Community Discussions and Support
Pegasus Hanging

Thank you so much! The default printer was the one connected to my main computer, it didn't even occur to me to check this. It will do in future, though - I was reduced to loading Outlook...

Anne

Thank you so much! The default printer was the one connected to my main computer, it didn't even occur to me to check this. It will do in future, though - I was reduced to loading Outlook... <P> <P> Anne

My main computer has crashed, and I need to use my backup computer. This was recently cleaned up - it has two drives, and all my data files were moved to the second drive, which is a lot bigger than the C drive. However, Pegasus was left on the C drive, under the default directory Pmail. This morning, when I changed over to the backup computer, although it allowed me into the programme and downloaded emails, as soon as I tried to open an email the programme froze. It was working perfectly well yesterday, (I have a student working on it, who will have to use the laptop until my main computer is fixed) - the only difference is that I'm using my newer keyboard, mouse and screen on the backup computer.

After checking files to see if there was anything odd in any of the paths, I decided I needed to upgrade from v4.1 to v4.41. I did this, but exactly the same thing happened - as soon as I tried to open an email the whole thing froze. I then moved the entire directory onto the D drive and loaded v 4.41 from scratch. I got to the first window of the wizard and everything hung again. I tried several times, and renamed the Pmail directory on the D drive, in case there was a conflict somewhere. Still the same problem - it simply hung. I left it like this for 10 minutes or so, and then it seemed to unfreeze itself, and it let me complete the wizard. I checked my email and found I had no messages, so tried to post a test message to myself, and it has hung again.

I've done a search of the internet to see if there is anything obvious that I'm missing, and I just can't find anything. Does anyone have any ideas?

After rereading this message, I think I should check whether it works with the screen, keyboard and mouse it had yesterday. I will post again with the result!

Anne Coventry

KwaZulu Natal,

South Africa

My main computer has crashed, and I need to use my backup computer. This was recently cleaned up - it has two drives, and all my data files were moved to the second drive, which is a lot bigger than the C drive. However, Pegasus was left on the C drive, under the default directory Pmail. This morning, when I changed over to the backup computer, although it allowed me into the programme and downloaded emails, as soon as I tried to open an email the programme froze. It was working perfectly well yesterday, (I have a student working on it, who will have to use the laptop until my main computer is fixed) - the only difference is that I'm using my newer keyboard, mouse and screen on the backup computer. After checking files to see if there was anything odd in any of the paths, I decided I needed to upgrade from v4.1 to v4.41. I did this, but exactly the same thing happened - as soon as I tried to open an email the whole thing froze. I then moved the entire directory onto the D drive and loaded v 4.41 from scratch. I got to the first window of the wizard and everything hung again. I tried several times, and renamed the Pmail directory on the D drive, in case there was a conflict somewhere. Still the same problem - it simply hung. I left it like this for 10 minutes or so, and then it seemed to unfreeze itself, and it let me complete the wizard. I checked my email and found I had no messages, so tried to post a test message to myself, and it has hung again. I've done a search of the internet to see if there is anything obvious that I'm missing, and I just can't find anything. Does anyone have any ideas? After rereading this message, I think I should check whether it works with the screen, keyboard and mouse it had yesterday. I will post again with the result! Anne Coventry KwaZulu Natal, South Africa

I tried the old screen, keyboard and mouse with the same result. The wierd thing is that with the reboot, it lost all the settings and presented the network wizard again. And again, as soon as I pressed Next, it hung.

I forgot to mention that I did try rebooting after setting up 4.41. If anyone has any suggestions I will gladly try them.

Anne Coventry

I tried the old screen, keyboard and mouse with the same result. The wierd thing is that with the reboot, it lost all the settings and presented the network wizard again. And again, as soon as I pressed Next, it hung. <p> <p> I forgot to mention that I did try rebooting after setting up 4.41. If anyone has any suggestions I will gladly try them. <p> <p> Anne Coventry

I have discovered that Pegasus Mail is actually working - it is just taking 5 minutes or so to open emails, create new messages, move emails, etc. If I ^ alt delete the programme manager tells me that Pegasus Mail is not responding, and if I click on exit while it is trying to open a message I get the 'program not responding, end now' dialogue box. I have run pconfig.exe and I can't see anything wrong. All other programmes on the computer seem to be working normally.

Anne Coventry

I have discovered that Pegasus Mail is actually working - it is just taking 5 minutes or so to open emails, create new messages, move emails, etc. If I ^ alt delete the programme manager tells me that Pegasus Mail is not responding, and if I click on exit while it is trying to open a message I get the 'program not responding, end now' dialogue box. I have run pconfig.exe and I can't see anything wrong. All other programmes on the computer seem to be working normally. <p> <p> Anne Coventry

The most likely cause for this is that there is a reference in your settings or preferences to a device that existed on the old computer but does not exist, or is inaccessible on the new one. The most likely candidate is a printer - try selecting a different printer (or selecting "Windows default"); the other possibility is a path to a directory somewhere - most likely a temporary files directory, although the program would probably complain directly about that.

Like I say, my guess here is a very long timeout caused by an inacessible printer.

Cheers!

-- David --

The most likely cause for this is that there is a reference in your settings or preferences to a device that existed on the old computer but does not exist, or is inaccessible on the new one. The most likely candidate is a printer - try selecting a different printer (or selecting "Windows default"); the other possibility is a path to a directory somewhere - most likely a temporary files directory, although the program would probably complain directly about that. Like I say, my guess here is a very long timeout caused by an inacessible printer. Cheers! -- David --
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft