Community Discussions and Support
Notifications to postmaster are generating a mail loop

[quote user="malsmith"]

I double checked the ip's and names didn't find any typos.

I agree with your theory that the delivery is failing because the mx resolved to the inaccessible outside address and that the system should not get to the point of trying to deliver out since the postmaster@mail.momjunction.com is configured as a local address. 

It is equally strange that a test email - sent from the server 'send message' menu to postmaster does get delivered local to the admin user.  it seems like it is only the notification/failure notices that have the bad behavior.

(Thanks again for your help on this problem).

[/quote]

Is mail mail.momjunction.com entered into Configuration | Mercury core "Internet name for this system"?

[quote user="malsmith"]<p>I double checked the ip's and names didn't find any typos.</p> <p>I agree with your theory that the delivery is failing because the mx resolved to the inaccessible outside address and that the system should not get to the point of trying to deliver out since the <a href="mailto:postmaster@mail.momjunction.com" mce_href="mailto:postmaster@mail.momjunction.com">postmaster@mail.momjunction.com</a> is configured as a local address.  </p> <p>It is equally strange that a test email - sent from the server 'send message' menu to postmaster does get delivered local to the admin user.  it seems like it is only the notification/failure notices that have the bad behavior.</p> <p>(Thanks again for your help on this problem).</p><p>[/quote]</p><p> </p><p>Is mail mail.momjunction.com entered into Configuration | Mercury core "Internet name for this system"?</p><p> </p>

I've got the server working generally - it delivers mail with the server and outbound and receives mail inbound from internet.

However, notifications to the postmaster are setting off some kind of mail loop storm.  They queue up and when processing starts the SMTP-Client resolves MX for mail.momjunction.com to 72.32.156.36 which is the public ip of this mail server.  Then the connections fail and process is restarted / re-queued.

My network config is:

Server name: 101931-APP1 (W2K3 server)

local ip: 192.168.1.36 / 2nd local ip  10.241.70.142

Firewall 192.168.1.1

public IP 72.32.156.36

** Key point (maybe) 72.32.156.36 is not accessible from the local side machines only from the public internet - so connection requests to this ip are failing from the 101932-APP1 server.

DNS

mail.momjunction.com => 72.32.156.36

record type=mx for momjunction.com => 72.32.156.36

Mercury Server name : mail.momjunction.com

Mercury.ini

[Domains]

101932-APP1: mail.momjunction.com
101932-APP1: momjunction.com
101932-APP1: [72.32.156.36]
101932-APP1: 72.32.156.36
101932-APP1: [192.168.1.36]
101932-APP1: [10.241.70.142]
101932-APP1: momjunction
101932-APP1: mx.momjunction.com
[72.32.156.36]: [72.32.156.36]

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  I suspect that the system is not detecting that postmaster@momjunction.com or postmaster@mail.momjunction.com is a local address -- but try as I might the domains section seems to have no effect.

Malcolm Smith

<p>I've got the server working generally - it delivers mail with the server and outbound and receives mail inbound from internet.</p><p> </p><p>However, notifications to the postmaster are setting off some kind of mail loop storm.  They queue up and when processing starts the SMTP-Client resolves MX for mail.momjunction.com to 72.32.156.36 which is the public ip of this mail server.  Then the connections fail and process is restarted / re-queued. </p><p>  My network config is:</p><p>  Server name: 101931-APP1 (W2K3 server)</p><p>local ip: 192.168.1.36 / 2nd local ip  10.241.70.142</p><p> </p><p>Firewall 192.168.1.1 </p><p>public IP 72.32.156.36 </p><p> ** Key point (maybe) 72.32.156.36 is not accessible from the local side machines only from the public internet - so connection requests to this ip are failing from the 101932-APP1 server. </p><p>DNS </p><p>mail.momjunction.com => 72.32.156.36</p><p>record type=mx for momjunction.com => 72.32.156.36  </p><p> </p><p>Mercury Server name : mail.momjunction.com </p><p>Mercury.ini </p><p>[Domains] </p><p>101932-APP1: mail.momjunction.com 101932-APP1: momjunction.com 101932-APP1: [72.32.156.36] 101932-APP1: 72.32.156.36 101932-APP1: [192.168.1.36] 101932-APP1: [10.241.70.142] 101932-APP1: momjunction 101932-APP1: mx.momjunction.com [72.32.156.36]: [72.32.156.36]  </p><p> </p><p>Any help would be greatly appreciated.  I suspect that the system is not detecting that postmaster@momjunction.com or postmaster@mail.momjunction.com is a local address -- but try as I might the domains section seems to have no effect.</p><p> </p><p>Malcolm Smith</p><p> </p>

1.   What local username have you entered for the postmaster?

2.    What have you entered for the  "Internet name for this system"?

The postmaster@<internet name for this system> goes to the local users you have specified as the postmaster.  This address must NOT be forwarded.

&lt;p&gt;1.&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp; What local username have you entered for the postmaster?&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;2.&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp; What have you entered for the&amp;nbsp; &quot;Internet name for this system&quot;?&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;The postmaster@&amp;lt;internet name for this system&amp;gt; goes to the local users you have specified as the postmaster.&amp;nbsp; This address must NOT be forwarded.&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt; &amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt; &lt;/p&gt;

The internet name for the system is "momjunction.com" the name used to identify myself as "mail.momjunction.com" in the SMTP-Client setup.  Postmaster local name is "Admin" .  There are no forwards or alias for Admin.

Also if I send mail from external addreses into this server to postmaster@momjunction.com -- they are delivered to the local "Admin" user mailbox and don't bounce around.  Just the notifications / failure notices seem to do this bouncing.

&lt;p&gt;The internet name for the system is &quot;momjunction.com&quot; the name used to identify myself as &quot;mail.momjunction.com&quot; in the SMTP-Client setup.&amp;nbsp; Postmaster local name is &quot;Admin&quot; .&amp;nbsp; There are no forwards or alias for Admin.&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;Also if I send mail from external addreses into this server to postmaster@momjunction.com -- they are delivered to the local &quot;Admin&quot; user mailbox and don&#039;t bounce around.&amp;nbsp; Just the notifications / failure notices seem to do this bouncing.&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt; &amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;

If the MX resolved to an outside IP address and it is not accessible then this is probably what is causing the problem of delivery.  The question is why is it even resolving the IP address, this should be going local only since the domain is in the domains lists and is the name of the system as well.  Are you sure there is no typo here?

&lt;p&gt;If the MX resolved to an outside IP address and it is not accessible then this is probably what is causing the problem of delivery.&amp;nbsp; The question is why is it even resolving the IP address, this should be going local only since the domain is in the domains lists and is the name of the system as well.&amp;nbsp; Are you sure there is no typo here?&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;

I double checked the ip's and names didn't find any typos.

I agree with your theory that the delivery is failing because the mx resolved to the inaccessible outside address and that the system should not get to the point of trying to deliver out since the postmaster@mail.momjunction.com is configured as a local address. 

It is equally strange that a test email - sent from the server 'send message' menu to postmaster does get delivered local to the admin user.  it seems like it is only the notification/failure notices that have the bad behavior.

(Thanks again for your help on this problem).

&lt;P&gt;I double checked the ip&#039;s and names&amp;nbsp;didn&#039;t find any typos.&lt;/P&gt; &lt;P&gt;I agree with your theory that the delivery is failing because the mx resolved to the inaccessible outside address and that the system should not get to the point of trying to deliver out since the &lt;A href=&quot;mailto:postmaster@mail.momjunction.com&quot;&gt;postmaster@mail.momjunction.com&lt;/A&gt; is configured as a local address.&amp;nbsp; &lt;/P&gt; &lt;P&gt;It is equally strange that a test email - sent from the server &#039;send message&#039; menu to postmaster does get delivered local to the admin user.&amp;nbsp; it seems like it is only the notification/failure notices that have the bad behavior.&lt;/P&gt; &lt;P&gt;(Thanks again for your help on this problem).&lt;/P&gt;
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft