Community Discussions and Support
Mercury refusing all IMAP logins suddenly

Ah, that's great news.

Glad I could help.  ^_^

<p>Ah, that's great news.</p><p>Glad I could help.  ^_^</p>

UPDATE: Fixed.  See end of post.

Sort of desperate for some ideas.  I've been running Mercury for years, and in the middle of the night I wake up, check my phone for messages, check my email, and my email app tells me my credentials are no good.

Restarted Mercury, then rebooted the server, changed the user password, and created a new user, and it's still refusing all IMAP logins.

Turned on the logs,  but it only reports that the login failed.  Since it's been running for many years, logging wasn't enabled previously and I don't know if anything here is actually different.

However my troubles don't seem to end there: Mercury is also refusing -all- my aliased incoming addresses, which have also worked for years.

So to recap: Mercury has fallen over and died.  What can I do?

----

So the problem was the alias.mer file.  Half asleep before bed last night I had one alias entry reversed: instead of <address><user> I'd put <user><address> and it -completely- hosed the whole Mercury system.  Not just incoming mail, but logins, and all outgoing mail as well (which would always die with 'invalid from address').

SO!  Lesson learned.

&lt;p&gt;&lt;span style=&quot;font-size: 10pt;&quot;&gt;UPDATE: Fixed. &amp;nbsp;See end of post.&lt;/span&gt;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;Sort of desperate for some ideas. &amp;nbsp;I&#039;ve been running Mercury for years, and in the middle of the night I wake up, check my phone for messages, check my email, and my email app tells me my credentials are no good.&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&amp;nbsp;Restarted Mercury, then rebooted the server, changed the user password, and created a new user, and it&#039;s still refusing all IMAP logins.&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&amp;nbsp;Turned on the logs,&amp;nbsp;&lt;span style=&quot;font-size: 10pt;&quot;&gt;&amp;nbsp;but it only reports that the login failed. &amp;nbsp;Since it&#039;s been running for many years, logging wasn&#039;t enabled previously and I don&#039;t know if anything here is actually different.&lt;/span&gt;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;However my troubles don&#039;t seem to end there: Mercury is also refusing -all- my aliased incoming addresses, which have also worked for years.&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;So to recap: Mercury has fallen over and died. &amp;nbsp;What can I do? &lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;----&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;So the problem was the alias.mer file. &amp;nbsp;Half asleep before bed last night I had one alias entry reversed: instead of &amp;lt;address&amp;gt;&amp;lt;user&amp;gt; I&#039;d put &amp;lt;user&amp;gt;&amp;lt;address&amp;gt; and it -completely- hosed the whole Mercury system. &amp;nbsp;Not just incoming mail, but logins, and all outgoing mail as well (which would always die with &#039;invalid from address&#039;). SO! &amp;nbsp;Lesson learned.&lt;/p&gt;

Has the mercury.ini file (in the main Mercury folder) for some reason been damaged? If so replace it with a backup. If that's not the case you could try reinstalling the program to make sure all components are OK.

&lt;p&gt;Has the mercury.ini file (in the main Mercury folder) for some reason been damaged? If so replace it with a backup. If that&#039;s not the case you could try reinstalling the program to make sure all components are OK.&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;

You're a few minutes late.  As updated in the OP, it was a reversed alias entry that completely borked the entire Mercury setup.  

You&#039;re a few minutes late. &amp;nbsp;As updated in the OP, it was a reversed alias entry that completely borked the entire Mercury setup. &amp;nbsp;

Thanks for reporting it! David says he will look into this with the aim of having a fix in the upcoming v4.81 release of Mercury.

Thanks for reporting it! David says he will&lt;span style=&quot;font-size: 10pt;&quot;&gt;&amp;nbsp;look into this with the&amp;nbsp;&lt;/span&gt;&lt;span style=&quot;font-size: 10pt;&quot;&gt;aim of having a fix in the upcoming v4.81 release of Mercury.&lt;/span&gt;
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft