Subst Z: .

--- End of my batch ---

My shortcut (for Pegasus)

Z:\Mail\winpm-32.exe -z 32 -i UesrName

My Pmauil.cfg has

Z:\MAIL\~8

pmail.ini also refers to

Z:\MAIL\

<p>Hi</p><p> </p><p>I use a batch file for all my mobile apps </p><p>--- My Batch --- </p><p>@echo off Subst Z: . </p><p> --- End of my batch --- </p><p>My shortcut (for Pegasus)</p><p> Z:\Mail\winpm-32.exe -z 32 -i UesrName</p><p>My Pmauil.cfg has</p><p>Z:\MAIL\~8</p><p>pmail.ini also refers to </p><p>Z:\MAIL\</p> <p> </p><p> </p><p> </p>

I want to use PMail with roaming from an external drive. Can I just copy my current installation to the external drive and add "-roam" to the shortcut or do I have to install it on the external?

Thanks for your help.

solane 

<p>I want to use PMail with roaming from an external drive. Can I just copy my current installation to the external drive and add "-roam" to the shortcut or do I have to install it on the external?</p><p>Thanks for your help.</p><p>solane </p>

Just copy and add the -roam option.  I also include the -ms option because I often have both my roaming version and my local version running (they serve different purposes).

Other considerations/suggestions:

My roaming instance is on a flash that gets routinely connected to three different PC's.  To deal with the changing drive letters I start it by executing a batch file.

@echo off
start %drive%\PMAIL\Programs\winpm-32.exe -roam -a -ms -i username
exit

I also created a PM_Temp directory in the root of my flash drive then changed all "Temporary files directory" entries in the pmail.ini file to point to it (eg: "Temporary files directory = /PM_Temp")

<p>Just copy and add the -roam option.  I also include the -ms option because I often have both my roaming version and my local version running (they serve different purposes). </p><p>Other considerations/suggestions:</p><p>My roaming instance is on a flash that gets routinely connected to three different PC's.  To deal with the changing drive letters I start it by executing a batch file.</p><p>@echo off start %drive%\PMAIL\Programs\winpm-32.exe -roam -a -ms -i <i>username</i> exit </p><p>I also created a PM_Temp directory in the root of my flash drive then changed all "Temporary files directory" entries in the pmail.ini file to point to it (eg: "Temporary files directory = /PM_Temp") </p>

Thanks for your reply.

2 questions:

Why do you have to deal with a batch file if you're using the -roam switch?

In your batch file you have "-i username" What is the username? 

<p>Thanks for your reply.</p><p>2 questions:</p><p>Why do you have to deal with a batch file if you're using the -roam switch?</p><p>In your batch file you have "-i username" What is the username? </p><p> </p>

Each PC assigns a different drive letter to the flash drive so without the batch file I would have to create the shortcut with the appropriate drive letter each time.  If you won't have changing drive letters than you don't need a batch file.  No need for a PM-Temp directory either since it probably isn't an issue if temp files are on the PC drive.

As for the -i option, my installation is multi-user so it tells Pegasus Mail what user to start as.  You don't need it for a single user installation.

<p>Each PC assigns a different drive letter to the flash drive so without the batch file I would have to create the shortcut with the appropriate drive letter each time.  If you won't have changing drive letters than you don't need a batch file.  No need for a PM-Temp directory either since it probably isn't an issue if temp files are on the PC drive. </p><p>As for the -i option, my installation is multi-user so it tells Pegasus Mail what user to start as.  You don't need it for a single user installation. </p>

Okay, I see that. The batch file is good to know.

I asked about username because in testing it kept throwing up "enter username" message until I added the -a switch.

That clears up everything for me. What a terrific addition to PMail David made with the roaming option. I wish it existed on some other software.

Thanks, you've been very helpful. 

<p>Okay, I see that. The batch file is good to know.</p><p>I asked about username because in testing it kept throwing up "enter username" message until I added the -a switch.</p><p>That clears up everything for me. What a terrific addition to PMail David made with the roaming option. I wish it existed on some other software.</p><p>Thanks, you've been very helpful. </p>
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft