Community Discussions and Support
Moving folders en masse to new mailbox

Wait! You're suggesting that *I* should first re-create all the folders and their subfolders to be moved and then manually move each folder's emails to its twin in the other mailbox? How preposterously archaic! Neither I, nor anyone else, should be required to spend even half an hour doing so.

One should just be able to, by virtual of click-hold-drag-and-drop, tell the program what to do. Maybe even with multiple folder selection. 10-20s max for each major folder group. Then go away for a cup of coffee, or peruse the plenitude of pulchritudinous persons on the web, and then, when it's convenient, come back and the COMPUTER has done all the work for me.

While I've not tested it extensively, I know it works that way in Thunderbird, and no doubt I'll find it works in Outlook too, once I break down and desecrate my machine with it!

Sorry to be so persistent, but these days, simple dragging and dropping of folders is pretty much de rigeur as far as I, and no doubt many others, are concerned. To compound the the problem, I also have a number of Pegasus Mail users who will take considerably more umbrage than I at being unable to easily and simply move their folders, and who certainly will not have the patience to do as you propose. I fear that I might end up having to do it for them too (being the IT manager hereabouts) - thereby extending your easy hour to easily several more.

<p>Wait! You're suggesting that *I* should first re-create all the folders and their subfolders to be moved and then manually move each folder's emails to its twin in the other mailbox? How preposterously archaic! Neither I, nor anyone else, should be required to spend even half an hour doing so. </p><p>One should just be able to, by virtual of click-hold-drag-and-drop, tell the <i>program </i>what to do. Maybe even with multiple folder selection. 10-20s max for each major folder group. Then go away for a cup of coffee, or peruse the plenitude of pulchritudinous persons on the web, and then, when it's convenient, come back and the COMPUTER has done all the work for me. </p><p>While I've not tested it extensively, I know it works that way in Thunderbird, and no doubt I'll find it works in Outlook too, once I break down and desecrate my machine with it! Sorry to be so persistent, but these days, simple dragging and dropping of folders is pretty much <i>de rigeur</i> as far as I, and no doubt many others, are concerned. To compound the the problem, I also have a number of Pegasus Mail users who will take considerably more umbrage than I at being unable to easily and simply move their folders, and who certainly will not have the patience to do as you propose. I fear that I might end up having to do it for them too (being the IT manager hereabouts) - thereby extending your easy hour to easily several more. </p>

Hi all,

I have for over 10 years now enjoyed using Pegasus Mail, and have accumulated over 300 folders in 5 different email accounts/identities.

I now find that I have to separate them into different mailboxes. This however does not seem to be a simple thing, because it would seem that I have to create each folder and its sub-folders separately in each mailbox, and drag'n'drop all messages into their respective folders in the new mailboxes.  This could take hours.

Is there a simple way of moving a whole lot of folders at the same time? I could run several instances of WinPMail, one for each identity, but

1. it's a pain, and
  2. there are some situations where people email me across identities over the same subject - so I'd need to be able to move the incorrectly addressed emails into the correct folders, which wouldn't be as easy with separate instances.

I HAVE checked the FAQs and done a search of these fora, but nothing stood out as being relevant to my question. Maybe I used the wrong keyword, but "mailbox" seemed to be the obvious one. 

Shah

<p>Hi all, I have for over 10 years now enjoyed using Pegasus Mail, and have accumulated over 300 folders in 5 different email accounts/identities. I now find that I have to separate them into different mailboxes. This however does not seem to be a simple thing, because it would seem that I have to create each folder and its sub-folders separately in each mailbox, and drag'n'drop all messages into their respective folders in the new mailboxes.  This could take hours.</p><p> Is there a simple way of moving a whole lot of folders at the same time? I could run several instances of WinPMail, one for each identity, but </p><ol><li>it's a pain, and</li><li>there are some situations where people email me across identities over the same subject - so I'd need to be able to move the incorrectly addressed emails into the correct folders, which wouldn't be as easy with separate instances. </li></ol><p>I HAVE checked the FAQs and done a search of these fora, but nothing stood out as being relevant to my question. Maybe I used the wrong keyword, but "mailbox" seemed to be the obvious one. </p><p> Shah  </p>

[quote user="Shaharin"]

Hi all,

I have for over 10 years now enjoyed using Pegasus Mail, and have accumulated over 300 folders in 5 different email accounts/identities.

I now find that I have to separate them into different mailboxes. This however does not seem to be a simple thing, because it would seem that I have to create each folder and its sub-folders separately in each mailbox, and drag'n'drop all messages into their respective folders in the new mailboxes.  This could take hours.

Could take hours but the simplest way is to simply copy all of the files (except pmail.ini) from one user mail directory to the others user mail directory and then run as the other users to delete the folders that do not pertain to that user.  Should not take all that long with 300 folders.

Is there a simple way of moving a whole lot of folders at the same time? I could run several instances of WinPMail, one for each identity, but

1. it's a pain, and
  2. there are some situations where people email me across identities over the same subject - so I'd need to be able to move the incorrectly addressed emails into the correct folders, which wouldn't be as easy with separate instances.

I HAVE checked the FAQs and done a search of these fora, but nothing stood out as being relevant to my question. Maybe I used the wrong keyword, but "mailbox" seemed to be the obvious one. 

Shah

[/quote]
[quote user="Shaharin"]<p>Hi all, I have for over 10 years now enjoyed using Pegasus Mail, and have accumulated over 300 folders in 5 different email accounts/identities. I now find that I have to separate them into different mailboxes. This however does not seem to be a simple thing, because it would seem that I have to create each folder and its sub-folders separately in each mailbox, and drag'n'drop all messages into their respective folders in the new mailboxes.  This could take hours.</p><p> <b>Could take hours but the simplest way is to simply copy all of the files (except pmail.ini) from one user mail directory to the others user mail directory and then run as the other users to delete the folders that do not pertain to that user.  Should not take all that long with 300 folders. </b> </p><p> Is there a simple way of moving a whole lot of folders at the same time? I could run several instances of WinPMail, one for each identity, but </p><ol><li>it's a pain, and</li><li>there are some situations where people email me across identities over the same subject - so I'd need to be able to move the incorrectly addressed emails into the correct folders, which wouldn't be as easy with separate instances. </li></ol><p>I HAVE checked the FAQs and done a search of these fora, but nothing stood out as being relevant to my question. Maybe I used the wrong keyword, but "mailbox" seemed to be the obvious one. </p><p> Shah  </p>[/quote]

Hi Thomas,

Could take hours but the simplest way is to simply copy all of the

files (except pmail.ini) from one user mail directory to the others

user mail directory and then run as the other users to delete the

folders that do not pertain to that user.  Should not take all that

long with 300 folders.

Hmmm... Hours... that's a significant keyword there. I'd already thought of something like that - but figured that SURELY there must be something better?

Besides, I don't want to run as different users. Same user, different identities. I thought that it won't display folders with the same ID even if they're in different mailboxes?

Ideally, I still want all the folders on the same window without having to create different users. The reason I have to separate them is because one of the accounts is moving to Microsoft Exchange. and we will no longer be allowed POP access. I would still prefer to use Pegasus Mail in IMAP mode, and forego some of the better usability that Outlook offers in preference for the PM functionality. But it means that that identity will have to move.

Much as I have been a complete fanboy and advocate for Pegasus Mail from as far back as version 1.xxx, I regret to say that this one of the things that puts it on par with Linux in deterring its uptake - i.e. you can do anything you want and more, but for some of the most basic things (from the user's point of view), it means you have to do some serious "fiddling", which shouldn't be necessary.

Maybe there's a utilities or plugin somewhere out there that will do what's required?

Shah 

<p>Hi Thomas,</p><p><b>Could take hours but the simplest way is to simply copy all of the files (except pmail.ini) from one user mail directory to the others user mail directory and then run as the other users to delete the folders that do not pertain to that user.  Should not take all that long with 300 folders.</b></p><p>Hmmm... Hours... that's a significant keyword there. I'd already thought of something like that - but figured that SURELY there must be something better? </p><p>Besides, I don't want to run as different users. Same user, different identities. I thought that it won't display folders with the same ID even if they're in different mailboxes? </p><p>Ideally, I still want all the folders on the same window without having to create different users. The reason I have to separate them is because one of the accounts is moving to Microsoft Exchange. and we will no longer be allowed POP access. I would still prefer to use Pegasus Mail in IMAP mode, and forego some of the better usability that Outlook offers in preference for the PM functionality. But it means that that identity will have to move. </p><p>Much as I have been a complete fanboy and advocate for Pegasus Mail from as far back as version 1.xxx, I regret to say that this one of the things that puts it on par with Linux in deterring its uptake - i.e. you can do anything you want and more, but for some of the most basic things (from the user's point of view), it means you have to do some serious "fiddling", which shouldn't be necessary. </p><p>Maybe there's a utilities or plugin somewhere out there that will do what's required? </p><p>Shah </p>

[quote user="Shaharin"]

Hi Thomas,

Could take hours but the simplest way is to simply copy all of the

files (except pmail.ini) from one user mail directory to the others

user mail directory and then run as the other users to delete the

folders that do not pertain to that user.  Should not take all that

long with 300 folders.

Hmmm... Hours... that's a significant keyword there. I'd already thought of something like that - but figured that SURELY there must be something better?

Not sure what the big deal is, the whole process with 300 folders and 4-5 users should not take more than about an hour.  I've done this in the past.   I could not do this as fast with Outlook either.

Besides, I don't want to run as different users. Same user, different identities. I thought that it won't display folders with the same ID even if they're in different mailboxes?

Huh?  Different identites are just that, identities.  They see everything to top level user does.  I guess I really do not know what you are trying to accomplish.

Ideally, I still want all the folders on the same window without having to create different users. The reason I have to separate them is because one of the accounts is moving to Microsoft Exchange. and we will no longer be allowed POP access. I would still prefer to use Pegasus Mail in IMAP mode, and forego some of the better usability that Outlook offers in preference for the PM functionality. But it means that that identity will have to move.

Are you trying to say you want to move some of these 300 folder into the Exchange IMAP4 setup?  That should not be all that difficult.  You just create the folders in the IMAP4 accont and drag and drop the mail from the other folders into the IMAP4 folders.  Transfer speed if going to be based on the speed of the connection but it will work.  It's faster if both folders are open as well when you do the copy.  I would do a simple copy and not a move since it's both safer and faster.

Much as I have been a complete fanboy and advocate for Pegasus Mail from as far back as version 1.xxx, I regret to say that this one of the things that puts it on par with Linux in deterring its uptake - i.e. you can do anything you want and more, but for some of the most basic things (from the user's point of view), it means you have to do some serious "fiddling", which shouldn't be necessary.

Maybe there's a utilities or plugin somewhere out there that will do what's required?

Nope, none out there unless I totally have missed the boat here.

Shah 

[/quote]
[quote user="Shaharin"]<p>Hi Thomas,</p><p><b>Could take hours but the simplest way is to simply copy all of the files (except pmail.ini) from one user mail directory to the others user mail directory and then run as the other users to delete the folders that do not pertain to that user.  Should not take all that long with 300 folders.</b></p><p>Hmmm... Hours... that's a significant keyword there. I'd already thought of something like that - but figured that SURELY there must be something better?</p><p><b>Not sure what the big deal is, the whole process with 300 folders and 4-5 users should not take more than about an hour.  I've done this in the past.   I could not do this as fast with Outlook either. </b></p><p>Besides, I don't want to run as different users. Same user, different identities. I thought that it won't display folders with the same ID even if they're in different mailboxes?</p><p><b>Huh?  Different identites are just that, identities.  They see everything to top level user does.  I guess I really do not know what you are trying to accomplish. </b></p><p>Ideally, I still want all the folders on the same window without having to create different users. The reason I have to separate them is because one of the accounts is moving to Microsoft Exchange. and we will no longer be allowed POP access. I would still prefer to use Pegasus Mail in IMAP mode, and forego some of the better usability that Outlook offers in preference for the PM functionality. But it means that that identity will have to move.</p><p><b>Are you trying to say you want to move some of these 300 folder into the Exchange IMAP4 setup?  That should not be all that difficult.  You just create the folders in the IMAP4 accont and drag and drop the mail from the other folders into the IMAP4 folders.  Transfer speed if going to be based on the speed of the connection but it will work.  It's faster if both folders are open as well when you do the copy.  I would do a simple copy and not a move since it's both safer and faster. </b></p><p>Much as I have been a complete fanboy and advocate for Pegasus Mail from as far back as version 1.xxx, I regret to say that this one of the things that puts it on par with Linux in deterring its uptake - i.e. you can do anything you want and more, but for some of the most basic things (from the user's point of view), it means you have to do some serious "fiddling", which shouldn't be necessary. </p><p>Maybe there's a utilities or plugin somewhere out there that will do what's required?</p><p><b>Nope, none out there unless I totally have missed the boat here.</b></p><p> </p><p>Shah </p>[/quote]
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft