Community Discussions and Support
Problems with Mercury 32 under Windows Server 2003

If you've installed IIS-smtp service they can't coexist with Mercury unless you tell Mercury to use an alternate port - or you have to hack the IIS-smtp config (messy...)

If you've installed IIS-smtp service they can't coexist with Mercury unless you tell Mercury to use an alternate port - or you have to hack the IIS-smtp config (messy...)

I'm experiencing some problems with my Mercury 32 SMTP server.

In fact, i don't kow if it's from the Mercury configuraton or form the Windows 2003  Firewall.

The domain has different IP addresses for http and mail exchange. I've managed to get the SMTP end-to-end server to send mail OUT, but i'm having a hard time to receive mail IN.

For what i know i've correctly configured Mercury. The only problem i think is with DNS server and/or with Windows ISA Server. What speciffic configurations do i need to make in order for Windows 2003 server to allow reception of mail for a computer inside the network. (ISA configuration, publishing, IP filters, DNS configuration).

To give you an idea, when trying to receive a mail  i can see in Mercury core the sending mail server trying to connect to mercury, but disconnecting immediately.

Thank you .

<p>I'm experiencing some problems with my Mercury 32 SMTP server.</p><p>In fact, i don't kow if it's from the Mercury configuraton or form the Windows 2003  Firewall.</p><p>The domain has different IP addresses for http and mail exchange. I've managed to get the SMTP end-to-end server to send mail OUT, but i'm having a hard time to receive mail IN.</p><p>For what i know i've correctly configured Mercury. The only problem i think is with DNS server and/or with Windows ISA Server. What speciffic configurations do i need to make in order for Windows 2003 server to allow reception of mail for a computer inside the network. (ISA configuration, publishing, IP filters, DNS configuration). </p><p>To give you an idea, when trying to receive a mail  i can see in Mercury core the sending mail server trying to connect to mercury, but disconnecting immediately.</p><p>Thank you .</p>

> I'm experiencing some problems with my Mercury 32 SMTP server.
>
> In fact, i don't kow if it's from the Mercury configuraton or form
> the Windows 2003  Firewall.
>
> The domain has different IP addresses for http and mail exchange.
> I've managed to get the SMTP end-to-end server to send mail OUT, but
> i'm having a hard time to receive mail IN.
>
> For what i know i've correctly configured Mercury. The only problem
> i think is with DNS server and/or with Windows ISA Server. What
> speciffic configurations do i need to make in order for Windows 2003
> server to allow reception of mail for a computer inside the network.
> (ISA configuration, publishing, IP filters, DNS configuration).

The DNS will resolve the host name to an IP address of an MX host, this is probably your address outside the firewall.

The SMTP hosts will send the mail to this IP address.  

You Mercury/32 server inside the firewall is probably using a 192.168.1.2 form IP address.   

Your router should be setup to send all calls to the external IP address port 25 to this internal IP address.

>
> To give you an idea, when trying to receive a mail  i can see in
> Mercury core the sending mail server trying to connect to mercury,
> but disconnecting immediately.
>
> Thank you .

> I'm experiencing some problems with my Mercury 32 SMTP server. > > In fact, i don't kow if it's from the Mercury configuraton or form > the Windows 2003  Firewall. > > The domain has different IP addresses for http and mail exchange. > I've managed to get the SMTP end-to-end server to send mail OUT, but > i'm having a hard time to receive mail IN. > > For what i know i've correctly configured Mercury. The only problem > i think is with DNS server and/or with Windows ISA Server. What > speciffic configurations do i need to make in order for Windows 2003 > server to allow reception of mail for a computer inside the network. > (ISA configuration, publishing, IP filters, DNS configuration). The DNS will resolve the host name to an IP address of an MX host, this is probably your address outside the firewall. The SMTP hosts will send the mail to this IP address.   You Mercury/32 server inside the firewall is probably using a 192.168.1.2 form IP address.    Your router should be setup to send all calls to the external IP address port 25 to this internal IP address. > > To give you an idea, when trying to receive a mail  i can see in > Mercury core the sending mail server trying to connect to mercury, > but disconnecting immediately. > > Thank you .

Running any kind of publicly accessible server within the scope of your very internal LAN already is one of the worst ideas. If that LAN, then, is "protected" with an ISA server, makes tings even worse. I have quite a lot of customers who actually ran into so many problems with such a setup.

Public servers have to be setup within a DMZ, isolating them pretty much from the LAN.

This advise is meant for medium to large businesses. Private or small installations are then better off with a strong firewall and/or NAT configuration in front, but still without the troublemaker "ISA".

<p>Running any kind of publicly accessible server within the scope of your very internal LAN already is one of the worst ideas. If that LAN, then, is "protected" with an ISA server, makes tings even worse. I have quite a lot of customers who actually ran into so many problems with such a setup.</p><p>Public servers have to be setup within a DMZ, isolating them pretty much from the LAN.</p><p> This advise is meant for medium to large businesses. Private or small installations are then better off with a strong firewall and/or NAT configuration in front, but still without the troublemaker "ISA".</p><p> </p><p>  </p>

More information is needed to say what is happening. Let me know your domain name so I can try to connect from here and see what the result is.

/Rolf

<p>More information is needed to say what is happening. Let me know your domain name so I can try to connect from here and see what the result is.</p><p> /Rolf  </p>
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft