Pegasus Mail Suggestions
pegasus and exchange

In the past (when I did admin a couple Exchange servers v2000-2010) we would disable POP/IMAP in order to block any non Outlook clients from using. Was a 'security' procedure (right...), client licensing (CAL) under Exchange and of course overhead running the protocol stacks.

Microsoft does like to lock users to their products 

<p>In the past (when I did admin a couple Exchange servers v2000-2010) we would disable POP/IMAP in order to block any non Outlook clients from using. Was a 'security' procedure (right...), client licensing (CAL) under Exchange and of course overhead running the protocol stacks.</p><p>Microsoft does like to lock users to their products </p>

I badly need a way to use Pegasus as a client with my university's exchange server.  They have disabled all the old IMAP servers, and neither exchange nor outlook meet my needs.  I found a product called DEV, but it's written in Java which is to insecure for me to risk installing.

Any suggestions gratefully appreciated.

Bob Wears

<p>I badly need a way to use Pegasus as a client with my university's exchange server.  They have disabled all the old IMAP servers, and neither exchange nor outlook meet my needs.  I found a product called DEV, but it's written in Java which is to insecure for me to risk installing.</p><p>Any suggestions gratefully appreciated.</p><p> </p><p>Bob Wears</p><p> </p>

Do you mean DavMail? Located here?

http://davmail.sourceforge.net 

If so this is most likely the only gateway between Pegasus and Exchange server without running your own mail server which is not an option for most people.

This project is written under Java (as many other cross platform projects) is true, which does not make it insecure. 

<p>Do you mean DavMail? Located here?</p><p>http://davmail.sourceforge.net </p><p>If so this is most likely the only gateway between Pegasus and Exchange server without running your own mail server which is not an option for most people.</p><p><span style="font-size: 10pt;">This project is written under Java (as many other cross platform projects) is true, which does not make it insecure. </span></p>

Before you invest any time or $$$ on trying to do this, I would suggest you ask the IT team what kind of email service is being opened up to allow external contact (if any). And while asking that question make sure you get a definitive answer as to what ports and security settings will be required.  My concern is that the Microsoft Exchange server is not really intended to allow traffic in or out of its domain,  and therefore requires an interface to the outside world. This was IMAP and POP3 before that. You could be looking at SOAP or WebDav protocols and I doubt there are many apps that can convert bi-directionally.

Martin (ex-MsExchange user who migrated to Pegasus Mail for years of problem free access).

<p>Before you invest any time or $$$ on trying to do this, I would suggest you ask the IT team what kind of email service is being opened up to allow external contact (if any). And while asking that question make sure you get a definitive answer as to what ports and security settings will be required.  My concern is that the Microsoft Exchange server is not really intended to allow traffic in or out of its domain,  and therefore requires an interface to the outside world. This was IMAP and POP3 before that. You could be looking at SOAP or WebDav protocols and I doubt there are many apps that can convert bi-directionally. </p><p>Martin (ex-MsExchange user who migrated to Pegasus Mail for years of problem free access). </p>
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft