Community Discussions and Support
ClamAV 0.100.0 has been released

Two thoughts Jim..

- The .conf files are very different (more Windows user friendly).  Be sure to use the new ones.

- There's a dependency on Visual C++ 2015 Redistributable (v14) runtime library files (.dll's).  Unfortunately, they no longer package them in the .msi.  To install them you must either run the setup.exe (included in the .zip) or track them down manually. 

I went the manual route but there's probably no benefit to being as anal as I am about avoiding installation of Visual C.  If you opt to go this route, running clamd will trigger an error about a missing .dll.  The error shows the file name.  This will happen twice (two .dll files are needed).  I copied them from a different PC that had that version of Visual C installed.  The installer puts them in \system32 but I put them in \system just to keep them separate from "installed" files.

<p>Two thoughts Jim.. </p><p>- The .conf files are very different (more Windows user friendly).  Be sure to use the new ones. </p><p>- There's a dependency on Visual C++ 2015 Redistributable (v14) runtime library files (.dll's).  Unfortunately, they no longer package them in the .msi.  To install them you must either run the setup.exe (included in the .zip) or track them down manually.  </p><p>I went the manual route but there's probably no benefit to being as anal as I am about avoiding installation of Visual C.  If you opt to go this route, running clamd will trigger an error about a missing .dll.  The error shows the file name.  This will happen twice (two .dll files are needed).  I copied them from a different PC that had that version of Visual C installed.  The installer puts them in \system32 but I put them in \system just to keep them separate from "installed" files. </p>

ClamAV 0.100.0 has been released.  The package is different.  The .msi no longer contains the \Win\System directory in which previous versions contained the C runtime library .dll files.  My inquiry on the ClamAV users forum was responded to with the explanation that the setup.exe file checks for the runtime library files and updates if needed.  Apparently, setup.exe needs to be run before the .msi (perhaps it invokes the .msi???).  That's a bummer for me since I have, for some time now, been extracting then replacing the old ClamAV files with the new ones.  ClamAV isn't even "installed" on my Mercury PC.  An unanswered question is whether the runtime library .dll files are needed when the functionality is solely Mercury>ClamD.

ClamAV 0.100.0 has been released.  The package is different.  The .msi no longer contains the \Win\System directory in which previous versions contained the C runtime library .dll files.  My inquiry on the ClamAV users forum was responded to with the explanation that the setup.exe file checks for the runtime library files and updates if needed.  Apparently, setup.exe needs to be run before the .msi (perhaps it invokes the .msi???).  That's a bummer for me since I have, for some time now, been extracting then replacing the old ClamAV files with the new ones.  ClamAV isn't even "installed" on my Mercury PC.  An unanswered question is whether the runtime library .dll files are needed when the functionality is solely Mercury>ClamD.

I tried installing it to a separate directory and then copying everything over to my clamav/mercury directory but that didn't work. 

I wonder if this means we should start looking for a different solution. Virprot?  I used it at one point and forget why I stopped.

<p>I tried installing it to a separate directory and then copying everything over to my clamav/mercury directory but that didn't work. </p><p> </p><p>I wonder if this means we should start looking for a different solution. Virprot?  I used it at one point and forget why I stopped. </p>
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft