Community Discussions and Support
AW: Removal of big attachments

Joerg,

I use labels.  I will send you one of  my rules files when I get in the office tomorrow.  You'll understand it once you see it.

<p>Joerg,</p><p><span style="font-size: 10pt;">I use labels.  I will send you one of  my rules files when I get in the office tomorrow.  You'll understand it once you see it.</span></p>

Does Mercury offers an option in its global filters to remove big attachment BUT forwarding the mail to the local user (without attachments)?

We have two general rules in place, one for detecting mails larger than 10 MB to respond to the originator that its mail has been rejected from processing, and a second rule for deleting such big mails. Works so far. But we would prefer a filter which removes the big attachent but still forwards the mail itself to the local user that he will be informed about the customer attempt. Is this possible?

Another problem are still mail bounces of Pmail. We've got an additional Outgoing Filter in place which limits the attachment size to 5 MB (about 3.5 MB netto file size) for all of our local users. Works like the general filter described above with a notification to the originator followed by deleting the mail.  But in case a user is receiving a 10 MB mail (incoming filter limits to 10 MB) from the internet and is bouncing this mail to another internet address, then he will not receive the deletion notification of Mercury. Instead of this the originator will receive this deletion message. It's not nice.

<p>Does Mercury offers an option in its global filters to remove big attachment BUT forwarding the mail to the local user (without attachments)?</p><p>We have two general rules in place, one for detecting mails larger than 10 MB to respond to the originator that its mail has been rejected from processing, and a second rule for deleting such big mails. Works so far. But we would prefer a filter which removes the big attachent but still forwards the mail itself to the local user that he will be informed about the customer attempt. Is this possible? </p><p>Another problem are still <i>mail bounces</i> of Pmail. We've got an additional Outgoing Filter in place which limits the attachment size to 5 MB (about 3.5 MB netto file size) for all of our local users. Works like the general filter described above with a notification to the originator followed by deleting the mail.  But in case a user is receiving a 10 MB mail (incoming filter limits to 10 MB) from the internet and is bouncing this mail to another internet address, then he will not receive the deletion notification of Mercury. Instead of this the originator will receive this deletion message. It's not nice. </p>

OK, it seems my above mentioned wish to remove the attachement but delivering the mail either is not applicable.

What about deleting the mail but sending a notification to the corresponding local user (intendend recipient)? There is a filter rule available in Mercury which could send a text file if the mail exceeds a set limit. But such a message could only be sent to one fix assigned user, e.g. to me as administrator. I would prefer a rule which is sending a message dynamically to the intended recipient (not originator) of the original mail. Is this possible?

<p>OK, it seems my above mentioned wish to remove the attachement but delivering the mail either is not applicable.</p><p>What about deleting the mail but sending a notification to the corresponding local user (intendend recipient)? There is a filter rule available in Mercury which could send a text file if the mail exceeds a set limit. But such a message could only be sent to <b>one </b>fix assigned user, e.g. to me as administrator. I would prefer a rule which is sending a message dynamically to the intended recipient (not originator) of the original mail. Is this possible? </p><p> </p>

Did you try checking the message size and if that rule triggers go to a label to do one or more other actions, such as having an attachment rule removing the attachment? 

<p>Did you try checking the message size and if that rule triggers go to a label to do one or more other actions, such as having an attachment rule removing the attachment?<span style="font-size: 10pt;"> </span></p>

[quote user="Rolf Lindby"]Did you try checking the message size and if that rule triggers go to a label to do one or more other actions, such as having an attachment rule removing the attachment? [/quote]

Thanks for the hint with the labels. Never tried "labels" until today. Hope, that any programmer skills are not needed for that [:$]

<p>[quote user="Rolf Lindby"]Did you try checking the message size and if that rule triggers go to a label to do one or more other actions, such as having an attachment rule removing the attachment?<span style="font-size: 10pt;"> </span>[/quote]</p><p>Thanks for the hint with the labels. Never tried "labels" until today. Hope, that any programmer skills are not needed for that [:$] </p>

It's a way of grouping commands together, so no programming skills required. Still, it might take a while to figure out the flow if there are many rules in place, have a look at the section "Managing flow control in your rule sets" in Mercury help for some examples!

<p>It's a way of grouping commands together, so no programming skills required. Still, it might take a while to figure out the flow if there are many rules in place, have a look at the section "Managing flow control in your rule sets" in Mercury help for some examples!</p>
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft