Community Discussions and Support
AW: Trouble with Mecury Server in combination with Outlook Clients

Hi Joerg, hi Olaf,

it seemed I screwed it up with my first installation. I threw it off the pc and had it completely new installed and look : now it runs seeminly without those problems I had before. Still something is uncanny : Sometimes mails get "stuck" for hours while others are transferred to the Outlook client immediately. After half a day or restart of the service of Mercury the "stuck" mails are transferred, too. Why that is I could not find out yet.  

<p>Hi Joerg, hi Olaf,</p><p> </p><p>it seemed I screwed it up with my first installation. I threw it off the pc and had it completely new installed and look : now it runs seeminly without those problems I had before. Still something is uncanny : Sometimes mails get "stuck" for hours while others are transferred to the Outlook client immediately. After half a day or restart of the service of Mercury the "stuck" mails are transferred, too. Why that is I could not find out yet.  </p>

I have configured my Mercury server with POP and SMTP services. But I experience strange phenomena and I do not know where they come from :

1. When sending mail to different mail accounts of myself through the internet, I do not instantaniously get back the mail to the mail address but it can take one day until the mail is delivered

2. When sending out mails sometimes they arrive at the recepients destination sometimes they are gone. 

3. How would you suggest to configure the mail account settings in outlook in combination with Mercury ? 

I did it in this scheme :

POP : username of Mercury mail account like : mgseasy1 with password in mercury pop client

SMTP : no settings, no username, no passoword and port 25

In SMTP of Mercury I have a valid username and password of the account at my ISP

Help would be appreciated. I am helpless 

<p>I have configured my Mercury server with POP and SMTP services. But I experience strange phenomena and I do not know where they come from :</p><p> </p><p><span style="font-size: 10pt;">1. When sending mail to different mail accounts of myself through the internet, I do not instantaniously get back the mail to the mail address but it can take one day until the mail is delivered</span></p><p>2. When sending out mails sometimes they arrive at the recepients destination sometimes they are gone. </p><p>3. How would you suggest to configure the mail account settings in outlook in combination with Mercury ? </p><p>I did it in this scheme :</p><p>POP : username of Mercury mail account like : mgseasy1 with password in mercury pop client</p><p>SMTP : no settings, no username, no passoword and port 25</p><p>In SMTP of Mercury I have a valid username and password of the account at my ISP</p><p> </p><p>Help would be appreciated. I am helpless </p>

Hallo Susanne

[quote]1. When sending mail to different mail accounts of myself through the internet, I do not instantaniously get back the mail to the mail address but it can take one day until the mail is delivered[/quote]

Sounds like your mails may be greylisted. Have a look at the logs if mails leave Mercury immediately - and enable logging for all used modules!

[quote]2. When sending out mails sometimes they arrive at the recepients destination sometimes they are gone.[/quote]

Same - look at your logs. Which exakt modules did you activate in Mercury? MercuryP, MercuryC and MercuryS? How do you get mails from your Mailprovider - via MercuryS or MercurtyD?

[quote]3. How would you suggest to configure the mail account settings in outlook in combination with Mercury ? [/quote]

First you should solve the above problems with that relative open system to ensure, that it works. After that I would enable SSL to secure connections.

[quote]In SMTP of Mercury I have a valid username and password of the account at my ISP[/quote]

Sounds like MercuryC ... does your mailprovider want you to have pop before smtp? That may be the reason for problem 1.

bye    Olaf

<p>Hallo Susanne </p><p>[quote]<span style="font-size: 10pt;">1. When sending mail to different mail accounts of myself through the internet, I do not instantaniously get back the mail to the mail address but it can take one day until the mail is delivered[/quote]</span></p><p>Sounds like your mails may be greylisted. Have a look at the logs if mails leave Mercury immediately - and enable logging for all used modules! </p><p>[quote]2. When sending out mails sometimes they arrive at the recepients destination sometimes they are gone.[/quote]</p><p>Same - look at your logs. Which exakt modules did you activate in Mercury? MercuryP, MercuryC and MercuryS? How do you get mails from your Mailprovider - via MercuryS or MercurtyD? </p><p>[quote]3. How would you suggest to configure the mail account settings in outlook in combination with Mercury ? [/quote]</p><p>First you should solve the above problems with that relative open system to ensure, that it works. After that I would enable SSL to secure connections. </p><p>[quote]In SMTP of Mercury I have a valid username and password of the account at my ISP[/quote]</p><p>Sounds like MercuryC ... does your mailprovider want you to have pop before smtp? That may be the reason for problem 1. </p><p>bye    Olaf</p><p> </p>

Hi Olaf,

thanks a lot for coming back to me on this that immediately. I am located in Germany, too so if you like we also can proceed with this conversation in German. I will check the logs and settings and come back to you here on this during the weekend.

Thanks

Susanne 

<p>Hi Olaf,</p><p> </p><p>thanks a lot for coming back to me on this that immediately. I am located in Germany, too so if you like we also can proceed with this conversation in German. I will check the logs and settings and come back to you here on this during the weekend.</p><p> </p><p>Thanks</p><p>Susanne </p>

Hi Susanne,

answered in english, because I can't realy help, if the problem is with a module I have no or not that much experience. In that case max be others are able to help but most of them speek english.

bye    Olaf

<p>Hi Susanne,</p><p>answered in english, because I can't realy help, if the problem is with a module I have no or not that much experience. In that case max be others are able to help but most of them speek english.</p><p>bye    Olaf</p><p> </p>

Moin Susanne,

We have Mercury in place since a couple of years. Works great and reliable. And as Olaf said, as soon as you post your configuration and used modules we should be able to help.

We are using our Mercury not as an Internet MX Mail Server but only as a relay server which is polling all internet mail accounts of our 20 users and distribute the retrieved mails to the their local user accounts. Therefore we have Mercury D in place. For the other direction (mail from our local users to the internet) we are using Marcury S (SMTP Server) which is collecting outgoing mails and hand-over them to Mercury C which is sending all mails to our Internet Mail Provider (in our case 1&1). Additionally we have Mercury I in place which is handling the mail communication with IMAP clients.

Gruesse aus Rostock

Joerg

<p>Moin Susanne,</p><p>We have Mercury in place since a couple of years. Works great and reliable. And as Olaf said, as soon as you post your configuration and used modules we should be able to help.</p><p>We are using our Mercury not as an Internet MX Mail Server but only as a relay server which is polling all internet mail accounts of our 20 users and distribute the retrieved mails to the their local user accounts. Therefore we have Mercury D in place. For the other direction (mail from our local users to the internet) we are using Marcury S (SMTP Server) which is collecting outgoing mails and hand-over them to Mercury C which is sending all mails to our Internet Mail Provider (in our case 1&1). Additionally we have Mercury I in place which is handling the mail communication with IMAP clients.</p><p>Gruesse aus Rostock </p><p>Joerg </p>
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft