Community Discussions and Support
Need help understanding mail in postmaster@domain.com?

I file them automatically in a 'postmaster' folder, and only refer back to them if there's a query.

They're mostly bounces or mistyped addresses. 

<p>I file them automatically in a 'postmaster' folder, and only refer back to them if there's a query.</p><p>They're mostly bounces or mistyped addresses. </p>

I have Mercury Core configured with username of postmaster as "Mercury" which I thought was working fine until I noticed +1600 messages in the "Postmaster" hosted mailbox.  I've never checked that mailbox but it appears that some of those message came from Mercury.  It's possible they're all the result of some sort of rejection or failure notice but I thought those were sent to the From: address. 

Can anyone explain to me where the messages in the "Postmaster" domain mailbox come from?

<p>I have Mercury Core configured with username of postmaster as "Mercury" which I thought was working fine until I noticed +1600 messages in the "Postmaster" hosted mailbox.  I've never checked that mailbox but it appears that some of those message came from Mercury.  It's possible they're all the result of some sort of rejection or failure notice but I thought those were sent to the From: address.  </p><p>Can anyone explain to me where the messages in the "Postmaster" domain mailbox come from? </p>

There is a setting in Core configuration for "Send copies of all errors to the postmaster", so it's optional if you want that or not.

<p>There is a setting in Core configuration for "Send copies of all errors to the postmaster", so it's optional if you want that or not.</p><p> </p>

Copies of errors are getting sent to user "Mercury" who is configured in core as the postmaster.  What I can't wrap my head around is the messages being sent to postmaster@mydomain.com.  I dug through some of them this afternoon and identified some that resulted from a users out-of-office autoreply to a spam message that then triggered a delivery failure notice.  Is it common for such notices to be sent to postmaster@domain.com?

Can anyone offer any guidance on how to handle messages coming into postmaster@mydomain.com?  Is it of any value?  Do you download it?  Autoforward it?  Autodelete it?

<p>Copies of errors are getting sent to user "Mercury" who is configured in core as the postmaster.  What I can't wrap my head around is the messages being sent to postmaster@mydomain.com.  I dug through some of them this afternoon and identified some that resulted from a users out-of-office autoreply to a spam message that then triggered a delivery failure notice.  Is it common for such notices to be sent to postmaster@domain.com?</p><p><span style="font-size: 10pt;">Can anyone offer any guidance on how to handle messages coming into postmaster@mydomain.com?  Is it of any value?  Do you download it?  Autoforward it?  Autodelete it?</span></p>
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft