Community Discussions and Support
new mail folder

[quote user="paul snyder"]Thanks Thomas. I assumed you meant close pegasus mail then rename the 2 files in ADMIN & not uninstall pegasus. I closed and renamed but no joy. should I delete those files and move replacement copies which I have on another partition of the original version ie where I got the admin file from in first place. This tends to make me think it might work the once but the second time I start Peg, it will not recognise them again ???[/quote]

Not sure what you are saying, the moving of the folders into the ADIM mail directory should work with out a problem is you are only moving the folders.  If you move the configuration files as well then all bets are off.   If the folders (PMM/PMI) files are in your mailbox directory and they are not read only then WinPMail should find them on startup and update the existing hierarch.pm and state.pmj.  If you also more the state.pmj and hierarch.pm as well them it probably will not work at all.  Remember, WinPMail will rebuild the state.pmj and hierarch.pm from scratch as long as there is nothing in the mailbox to tell it not to.

One more thing I forgot.  If you have been using other really old versions (PMail and v2.xx of WinPMail) of Pegasus Mail there may be copies of the *.PMT files that held the tray structure in the older versions.  If these PMT files are still in the HOME mail directory then these will be used to make the initial tray and folder build using these files that were created years ago. You must delete these PMT files.

<p>[quote user="paul snyder"]Thanks Thomas. I assumed you meant close pegasus mail then rename the 2 files in ADMIN & not uninstall pegasus. I closed and renamed but no joy. should I delete those files and move replacement copies which I have on another partition of the original version ie where I got the admin file from in first place. This tends to make me think it might work the once but the second time I start Peg, it will not recognise them again ???[/quote]</p><p> </p><p>Not sure what you are saying, the moving of the folders into the ADIM mail directory should work with out a problem is you are only moving the folders.  If you move the configuration files as well then all bets are off.   If the folders (PMM/PMI) files are in your mailbox directory and they are not read only then WinPMail should find them on startup and update the existing hierarch.pm and state.pmj.  If you also more the state.pmj and hierarch.pm as well them it probably will not work at all.  Remember, WinPMail will rebuild the state.pmj and hierarch.pm from scratch as long as there is nothing in the mailbox to tell it not to.</p><p><u><i><b>One more thing I forgot.  If you have been using other really old versions (PMail and v2.xx of WinPMail) of Pegasus Mail there may be copies of the *.PMT files that held the tray structure in the older versions.  If these PMT files are still in the HOME mail directory then these will be used to make the initial tray and folder build using these files that were created years ago. You must delete these PMT files. </b></i></u></p><p> </p><p> </p><p>  </p>

I have recently reformated my computer and reinstalled pegasus mail (with newer version 4.41). I have done this at least once before in last 7-8yrs and moving Admin folder into new program to retain emails and folders and settings. this time new mail was a bit uncooperative and (i think) seemed to open in separate window initially and i was able to read the first time. But since then it doesnt appear in folders windows at top of list. and now new mail is received( it goes through the motions) and I cant seem to find where it is filed.  it doesnt have a name for main folder in folder list like previously I vaguely remember. I added a new folder called new mail in folders window. but that doesnt attract the new messages. It says at bottom of window that there are 123 new . My mailbox is set on default. Help tells me folders, lists etc but not new mail are in this mail box. ?? Any thoughts?

Thank you for your creation I have enjoyed it for many years and proud of its local Dunedin birth.  

<P>I have recently reformated my computer and reinstalled pegasus mail (with newer version 4.41). I have done this at least once before in last 7-8yrs and moving Admin folder into new program to retain emails and folders and settings. this time new mail was a bit uncooperative and (i think) seemed to open in separate window initially and i was able to read the first time. But since then it doesnt appear in folders windows at top of list. and now new mail is received( it goes through the motions) and I cant seem to find where it is filed.  it doesnt have a name for main folder in folder list like previously I vaguely remember. I added a new folder called new mail in folders window. but that doesnt attract the new messages. It says at bottom of window that there are 123 new . My mailbox is set on default. Help tells me folders, lists etc but not new mail are in this mail box. ?? Any thoughts? </P> <P>Thank you for your creation I have enjoyed it for many years and proud of its local Dunedin birth.  </P>

[quote user="paul snyder"]

I have recently reformated my computer and reinstalled pegasus mail (with newer version 4.41). I have done this at least once before in last 7-8yrs and moving Admin folder into new program to retain emails and folders and settings. this time new mail was a bit uncooperative and (i think) seemed to open in separate window initially and i was able to read the first time. But since then it doesnt appear in folders windows at top of list. and now new mail is received( it goes through the motions) and I cant seem to find where it is filed.  it doesnt have a name for main folder in folder list like previously I vaguely remember. I added a new folder called new mail in folders window. but that doesnt attract the new messages. It says at bottom of window that there are 123 new . My mailbox is set on default. Help tells me folders, lists etc but not new mail are in this mail box. ?? Any thoughts?

Thank you for your creation I have enjoyed it for many years and proud of its local Dunedin birth.  

[/quote]

Sounds like either the state.pmj and/or heirarch.pm is corrupted.  I would exit WinPMail, rename them both, and try again.

[quote user="paul snyder"]<p>I have recently reformated my computer and reinstalled pegasus mail (with newer version 4.41). I have done this at least once before in last 7-8yrs and moving Admin folder into new program to retain emails and folders and settings. this time new mail was a bit uncooperative and (i think) seemed to open in separate window initially and i was able to read the first time. But since then it doesnt appear in folders windows at top of list. and now new mail is received( it goes through the motions) and I cant seem to find where it is filed.  it doesnt have a name for main folder in folder list like previously I vaguely remember. I added a new folder called new mail in folders window. but that doesnt attract the new messages. It says at bottom of window that there are 123 new . My mailbox is set on default. Help tells me folders, lists etc but not new mail are in this mail box. ?? Any thoughts? </p> <p>Thank you for your creation I have enjoyed it for many years and proud of its local Dunedin birth.  </p><p>[/quote]</p><p> </p><p>Sounds like either the state.pmj and/or heirarch.pm is corrupted.  I would exit WinPMail, rename them both, and try again.</p><p> </p>

Thanks Thomas. I assumed you meant close pegasus mail then rename the 2 files in ADMIN & not uninstall pegasus. I closed and renamed but no joy. should I delete those files and move replacement copies which I have on another partition of the original version ie where I got the admin file from in first place. This tends to make me think it might work the once but the second time I start Peg, it will not recognise them again ???

Thanks Thomas. I assumed you meant close pegasus mail then rename the 2 files in ADMIN & not uninstall pegasus. I closed and renamed but no joy. should I delete those files and move replacement copies which I have on another partition of the original version ie where I got the admin file from in first place. This tends to make me think it might work the once but the second time I start Peg, it will not recognise them again ???
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft