Community Discussions and Support
PopfileD and Popfile as a window service

[quote user="subelman"][quote user="Thomas R. Stephenson"]

I use NT Wrapper to run Mercury/32 as a service with POPFileD and then run POPFile as a service as well as described on the POPFile pages.  I've not had any problem at all with this type of setup for over a year or so.  With NT Wrapper I am running the Mercury/32 service as a specific user since I need to specify the username and password to authenticate to the servers.  NT Wrapper allows me to specify the specific user and still allow the GUI interface.

[/quote]

In my experience, when the machine is rebooted, POPFile takes much

longer than Mercury to start, sometimes up to 60 seconds longer. If you let

them both start as services, then Mercury will start first, and until

POPFile is up, you won't have any spam filtering.

I worked around

this by starting Mercury via a batch file, that just waits for a while before starting Mercury. That delay allows POPFile to be up by the time

Mercury comes up. But I could not get this to work as a service.

How do you handle that issue?

[/quote]

I ignore it.  ;-)  My system is running on a UPS and does not go down all that often for any reason.  If it does my MX host takes at least a minute or so before it starts spewing queued mail and finally if I miss classifying a couple of spams in that first minute or so it's no big deal anyway.

FWIW, I've found that both start at pretty much the same time when running at a service when the system comes back on line.  POPFile is running as a native service and NT Wrapper probably makes Mercury/32 a bit slower to get started on boot up, especially when it is logging in as a user as well.

[quote user="subelman"][quote user="Thomas R. Stephenson"]<p>I use NT Wrapper to run Mercury/32 as a service with POPFileD and then run POPFile as a service as well as described on the POPFile pages.  I've not had any problem at all with this type of setup for over a year or so.  With NT Wrapper I am running the Mercury/32 service as a specific user since I need to specify the username and password to authenticate to the servers.  NT Wrapper allows me to specify the specific user and still allow the GUI interface.</p><p>[/quote]</p><p>In my experience, when the machine is rebooted, POPFile takes much longer than Mercury to start, sometimes up to 60 seconds longer. If you let them both start as services, then Mercury will start first, and until POPFile is up, you won't have any spam filtering.</p><p>I worked around this by starting Mercury via a batch file, that just waits for a while before starting Mercury. That delay allows POPFile to be up by the time Mercury comes up. But I could not get this to work as a service.</p>How do you handle that issue?<p>[/quote]</p><p>I ignore it.  ;-)  My system is running on a UPS and does not go down all that often for any reason.  If it does my MX host takes at least a minute or so before it starts spewing queued mail and finally if I miss classifying a couple of spams in that first minute or so it's no big deal anyway. </p><p>FWIW, I've found that both start at pretty much the same time when running at a service when the system comes back on line.  POPFile is running as a native service and NT Wrapper probably makes Mercury/32 a bit slower to get started on boot up, especially when it is logging in as a user as well. </p><p> </p>

Hi,
I'm trying to figure out a safe spam filtering technique (as in no automatically deleted spams which may be false positives) for Mercury.

It looks like PopfileD might be the solution, but I dont keep a logged-in account as i'm running mercury as a windows service.  There does seem to be a similar solution for popfile (running it as a service).

Does anyone have any experience with a similar system?  How well does popfile run as a windows service in combination with Mercury and the PopfileD daemon?

<P>Hi, I'm trying to figure out a safe spam filtering technique (as in no automatically deleted spams which may be false positives) for Mercury.</P> <P>It looks like PopfileD might be the solution, but I dont keep a logged-in account as i'm running mercury as a windows service.  There does seem to be a similar solution for popfile (running it as a service).</P> <P>Does anyone have any experience with a similar system?  How well does popfile run as a windows service in combination with Mercury and the PopfileD daemon?</P>

I use NT Wrapper to run Mercury/32 as a service with POPFileD and then run POPFile as a service as well as described on the POPFile pages.  I've not had any problem at all with this type of setup for over a year or so.  With NT Wrapper I am running the Mercury/32 service as a specific user since I need to specify the username and password to authenticate to the servers.  NT Wrapper allows me to specify the specific user and still allow the GUI interface.

You could of course simply run SpamHalter on the Mercury/32 host as well to do the same thing.  Spamhalter does not delete spam; spam is only deleted with either system if you set rules to delete it.   

<p>I use NT Wrapper to run Mercury/32 as a service with POPFileD and then run POPFile as a service as well as described on the POPFile pages.  I've not had any problem at all with this type of setup for over a year or so.  With NT Wrapper I am running the Mercury/32 service as a specific user since I need to specify the username and password to authenticate to the servers.  NT Wrapper allows me to specify the specific user and still allow the GUI interface.</p><p>You could of course simply run SpamHalter on the Mercury/32 host as well to do the same thing.  Spamhalter does not delete spam; spam is only deleted with either system if you set rules to delete it.   </p>

[quote user="Thomas R. Stephenson"]

[/quote]

In my experience, when the machine is rebooted, POPFile takes much

longer than Mercury to start, sometimes up to 60 seconds longer. If you let

them both start as services, then Mercury will start first, and until

POPFile is up, you won't have any spam filtering.

I worked around

this by starting Mercury via a batch file, that just waits for a while before starting Mercury. That delay allows POPFile to be up by the time

Mercury comes up. But I could not get this to work as a service.

How do you handle that issue?

[quote user="Thomas R. Stephenson"]<p>I use NT Wrapper to run Mercury/32 as a service with POPFileD and then run POPFile as a service as well as described on the POPFile pages.  I've not had any problem at all with this type of setup for over a year or so.  With NT Wrapper I am running the Mercury/32 service as a specific user since I need to specify the username and password to authenticate to the servers.  NT Wrapper allows me to specify the specific user and still allow the GUI interface.</p><p>[/quote]</p><p>In my experience, when the machine is rebooted, POPFile takes much longer than Mercury to start, sometimes up to 60 seconds longer. If you let them both start as services, then Mercury will start first, and until POPFile is up, you won't have any spam filtering.</p><p>I worked around this by starting Mercury via a batch file, that just waits for a while before starting Mercury. That delay allows POPFile to be up by the time Mercury comes up. But I could not get this to work as a service.</p> How do you handle that issue?<p> </p>
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft