address/domain to the list "Exclude from processing" or to the list "Whitelist senders" (or to both). But from my point of view both things cause the same: the e-mail containing the subject sender address will never be catched and arrested within the spam folder.[/quote]

My understanding is that Whitelisted senders can automatically cause database additions and the message is processed as "good".

Excluded messages just bypass processing altogether.

The author Lukas sometimes posts here, and he would be able to confirm exactly what these configuration items mean.

[quote user="Joerg"] <P>Every time I have to add mail addresses or domains for excluding from processing to Spamhalter, I'm wondering which Spamhalter setting section I should use for this task. I could add the address/domain to the list "Exclude from processing" or to the list "Whitelist senders" (or to both). But from my point of view both things cause the same: the e-mail containing the subject sender address will never be catched and arrested within the spam folder.[/quote]</P> <P>My understanding is that Whitelisted senders can automatically cause database additions and the message is processed as "good".</P> <P>Excluded messages just bypass processing altogether.</P> <P>The author Lukas sometimes posts here, and he would be able to confirm exactly what these configuration items mean.</P>

Exactly! PaulW is right!

"Excluded" messages are ignored.

"Whitelisted" mesages are processed as "not-spam".

It is opposite to "blacklisted" messages. (handled as "spam".) Spamhalter have automatic whitelist and blacklist, updated by your corrections and by your outgoing messages. Rest messages are classified by bayesian analyze.

Usualy you need to use "exclude" list only, because hard "whitelist" can cause unwanted database updates.

<p>Exactly! PaulW is right! "Excluded" messages are ignored. </p><p>"Whitelisted" mesages are processed as "not-spam". </p><p>It is opposite to "blacklisted" messages. (handled as "spam".) Spamhalter have automatic whitelist and blacklist, updated by your corrections and by your outgoing messages. Rest messages are classified by bayesian analyze.</p><p>Usualy you need to use "exclude" list only, because hard "whitelist" can cause unwanted database updates. </p><p> </p>

Hi Lukas,

Many thanks for your swift reply. Now I understand the processing itself. But in case the "exclude" is the better way and "whitelist" cause to unwanted database updates, why you offer the "whitelist" as an additional option? Finally it doesn't matter to me as user, how Spamhalter ensure that certain sender addresses are not being sorted out. For which case the "whitelist" option would be the better choice?

<p>Hi Lukas,</p><p>Many thanks for your swift reply. Now I understand the processing itself. But in case the "exclude" is the better way and "whitelist" cause to unwanted database updates, why you offer the "whitelist" as an additional option? Finally it doesn't matter to me as user, how Spamhalter ensure that certain sender addresses are not being sorted out. For which case the "whitelist" option would be the better choice? </p>

[quote user="geby"]

Exactly! PaulW is right!

"Excluded" messages are ignored.

"Whitelisted" mesages are processed as "not-spam".

It is opposite to "blacklisted" messages. (handled as "spam".) Spamhalter have automatic whitelist and blacklist, updated by your corrections and by your outgoing messages. Rest messages are classified by bayesian analyze.

Usualy you need to use "exclude" list only, because hard "whitelist" can cause unwanted database updates.

[/quote]

That makes sense - thanks. 

[quote user="geby"]<p>Exactly! PaulW is right! "Excluded" messages are ignored. </p><p>"Whitelisted" mesages are processed as "not-spam". </p><p>It is opposite to "blacklisted" messages. (handled as "spam".) Spamhalter have automatic whitelist and blacklist, updated by your corrections and by your outgoing messages. Rest messages are classified by bayesian analyze.</p><p>Usualy you need to use "exclude" list only, because hard "whitelist" can cause unwanted database updates. </p><p> </p><p>[/quote]</p><p>That makes sense - thanks. </p>

[quote user="Joerg"]But in case the "exclude" is the better way and "whitelist" cause to unwanted database updates, why you offer the "whitelist" as an additional option? Finally it doesn't matter to me as user, how Spamhalter ensure that certain sender addresses are not being sorted out. For which case the "whitelist" option would be the better choice?

[/quote]

I do not remember, why I add this option. Just someone need it. Maybe for some kind of white-honeypot.

[quote user="Joerg"]But in case the "exclude" is the better way and "whitelist" cause to unwanted database updates, why you offer the "whitelist" as an additional option? Finally it doesn't matter to me as user, how Spamhalter ensure that certain sender addresses are not being sorted out. For which case the "whitelist" option would be the better choice? <p>[/quote]</p><p>I do not remember, why I add this option. Just someone need it. Maybe for some kind of white-honeypot. </p><p> </p>

[quote user="geby"]I do not remember, why I add this option. Just someone need it. Maybe for some kind of white-honeypot.[/quote]

Hi Lukas,

Thanks for your openness. Nevertheless a good piece of software which we appreciate every day.

<p>[quote user="geby"]I do not remember, why I add this option. Just someone need it. Maybe for some kind of white-honeypot.[/quote]</p><p>Hi Lukas,</p><p>Thanks for your openness. Nevertheless a good piece of software which we appreciate every day. </p>

Hi

In Spamhalter  Exclude section is said, that "This receiver addresses are excluded..."

In Whitelist section, the comment is: "This sender addresses are whitelisted..."

So, AFAIK, Exclude is for local receiver addresses, and whitelist is for sender addresses.

Regard Jyrki

<p>Hi</p><p>In Spamhalter <span style="font-size: 10pt;"> Exclude section is said, that "This receiver addresses are excluded..."</span></p><p>In Whitelist section, the comment is: "This sender addresses are whitelisted..."</p><p>So, AFAIK, Exclude is for local receiver addresses, and whitelist is for sender addresses.</p><p> Regard Jyrki</p><p><span style="font-size: 10pt;"> </span></p>

Hi Jyrki,

This is interesting. Thanks for the hint. I was not aware about this possible difference in processing between receiver and sender.

But nevertheless "receiver" could also mean local or remote receiver, and "sender" could also mean local or remote sender. This is not further specified, isn't it? Insofar both directions, incoming and outgoing are covered. Maybe Lukas is still reading this thread and could give some thoughts.

<p>Hi Jyrki,</p><p>This is interesting. Thanks for the hint. I was not aware about this possible difference in processing between receiver and sender. </p><p>But nevertheless "receiver" could also mean local or remote receiver, and "sender" could also mean local or remote sender. This is not further specified, isn't it? Insofar both directions, incoming and outgoing are covered. Maybe Lukas is still reading this thread and could give some thoughts. </p>
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft