Community Discussions and Support
Automatic Address Completion Woes- Setting which of several similar aliases appears first

Thank you, Bob, for "Adam-IBM, Bob-IBM, Claire-IBM help?  More surefire might be AdamIBM, BobIBM, ClaireIBM"...

The thing is, I want to have my contacts at, say, IBM close to one another in my address book, but I want one of them (other than the alphabetically-first) be the "default" person at IBM.... so if I am writing him, "IBM" is enough to find him the suggested contact. (For Adam at IBM, I would only have to add the A (or -A))

And this MOSTLY works. It's just that there's something weird in how Pegasus filters down, as you enter more and more letters. Getting one of the IBM addresses first, consistently, is always tricky, and sometimes beyond my many hours (literally... who needs "a life"?) of trying variations on many themes. I'd hate, in order to get "Bob" first, to have to go to...

IBM1- Bob

IBM2- Adam

IBM2- Claire

... but it is my next best guess now, unless someone can help.

<p>Thank you, Bob, for "Adam-IBM, Bob-IBM, Claire-IBM help?  More surefire might be AdamIBM, BobIBM, ClaireIBM"...</p><p>The thing is, I want to have my contacts at, say, IBM close to one another in my address book, but I want one of them (other than the alphabetically-first) be the "default" person at IBM.... so if I am writing him, "IBM" is enough to find him the suggested contact. (For Adam at IBM, I would only have to add the A (or -A))</p><p>And this MOSTLY works. It's just that there's something weird in how Pegasus filters down, as you enter more and more letters. Getting one of the IBM addresses first, consistently, is always tricky, and sometimes beyond my many hours (literally... who needs "a life"?) of trying variations on many themes. I'd hate, in order to get "Bob" first, to have to go to...</p><p>IBM1- Bob</p><p>IBM2- Adam</p><p>IBM2- Claire</p><p>... but it is my next best guess now, unless someone can help. </p>

(Using Version 4.72.572, Feb 19 2016, build ID 572)

For years, address completion has made me tear my hair.

Let's say I write 3 people at IBM... Adam Bob Claire.

"Name" entries in my address book: IBM-Adam, IBM-Bob, IBM-Claire.

And suppose, when I start a new email, I USUALLY want to write Bob.

SOMETIMES if I put a space between the hypen and "Bob", that "promotes" Bob up the list, and I get "IBM- Bob" suggested by auto-complete as soon as I type just IBM. This is what I want. But it doesn't work consistently. (It "does what it does" consistently, between changes to entries in addressbook... I just can find no way to always get "IBM-Bob" first, auto-suggested, when I type "IBM".)

Yes, I re-index the address book after making changes to what's in it.
Yes I re-sort the addressbook. (What I see then seems particularly un-related to what auto-suggest presents. The order just after "re-index" seems closer.)
Yes, in Tools/Options/Outgoing/Messages&Replies I have ONLY "Addressbook" ticked in "Address completion: Complete Addresses from..."
Yes, "Address Book Properties" I have no boxes ticked except the "Double-click" starts new message.
Yes, I always make a change to the e-mail address if I change anything in an address book record (other changes often don't "take" unless you do this. Then you have to change it back again to the right email address, of course... tedious!!.. and "shouldn't"(?) be necessary?)

Sigh.

PLEASE help me with this? I've wasted hours struggling without result over the years.

(Using Version 4.72.572, Feb 19 2016, build ID 572) For years, address completion has made me tear my hair. Let's say I write 3 people at IBM... Adam Bob Claire. "Name" entries in my address book: IBM-Adam, IBM-Bob, IBM-Claire. And suppose, when I start a new email, I USUALLY want to write Bob. SOMETIMES if I put a space between the hypen and "Bob", that "promotes" Bob up the list, and I get "IBM- Bob" suggested by auto-complete as soon as I type just IBM. This is what I want. [b]But it doesn't work consistently.[/b] (It "does what it does" consistently, between changes to entries in addressbook... I just can find no way to always get "IBM-Bob" first, auto-suggested, when I type "IBM".) Yes, I re-index the address book after making changes to what's in it. Yes I re-sort the addressbook. (What I see then seems particularly un-related to what auto-suggest presents. The order just after "re-index" seems closer.) Yes, in Tools/Options/Outgoing/Messages&Replies I have ONLY "Addressbook" ticked in "Address completion: Complete Addresses from..." Yes, "Address Book Properties" I have no boxes ticked except the "Double-click" starts new message. Yes, I always make a change to the e-mail address if I change anything in an address book record (other changes often don't "take" unless you do this. Then you have to change it back again to the right email address, of course... tedious!!.. and "shouldn't"(?) be necessary?) Sigh. PLEASE help me with this? I've wasted hours struggling without result over the years.

I agree this feature is somewhat clumsy. Anyway, I noted that checking Apply the e-mail address instead of the alias in Addressbook properties does affect address (Shift+F3) auto-completion.

I agree this feature is somewhat clumsy. Anyway, I noted that checking <b>Apply the e-mail address instead of the alias</b> in Addressbook properties does affect address (Shift+F3) auto-completion.

-- Euler

Pegasus Mail 4.81.1154 Windows 7 Ultimate
IERenderer: 2.7.1.5 AttachMenu: 1.0.1.2
PMDebug: 2.5.8.34 BearHTML 4.9.9.6

Thank you Euler for the Thing To Try...

Alas, it didn't solve the issue I was having. I find that auto-complete ALMOST works, fine, for my wants... EXCEPT that (going back to the example I gave in OP) I cannot find a way to, say, get "IBM-Bob" to be auto-complete's "first guess" as to what I want when I type "IBM"

<p>Thank you Euler for the Thing To Try...</p><p>Alas, it didn't solve the issue I was having. I find that auto-complete ALMOST works, fine, for my wants... EXCEPT that (going back to the example I gave in OP) I cannot find a way to, say, get "IBM-Bob" to be auto-complete's "first guess" as to what I want when I type "IBM" </p><p> </p>

Would flipping your thinking to entries like Adam-IBM, Bob-IBM, Claire-IBM help?  More surefire might be AdamIBM, BobIBM, ClaireIBM.

Would flipping your thinking to entries like Adam-IBM, Bob-IBM, Claire-IBM help?  More surefire might be AdamIBM, BobIBM, ClaireIBM.

[quote user="Sheepdog"]

Thank you Euler for the Thing To Try...

Alas, it didn't solve the issue I was having. I find that auto-complete ALMOST works, fine, for my wants... EXCEPT that (going back to the example I gave in OP) I cannot find a way to, say, get "IBM-Bob" to be auto-complete's "first guess" as to what I want when I type "IBM"

[/quote]

As said already, been there, done that. I guess you could also try the KEY field. It is CAPS-only, but may work. It is length limited too.

Other thing I noticed is that auto-completion doesn't work if name contains diacritics. It must be all ASCII.

[quote user="Sheepdog"]<p>Thank you Euler for the Thing To Try...</p><p>Alas, it didn't solve the issue I was having. I find that auto-complete ALMOST works, fine, for my wants... EXCEPT that (going back to the example I gave in OP) I cannot find a way to, say, get "IBM-Bob" to be auto-complete's "first guess" as to what I want when I type "IBM" </p><p> </p><p>[/quote]</p><p>As said already, been there, done that. I guess you could also try the KEY field. It is CAPS-only, but may work. It is length limited too.</p><p>Other thing I noticed is that auto-completion doesn't work if name contains diacritics. It must be all ASCII. </p>

-- Euler

Pegasus Mail 4.81.1154 Windows 7 Ultimate
IERenderer: 2.7.1.5 AttachMenu: 1.0.1.2
PMDebug: 2.5.8.34 BearHTML 4.9.9.6

live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft