Community Discussions and Support
Autoreplies rejected by some email servers

[quote user="Sellerie"][quote user="Anaglypta"]

E 20180228 171521 5a1d7606 DATA state failure - 554 Message rejected on 2018/02/28 17:15:21 GMT, policy (3.2.1.1) – Your messa

T 20180228 171521 5a1d7606 Connection closed normally. 

[/quote]

Please can you post the complete entry? I think the interesting part comes after "Your message" 

[/quote]

Sellerie,

The Mercury smtpE log file has been truncated, so that is all I have. But the intertesting bit is "policy (3.2.1.1)" which from this email provider (British Telecom in the UK) means "Your message was rejected because the "FROM" field is empty." I don't blame BT for doing this, I also do this using a Transaction Filter M, "*", RSN, "554 Your message was rejected because the "FROM" field is empty."

In order to overcome this I have now set up a client to receive messages for this account and created some filter rules to achieve this:-

• Match all messages
  • Reply with template
  • Mark as read
  • Delete message

It is annoying that I have no solution in Mercury.

John.

[quote user="Sellerie"][quote user="Anaglypta"]<p><span style="font-size: 10pt;">E 20180228 171521 5a1d7606 DATA state failure - 554 Message rejected on 2018/02/28 17:15:21 GMT, policy (3.2.1.1) – Your messa</span></p><p>T 20180228 171521 5a1d7606 Connection closed normally. </p><p>[/quote]</p><p><span style="font-family: Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica; font-size: 12.096px;">Please can you post the complete entry? I think the interesting part comes after "Your message"</span> </p><p>[/quote]</p><p>Sellerie,</p><p>The Mercury smtpE log file has been truncated, so that is all I have. But the intertesting bit is "policy (3.2.1.1)" which from this email provider (British Telecom in the UK) means "Your message was rejected because the "FROM" field is empty." I don't blame BT for doing this, I also do this using a Transaction Filter <b>M, "*", RSN, "554 </b><b>Your message was rejected because the "FROM" field is empty."</b></p><p>In order to overcome this I have now set up a client to receive messages for this account and created some filter rules to achieve this:-</p><ul><li>Match all messages</li><li>Reply with template</li><li>Mark as read</li><li>Delete message </li></ul><p>It is annoying that I have no solution in Mercury.</p><p>John. </p>

I have set up an autresponder using a "Simple Autoreply" as described in the Mercury help file, which sends back a text file AREPLY.PM from a real account responder@mydomain.

Recently I am getting a lot of failures which look like they are being rejected because the FROM field is blank. Snippet of MercuryE log below (edited to remove user name from email address).

Is there any way around this, or an alternative way of sending auto replies where the from field is populated.

John.

T 20180228 171516 5a1d7606 Begin processing job MO00044B from <>

T 20180228 171517 5a1d7606 Established ESMTP connection to 65.20.0.49

T 20180228 171517 5a1d7606 MAIL FROM:<> SIZE=855

T 20180228 171517 5a1d7606 250 MAIL FROM:<> OK

T 20180228 171517 5a1d7606 RCPT TO:<a.user@btinternet.com>

T 20180228 171517 5a1d7606 250 RCPT TO:<a.user@btinternet.com> OK

E 20180228 171521 5a1d7606 DATA state failure - 554 Message rejected on 2018/02/28 17:15:21 GMT, policy (3.2.1.1) – Your messa

&lt;p&gt;I have set up an autresponder using&amp;nbsp;&lt;span style=&quot;font-size: 10pt;&quot;&gt;a &quot;Simple Autoreply&quot; as described in the Mercury help file, which sends back a text file AREPLY.PM from a real account responder@mydomain.&lt;/span&gt;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;Recently I am getting a lot of failures which look like they are being rejected because the FROM field is blank. Snippet of MercuryE log below (edited to remove user name from email address).&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;Is there any way around this, or an alternative way of sending auto replies where the from field is populated.&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;John.&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt; &lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;T 20180228 171516 5a1d7606 Begin processing job MO00044B from &amp;lt;&amp;gt;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;T 20180228 171517 5a1d7606 Established ESMTP connection to 65.20.0.49&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;T 20180228 171517 5a1d7606 MAIL FROM:&amp;lt;&amp;gt; SIZE=855&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;T 20180228 171517 5a1d7606 250 MAIL FROM:&amp;lt;&amp;gt; OK&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;T 20180228 171517 5a1d7606 RCPT TO:&amp;lt;a.user@btinternet.com&amp;gt;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;T 20180228 171517 5a1d7606 250 RCPT TO:&amp;lt;a.user@btinternet.com&amp;gt; OK&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;E 20180228 171521 5a1d7606 DATA state failure - 554 Message rejected on 2018/02/28 17:15:21 GMT, policy (3.2.1.1) &acirc;&euro;&ldquo; Your messa&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;T 20180228 171521 5a1d7606 Connection closed normally.&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;

Hi John,

can't help on this, but in addition had a test with following headers found in autoreply:

Return-Path: <>
X-Autoreply-From: <synonym@xxx.domain.de>
To: <mailsender@anydomain.de>
Subject: [Autoreply] Re: Test

It seems Mercury knows the correct mailaddress of the user sending autoreply, but doesn't include it in Envelope-From. [:(]

bye    Olaf

&lt;p&gt;Hi John,&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;can&#039;t help on this, but in addition had a test with following headers found in autoreply:&lt;/p&gt;&lt;blockquote&gt;&lt;p&gt;Return-Path: &amp;lt;&amp;gt; X-Autoreply-From: &amp;lt;synonym@xxx.domain.de&amp;gt; From: &amp;lt;synonym@xxx.domain.de&amp;gt; To: &amp;lt;mailsender@anydomain.de&amp;gt; Subject: [Autoreply] Re: Test&lt;/p&gt;&lt;/blockquote&gt;&lt;p&gt;It seems Mercury knows the correct mailaddress of the user sending autoreply, but doesn&#039;t include it in Envelope-From. [:(]&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;bye &amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp; Olaf&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;

[quote user="Anaglypta"]

[/quote]

Please can you post the complete entry? I think the interesting part comes after "Your message" 

[quote user=&quot;Anaglypta&quot;]&lt;p&gt;&lt;span style=&quot;font-size: 10pt;&quot;&gt;E 20180228 171521 5a1d7606 DATA state failure - 554 Message rejected on 2018/02/28 17:15:21 GMT, policy (3.2.1.1) &acirc;&euro;&ldquo; Your messa&lt;/span&gt;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;T 20180228 171521 5a1d7606 Connection closed normally.&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;[/quote]&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&lt;span style=&quot;font-family: Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica; font-size: 12.096px;&quot;&gt;Please can you post the complete entry? I think the interesting part comes after &quot;Your message&quot;&lt;/span&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;

Hi,

We are using Mercury's SYNONYM.MER database functionality to "translate" our official (internet) user e-mail addresses into the local user names and vice versa. For example:

"a.testname@domain.com" is connected to the local user account of user "at". Means, when the local user "at" is sending an e-mail to the internet, Mercury is replacing his local user name (at@domain.com) by the full name defined in synonym.mer.

When activating the autoresponse function in Pmail, Mercury is using "at@domain.com" as sender's address for autoresponse mails. At the beginning I was annoyed about it, but in the meantime I believe this "feature" has also advantages. Spammers, which are sending their mails to thousands of possible addresses, don't get back a confirmation of my real address. Further my autoresponse mails, which contain the sentence "Do not reply to this mail", could really not be used for responses to me.

Refer also to former discussions in this regard: http://community.pmail.com/forums/thread/41750.aspx

&lt;p&gt;Hi,&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;We are using Mercury&#039;s SYNONYM.MER database functionality to &quot;translate&quot; our official (internet) user e-mail addresses into the local user names and vice versa. For example:&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&quot;a.testname@domain.com&quot; is connected to the local user account of user &quot;at&quot;. Means, when the local user &quot;at&quot; is sending an e-mail to the internet, Mercury is replacing his local user name (at@domain.com) by the full name defined in synonym.mer.&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;When activating the autoresponse function in Pmail, Mercury is using &quot;at@domain.com&quot; as sender&#039;s address for autoresponse mails. At the beginning I was annoyed about it, but in the meantime I believe this &quot;feature&quot; has also advantages. Spammers, which are sending their mails to thousands of possible addresses, don&#039;t get back a confirmation of my real address. Further my autoresponse mails, which contain the sentence &quot;Do not reply to this mail&quot;, could really not be used for responses to me.&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;Refer also to former discussions in this regard: http://community.pmail.com/forums/thread/41750.aspx &lt;/p&gt;

[quote]We are using Mercury's SYNONYM.MER database functionality to "translate" our official (internet) user e-mail addresses into the local user names and vice versa.[/quote]

/me too, but ...

[quote]When activating the autoresponse function in Pmail, Mercury is using "at@domain.com" as sender's address for autoresponse mails.[/quote]

... as shown in posting above in my case Mercury replaces "from" with synonym.

Hmm ... maybe the difference is, that my Mercury runs with NDS-module for accessing eDirectory of Novell Netware and takes synonym directly from there instead of using synonym.mer?! Seems Mercury behaves different depending on infrastructure.

Anyway - the problem of Anaglypta remains the same in all cases: Mercury includes a mail-from but doesn't inculde an envelope-from and more and more servers reject mails, if it is not filled.

[quote]At the beginning I was annoyed about it, but in the meantime I believe this "feature" has also advantages.[/quote]

No - if the recipient of the autoreply can't identify who is autoreplying (because username and synonym may not be similar enough), he may wonder, why he is getting no answer. Sorry - not acceptable.

bye    Olaf
&lt;p&gt;[quote]We are using Mercury&#039;s SYNONYM.MER database functionality to &quot;translate&quot; our official (internet) user e-mail addresses into the local user names and vice versa.[/quote]&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;/me too, but ... &lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;[quote]When activating the autoresponse function in Pmail, Mercury is using &quot;at@domain.com&quot; as sender&#039;s address for autoresponse mails.[/quote]&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;... as shown in posting above in my case Mercury replaces &quot;from&quot; with synonym.&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;Hmm ... maybe the difference is, that my Mercury runs with NDS-module for accessing eDirectory of Novell Netware and takes synonym directly from there instead of using synonym.mer?! Seems Mercury behaves different depending on infrastructure. &lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;Anyway - the problem of &lt;a mce_href=&quot;http://community.pmail.com/members/Anaglypta.aspx&quot; href=&quot;http://community.pmail.com/members/Anaglypta.aspx&quot;&gt;Anaglypta&lt;/a&gt; remains the same in all cases: Mercury includes a mail-from but doesn&#039;t inculde an envelope-from and more and more servers reject mails, if it is not filled. &lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;[quote]At the beginning I was annoyed about it, but in the meantime I believe this &quot;feature&quot; has also advantages.[/quote]&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;No - if the recipient of the autoreply can&#039;t identify who is autoreplying (because username and synonym may not be similar enough), he may wonder, why he is getting no answer. Sorry - not acceptable. &lt;/p&gt;bye&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp; Olaf

[quote user="FJR"]No - if the recipient of the autoreply can't identify who is autoreplying (because username and synonym may not be similar enough), he may wonder, why he is getting no answer. Sorry - not acceptable.
bye    Olaf[/quote]

Generally I would agree. But as per my experiences with Mercury over years it doesn't matter. The "wrong" reply address still contains our domain name and the user initials. Further the reply mail text contains our service numbers - insofar no problem for our customers to identify the sender.

But of course, in case more and more mail servers don't accept empty "envelope" sections, this should be bugfixed.

Gruß aus Rostock

Jörg 

&lt;p&gt;[quote user=&quot;FJR&quot;]&lt;span style=&quot;font-size: 10pt;&quot;&gt;No - if the recipient of the autoreply can&#039;t identify who is autoreplying (because username and synonym may not be similar enough), he may wonder, why he is getting no answer. Sorry - not acceptable.&lt;/span&gt; bye&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp; Olaf[/quote]&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;Generally I would agree. But as per my experiences with Mercury over years it doesn&#039;t matter. The &quot;wrong&quot; reply address still contains our domain name and the user initials. Further the reply mail text contains our service numbers - insofar no problem for our customers to identify the sender.&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;But of course, in case more and more mail servers don&#039;t accept empty &quot;envelope&quot; sections, this should be bugfixed.&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;Gru&szlig; aus Rostock&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;J&ouml;rg&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft