Community Discussions and Support
how to make internet "mailto:" links working with Pmail?

Hi Michael,

Just to let you know I have downloaded this document set already.  The format is extremely complex, and I really don't think I can cope with fathoming out what Microsoft is trying to achieve. I have obtained the pointers to the various sections of a DOCX file and I know the headers for PDF and ZIP files, as well as standard *.doc files. So I will try an experimental version of Mapipm to extract these files programatically.

I have located the blocks that contain the email message header lines and body content as well, so I may be able to re-constitute the original email message, or close to it.

That being said this will likely take some time.

Martin

If that works to satisfactions I will then work on other filetypes like *.XLS etc

<p>Hi Michael,</p><p>  Just to let you know I have downloaded this document set already.  The format is extremely complex, and I really don't think I can cope with fathoming out what Microsoft is trying to achieve. I have obtained the pointers to the various sections of a DOCX file and I know the headers for PDF and ZIP files, as well as standard *.doc files. So I will try an experimental version of Mapipm to extract these files programatically.</p><p>I have located the blocks that contain the email message header lines and body content as well, so I may be able to re-constitute the original email message, or close to it.</p><p>That being said this will likely take some time.</p><p> Martin </p><p> </p><p>If that works to satisfactions I will then work on other filetypes like *.XLS etc </p>

Hi Guys,

I could not imagine that this was never be asked until now, but the search didn't return any results in this regard.

How I could make "mailto:" links working with Pmail? We are mainly using the current version of Firefox and I'm aware that I have to go to the firefox settings to assign Pegasus for "mailto:" links. But it doesn't work. BTW, our Pmail installation is on a server where different users are starting their own Pmail session from the same location. Means, when starting Pmail, the option -i <local_username> has to be added to the path. But I'm not able to add the user name as an additional option within the firefox settings. Also in case Pmail is already started and I click a mailto: link (where Pmail is added within firefox settings but without local user option) - nothing happens. Has anybody a clue or is it impossible?

Cheers

Joerg

&lt;p&gt;Hi Guys,&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;I could not imagine that this was never be asked until now, but the search didn&#039;t return any results in this regard.&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;How I could make &quot;mailto:&quot; links working with Pmail? We are mainly using the current version of Firefox and I&#039;m aware that I have to go to the firefox settings to assign Pegasus for &quot;mailto:&quot; links. But it doesn&#039;t work. BTW, our Pmail installation is on a server where different users are starting their own Pmail session from the same location. Means, when starting Pmail, the option -i &amp;lt;local_username&amp;gt; has to be added to the path. But I&#039;m not able to add the user name as an additional option within the firefox settings. Also in case Pmail is already started and I click a mailto: link (where Pmail is added within firefox settings but without local user option) - nothing happens. Has anybody a clue or is it impossible?&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;Cheers&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;Joerg &lt;/p&gt;

Greetings Joerg,

In the OS, the Pegasus Mail WSENDTO Utility needs to be set as the default for the mailto: protocol.  It won't be available as an option to the OS if the appropriate registry entries don't exist.  If that's the case, run WSSETUP.EXE one each workstation (if you didn't already), followed by SETPMDEFAULT.EXE.  You should then be able to select Pegasus Mail WSENDTO Utility as the default for mailto:.

&lt;p&gt;Greetings Joerg,&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;In the OS, the Pegasus Mail WSENDTO Utility needs to be set as the default for the mailto: protocol.&amp;nbsp; It won&#039;t be available as an option to the OS if the appropriate registry entries don&#039;t exist.&amp;nbsp; If that&#039;s the case, run WSSETUP.EXE one each workstation (if you didn&#039;t already), followed by SETPMDEFAULT.EXE.&amp;nbsp; You should then be able to select Pegasus Mail WSENDTO Utility as the default for mailto:. &lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt; &lt;/p&gt;

Hi Brian,

Thanks for the hint. Now I remember the wsendto utility. Great. I will test it tomorrow.

It seems I have to create my own Pmail Wiki here, where I save such important things. Otherwise they are getting lost in my mind. ;-)

Greetings

Joerg 

&lt;p&gt;Hi Brian,&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&lt;span style=&quot;font-size: 10pt;&quot;&gt;Thanks for the hint. Now I remember the wsendto utility. Great. I will test it tomorrow.&lt;/span&gt;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;It seems I have to create my own Pmail Wiki here, where I save such important things. Otherwise they are getting lost in my mind. ;-)&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;Greetings&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;Joerg&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;

[quote user="Joerg"]It seems I have to create my own Pmail Wiki here, where I save such important things. Otherwise they are getting lost in my mind. ;-)[/quote]

I know exactly what you mean.  I now have two different Pmail "Wikis".  One at the office maintained on an app called Treepad Lite.  The other is on the flash drive from which my support instance of PMail runs.  It's made up of a bunch of .txt files.  Treepad Lite is an awesome tool for freeform note making.  OTOH, the .txt file approach needs some work. :-)

&lt;p&gt;[quote user=&quot;Joerg&quot;]It seems I have to create my own Pmail Wiki here, where I save such important things. Otherwise they are getting lost in my mind. ;-)[/quote]&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;I know exactly what you mean.&amp;nbsp; I now have two different Pmail &quot;Wikis&quot;.&amp;nbsp; One at the office maintained on an app called Treepad Lite.&amp;nbsp; The other is on the flash drive from which my support instance of PMail runs.&amp;nbsp; It&#039;s made up of a bunch of .txt files.&amp;nbsp; Treepad Lite is an awesome tool for freeform note making.&amp;nbsp; OTOH, the .txt file approach needs some work. :-) &lt;/p&gt;

Hi Brian,

Standard internet "mailto:" links are working again. Fine so far. Thanks again. I have directly made a new entry into our DokuWiki to rescue this information from fading out [:S]. The DokuWiki which we are using is a simple to use and highly versatile Open Source wiki software that doesn't require a database. But of course, all users have to be familiar with the syntax, which differs from html (https://dokuwiki.org)

But one issue remains in connection with mailto: links:  We often have to login into an online document management system of one of our customers. Therein you can select different files. When all needed things are collected you can click on a button "Send by E-mail". This causes that Outlook is being started and the selected files will be handed over and directly attached to a new e-mail. As far as I can see, a ".msg" file will be handed over to Outlook. I have changed Windows preselections in that manner that also msg files are assigned to Pegasus, but unfortunately it doesn't work. Pegasus doesn't start. Now we are thinking about to install Outlook (additionally to Pmail) with a separate E-mail address. But this is not my favorite way.

Cheers

Joerg

&lt;p&gt;Hi Brian,&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;Standard internet &quot;mailto:&quot; links are working again. Fine so far. Thanks again. I have directly made a new entry into our DokuWiki to rescue this information from fading out [:S]. The DokuWiki which we are using is a simple to use and highly versatile Open Source wiki software that doesn&#039;t require a database. But of course, all users have to be familiar with the syntax, which differs from html (https://dokuwiki.org)&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;But one issue remains in connection with mailto: links:&amp;nbsp; We often have to login into an online document management system of one of our customers. Therein you can select different files. When all needed things are collected you can click on a button &quot;Send by E-mail&quot;. This causes that Outlook is being started and the selected files will be handed over and directly attached to a new e-mail. As far as I can see, a &quot;.msg&quot; file will be handed over to Outlook. I have changed Windows preselections in that manner that also msg files are assigned to Pegasus, but unfortunately it doesn&#039;t work. Pegasus doesn&#039;t start. Now we are thinking about to install Outlook (additionally to Pmail) with a separate E-mail address. But this is not my favorite way.&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;Cheers&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;Joerg &lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;

[quote user="Joerg"]But one issue remains in connection with mailto: links:  We often have to login into an online document management system of one of our customers. Therein you can select different files. When all needed things are collected you can click on a button "Send by E-mail". This causes that Outlook is being started and the selected files will be handed over and directly attached to a new e-mail. As far as I can see, a ".msg" file will be handed over to Outlook. I have changed Windows preselections in that manner that also msg files are assigned to Pegasus, but unfortunately it doesn't work. Pegasus doesn't start. Now we are thinking about to install Outlook (additionally to Pmail) with a separate E-mail address. But this is not my favorite way.[/quote]

I don't exactly remember whether MAPIPM is installed by default with Pegasus Mail, but it's very likely the missing link. You can download it from Martin's tools page, it should provide further instructions and you may need to run SetPMDefault again after putting the DLL file into its proper place.

&lt;p&gt;[quote user=&quot;Joerg&quot;]But one issue remains in connection with mailto: links:&amp;nbsp; We often have to login into an online document management system of one of our customers. Therein you can select different files. When all needed things are collected you can click on a button &quot;Send by E-mail&quot;. This causes that Outlook is being started and the selected files will be handed over and directly attached to a new e-mail. As far as I can see, a &quot;.msg&quot; file will be handed over to Outlook. I have changed Windows preselections in that manner that also msg files are assigned to Pegasus, but unfortunately it doesn&#039;t work. Pegasus doesn&#039;t start. Now we are thinking about to install Outlook (additionally to Pmail) with a separate E-mail address. But this is not my favorite way.[/quote]&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;I don&#039;t exactly remember whether MAPIPM is installed by default with Pegasus Mail, but it&#039;s very likely the missing link. You can download it from &lt;a mce_href=&quot;http://www3.telus.net/public/irelam/&quot; target=&quot;_blank&quot; href=&quot;http://www3.telus.net/public/irelam/&quot;&gt;Martin&#039;s tools page&lt;/a&gt;, it should provide further instructions and you may need to run SetPMDefault again after putting the DLL file into its proper place. &lt;/p&gt;
			Michael
--
IERenderer's Homepage
PGP Key ID (RSA 2048): 0xC45D831B
S/MIME Fingerprint: 94C6B471 0C623088 A5B27701 742B8666 3B7E657C

Moin Martin,

Thanks for the link. Sounds good. I will test it and come through with the result.

Gruss aus Rostock

Joerg

&lt;p&gt;Moin Martin,&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;Thanks for the link. Sounds good. I will test it and come through with the result.&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;Gruss aus Rostock&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;Joerg &lt;/p&gt;

Hallo Martin,

Just downloaded and replaced the existing mapipm.dll with the newer one from Martin's tool page. The dll has been placed at the server drive where our multi-user Pmail installation resides (\\server\Pmail$\Programs\). Further I have checked that the registry key for Pmail is in place at my workstation. Nevertheless I have also executed the SetPMdefault.exe again.

But finally any file handing-over to Pmail fails. When trying to use the Windows Explorer right click "send to:" functionality as recommended for testing by Martin, the Windows Explorer returns the error: "The file or folder "wsendto.exe", where the link relates to, could not be find. Sound like a link problem, but standard "mailto:" links are working.

&lt;p&gt;Hallo Martin,&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;Just downloaded and replaced the existing mapipm.dll with the newer one from Martin&#039;s tool page. The dll has been placed at the server drive where our multi-user Pmail installation resides (\\server\Pmail$\Programs\). Further I have checked that the registry key for Pmail is in place at my workstation. Nevertheless I have also executed the SetPMdefault.exe again.&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;But finally any file handing-over to Pmail fails. When trying to use the Windows Explorer right click &quot;send to:&quot; functionality as recommended for testing by Martin, the Windows Explorer returns the error: &quot;The file or folder &quot;wsendto.exe&quot;, where the link relates to, could not be find. Sound like a link problem, but standard &quot;mailto:&quot; links are working. &lt;/p&gt;

Jeorg,

Check the sendto link on the PC...

C:\Users\{YourUsername}\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\SendTo

For the Pegasus Mail option I have:

Pegasus Mail.LNK with a target of H:\PMAIL\WSENDTO.EXE

There is also a Mail Recipient.MAPIMail entry.  You can specify the "opens with" app in it's properties.  I haven't encountered a need to mess with this so mine is not specified.  I assume it should point to wsendto but don't know for certain. 

&lt;p&gt;Jeorg,&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;Check the sendto link on the PC... &lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;C:\Users\{YourUsername}\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\SendTo&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;For the Pegasus Mail option I have:&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;Pegasus Mail.LNK with a target of H:\PMAIL\WSENDTO.EXE &lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;There is also a Mail Recipient.MAPIMail entry.&amp;nbsp; You can specify the &quot;opens with&quot; app in it&#039;s properties.&amp;nbsp; I haven&#039;t encountered a need to mess with this so mine is not specified.&amp;nbsp; I assume it should point to wsendto but don&#039;t know for certain.&amp;nbsp; &lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt; &lt;/p&gt;

Hi Michael and Brian,

It becomes better more and more...  [:)]

And although the Mailto standard in Windows has been set by SetPMdefault, the link at C:\Users\{YourUsername}\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\SendTo was still wrong. After setting it to the server share where Pmail resides, the "Sendto:" function in Windows (e.g. from Windows Explorer context menu) works and hands over the selected file as an attachment to Pmail. Good so far. Thanks Brian for the link.

But back to the Customer's Online Document Management System: When trying to send the selected files by mail, the system still creates a msg file (e.g. data.msg) which will be handed over to Pmail right now. Pmail starts, creates a new mail where this msg file is attached. Fine so far, but nobody is able to read this "msg" file.

It seems this Customer Document Management System is only programmed for collaboration with Outlook. That's why it doesn't hand over the original files but creates a msg file which contains all single files.

&lt;p&gt;Hi Michael and Brian,&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;It becomes better more and more...&amp;nbsp; [:)]&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;And although the Mailto standard in Windows has been set by SetPMdefault, the link at C:\Users\{YourUsername}\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\SendTo was still wrong. After setting it to the server share where Pmail resides, the &quot;Sendto:&quot; function in Windows (e.g. from Windows Explorer context menu) works and hands over the selected file as an attachment to Pmail. Good so far. Thanks Brian for the link. &lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;But back to the Customer&#039;s Online Document Management System: When trying to send the selected files by mail, the system still creates a msg file (e.g. data.msg) which will be handed over to Pmail right now. Pmail starts, creates a new mail where this msg file is attached. Fine so far, but nobody is able to read this &quot;msg&quot; file.&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;It seems this Customer Document Management System is only programmed for collaboration with Outlook. That&#039;s why it doesn&#039;t hand over the original files but creates a msg file which contains all single files. &lt;/p&gt;

[quote user="Joerg"]But back to the Customer's Online Document Management System: When trying to send the selected files by mail, the system still creates a msg file (e.g. data.msg) which will be handed over to Pmail right now. Pmail starts, creates a new mail where this msg file is attached. Fine so far, but nobody is able to read this "msg" file.

It seems this Customer Document Management System is only programmed for collaboration with Outlook. That's why it doesn't hand over the original files but creates a msg file which contains all single files.[/quote]

Gotta love software that requires specific third party apps.  I have a contract job billing app that requires Outlook to email documents and an accounting app that requires Adobe Reader to view documents as pdf.   Luckily I can save the documents as pdf files and work with them from there.  That's probably not an option or not practical in the online system you're dealing with.

[quote user=&quot;Joerg&quot;]But back to the Customer&#039;s Online Document Management System: When trying to send the selected files by mail, the system still creates a msg file (e.g. data.msg) which will be handed over to Pmail right now. Pmail starts, creates a new mail where this msg file is attached. Fine so far, but nobody is able to read this &quot;msg&quot; file.&lt;p&gt;It seems this Customer Document Management System is only programmed for collaboration with Outlook. That&#039;s why it doesn&#039;t hand over the original files but creates a msg file which contains all single files.[/quote]&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;Gotta love software that requires specific third party apps.&amp;nbsp; I have a contract job billing app that requires Outlook to email documents and an accounting app that requires Adobe Reader to view documents as pdf. &amp;nbsp; Luckily I can save the documents as pdf files and work with them from there.&amp;nbsp; That&#039;s probably not an option or not practical in the online system you&#039;re dealing with. &lt;/p&gt;

I don't know how your system is set up, but if Wsendto.exe cannot be found, that seems to indicate that Wsendto.exe is not in c:\pmail\programs directory.  You could put it in a directory that is listed in your PATH environmental variable (control panel/system/advanced settings/environmental variables).

As to what MSG files contain, I cannot comment without an example being sent to me (irelam17@telus.net). I no longer have an Microsoft Outlook client to use to test these links.

Martin.

&lt;p&gt;I don&#039;t know how your system is set up, but if Wsendto.exe cannot be found, that seems to indicate that Wsendto.exe is not in c:\pmail\programs directory.&amp;nbsp; You could put it in a directory that is listed in your PATH environmental variable (control panel/system/advanced settings/environmental variables).&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;As to what MSG files contain, I cannot comment without an example being sent to me (irelam17@telus.net). I no longer have an Microsoft Outlook client to use to test these links. &lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&amp;nbsp;Martin. &lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;

From what I can gather, a .msg file contains the entire message content (headers,body, & attachments).  I suspect the .msg extension gets associated with Outlook during installation.

I wonder whether a .msg file could be converted to a .101 file that Mercury could send.  Unfortunately that's way above my level of knowledge.

&lt;p&gt;From what I can gather, a .msg file contains the entire message content (headers,body, &amp;amp; attachments).&amp;nbsp; I suspect the .msg extension gets associated with Outlook during installation. &lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;I wonder whether a .msg file could be converted to a .101 file that Mercury could send.&amp;nbsp; Unfortunately that&#039;s way above my level of knowledge. &lt;/p&gt;

[quote user="irelam"]I don't know how your system is set up, but if Wsendto.exe cannot be found, that seems to indicate that Wsendto.exe is not in c:\pmail\programs directory.[/quote]

In the meantime, as stated above, Window's sendto: path has been adjusted to the server share where wsendto.exe resides. And it works now.

[quote user="irelam"]As to what MSG files contain, I cannot comment without an example being sent to me (irelam17@telus.net).[/quote]

I try to provide you with such an example msg file tomorrow.

[quote user="Brian Fluet"]From what I can gather, a .msg file

contains the entire message content (headers,body, & attachments).  I

suspect the .msg extension gets associated with Outlook during

installation.

I wonder whether a .msg file could be converted to a

.101 file that Mercury could send.  Unfortunately that's way above my

level of knowledge.[/quote]

I think so, Brian. We have send a query to the creator of that document management system (called DocMap). But I'm afraid their system could only provide such msg files.

In Germany (and Europe) we have changed the clock to summer time last week. And today there is the first day of about 17°C. [H] Should be about 62.6 °F, if I calculate correctly. Could think about a first little barbecue. Nice after office hours and until tomorrow.

Cheers

Joerg

&lt;p&gt;[quote user=&quot;irelam&quot;]I don&#039;t know how your system is set up, but if Wsendto.exe cannot be found, that seems to indicate that Wsendto.exe is not in c:\pmail\programs directory.[/quote]&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;In the meantime, as stated above, Window&#039;s sendto: path has been adjusted to the server share where wsendto.exe resides. And it works now.&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;[quote user=&quot;irelam&quot;]As to what MSG files contain, I cannot comment without an example being sent to me (irelam17@telus.net).[/quote]&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;I try to provide you with such an example msg file tomorrow. &lt;/p&gt;[quote user=&quot;Brian Fluet&quot;]From what I can gather, a .msg file contains the entire message content (headers,body, &amp;amp; attachments).&amp;nbsp; I suspect the .msg extension gets associated with Outlook during installation. &lt;p&gt;I wonder whether a .msg file could be converted to a .101 file that Mercury could send.&amp;nbsp; Unfortunately that&#039;s way above my level of knowledge.[/quote]&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;I think so, Brian. We have send a query to the creator of that document management system (called DocMap). But I&#039;m afraid their system could only provide such msg files.&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;In Germany (and Europe) we have changed the clock to summer time last week. And today there is the first day of about 17&deg;C. [H] Should be about 62.6 &deg;F, if I calculate correctly. Could think about a first little barbecue. Nice after office hours and until tomorrow.&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;Cheers&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;Joerg &lt;/p&gt;

Just a short note about SetPMDefault: It only sets proper Registry entries based on a local Pegasus Mail installation, and you need to run it with elevated access rights (Admin). I don't know whether this handles client/server environments properly.

Just a short note about SetPMDefault: It only sets proper Registry entries based on a local Pegasus Mail installation, and you need to run it with elevated access rights (Admin). I don&#039;t know whether this handles client/server environments properly.
			Michael
--
IERenderer's Homepage
PGP Key ID (RSA 2048): 0xC45D831B
S/MIME Fingerprint: 94C6B471 0C623088 A5B27701 742B8666 3B7E657C

[quote user="idw"]Just a short note about SetPMDefault: It only sets proper Registry entries based on a local Pegasus Mail installation, and you need to run it with elevated access rights (Admin). I don't know whether this handles client/server environments properly.[/quote]

I believe it does.  I recall determining that running wssetup followed by running setpmdefault was the most certain to setup a workstation with pmail as the default mailer.  On recent installs I noticed that wssetup prompts to set up pmail as the default mailer.  This has worked so haven't needed the setpmdefault step.  I'm now wondering why it was needed.  A new version of wssetup came with v4.61 so perhaps that is when things changed.  If so, that was 7 years ago (it feels like 2).  Regardless, I'm pretty certain that I have run setpmdefault to resolve default mailer issues on workstations.  I don't remember when last did it though.  It could be that running wssetup again would accomplish the same thing.

I assumed wssetup was invoking setpmdefault when setting pmail as the default mailer but we all know about that word "assume".

&lt;p&gt;[quote user=&quot;idw&quot;]Just a short note about SetPMDefault: It only sets proper Registry entries based on a local Pegasus Mail installation, and you need to run it with elevated access rights (Admin). I don&#039;t know whether this handles client/server environments properly.[/quote]&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;I believe it does.&amp;nbsp; I recall determining that running wssetup followed by running setpmdefault was the most certain to setup a workstation with pmail as the default mailer.&amp;nbsp; On recent installs I noticed that wssetup prompts to set up pmail as the default mailer.&amp;nbsp; This has worked so haven&#039;t needed the setpmdefault step.&amp;nbsp; I&#039;m now wondering why it was needed.&amp;nbsp; A new version of wssetup came with v4.61 so perhaps that is when things changed.&amp;nbsp; If so, that was 7 years ago (it feels like 2).&amp;nbsp; Regardless, I&#039;m pretty certain that I have run setpmdefault to resolve default mailer issues on workstations.&amp;nbsp; I don&#039;t remember when last did it though.&amp;nbsp; It could be that running wssetup again would accomplish the same thing.&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;I assumed wssetup was invoking setpmdefault when setting pmail as the default mailer but we all know about that word &quot;assume&quot;. &lt;/p&gt;

When preparing a new user workstation I normally manually create a desktop shortcut for Pmail only and that's it. All other things will be adjusted at the server. To change Windows standard mailto link, yesterday I've made both, wssetup and setpmdefault. This works so far and set the necessary registry keys as well as the necessary "mailto:" settings in Firefox (wsento utility chosen). But Window's "send to" link (C:\Users\{YourUsername}\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\SendTo) remains unchanged and has to be adapted manually.

@Martin: now I've got such an Outlook msg file for you which contains an image and a Word file I think. I will send this template by mail to you in a few seconds.

&lt;p&gt;When preparing a new user workstation I normally manually create a desktop shortcut for Pmail only and that&#039;s it. All other things will be adjusted at the server. To change Windows standard mailto link, yesterday I&#039;ve made both, wssetup and setpmdefault. This works so far and set the necessary registry keys as well as the necessary &quot;mailto:&quot; settings in Firefox (wsento utility chosen). But Window&#039;s &quot;send to&quot; link (C:\Users\{YourUsername}\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\SendTo) remains unchanged and has to be adapted manually.&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;@Martin: now I&#039;ve got such an Outlook msg file for you which contains an image and a Word file I think. I will send this template by mail to you in a few seconds. &lt;/p&gt;

Received the file, thank you. I discovered that the MSG file is a compound file structure call DOCX. Owner of Microsoft Office can create/read/delete these files easily. That being said those of us who don't use Microsoft Office, especially MS WORD, are pretty much out-of-luck. Solution is to get the originator to send out the components of the DOCX separately as standard attachments.

PS the Microsoft utility WordViewer which could read MSG files, is being withdrawn this month :-(  The existing Wordviewer (2003-2008 vintage) will not read the latest Microsoft Outlook MSG attachments, and OpenOffice and LibreOffice, have poor support for the latest MSG files.

Martin

&lt;p&gt;Received the file, thank you. I discovered that the MSG file is a compound file structure call DOCX. Owner of Microsoft Office can create/read/delete these files easily. That being said those of us who don&#039;t use Microsoft Office, especially MS WORD, are pretty much out-of-luck. Solution is to get the originator to send out the components of the DOCX separately as standard attachments.&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;PS the Microsoft utility WordViewer which could read MSG files, is being withdrawn this month :-(&amp;nbsp; The existing Wordviewer (2003-2008 vintage) will not read the latest Microsoft Outlook MSG attachments, and OpenOffice and LibreOffice, have poor support for the latest MSG files. &lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;Martin &lt;/p&gt;

[quote user="irelam"]I discovered that the MSG file is a compound file structure call DOCX. Owner of Microsoft Office can create/read/delete these files easily. That being said those of us who don't use Microsoft Office, especially MS WORD, are pretty much out-of-luck. Solution is to get the originator to send out the components of the DOCX separately as standard attachments.

PS the Microsoft utility WordViewer which could read MSG files, is being withdrawn this month :-(  The existing Wordviewer (2003-2008 vintage) will not read the latest Microsoft Outlook MSG attachments, and OpenOffice and LibreOffice, have poor support for the latest MSG files[/quote]

Hi Martin,

I agree, the msg file, I've sent you, is of a compound structure - but didn't contain only a MS Word docx file. This docx MS Word file was only one of the files therein. Other files within this msg file were a pdf and two jpg files. When opening this msg file with Outlook, it will be directly converted back into single attachments (1 pdf, 1 docx, 2 jpg). But I don't want to use this bloody Outlook (or other software) for getting back the original attachments from the msg file. This would be a big effort since we have to regularly send messages from out of the DocMap system. An every time this system creates a msg file which we, of course, could open with Outlook, followed by saving of the restored single attachments, followed by opening of Pmail and attach the restored files to a new mail.

That's why I had hoped the MAPIPM could be adapted that it is able to convert Outlook msg files back to its original files which will be attached to a new Pmail message. If this is not possible, I have to setup an additional Outlook (for that user) for processing of these msg files directly.[:(]

[quote user=&quot;irelam&quot;]I discovered that the MSG file is a compound file structure call DOCX. Owner of Microsoft Office can create/read/delete these files easily. That being said those of us who don&#039;t use Microsoft Office, especially MS WORD, are pretty much out-of-luck. Solution is to get the originator to send out the components of the DOCX separately as standard attachments.&lt;p&gt;PS the Microsoft utility WordViewer which could read MSG files, is being withdrawn this month :-(&amp;nbsp; The existing Wordviewer (2003-2008 vintage) will not read the latest Microsoft Outlook MSG attachments, and OpenOffice and LibreOffice, have poor support for the latest MSG files[/quote]&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;Hi Martin, &lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;I agree, the msg file, I&#039;ve sent you, is of a compound structure - but didn&#039;t contain only a MS Word docx file. This docx MS Word file was only one of the files therein. Other files within this msg file were a pdf and two jpg files. When opening this msg file with Outlook, it will be directly converted back into single attachments (1 pdf, 1 docx, 2 jpg). But I don&#039;t want to use this bloody Outlook (or other software) for getting back the original attachments from the msg file. This would be a big effort since we have to regularly send messages from out of the DocMap system. An every time this system creates a msg file which we, of course, could open with Outlook, followed by saving of the restored single attachments, followed by opening of Pmail and attach the restored files to a new mail.&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;That&#039;s why I had hoped the MAPIPM could be adapted that it is able to convert Outlook msg files back to its original files which will be attached to a new Pmail message. If this is not possible, I have to setup an additional Outlook (for that user) for processing of these msg files directly.[:(] &lt;/p&gt;
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft