Community Discussions and Support
AW: Webmail interface

Can't you run php on IIS?  IIRC that's what Roundcube is written in (same as Squirrelmail).

Can't you run php on IIS?  IIRC that's what Roundcube is written in (same as Squirrelmail).

There is no built-in webmail, but there are several third-party alternatives. I've been using Roundcube, works fine together with Mercury: https://roundcube.net/

Complete packages including Apache and MySQL can be found as well: https://bitnami.com/stack/roundcube/installer 

<p>There is no built-in webmail, but there are several third-party alternatives. I've been using Roundcube, works fine together with Mercury: https://roundcube.net/</p><p>Complete packages including Apache and MySQL <span style="font-size: 10pt;">can be found as well: https://bitnami.com/stack/roundcube/installer </span></p>

We are also using Roundcube when accessing remotely. Works pretty good and reliable. Of course you need a server where this web service is permanently running but in enterprise environments this should not be the problem.

We are also using Roundcube when accessing remotely. Works pretty good and reliable. Of course you need a server where this web service is permanently running but in enterprise environments this should not be the problem.

Nice hint ... tried that :-)

After creating a selfsigned certificate for apache with openssl and replacing the default example certificate in conf-directory of apache I  was able to access roundcube (without error).

But now Roundcube seems to have problems making tls to my Mercury. The Mercury has a selfsigned cerftificate too - created by Mercury. In IMAP-log I see the connection ... "not logged in". Roundcube errorlog:

[08-Aug-2018 03:02:49 -0700]: <ds71kk2s> IMAP Error: Login failed for [user] from 129.217.x.x. Unable to negotiate TLS in C:\Bitnami\roundcube-1.3.7-0\apps\roundcube\htdocs\program\lib\Roundcube\rcube_imap.php on line 196 (POST /roundcube/?_task=login&_action=login)

Access is via Port 143 and TLS which works with Pegasus and Thunderbird.

Selfsigned certificate on mercury is to domain name ... domain.de ... the server hosting mercury is mail.domain.de. May that be the problem?

Any usefull hints?

Olaf

&lt;p&gt;Nice hint ... tried that :-)&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;After creating a selfsigned certificate for apache with openssl and replacing the default example certificate in conf-directory of apache I&amp;nbsp; was able to access roundcube (without error).&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&amp;nbsp;But now Roundcube seems to have problems making tls to my Mercury. The Mercury has a selfsigned cerftificate too - created by Mercury. In IMAP-log I see the connection ... &quot;not logged in&quot;. Roundcube errorlog:&lt;/p&gt;&lt;blockquote&gt;&lt;p&gt;&amp;nbsp;[08-Aug-2018 03:02:49 -0700]: &amp;lt;ds71kk2s&amp;gt; IMAP Error: Login failed for [user] from 129.217.x.x. Unable to negotiate TLS in C:\Bitnami\roundcube-1.3.7-0\apps\roundcube\htdocs\program\lib\Roundcube\rcube_imap.php on line 196 (POST /roundcube/?_task=login&amp;amp;_action=login) &lt;/p&gt;&lt;/blockquote&gt;&lt;p&gt;Access is via Port 143 and TLS which works with Pegasus and Thunderbird.&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;Selfsigned certificate on mercury is to domain name ... domain.de ... the server hosting mercury is mail.domain.de. May that be the problem? &lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;Any usefull hints?&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&amp;nbsp; &amp;nbsp; Olaf &lt;/p&gt;

Hi Olaf,

Both, our Mercury server (Windows Server 2012) and our Roundcube server (Linux / Apache) are not directly accessable from the internet. That's why the connection between Roundcube and Mercury via IMAP is presently not SSL encryted.

But the limited user circle, which have the permission for VPN access from the Internet to the LAN, do connect to Roundcube by SSL protected connection.

Gruss von der Ostsee

&lt;p&gt;Hi Olaf,&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;Both, our Mercury server (Windows Server 2012) and our Roundcube server (Linux / Apache) are not directly accessable from the internet. That&#039;s why the connection between Roundcube and Mercury via IMAP is presently not SSL encryted.&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;But the limited user circle, which have the permission for VPN access from the Internet to the LAN, do connect to Roundcube by SSL protected connection.&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;Gruss von der Ostsee &lt;/p&gt;

Hi Joerg,

ahh - that's the reason it works - no openSSL between Mercury and Roundcube. OK - could do this if Roundcube and Mercury are on same Server.

I probably managed to find the reason. With up to date PHP it allways tries to find a CA ... which isn't there with selfsigned certificate. So I would have to manipulate the PHP-scripts of Roundcube with that:

<span class="str">'verify_peer'</span><span class="pln"> </span><span class="pun">=></span><span class="pln"> </span><span class="kwd">false</span><span class="pun">,</span><span class="pln"></span>
<span class="str"></span><span class="str"><br>'verify_peer_name'</span><span class="pln"> </span><span class="pun">=></span><span class="pln"> </span><span class="kwd">false</span><span class="pun">,</span><span class="pln"></span>
<span class="str"><br>'allow_self_signed'</span><span class="pln"> </span><span class="pun">=></span><span class="pln"> </span><span class="kwd">true</span>

But my knowledge of PHP isn't even good enough to find where to add that in the scripts *grmbl* So no short and quick testing :-(

Thanks    Olaf

&lt;p&gt;Hi Joerg,&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;ahh - that&#039;s the reason it works - no openSSL between Mercury and Roundcube. OK - could do this if Roundcube and Mercury are on same Server. &lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;I probably managed to find the reason. With up to date PHP it allways tries to find a CA ... which isn&#039;t there with selfsigned certificate. So I would have to manipulate the PHP-scripts of Roundcube with that:&lt;/p&gt;&lt;blockquote&gt;&lt;p&gt;&lt;code&gt;&lt;span class=&quot;str&quot;&gt;&#039;verify_peer&#039;&lt;/span&gt;&lt;span class=&quot;pln&quot;&gt; &lt;/span&gt;&lt;span class=&quot;pun&quot;&gt;=&amp;gt;&lt;/span&gt;&lt;span class=&quot;pln&quot;&gt; &lt;/span&gt;&lt;span class=&quot;kwd&quot;&gt;false&lt;/span&gt;&lt;span class=&quot;pun&quot;&gt;,&lt;/span&gt;&lt;span class=&quot;pln&quot;&gt;&lt;/span&gt;&lt;/code&gt;&lt;code&gt;&lt;span class=&quot;str&quot;&gt;&lt;/span&gt;&lt;span class=&quot;str&quot;&gt; &#039;verify_peer_name&#039;&lt;/span&gt;&lt;span class=&quot;pln&quot;&gt; &lt;/span&gt;&lt;span class=&quot;pun&quot;&gt;=&amp;gt;&lt;/span&gt;&lt;span class=&quot;pln&quot;&gt; &lt;/span&gt;&lt;span class=&quot;kwd&quot;&gt;false&lt;/span&gt;&lt;span class=&quot;pun&quot;&gt;,&lt;/span&gt;&lt;span class=&quot;pln&quot;&gt;&lt;/span&gt;&lt;/code&gt;&lt;code&gt;&lt;span class=&quot;str&quot;&gt; &#039;allow_self_signed&#039;&lt;/span&gt;&lt;span class=&quot;pln&quot;&gt; &lt;/span&gt;&lt;span class=&quot;pun&quot;&gt;=&amp;gt;&lt;/span&gt;&lt;span class=&quot;pln&quot;&gt; &lt;/span&gt;&lt;span class=&quot;kwd&quot;&gt;true&lt;/span&gt;&lt;/code&gt;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;/blockquote&gt;&lt;p&gt;&amp;nbsp;But my knowledge of PHP isn&#039;t even good enough to find where to add that in the scripts *grmbl* So no short and quick testing :-( &lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&amp;nbsp;Thanks&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp; Olaf&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;

[quote user="FJR"] no openSSL between Mercury and Roundcube. OK - could do this if Roundcube and Mercury are on same Server[/quote]

You could install a Let'sEncrypt certificate on Apache and also the same certificate for Mercury [:)].

&lt;p&gt;[quote user=&quot;FJR&quot;] no openSSL between Mercury and Roundcube. OK - could do this if Roundcube and Mercury are on same Server[/quote] &lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&lt;span id=&quot;result_box&quot; class=&quot;&quot; lang=&quot;en&quot;&gt;&lt;span class=&quot;&quot;&gt;You could install a Let&#039;sEncrypt certificate on Apache and also the same certificate for Mercury [:)].&lt;/span&gt;&lt;/span&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

[quote user="Joerg"]We are also using Roundcube when accessing remotely. Works pretty good and reliable. Of course you need a server where this web service is permanently running but in enterprise environments this should not be the problem.
[/quote]Thanks for this hint.

[quote user=&quot;Joerg&quot;]We are also using Roundcube when accessing remotely. Works pretty good and reliable. Of course you need a server where this web service is permanently running but in enterprise environments this should not be the problem. [/quote]Thanks for this hint.

Is there something that works under IIS rather than Linux? We use IIS here to provide some services so all the port forwarding goes to that server. 

Is there something that works under IIS rather than Linux? We use IIS here to provide some services so all the port forwarding goes to that server.&amp;nbsp;

[quote user="Tym"]Is there something that works under IIS rather than Linux? We use IIS here to provide some services so all the port forwarding goes to that server. [/quote]

Mercury allows you to specify a custom port. Messy, but it would allow you to use port forwarding onto your Mercury host. 

&lt;p&gt;[quote user=&quot;Tym&quot;]Is there something that works under IIS rather than Linux? We use IIS here to provide some services so all the port forwarding goes to that server.&amp;nbsp;[/quote]&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;Mercury allows you to specify a custom port. Messy, but it would allow you to use port forwarding onto your Mercury host.&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;

Getting mail to Mercury is fine; it's not the ports that Mercury uses that is the issue. Apologies if I didn't explain properly, but I want to have a webmail portal (like you can with ::ahem:: exchange, like http://mail.domain.com/owa) and have that give access to Mercury.

Currently, I have http://mail.domain.com/ doing something, so my router forwards port 80 to a given server running IIS. I can't have a Linux box somewhere else providing roundcube as that would need port 80 forwarding to *that* server. What i need it something that can "plug in" to IIS... if such a beast exists...

&lt;p&gt;Getting mail to Mercury is fine; it&#039;s not the ports that Mercury uses that is the issue. Apologies if I didn&#039;t explain properly, but I want to have a webmail portal (like you can with ::ahem:: exchange, like http://mail.domain.com/owa) and have that give access to Mercury. &lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;Currently, I have http://mail.domain.com/ doing something, so my router forwards port 80 to a given server running IIS. I can&#039;t have a Linux box somewhere else providing roundcube as that would need port 80 forwarding to *that* server. What i need it something that can &quot;plug in&quot; to IIS... if such a beast exists... &lt;/p&gt;
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft