Community Discussions and Support
Local vs. domain username question

I forgot about the synonym.mer file. I'm sure that's the puzzle piece I was looking for. 

Thanks Joerg!

<p>I forgot about the synonym.mer file. I'm sure that's the puzzle piece I was looking for. </p><p>Thanks Joerg!</p>

Scenario:  MercuryD pops from hosted user maiboxes.  MercuryE handles outgoing.  Local user names are in the form of 3 initials.  Domain user names are in the form of firstname.lastname@domain.com.  A shared network install of Pegasus Mail is the client.

Yesterday I created a new user.  The receiving side is working fine but not the sending side.  Mail mail sent to the local user gets delivered but mail sent to firstname.lastname@domain.com is rejected by core with a "user not known at this site" error rather than being delivered to the local user like the others do.  No aliases are configured due to some other problem that I don't remember but all other users are working fine so what have I missed in setting up this user?

TIA!

<p>Scenario:  MercuryD pops from hosted user maiboxes.  MercuryE handles outgoing.  Local user names are in the form of 3 initials.  Domain user names are in the form of firstname.lastname@domain.com.  A shared network install of Pegasus Mail is the client. </p><p>Yesterday I created a new user.  The receiving side is working fine but not the sending side.  Mail mail sent to the local user gets delivered but mail sent to firstname.lastname@domain.com is rejected by core with a "user not known at this site" error rather than being delivered to the local user like the others do.  No aliases are configured due to some other problem that I don't remember but all other users are working fine so what have I missed in setting up this user? </p><p>TIA! </p>

Hi Brian,

New user creation is always a try-and-error game also with with [:D]

Here my checklist:

• new user to be created via Mercury's "manage local users"
  • new user to be added to MercuryD and connected to local user mailbox
  • synonym.mer to be updated with new user name (local user name == internet address) and to be added to Mercury and Pmail program folder. (Our local user names consist also only of 2 or 3 initials).
  • further I maintain a set of Pmail "start files", wich I copy into the new user mailbox folder to avoid the manual adjustment of all settings. This includes a pmail.ini, signature files, basic mail folder hirachy, etc. After the first start I have to adjust only some minor things.
  • new user should have the necessary access permissions to the Pmail program and Mailbox folder at the server.

That's it, I think.

<p>Hi Brian,</p><p>New user creation is always a try-and-error game also with with [:D]</p><p>Here my checklist:</p><ul><li>new user to be created via Mercury's "manage local users"</li><li>new user to be added to MercuryD and connected to local user mailbox</li><li>synonym.mer to be updated with new user name (local user name == internet address) and to be added to Mercury and Pmail program folder. (Our local user names consist also only of 2 or 3 initials). </li><li>further I maintain a set of Pmail "start files", wich I copy into the new user mailbox folder to avoid the manual adjustment of all settings. This includes a pmail.ini, signature files, basic mail folder hirachy, etc. After the first start I have to adjust only some minor things.</li><li>new user should have the necessary access permissions to the Pmail program and Mailbox folder at the server.</li></ul><p>That's it, I think. </p><p> </p><p> </p>
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft