Community Discussions and Support
Roaming installation works on many machines but has stopped working in the machine I prefer :-(

I'm leaning towards an issue with a printer driver, especially considering that it had once worked. 

If the default printer is a network printer consider taking the network out of the picture by adding another instance of that printer as a local printer on a standard tcp/ip port then test with it as the default printer.

<p>I'm leaning towards an issue with a printer driver, especially considering that it had once worked.  </p><p>If the default printer is a network printer consider taking the network out of the picture by adding another instance of that printer as a local printer on a standard tcp/ip port then test with it as the default printer. </p><p> </p>

Hello,

I have been using Pmail for ages but now I please need your help.

I use an USB-stick to store Pegasus Mail 4.71 and all my mail in various folders for multiple users and POP accounts.

The machine I usually use at work is running Windows 7 SP1  suddenly stopped opening Pegasus Mail hanging at the "restoring desktop layout" screen.

On the stick there is a batch file calling 

cd PMAIL

cd Programs

winpm-32.exe -ROAM 

The weird thing is, if I plug in my USB-stick into a different machine it starts and works without problem, it is only this one machine that does not respond properly any more.

I even deactivated Avast for one trial run but to no avail.

I read on Wikipedia that PMail does not alter the registry, but possibly it is dependent on some information in the registry all the same.

What can I do?

Greetings Nikolaus 

<p style="font-family: Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica; font-size: 12.096px;">Hello,</p><p style="font-family: Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica; font-size: 12.096px;"> </p><p style="font-family: Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica; font-size: 12.096px;">I have been using Pmail for ages but now I please need your help.</p><p style="font-family: Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica; font-size: 12.096px;"> </p><p style="font-family: Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica; font-size: 12.096px;">I use an USB-stick to store Pegasus Mail 4.71 and all my mail in various folders for multiple users and POP accounts.</p><p style="font-family: Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica; font-size: 12.096px;">The machine I usually use at work is running Windows 7 SP1  suddenly stopped opening Pegasus Mail hanging at the "restoring desktop layout" screen.</p><p style="font-family: Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica; font-size: 12.096px;">On the stick there is a batch file calling </p><p style="font-family: Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica; font-size: 12.096px;">cd PMAIL</p><p style="font-family: Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica; font-size: 12.096px;">cd Programs</p><p style="font-family: Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica; font-size: 12.096px;">winpm-32.exe -ROAM </p><p style="font-family: Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica; font-size: 12.096px;">The weird thing is, if I plug in my USB-stick into a different machine it starts and works without problem, it is only this one machine that does not respond properly any more.</p><p style="font-family: Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica; font-size: 12.096px;">I even deactivated Avast for one trial run but to no avail.</p><p style="font-family: Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica; font-size: 12.096px;">I read on Wikipedia that PMail does not alter the registry, but possibly it is dependent on some information in the registry all the same.</p><p style="font-family: Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica; font-size: 12.096px;">What can I do?</p><p style="font-family: Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica; font-size: 12.096px;">Greetings Nikolaus </p><p style="font-family: Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica; font-size: 12.096px;"> </p>

A search of this forum on "restoring desktop layout" identifies a number of discussions on the subject.  Some of the problems identified were (I didn't review but a few of them):

• Printer
  • Problem with Windows desktop manager (cold boot the PC if you haven't)

IE hasn't been uninstalled has it?  I ask because this is the point of failure for Pegasus Mail when it is run on Linux under Wine with IERenderer enabled.  IERenderer is dependent on IE so PMail hangs if IE is not found.

As for the registry, if the Pegasus Mail installer has not been run then the only registry entry is one that records where Pegasus Mail was run from.  It is rewritten by each Pegasus Mail startup.  AFAIK, its sole purpose is to provide the installer/updater with the path to an existing installation.

<p>A search of this forum on "restoring desktop layout" identifies a number of discussions on the subject.  Some of the problems identified were (I didn't review but a few of them):</p><ul><li>Printer </li><li>Problem with Windows desktop manager (cold boot the PC if you haven't) </li></ul><p>IE hasn't been uninstalled has it?  I ask because this is the point of failure for Pegasus Mail when it is run on Linux under Wine with IERenderer enabled.  IERenderer is dependent on IE so PMail hangs if IE is not found. </p><p>As for the registry, if the Pegasus Mail installer has not been run then the only registry entry is one that records where Pegasus Mail was run from.  It is rewritten by each Pegasus Mail startup.  AFAIK, its sole purpose is to provide the installer/updater with the path to an existing installation.</p><p> </p>

[quote user="Nikolaus"]

The weird thing is, if I plug in my USB-stick into a different machine it starts and works without problem, it is only this one machine that does not respond properly any more.

[/quote]

Make sure the chipset drivers are up to date. If you have a driver update utility, let it check the machine to determine if specific USB hub drivers are required. Also, ensure your BIOS is up to date. 

<span style="font-size: 13.3333px;">[quote user="Nikolaus"]</span><p style="font-family: Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica; font-size: 12.096px;">...</p><p style="font-family: Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica; font-size: 12.096px;">The weird thing is, if I plug in my USB-stick into a different machine it starts and works without problem, it is only this one machine that does not respond properly any more.</p><p style="font-family: Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica; font-size: 12.096px;">...</p><p style="font-size: 13.3333px;">[/quote]</p><p style="font-size: 13.3333px;"><span style="font-size: 10pt;">Make sure the chipset drivers are up to date. If you have a driver update utility, let it check the machine to determine if specific USB hub drivers are required. Also, ensure your BIOS is up to date. </span></p>
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft